Come on, guys! TND isn't all THAT bad.

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think they should have a general rule that if you can't film there, you don't set the movie there.
    Eh, movies are all illusion anyway.
    :-??

True. But Bond sort of prides itself on (usually) using actual locations. It's just that if you've been to Cuba, and you've been to Cadiz, you know the difference and it becomes distracting to see one used as another location.

I suppose it doesn't matter too much when generic landscapes are used (as in Turkey doubling for the South China Sea), but when cities are used it becomes a bit annoying. Why set those QoS scenes in Haiti, when they might as well have just been set in Panama, where they were filmed. Think it was Panama any way.
    In FRWL, didn't they have Scotland passing for Italy?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think they should have a general rule that if you can't film there, you don't set the movie there.

There go the Star Wars movies! :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Not to mention Star Trek. Superman. Batman.
    I was thinking of Bond movies, but if applied strictly the rule might have had the happy effect of saving us from some of the worst parts of MR!
    I was thinking of Bond movies, but if applied strictly the rule might have had the happy effect of saving us from some of the worst parts of MR!
    Always looking to the bright side, eh @Getafix;371613!
    ;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    371613?

Hope that's not your phone number.

All the movies based on Tolkien's work too.

But Star Trek often visits Planet Southern California.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ludovico wrote: »

Especially in the Abrams movies. With a stopover in Planet CGI London.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

With Michael Giacchino following close by to make pun names for his music score titles. ;) (not a bash, I love the guy's music.)

Yes, and the foreign looking uberman Khan is now a skinny white British psycho.

I can at least accept that one.

I can at least accept that one.

I can't. It's a whitewashed Khan.
    Yeah, but good acting.
    Can we keep to the subject at hand please? We do have a Star Trek thread.

TND is great. It's pure fun. A good followup to the wonderful GoldenEye.
    Murdock wrote: »
    TND is great. It's pure fun. A good followup to the wonderful GoldenEye.
    I watched TND last month, and I watched GE two weeks ago, and I have to say that TND is a GREAT follow up to GE. People can throw around phrases like 'generic' and 'box-ticking' all they want, but TND was Brosnan's YOLT done even better (and I love YOLT).
    Want gritty? Look to FRWL or QOS- TND was grand Bond entertainment, big time.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think the PTS is one of the best of the series.
    "What does he think he's DOING?!"
    Yeah, but good acting.

Acting was great, the way Khan was written was utter rubbish. And it was bad casting, regardless of Cumberbatch's acting ability.
    Khan was in TND??? Where?
    ;)
    He's lurking around in the background, generally slipping...

Into Darkness.
  • "Khanwhatthehellareyoudoinghere?"
    "There's no news... Like bad news! Now, shall we begin?"
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,252
    Just re-evaluating this...it's far from the best Bond film, in fact its near the bottom at the moment...but putting my non-critical hat on, Brosnan looks and acts so damn cool in this movie. So smooth and handsome and with the awesome BMW, this was probably the movie (along with GE) that got me into 007. He makes me want to be James Bond and I still think he's the most handsome of the six. There's a few scenes especially the BMW parking lot chase / Dr Kaufman that are so re-watchable even though it doesn't make much sense. After my next marathon I'm totally going to have to adjust its ranking.

Wow that was a random and sudden revelation for me, haven't been so positive about this film for a long time. Feeling very nostalgic right now
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    It's not a bad film at all. # 2 among the Brosnan Bonds (after GE) for me.

They at least tried to make a Bond film here, even if it was not completely successful.

I liked the ambitious plot (it was not executed all that well but the premise was intelligent & very interesting). China was rising then, and so there was some foresight in using them. Pacing was pretty good.

The amazing stuntwork (without CGI) with the BMW, the jet pre-titles & the bike chase reminded me of the great Bonds of old.

Brosnan looked good and for the most part, did a good job (melodrama in the hotel room with Paris aside).

Dr. Kaufmann was great. Stamper was boring & too derivative of other blond Bond thugs.

Fight scenes were very poorly choreographed (embarassing compared to GE).

Personally, I did not like the female casting choices that much. I did not like Wai Lin (I remember they were talking about a spinoff for her at one point and I was shocked) & I especially did not like Paris (wooden acting & not believable to me).

Carver himself was good (like a spoiled brat). "What do you mean you don't know. Get out! Your fired"

The finale was weak & could have been done better. I agree that Hamburg was likely the best part along with the pretitles.

I thought Arnold's score was ok, but many of you may know by now that I don't have a great opinion of him (his adulation for and obvious imitation of the Master notwithstanding).

So overall, very good for the Brosnan era, but that unfortunately means it still ranks quite low in the overall scheme of things (within the 50 year history) for me.
    Bond's intro to Carver is a highlight of the first two acts,
    Someone mentioned this on another thread, but having a previous Bond girl as Paris would have helped with the emotional story line.

That's a really good idea.
    Someone mentioned this on another thread, but having a previous Bond girl as Paris would have helped with the emotional story line.

Paris was originally going to be Natalyla at one point. Kinda glad it wasn't though as she's my favorite Bond girl.
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote: »

Paris was originally going to be Natalyla at one point. Kinda glad it wasn't though as she's my favorite Bond girl.

I really like the idea of this kind of continuity. It's a shame, but I can understand that they rely on new blood to fuel the media circus surrounding the casting. Sadly it looks like the first returning Bond girl, shall we say, might be MP and that I would not like one bit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »
    Sadly it looks like the first returning Bond girl, shall we say, might be MP and that I would not like one bit.

I share your disappointment with this. Truly I do.....

Natalya returning in TND would have been great. Pity it never happened. Hatcher was a real 'B' on set as well apparently, so I'm sure they regret their decision.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hatcher was a real 'B' on set as well apparently, so I'm sure they regret their decision.
    Ah, give the girl a break; she was pregnant.
    ;)