Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    CAP2_zps5d9f3f70.jpg

the last time i saw Cap 2 was in theaters.. since the film came out this week on dvd, i went earlier tonight and picked up a blu-ray copy of it.... i forgot how amazing this movie was..

btw, the poster design is my own :)
    Cool poster mate, watched Winter soldier have as dozen times. For me one of best superhero movies ever made.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Das Boot (1981)
    The Magnificent Seven (1960)
    The Abyss (1989)
    Alien 3 (1992)

I waited a long time to watch Alien 3 and 4, due to all the bad things I heard about them. But I must say I really liked the 3rd Alien film :) Not as good as the first 2, but still quite good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007

Das Boot is a great film. And the soundtrack is just memorable, like a tune that gets stuck in your head. ;-)

Glad you like Fincher's take on Alien, or at least whatever Fox allowed him to put in there. Which version did you watch?
  • Alien 3 (1992)

I waited a long time to watch Alien 3 and 4, due to all the bad things I heard about them. But I must say I really liked the 3rd Alien film :) Not as good as the first 2, but still quite good.
    Alien 3 has a bad rep. It's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.
    The biggest issues (for me anyway) was that the teaser trailer clearly teased that it would take place on Earth and it didn't.
    Two- they killed very likeable characters from part 2 right off the bat
    Hicks, Newt, and (sort of) Bishop
    And lastly, and it's more nitpicky than anything else, every character (even Ripley) looked identical. It depersonalized the characters a bit. Whenever someone died I was like 'whoop there goes another bald guy in raggedy clothes.... What was his name again?'

But beyond that I did like Alien 3 and I still come back and watch if now and then.

On the other hand I watched Alien 4 one time on DVD and never revisited it. That movie sucked.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi the special edition :)

@MasterDahark I agree with your post because earlier today I saw...

Alien: Resurrection (1997) and didn't like it :(

I also just finished...

Godzilla (1998) and I was cringing the whole film. What purpose did Jean Reno serve apart from drinking coffee all the time? :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, Das Boot is great! That takes me back in time, saw it decades ago.
  • @MasterDahark I agree with your post because earlier today I saw...

The one fun part of the whole movie was when Sigourney Weaver made that basketball shot without looking (for real) and Ron Perlman said something to the effect of 'Holy shit'-- it was his actual genuine reaction
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    new-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-poster-lands-155226-a-1391176963-470-75.jpg
    I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater. It wouldn't have felt right going alone. I loved the film. It brought me joy and somewhat restored my faith that good compelling movies can be made. It was nice to see the action toned back to let the story and characters flow. Had a great balance of all the right elements and nothing felt bogged down for plot convenience. It's unfortunate that my father couldn't see it due to his untimely passing, but had he been alive to see it. I think he would have loved it very much. I could feel him watching it with and that makes me all the more happier.

Best movie of 2014 so far.

The one fun part of the whole movie was when Sigourney Weaver made that basketball shot without looking (for real) and Ron Perlman said something to the effect of 'Holy shit'-- it was his actual genuine reaction

Actually I quite liked the re-imagining of Ripley and the part she plays in the greed of humanity. The whole movie is actually quite good until the ALIEN lets it down a we bit. Had the Alien been better nobody would have complained as loud as they did. I guess most folks prefer the insect-like Aliens over the more human-like Alien.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    HASEROT wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

Actually I quite liked the re-imagining of Ripley and the part she plays in the greed of humanity. The whole movie is actually quite good until the ALIEN lets it down a we bit. Had the Alien been better nobody would have complained as loud as they did. I guess most folks prefer the insect-like Aliens over the more human-like Alien.

her performance felt phoned-in for me.. the movie had potential, but it's hampered by a lead actress who doesn't really look like she wants to be there and hammy overacting supporting characters - even the reliable Brad Douriff ends up chewing the hell out of the scenery in this film... i dont know... i just never enjoyed it from the first time i saw it back when it came out.... it had some interesting concepts, and the CGI for the time on the Aliens themselves was actually well done... but it just lacked that "something" that the 3 other Alien films had.

I do concur with you, but for me all 4 Alien movies are different and have a different style which works for me. It is absolutely not the best of the quartet but I prefer it over the third one which is a muddled affair, and considering its history is explainable. I actually like the French director and his work which can be seen in the 4th movie as well. His alternative ending is a hoot and a half for me.

For me all 4 Alien movies are vastly superior to the spin-off movies. And I would not mind another outing besides Ridley Scotts new sequel with a aging Ripley that has seen the universe fall due to excessive greed.
    Prometheus (2012) Amazing! The film is gorgeous to look at, i liked the story, the acting was good, special effects are awesome! Goes back to the greatness of the first 2 Alien films.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014) Very disappointing. Nothing happens in the first hour, and the ending battles are over way to quickly. The special effects were also quite dodgy for a 2014 block-buster movie. While I prefer Amazing Spiderman 1 to Raimi's 1st Spiderman, I much prefer the 2004 Spiderman to the 2nd 'Amazing Spiderman' outing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    201223103813530.JPG

9 years after the first film, and Beckett (Berenger) is back in this above average DTV sequel. This one lacks the tension of the first, but still still enjoyable enough, and Berenger slips back into character as though he had been playing it regularly in the intervening years.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Predator - Arnies best? Strong contender. Its between Barbarian this and Recall for me. Bluray Ultimate Edition is vivid, at times stunning. One of my favourite movie's got better.Extras on this disk are very good.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Predator - Arnies best? Strong contender. Its between Barbarian this and Recall for me. Bluray Ultimate Edition is vivid, at times stunning. One of my favourite movie's got better.Extras on this disk are very good.
    I was thinking about picking that up, even though I had it on DVD. Good to hear it looks so great; I bet it is beautiful, with the locations and everything.

And yeah it's definitely one of Arnold's best. On par with Commando as far as 80's action insanity goes (is Arnold even acting in that one, or just being himself, lol)
    Bad Ass (2012) So bad... but it was fun :P I watched it while waiting for the Champions League tonight, the 90 minutes went by very fast. Danny Trejo was being his usual self, straight face taking no prisonners. My god the special effect were awful!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    @Master_Dahark had the standard Bluray version previously and the contrast between the two is immense. Managed to pick up ultimate edition for £5 been looking to get it myself for sometime. The extras are very good, as you would expect with the cast involved. Must buy for any fan of the movie.

Watching Poltergeist on Bluray looks fantastic, Jobeth Williams looks wow, her and kirsty alley when I was growing up...

This film has lost none of its intensity, one of those rare movies that transcends.

B-)
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    new-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-poster-lands-155226-a-1391176963-470-75.jpg
    I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater. It wouldn't have felt right going alone. I loved the film. It brought me joy and somewhat restored my faith that good compelling movies can be made. It was nice to see the action toned back to let the story and characters flow. Had a great balance of all the right elements and nothing felt bogged down for plot convenience. It's unfortunate that my father couldn't see it due to his untimely passing, but had he been alive to see it. I think he would have loved it very much. I could feel him watching it with and that makes me all the more happier.

Best movie of 2014 so far.

Black Widow looks like she really has to go to the bathroom in that poster!

I too missed in theaters but the reviews were so strong I just bought the bluray blindly. I wasn't disappointed- outstanding movie!!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Back in the Seventies it was "Make mine Marvel".
    The more things change.... :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47, try to stop me. :) The sequel is within a few inches of my keyboard. ;-)

I'm not seeing a review! ;)

'Fatal Attraction'

Finally got around to seeing this after I saw the ending of it playing on a TV in a different film my girlfriend got me to watch. I loved it. Glenn Close was phenomenal in it, and it was intense and thrilling throughout.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Creasy47, try to stop me. :) The sequel is within a few inches of my keyboard. ;-)

I'm not seeing a review! ;)

True, but then I am waiting for the proper occasion to watch the film. ;-)

The Firm (1993)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Magnum Force (1973)
    Saw I (2004)
    Evil Dead II (1987)
    Army of Darkness (1992)
    Halloween II (2009)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Last movie I watched was A MOST WANTED MAN based on John Le Carré's novel, and on e of the last movies of the (lamenatbly) late Philipp Seymour Hoffmann. As with Le Carré novels and their movie adaption (CONTSANT GARDENER and TAYLOR, TINER, SOLDER, SPY), it's not an action packed spy trhriller, tension develops slowly and the characters are given time to develop. Seymour Hoffmann is clearly the centre and heart of the film, but the other actors also brilliant, amazingly many of them German, but then the movie's main location is Hamburg. Willem Dafoe, Rachel McAdams, Nina Hoss, Daniel Brühl, and Ronin Wright also give top notch perforamnce. If you like this kind of spy movie, don't miss on it.
    @DaltonCraig007

Excellent choices! What did you think of Saw and Halloween II?
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    The Firm (1993)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Magnum Force (1973)
    Saw I (2004)
    Evil Dead II (1987)
    Army of Darkness (1992)
    Halloween II (2009)
    All good movies (except for the last one)
    I just happened to watch Dirty Harry the other night and it still holds up. Magnum Force gets a bad rep-- many people call it the worst one but I like it a lot.
    @DaltonCraig007

Excellent choices! What did you think of Saw and Halloween II?
    I second that. I'll never forget seeing Saw on opening night in a packed theatre with my college room mate and everyones jaw hit the floor at the ending. Such an impact that it started a tradition of seeing every one opening night for the next 7 years! Even the years when we lived nowhere near each other we made it work, lol

Halloween 2 on the other hand, that was just terrible. I pre-ordered the whole Halloween set and I can practically guarantee that disk will never get touched by my hands! On the other hand I'm excited about the new one they're making-- for the first time ever, we're getting a 'Halloween 3' with Michael Myers in it! Should be fun when it's within sight-- so far they're not quite filming yet
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,690
    I loved the 2007 Halloween movie, but as @Master_Dahark said, I also didn't like Haloween II. Saw was amazing! Loved it. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire film! And I agree with @Dahark on a 2nd point. I thought Magnum Force was brilliant.
    @DaltonCraig007

Magnum Force is my favourite in the series. The music is great, the political subtext very thought provoking and the climax is a sure winner. I rank the DH films like this:

- MF
    - DH

- SI

- TDP
    - TE
  • @DarthDimi

Magnum Force is my favourite DH movie too.

A young David Soul, Tim Matheson and Robert Ulrich as the rookies and also Hal Holbrook is a bonus in any film. A great character actor.

"A man's got to know his limitations".

:-)
    Hannah Arendt
    Good movie about the intelectual life of Arendt, focusing on her work about the trial on Eichmann. I recommend it for people interested on philosophy and politics.