Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,548
    Children of the Corn: Revelation (2001)

childrencorn7-02.jpg

So we quit the thing with the numbers; this is just 'Revelation', not part VII. Makes sense, since none of these films seem to want to have anything to do with previous entries anyway. Take this film for example. We're now in Omaha (Nebraska) where a young girl comes looking for her grandmother in a condemned building but instead encounters weird ghost-like kids and Michael Ironside as a strange priest. And the corn? Yeah, there's corn somewhere in this film, but you need to look for it.

There's also Crystal Lowe in this film. After all, who else do you ask to strip down for a gratuitous topless shot? Final Destination 3, Wrong Turn 2, Black Christmas, ... this girl doesn't mind to show the goods, so surely she can do that in a COTC film too. Well, this may sound weird but her presence may be one of the few things in this film I like. Where's He Who Walks Behind The Rows by the way? Where are the preaching children? Where's the revelation the title promises?

The setting is okay; I like horror films that mostly take place in buildings. But I need more, a lot more. I need scares, a story, ... I get so little, a girl's naked chest is the best thing I can take away from this film. Even Michael - Sam Fisher - Ironside makes little to no difference here.

By their respective number sevens, the Freddies, Jasons, Michaels and Pinheads had at least given us a couple of very enjoyable or even brilliant films each. But the corn just doesn't provide the same indulgence. If the curse is on anyone, it's on stubborn viewers like myself.

Children Of The Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995) 4/5
    Children Of The Corn IV: The Gathering (1996) 3/5
    Children Of The Corn (1984): 2.5/5
    Children Of The Corn V: Fields Of Terror (1998) 2/5
    Children Of The Corn: Revelation (2001) 2/5
    Children Of The Corn 666: Isaac's Return (1999) 1.5/5
    Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992) 1.5/5
    [/quote]

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Remember having the Peter Gunn theme on cassette, and of course the theme was used for the game Spy Hunter. :)

That's right, it did. SpyHunter (the 2001 remake), was the first time I heard the Peter Gunn theme.

B-)
    Remember having the Peter Gunn theme on cassette, and of course the theme was used for the game Spy Hunter. :)

That's right, it did. SpyHunter (the 2001 remake), was the first time I heard the Peter Gunn theme.

B-)

Remember playing the game on the Amiga, maybe even on a BBC computer before then. :)
    /\ I remember playing this on the old Spectrum! That is a scary thought!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I played the original arcade version back in the 1990's. On the Sega Master System II, I had a game called Action Fighter, which was very close to SpyHunter.

b70-8496

Action adventure based on the novel by Geoffrey Jenkins, staring Richard Johnson and Goldfinger's Honor Blackman. Johnson is a smuggler leading a small group on a mission to find a stash of diamonds in a galleon buried in sand. With the monetary value of the diamonds being split 5 ways, it isn't long before treachery rears it's head.

600full-the-ninth-configuration-poster.jpg

It's a psychological drama/comedy/psychological drama sandwich and quite possibly the most surreal film in Keach's career. The Ninth Configuration also offered a rare chance to see Keach sans moustache. 'Battle Force' being another.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    /\ I remember playing this on the old Spectrum! That is a scary thought!

Remember buying the Spectrum +3 the disk drive was a revelation at the time. No more putting the cassette in five times before the game loaded. I miss that static loading sound of cassettes

;)
    Star Trek III - A film so good you can dwell on matt shots for several minutes... Because this film is so good. Bluray brings it up several notches, on video and DVD the themes were there, now the visuals bring the film together.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Star Trek III - A film so good you can dwell on matt shots for several minutes... Because this film is so good. Bluray brings it up several notches, on video and DVD the themes were there, now the visuals bring the film together.

But... Kirk's Son gets killed... #-o
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »

Doesn't make it a bad movie though.

Also has my favorite Trek soundtrack.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Horner's best ever.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Horner's best ever.
    I dunno, I have a soft spot for his score of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. :D

Serenity the closing chapter on the doomed scifi series Firefly, the cast is brilliant, the dialogue is amazing, the effects are great
    especially the Serenity running from the Reavers headon in the Alliance fleet
    , and a great ending of a show that should have graced our TV screens much longer.

Everytime I see this movie I find the SW prequels of GL poorer and a waste of good cinema screens.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Serenity
    Great series, one of my favourite movies ever.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Serenity
    Great series, one of my favourite movies ever.

May I congratulate you on your excellent taste in this matter? :!!

Doesn't make it a bad movie though.

I have that on CD epic soundtrack! :-bd
    Night Of The Segulls
    Those undead Templars arise for one last bout of bloodshed in Armando de Osorio's fourth and final Blind Dead film. Not only would I call this a vast improvement of the previous film, but I would go further and call The Night Of The Seagulls the best of the four. I love the dream-like look of this one.

The Wishmaster
    My favourite horror movie of the 1990's. The kills are presented in an different way, in the form of twised wishes.

31 Days Of Horror:
    Day 1: The Resident (2011)
    Day 2: The Corpse Vanishes (1942)
    Day 3: Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    Day 4: The Woods (2006)
    Day 5: The Haunting (1963)
    Day 6: Theatre Of Blood (1973)
    Day 7: The Night Of The Seagulls (1975)
    Day 8: The Wishmaster (1997)
    Children of the Corn (2009)

Children_of_the_corn_2009_kids.jpg

Now this I hadn't expected! The 2009 adaptation of King's short novel, besides staying closer to the source material than the '84 film, entertained me a good deal. Yes, I'm surprised too. David Anders and Kandyse McClure convince us of their acidic relationship, Daniel Newman is an impressive Malachai and young Preston Bailey doesn't disappoint as Isaac. Some cool shots and fairly gory moments boost up the quality. I even think there's some genuine tension towards the third act.

Don't get me wrong; this isn't a perfect film. But considering the raw corn I've tried to digest over the past couple of weeks, COTC 2009 at last does some things right. I didn't check my watch this time and neither did I find myself wondering if the credited screenwriters are even real people. No, this time things made sense. This time, somewhat capable hands produced the film. So despite its flaws, COTC 2009 is a pretty decent film overall.

Children Of The Corn (2009): 4/5
    Children Of The Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995) 4/5
    Children Of The Corn IV: The Gathering (1996) 3/5
    Children Of The Corn (1984): 2.5/5
    Children Of The Corn V: Fields Of Terror (1998) 2/5
    Children Of The Corn: Revelation (2001) 2/5
    Children Of The Corn 666: Isaac's Return (1999) 1.5/5
    Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992) 1.5/5
    [/quote]
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, would you recommend 'A Twist Of Sand'? It sounds excellent.
    If you're in the mood for an action adventure film, and you can find a copy somewhere, yes I would.
  • The Ghost Writer
    edited October 2014 Posts: 40,473
    @MajorDSmythe, I just might be able to find a version online somewhere. That's probably my best bet for seeing it, unless I blind bought it.

@valentinzukovsky, did you like 'The Ghost Writer'? I quite enjoyed it when I first saw it, but didn't care for how the ending wrapped up. Quite a downer.
    The Hellfire Club(1961): expected a satanic and gothic horror film, got a funny little swashbuckler. Quite enjoyable British B-series.

Do you think Keith Michell would have worked as Bond? :)) Cubby offered the role to almost every random passerby back then.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @valentinzukovsky, did you like 'The Ghost Writer'? I quite enjoyed it when I first saw it, but didn't care for how the ending wrapped up. Quite a downer.
    I did like it.well written,well acted and at times very very funny.
    not so sure about the ending though, it reminded me of when XXXX gets shot at the end of layer cake .
    14%2B-%2B1

I am just going to come right out with it, this is my favourite ANOES film. The meta angle is unique, even if it pushes this film away from any continuity the series has. And I never thought Freddy looked all that creepy, until this one. I even own the Neca Toys New Nightmare Freddy, the only Freddy figure I have, surrounded by 5 Jason's.

44dc_1.JPG

It was about time I got around to some Fulci in this season, I was going to watch The Beyond, but had a last minute change of mind. Fulci, Christopher George and plenty of close-ups of Catriona MacColl (not to mention bucket loads of claret), what's not to love?

31 Days Of Horror:
    Day 1: The Resident (2011)
    Day 2: The Corpse Vanishes (1942)
    Day 3: Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    Day 4: The Woods (2006)
    Day 5: The Haunting (1963)
    Day 6: Theatre Of Blood (1973)
    Day 7: The Night Of The Seagulls (1975)
    Day 8: The Wishmaster (1997)
    Day 9: Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
    Day 10: City Of The Living Dead (1980)
    The Ghost Writer

How did you find it? Thought it was a very good film.

@fire_and_ice, he posted his thoughts at the top of this page. I quite liked it, as well.
    @MajorDSmythe, excellent choices, sir! :-)
    COTLD is perhaps my favourite Fulci apart from The New York Ripper.
    The Beyond is my favourite, followed by The Black Cat, then CITY, with Lizard In A Woman's Skin & Zombie Flesh Eaters rounding out the top 5.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @MajorDSmythe - that sounds really interesting. I do love zombie films.
    If you like your zombie films with extra gore, you won't be disappointed when it comes to Fulci's zombie films, @royale65.