Come on, guys! TND isn't all THAT bad.

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Same here. It's not quite a favourite but it's an entertaining film that's easy to watch on a quiet day.

I was half expecting you to say TND!

Love OP - full of classic moments and some real tension. A crazy mix of locations and tone, but adds up to a lot of fun. Rog close to his best, IMO, although getting on a bit!

It is a John Glen movie, which is no bad thing in my opinion. He was one of the best Bond directors IMO. He was working without Ken Adam's amazing sets, but he still manages to convey a real sense of excitement. His pacing is always very good. More recent directors could have learnt a thing or two from watching his films.

Speaking of which, TND probably comes closest in the sense that it is a neat, snappy and fast paced little movie.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    Same here. It's not quite a favourite but it's an entertaining film that's easy to watch on a quiet day.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I really don't think there's anything sticking out when it comes to these two movies, but I still enjoy them both.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Glenn's a bit of a mixed bag. He's an alrite director but at times could be bad. OP isn't too bad but AVTAK is simply poor. TND is better than that film IMO. It's got more life and energy whereas View is tired, clumsy and bland.
    Just the HALO jump in TND is superior to all of View.
    OP definitely feels classier than TND though. Bond at the auction, his early encounters with the exotic OP and of course Kamahl Kahn all give the film a slightly more sophisticated feel. Dies is kind of routine in comparison. Probably the best bits of the film are in the first 40 mins. I like Dies but it's kind of forgettable.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    YOLT is far higher in my personal rankings. I love the assault on the volcano, if that's what you're referring to. The combat is much more persona,l and it is not just senseless noise (both visually and auditory).
    Not senseless? Question: what really happens when a grenade goes off? Answer: people fall down, they don't FLY IN THE AIR. :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The same thing happens in TSWLM.
    And I like it there too, but the point is that by comparison the assault in TND isn't all that 'senseless'.
    :)>-
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    All Bond movies have varying degrees of action in them, It's pretty pointless to complain about it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote: »
    And I like it there too, but the point is that by comparison the assault in TND isn't all that 'senseless'.
    :)>-

I know, I was pointing out the similarities.
    I know, I was pointing out the similarities.
    Cool bro. B-)
    Ludovico wrote: »
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies discussion. Positive and Negative comments are appreciated.
    TND is my favorite film in the series. I do not really know why, it just is. Probably the mix of gadgets and a good Bond along with a nice story. TMWTGG is a close second.

As a kid I loved the film. It had the real James Bond music. It had one hell of a parking garage car chase. It had an older Blofeld-esque villain.

That is one thing TND did right I think: an older, seasoned villain. Not the perfectly written villain, but the casting was inspired.

Yes, but if a Bond film is only a calculation of typical Bond elements, than eventually it goes wrong.

True. Carver was a bit by the number, yet another evil businessman.
    He was unique in that he had a long term strategy for a short term goal. He might be the most unstable villain ever.
    He was unique in that he had a long term strategy for a short term goal. He might be the most unstable villain ever.

I always thought his plan was a bit of a long shot too. Too many variables could make it fail. But maybe that was simply Carver's hubris. I do love the casting and think Jonathan Pryce made wonders with the character.
    Best villain of the Brosnans era
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Best villain of the Brosnans era

Agreed and also Ourumov was fine too.

Jonathan Pryce had a blast as Carver and really he's why I like TND a lot. Very close memories to TSWLM especially the Sea Vac attack at beginning and also climax on Stealth Boat.

Bond and Wai Lin certainly were a great pair up.

Music score fresh and upbeat but the ending Surrender theme song works well despite not being the main title song.

The ending theme is, interestingly, better than the title theme.
    You know it was to be the main title song, right? All the music in the film reflects it, but then someone snagged Crow...b-(

So it the original title.
    I dunno, I quite like Tomorrow Never Dies as opposed to Tomorrow Never Lies, especially since everybody knows all newspapers lie in some way.
    I dunno, I quite like Tomorrow Never Dies as opposed to Tomorrow Never Lies, especially since everybody knows all newspapers lie in some way.

That's what I love about the original title. And it does have a more mysterious ring to it. I think it is someone who said that it is even true: Tomorrow never lies, not in its front page titles anyway.
    On the contrary, they lie by omission. 17 British Sailors Murdered, by ammunition used by the Chinese air force, with the omission of Tomorrow's own staff pulls the trigger.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TND just feels generic and paint-by-numbers. There are moments that are interesting--the initial meeting with Paris, Dr. Kaufmann, the hint of torture in the Vietnam high rise, Bond's anger in the final showdown with Carver--but there is very little follow-through by the film on these ideas.

TND, TWINE, and DAD share an additional problem: the lack of exotic locations.
    echo wrote: »
    What about Kowloon bay???
    What about Koh-Ping-Gan Island, Phang Nga Bay, Thailand???

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Hmm, I think Tomorrow Never Lies sounds better. Tomk
    TND just feels generic and paint-by-numbers. There are moments that are interesting--the initial meeting with Paris, Dr. Kaufmann, the hint of torture in the Vietnam high rise, Bond's anger in the final showdown with Carver--but there is very little follow-through by the film on these ideas.

I have many problems with DAD and TND, but the lack of exotic locations isn't one of them. Besides, the second half of TND is entirely exotic, and DAD has Cuba.
    Except it's not Cuba.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Well, at least you have Rays of sunshine in Spain rather than a soundstage at Pinewood.
    I think they should have a general rule that if you can't film there, you don't set the movie there.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think they should have a general rule that if you can't film there, you don't set the movie there.
    Eh, movies are all illusion anyway.
    :-??