Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007

Magnum Force is my favourite in the series. The music is great, the political subtext very thought provoking and the climax is a sure winner. I rank the DH films like this:

- MF
    - DH

- SI

- TDP
    - TE
    Aw I like The Enforcer a lot! :(
    My ranking would be
    DH
    MF
    TE
    SI
    TDP

And though I ranked Dead Pool last, it doesn't mean I don't still like it- all solid movies.
    Dead Pool was Clint's View to a Kill in a way-- his last one, while not bad at all, but maybe a bit too old? It's debatable I suppose.
    Being an Inspector with the Police at age 58 isn't as out of the question as being freaking Agent OO7. Age 60 is mandatory retirement time at my job!

I wonder if they'll ever remake Dirty Harry-- with Hugh Jackman in present day San Francisco, now carrying a 500 Magnum? That gun would literally 'blow your head clean off'

HughJackmanClintEastwoodLookALikes.jpg
    500Magnum.jpg

That wouldn't be bad really! Hell, Clint could direct it!!
    I loved the 2007 Halloween movie, but as @Master_Dahark said, I also didn't like Haloween II. Saw was amazing! Loved it. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire film! And I agree with @Dahark on a 2nd point. I thought Magnum Force was brilliant.
    Have you seen all the Saw's yet @DaltonCraig007?
    I remember III being my favorite, but I haven't watched them in awhile. I may be due for a marathon since Halloween is getting close.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've just seen the 1st one, @Master_Dahark :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Master_Dahark

I once, many years ago, suggested Jackman for a DH remake and took a digital beating for that. ;-) So I'm glad you back me up.
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 40th Anniversary Blu Ray

safe_image.php?d=AQCwOQXy6wSmZJ9h&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51js3OskNDL._SS500_.jpg&cfs=1&upscale&sx=0&sy=0&sw=500&sh=262

I just bit the bullet and got it while shopping the other day- never a bad thing to buy a classic.
    It was shot on shitty old 16 mm film, so I'm afraid the movie will never look 'new' but they did do the best they could. I have the old DVD around here somewhere and it definitely looks way better. It's a shame better care wasn't taken of the original filmstock because the bluray includes newly discovered deleted scenes and out takes which ironically look even better than the movie (since they've been untouched for 40 years)
    The included documentary is arguably more enjoyable than the movie as they managed to round up all the actors possible (before Marilyn Burns's recent death) and they all reminisced about the shoot, which sounded like hell!

I'm glad I picked it up-- it certainly beats the bare-bones DVD I previously had
    I loved the 2007 Halloween movie, but as @Master_Dahark said, I also didn't like Haloween II. Saw was amazing! Loved it. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire film! And I agree with @Dahark on a 2nd point. I thought Magnum Force was brilliant.
    Have you seen all the Saw's yet @DaltonCraig007?
    I remember III being my favorite, but I haven't watched them in awhile. I may be due for a marathon since Halloween is getting close.
    I've just seen the 1st one, @Master_Dahark :)

I only own the first 3, but it comes in a cool box with a 3D sculpt of the Jigsaw puppet

picture_12.php?id_of_gebot=2671946&size=st&idx=01&tkey=e29beabd9bb51e6d2539c3e5a043b2a6

My girlfriend won't let me display it anywhere she can see it, lol!
    I guess technically they could have just made it a trilogy since
    Jigsaw died at the end of 3 and he really was dead and stayed that way
    but the direction they took for all the rest was good and there was a complete story that ended with part VII.

Each one tried to have a similar 'oh my god' plot twist like the first one, but never had the same impact.

I suppose my ranking would go:
    Saw III
    Saw
    Saw II
    Saw IV
    Saw VII
    Saw V
    Saw VI

I didn't care much for V, VI and VII- to me it just flt like they were milking it and were obligated to make one every year. I should really give VII another shot though, just because it was the last one and it had 'Young Indy' in it, lol. Plus it's the only one that I saw in the theatre and never again. All the other ones I've either owned or rented, and had multiple viewings.
    @Master_Dahark

I once, many years ago, suggested Jackman for a DH remake and took a digital beating for that. ;-) So I'm glad you back me up.
    You bet! In this remake craze we're living in currently, they could do a lot worse than Dirty Harry with Jackman.
    Of course if they really did remake it, Hollywood would likely be dumbasses and cast Shia LaBeouf or Tracy Morgan as Harry, lol
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Magnum Force is my favourite in the series.
    Yeah, I gotta agree. DH is great, but MF just felt so much more fleshed out as a film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta agree. DH is great, but MF just felt so much more fleshed out as a film.

My favorite Dirty Harry film is Sudden Impact.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,575
    Just watched The wolf of wall street.
    I didn't like this film because it was style over substance.
    A boring repetitive movie.

The dirty harry films beat the crap over this film for entertainment............
  • Murdock wrote: »

My favorite Dirty Harry film is Sudden Impact.

This is one of my favourite scenes from the entire series. Eastwood is the epitome of cool here.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mine is The Dead Pool, even with that chase.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Looper Not a perfect film though has some interesting ideas, a better film on second watch. Bruce Willis is reasonably good compared to other recent performances.

Magnum Force is my favourite, David Soul is excellent as is the premice.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    After Earth (2013) Uh... no comment. :-q
    The Spectacular Now (2013) Pretty good
    21 and Over (2013) Hilarious movie, I really liked this one!
    The Simpsons: S2 - S7

Simpsons_couch-1-.jpg

I recently rewatched the first series after so many years and it rekindled the old Simpsons love to such an extent that I have now, over a span of a mere few weeks, completed the next 6 series too.

Perfection is yellow and lives in Springfield.
    This is one of my favourite scenes from the entire series. Eastwood is the epitome of cool here.

OUCH at 2:49 he shot that guy through the butt and right out the front! And with a 44 no less!
    After Earth (2013) Uh... no comment. :-q
    When that was first announced and I heard what the plot was, I was actually excited- what a cool concept!
    Then as it got closer it only went downhill as I saw the cast, who the director was, and finally the trailer. I never did get around to seeing it.
    LOL I remember reading about this movie on other forums- the mere fact that M. Night Shyamalan was directing it sent people into a guessing frenzy about what the inevitable plot twist was. The most humorous one being 'at the end it's revealed that it's really millions of years before humanity, and they show how humans start on Earth.

There wasn't even a plot twist at all was there?
    Nope, no plot twist, @Master_Dahark. And my god is Jaden Smith an awful actor!
    Honestly, I like Jaden very much in The Karate Kid, a film I'm really not supposed to like, I guess, but can't help liking almost as much as the original film. I apologize. ;-) Point is, I thought Jaden was pretty charming in The Karate Kid. I also like his dad. Nepotism? Perhaps, but talent runs in the family and I bet that Jaden can be a big superstar given a few more years of practice. ;-)
  • Superman Returns Bryan Singer has no idea how kryptonite works.
    Superman stands on a kryptonite island and gets beat up easily, then Superman lifts a Kryptonite small continent into space. How much more inconsistent can you get, not forgetting a shard of kryptonite is imbedded in Superman whilst lifting a billion tons.

Probably best part of the movie is the deleted scene when Superman returns to krypton, must be the most expensive deleted scene in cinema history.
    Tropa de Elite 2: The Enemy Within

Elite%20Squad.jpg?itok=rKcpE-LP

One of those rare cases where the sequel surpasses an already great first movie in almost every respect...

WOW!

^:)^

José Padilha is like the Brazilian Michael Mann or something. I am in utter awe. Lula Carvalho's cinematography is pure brilliance, Padilha's writing is spot-on and the acting nears perfection. I am especially fascinated by the messages this film sends out to us. It talks about Left-wing Fascism, about political corruption, about the various ways in which the "system" can be fought... There's no right or wrong in the traditional sense and at one point you'll be forced to make a choice, even if it's the wrong one. It all depends, ultimately, on which interests you have chosen to serve. Forget about the "greater good" if the war on drugs ends with a cure that's worse than the disease.

Here's an anecdote. When I started watching Elite Squad 2, I had fixed me a sandwich. After about 10 minutes, I had finished eating. Usually, that's when I pause a film and put the empty plate back in the kitchen. This time, however, I remained seated, with the plate resting on my lap, and I couldn't even consider pausing the film. It's that good.

Seriously, watch the first Tropa de Elite and then watch this one. You won't be disappointed. This beats Mann's Miami Vice.

5/5
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Clint Eastwood's Firefox just now.
    Great cold-war flick enhanced by terrific FX from John Dykstra of Star Wars & Battlestar Galactica fame.
    I *HAD* to make my own from scratch...
    SANY8355_zpsee736917.jpg
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood's Firefox just now.
    Great cold-war flick enhanced by terrific FX from John Dykstra of Star Wars & Battlestar Galactica fame.
    I *HAD* to make my own from scratch...
    SANY8355_zpsee736917.jpg

I would literally bring physical harm to someone to get my hands on that. ;-)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Firefox is a great spy and heist story with brilliant dogfight scenes, easily one of my favorite airplane movies.

I wish that Eastwood had filmed the sequel novel as well.
    Invictus (2009) What a film! I found myself cheering for the South African team! Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman were great, as well as a very colourful panel of secondary characters. Really good movie!
    Children Of The Corn (1984)

cotc.jpg

I'm probably supposed to say something along the line of "the first, the best" but I can't. I know where we're going and I can think of at least one of the sequels that pleases me more. I will disclose the fact when I get there. ;-)

There's potential in a film adaptation of King's short, though any direct adaptation needs to add extra plot material lest the film be only half an hour long. And that's the part where this one fails IMO. We spend a lot of time driving with Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton and then we spend a lot of time checking out a dead town with Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton, after which we spend a lot of time searching empty houses with Linda Hamilton and Peter Horton. Every now and then something happens though. For example, the film starts strong with John Franklin, as the enigmatic Isaac, instructing the other kids to kill all the adults. This is about as brutal and upsetting as the film will ever get. After this we get introduced to Hamilton and Horton and half a film later we're still following them around with little or nothing transpired meanwhile. Brace yourself for the lovely effects when 'He Who Walks Behind The Rows' appears...

There's potential in Children Of The Corn but the power of the story is lost in the dreadfully high entropy of its filler material. Neither Hamilton, Franklin or Horton can keep my pulse going. And then there's Courtney Gains as Malachai, and I just don't like him. I can barely give this film a pass for a its few brief moments of horror.

Children Of The Corn (1984): 2.5/5
  • Enter the dragon (1973): 7/10
    Papillon (1973): 6/10
    November man, Pierce in good form.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sniper 3
    500px-Sniper3_016.jpg

Proving that you can't keep a no-nonsense marine corps sniper down, Beckett is back in this 2nd sequel. Like the previous film, this is on the upper echelons of DTV films, thanks once more to Berenger. While continuing with Beckett's declining health from the last film, we also get a look at Beckett's formative years during the Vietnam war.

1. Sniper (1993)
    2. Sniper 2 (2002)
    3. Sniper 3 (2004)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Star Trek The motion picture Can't believe a film I love like this one has taken me so long to get on Bluray. Had very low expectations for any improvement from the special edition I have on DVD. Wow I was wrong, this film looks so vivid now, feels like it has more colour and the detail jumps out at you. Hopefully the special edition directors cut will make its way onto Bluray at some point.

The first shot of the Enterprise entering the V'ger cloud is epic. Music, model shot, the lighting, possibly best shot of the Enterprise ever.
    Star Trek The motion picture Can't believe a film I love like this one has taken me so long to get on Bluray. Had very low expectations for any improvement from the special edition I have on DVD. Wow I was wrong, this film looks so vivid now, feels like it has more colour and the detail jumps out at you. Hopefully the special edition directors cut will make its way onto Bluray at some point.
    Sadly, it might never happen. The SP was done in lower resolution and putting it to BR would look so wrong. MAYBE some day they'll re-do it for high-res, but it's
    a big undertaking....
    Some of the effects on the Directors edition look a bit weird too.
    themotionpicture0630Comp.jpg
    That nacelle shot never looked really good unfortunately.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote: »
    There were a few somewhat clumsy moments, but overall I thought the Director's Cut was significantly superiour in that we SAW what V'Ger looked like, and many rushed matte paintings were re-done right. Plus, the Bridge sounds... I'll take the lower res SP version, thanks.
    AND, BR doesn't always help optical FX- my BR of Superman: The Movie looks great yes, but Krypton & its sun exploding look REALLY bad (you can see the black satin sheets).
    :P
    Murdock wrote: »
    There were a few somewhat clumsy moments, but overall I thought the Director's Cut was significantly superiour in that we SAW what V'Ger looked like, and many rushed matte paintings were re-done right. Plus, the Bridge sounds... I'll take the lower res SP version, thanks.
    AND, BR doesn't always help optical FX- my BR of Superman: The Movie looks great yes, but Krypton & its sun exploding look REALLY bad (you can see the black satin sheets).
    :P

Oh I agree. The Director's cut of TMP is the only version I can bare to watch. The new Sound Mix really helped. I hated the original Alarm Klaxon sound. ERNT ERNT ERNT ENRT. Ugh. Unbearable. I need to watch all the TOS films again.