"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yet another dismal performance.

You reap what you sow Brendan - you bought Kolo and Sakho and if you play them both at the same time you know you're shipping a minimum of 2 goals before you start.

Note the only LFC player to miss? Yep - the England international.
  • Just read report on Liverpool game, 30 penalties. @-)
    Yeah my brother told me i think that they won 14-13 on penalties! :)) Madness!
  • Think the gap has closed dramatically between so called top teams and other sides. Inflated prices of so called top players, is seeming to be undone by work rate more often than not.
    Liverpool away next round last time this happened in the same round we went on to win it
    Please let lightning strike twice :D
  • largo2 wrote: »
    Liverpool away next round last time this happened in the same round we went on to win it
    Please let lightning strike twice :D

I was at that game (Liverpool supporter), not a game I'd like to see repeated. However, the way LFC are playing at the moment you never know.....

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    jobo wrote: »
    As expected the signing of Falcao does not cover up Uniteds allarming defensive weaknesses. Letting in five goals against Leicester... Oh dear! Makes you wonder how they will fare against City and Chelsea...
    And still people underate Leicester. Bring it on.

I'm a Leicester fan so i know perfectly well what they are capable of. Unfortunately LVG did not. He said he knew about Leicester then told us about the long ball game etc. So, basically he knew nothing.

We have been watching Vardy terrorise defenses for 2 years now, but LVG knew nothing about him or how to play him. And when Leicester were nutmegging the Utd defence over and over again, I think he finally saw the Leicester that the fans have been watching.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2014 Posts: 10,512
    NicNac wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    As expected the signing of Falcao does not cover up Uniteds allarming defensive weaknesses. Letting in five goals against Leicester... Oh dear! Makes you wonder how they will fare against City and Chelsea...
    And still people underate Leicester. Bring it on.

I'm a Leicester fan so i know perfectly well what they are capable of. Unfortunately LVG did not. He said he knew about Leicester then told us about the long ball game etc. So, basically he knew nothing.

We have been watching Vardy terrorise defenses for 2 years now, but LVG knew nothing about him or how to play him. And when Leicester were nutmegging the Utd defence over and over again, I think he finally saw the Leicester that the fans have been watching.

I don't think it's that LVG knew nothing, as United's attack were tearing Leicester a new one for about 60 mins. The problems for United arose when Leicester got the bit between their teeth and the new United midfielders weren't up for the fight - which is a problem when your defence is Chris Smalling. LVG's biggest mistake was switching Di Maria and Falcao for Mata and Januzaj. I can see Vardy getting a few against the big sides this season.
    Is LVG getting a little hot under the collar? The press can be very annoying but the worst thing you can do is provoke them!
    Well? It's Norwich versus Blackpool tomorrow peeps! I know?!!! Control your excitement! ;) Roll on the banter between me and my cousin from yes? You guessed it? Blackpool!
    Another great second half away performance again boys against Blackpool! Great to see Josh Murphy score a goal who is a product of our academy! Well done lads! Now where is my cousin from Blackpool? Not seen or heard off him all day? :-?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Football is so 19th century.
  • Football is so 19th century.

Don't bother with it and just keep on enjoying the 21st century high speed sport of Baseball.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Football is so 19th century.

Don't bother with it and just keep on enjoying the 21st century high speed sport of Baseball.

Everyone needs a hobby! ;)
    Well? Congrats to Charlton on beating us tonight although from what i hear? It was a smash and grab job 4 minutes from time. Having said that you need to put chances away when you have 60% possession.

But then again we remain top on a single goal difference. I would have taken that if someone asked me before the season started after 10 games would you be happy with that?
    I thought Wolves would take over from us at the top of the Championship tonight? But it looks like they have choked against Huddersfield tonight!

That is a nice bonus seeing as we slipped up last night! Roll on our next fixture against Rotheram on saturday!!!! :D
    What has happened to Liverpool? Fair enough that their defence has always been suspect, and that Suarez leaves a hole impossible to fill, but this massive drop in performance level from last year has to be about more than that...?
    This notion that Real will be in with a massive bid for Sterling in the summer is utterly laughable frankly. He's half the player Owen was at his age.

His finishing is shit and his decision making in the final third is awful. Did you see when he was clean through and just scuffed the ball back to the keeper with a touch that would've embarrassed Heskey?

Take away his pace and what's he got? Just another Lennon or Theo isn't he?

And don't get me started on that Markovic - shocking, positively shocking.

Brendan skating on thin ice here if this doesn't pick up very soon because this is relegation form.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Phew! De Gea saves Baines penalty. Half time Man United 1- 0 Everton. Di Maria scorer.

United really making it hard for themselves, nerve wracking! X_X

Though a win is a win is a win!!!

United 2 - 1 Everton. Great saves from De Gea! At least Falcao is off the mark with his first United goal. :-bd
    Glad to see United winning.
    Well i certainly didn't expect us to be still top going into the international break?!!! Bonus considering we have slipped up a couple of times lately!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Death, Taxes, beating San Marino at football.

My prediction England 8 - 0 San Marino.

30 minutes in, best way to describe England is ordinary.
    Just to put it into context Germany smashed Brazil to the tune of 2 more goals than we managed against this dross.

Watching England is like watching a different sport England compared to sides like Germany and Argentina.
    That my friends is why I didn't even bother to watch it! :-q
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I am very amused Netherlands - Kazakhstan 0-1 16 minutes into the game. And this was the opponent they would roll up. Hihihi

But still it was a rather one sided affair so the Netherlands won with 3-1.
    England nearly conceded in first minute against Estonia :-O

So what, the Dutch lost their first match, the Germans lost against Poland so why would the English fare any better. ;)

It seems to me the better some teams find themselves the harder they fall. Which is one of the charming things I like about the sport. But still you have to play really crap this qualification series to no qualify for the final tournament.
    SaintMark wrote: »

So what, the Dutch lost their first match, the Germans lost against Poland so why would the English fare any better. ;)

It seems to me the better some teams find themselves the harder they fall. Which is one of the charming things I like about the sport. But still you have to play really crap this qualification series to no qualify for the final tournament.

Not to mention that Spain lost to Slovakia a few days ago.
    :-O
    Didn't miss much then regards England? Will sleep well tonight! :D
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Now the Norwegian national team has won two games in a row! (And that doesn't happen to often... ;)) ) And that with a young and relatively inexperienced side, including a fifteen year old boy who yesterday became the youngest player in a European national competition ever. Maybe there's some potential in Norwegian football after all? :-O Wouldn't bet on it though... ;)