SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Zekidk wrote: »
    As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set

Probably not gonna happen

"The small and picturesque mountain town of Obertilliach in Austria is set to become the location for three days of filming in January."
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140820-austria-locations

Three days.... sounds like a PTS to me.

The pre-title sequences generally take many weeks to prep and shoot. 3 days sounds more like dialogue/drama scene/s in that particular location - or just a small part of a larger dramatic or action sequence which requires other locations.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Someone snuck in some QoS hate further up.about the free fall in Quantum being more CGI and less real than MR. if I remember correctly that sequence used state of the art new equipment and technique. ...for me that sequence was wayore intense and realistic even given the CGI vs. a man plumpting into a circus net ...but to each his own.
  • RC7RC7
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Someone snuck in some QoS hate further up.about the free fall in Quantum being more CGI and less real than MR. if I remember correctly that sequence used state of the art new equipment and technique. ...for me that sequence was wayore intense and realistic even given the CGI vs. a man plumpting into a circus net ...but to each his own.

It was awful, utterly awful. The real aerial photography in MR is superb.
  • RC7 wrote: »

It was awful, utterly awful. The real aerial photography in MR is superb.

Absolutely! I will never forget,when I first saw it in the movie theatre. This truly was a guy,that NEVER EVER gave up. Say what you will about MR (and there is a lot negative to be said), but this must be one of the most uplifting and adrenalin pushing moments in movie history. It certainly was to me and they did it all for real!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,168
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set

Probably not gonna happen

"The small and picturesque mountain town of Obertilliach in Austria is set to become the location for three days of filming in January."
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140820-austria-locations

Three days.... sounds like a PTS to me.

The pre-title sequences generally take many weeks to prep and shoot. 3 days sounds more like dialogue/drama scene/s in that particular location - or just a small part of a larger dramatic or action sequence which requires other locations.

I'm guessing the latter. Didn't sources say that the small village they are to build there, is suppose to blow up or some sorts?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    So then Obertillach is most likely for shooting a short scene in a snowy village, while the slopes in Sölden could see more action over a longer period.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    BTW - 3 days in Feldkirch for QOS made for ..how many seconds in the film? Oh yes, Bond drove through on wet streets.

Well we already know it wont be that minimal. Craig will be in town, and it is Craig who is only there for 3 days. The crew will need to set up and could stick around for some stunt work and exposition shots after Craig leaves. It was even rumored they were building part of a fake village for the scene. We also know there will be skiing. So I think it's definitely more than a few seconds. I'd say 15 minutes, at the start of the film ;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,601
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    BTW - 3 days in Feldkirch for QOS made for ..how many seconds in the film? Oh yes, Bond drove through on wet streets.

Well we already know it wont be that minimal. Craig will be in town, and it is Craig who is only there for 3 days. The crew will need to set up and could stick around for some stunt work and exposition shots after Craig leaves. It was even rumored they were building part of a fake village for the scene. We also know there will be skiing. So I think it's definitely more than a few seconds. I'd say 15 minutes, at the start of the film ;)

But MI6 own report on the homepage states, DC AND the crew for 3 days. I suppose, reports at this point are not identical, so no way of really knowing.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Hoyte van Hoytema seems like a good choice in my opinion. I didn't recognize him by the name but I liked the cinematography in TTSP (actually it's one of the few good things in the movie, along with Alberto Iglesias' score).
  • Off topic but Hoyte van Hoytema sounds like a name that could belong in the Bond universe. I hope they come up with good names for the characters in Bond 24. Silva was ok, but things like Strawberry Fields are just corny...
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,601

DC is obviously in Shepperton Studios doing "action" .. seems training is on,,.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

But MI6 own report on the homepage states, DC AND the crew for 3 days. I suppose, reports at this point are not identical, so no way of really knowing.

Perhaps they're constructing the fake village elsewhere and only using the reported locale for establishing shots and to make the scene a little more grounded with some real shots. Seems likely to me.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    for me that sequence was wayore intense and realistic even given the CGI vs. a man plumpting into a circus net ...but to each his own.

Each to his own indeed....Jesus Christ.
  • zebrafish wrote: »
    So then Obertillach is most likely for shooting a short scene in a snowy village, while the slopes in Sölden could see more action over a longer period.

As I said so :-). I think that's what it will be.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,396
    for me that sequence was wayore intense and realistic even given the CGI vs. a man plumpting into a circus net ...but to each his own.

Isn't it just. You've got one stunt which took months of preparation combined with a couple of weeks of shooting involving almost 100 death defying parachute jumps. That's 3 stuntmen and a cameraman in all risking life and limb for a 2 minute scene.

And yet a sequence filmed against a bloody green screen using computer technology is supposedly "more intense and realistic".

Dear oh dear.

Isn't it just. You've got one stunt which took months of preparation combined with a couple of weeks of shooting involving almost 100 death defying parachute jumps. That's 3 stuntmen and a cameraman in all risking life and limb for a 2 minute scene.

And yet a sequence filmed against a bloody green screen using computer technology is supposedly "more intense and realistic".

Dear oh dear.

Yup wasn't ruined with a dorky cartoonish ending. Bond got hurt real sense if danger with hard landing and no damn circus. Oh yes and ya can't see the parachutes under the jackets.

I didn't sat the sequence wasn't good and exciting btw... just said the QoS sequence was not the scourge of the series of the series like the ice boarding sequence in DAD.
    The "ice boarding" sequence in DAD is the freefalling scene in QoS. Both were fake and absolutely no suspense

Dear oh dear.

Yup wasn't ruined with a dorky cartoonish ending. Bond got hurt real sense if danger with hard landing and no damn circus. Oh yes and ya can't see the parachutes under the jackets.

I didn't sat the sequence wasn't good and exciting btw... just said the QoS sequence was not the scourge of the series of the series like the ice boarding sequence in DAD.

And apart from being completely faked, the QoS scene looked awfully realistic when Bond pulls the ripcord on a parachute just fifty feet from the ground despite travelling at terminal velocity. And no, Bond did not get hurt one bit.

That wasn't cartoonish in the slightest either.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    50ft if that. I'm all for fantasy in Bond movies but that really took the whole bakery considering the more grounded approach being implemented for the Craig era. That landing in which our hero comes out of it unscathed is probably the most super heroic stunt feat he's ever done.
  • RC7RC7
    Oh yes and ya can't see the parachutes under the jackets.

I'm not sure they make you wear them in freefall simulators. With it being a couple of feet off the ground it feels a tad unnecessary.

RC7 wrote: »
    Oh yes and ya can't see the parachutes under the jackets.

I'm not sure they make you wear them in freefall simulators. With it being a couple of feet off the ground it feels a tad unnecessary.

Plus if anything goes wrong. it may cause you to scratch your knee.

Highly perilous.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2014 Posts: 16,330
    Relevant. :))
    daniel-craig_1014029c.jpg
    doubleoego wrote: »
    50ft if that. I'm all for fantasy in Bond movies but that really took the whole bakery considering the more grounded approach being implemented for the Craig era. That landing in which our hero comes out of it unscathed is probably the most super heroic stunt feat he's ever done.[/quote
    Well he is James Bond
    ;)
    Point taken but my point was that the ending of the MR fall ruined IMO any danger created within the sequence.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, it did and merrily set us up for the tone of the entire film.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 9,117

Its not far away from the parasurfing in DAD. Its not a case of the CGI being good or bad - its the fact it was used at all so the fact that the QOS scene is not as embarrassingly poor as the DAD one makes very little difference to me. Bond films do stunts for real period - that should be non-negotiable on EON's part when talking with a director but it seems they dont really care any more.

You seem to be clinging to the circus tent as the lynchpin of your argument but thats just a stupid end to the scene. It doesnt detract from the staggering stuntwork that has preceded it.

The tragedy is even if the legendary BJ Worth might be knocking on a bit these days there are still blokes out there who could have given us this:

Rather than this:
    Murdock wrote: »
    Relevant. :))
    daniel-craig_1014029c.jpg

No I greatly admire the stunt work but everyone of you are arguing the merits of the stuntwork and I'm arguing the merits of the scene.

Off topic anyway... hoping Bond 24 doesn't give us any material to argue about. :D
  • You're arguing the about the silliness of MR by using an example which is equally as ludicrous.

But at least with MR we can bask in the triumph of the truly great stunt work that has preceded Jaws' fall.

QoS does not have that luxury to fall back on.
    No I greatly admire the stunt work but everyone of you are arguing the merits of the stuntwork and I'm arguing the merits of the scene.

Difficult to argue the merits of an action scene without commenting on its execution. The parasurfing scene in DAD would be the greatest stunt in cinema history if it was done for real. But it wasnt. And history judges it as utter shit.

The MR scene is stunningly simple in its set up: Bond pushed out of a plane sans parachute but theres a guy below him who hasnt opened his yet - game on! And then they go and make you believe that he actually catches up with him and nicks his chute through some staggering stuntwork. OK due to some poor creative decisions with Jaws (not for the last time in MR - poor Richard Kiel deserved better) the end of the scene is stupid but its not enough to ruin what preceded it.

QOS is almost a rip off of the same stunt but faked with CGI from start to finish. Not even one shot of someone in actual freefall!!! This is Bond not Avatar so why are we relying on green screen and computers for the action? All your argument seems to have to hang onto is that the Jaws into the circus tent is stupid - no ones going to disagree with that and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth after the stunts before it. But the QOS scene leaves a sour taste in the mouth akin to drinking a bottle of bleach as it's CGI from start to finish and by the time they hit the ground I'm too busy coughing up my dissolving stomach lining to give a toss that they land a bit hard.
    The real reason this scene is so awful is that it pisses all over the legacy of Bob Simmons, George Leech, Martin Grace, Willy Bogner, Rick Sylvester, BJ Worth, Jake Lombard et al - which for a Bond film to do is utterly unacceptable.
    Off topic anyway... hoping Bond 24 doesn't give us any material to argue about. :D

I certainly hope it does give us something to argue about. If it doesnt that means it is the dullest, anodyne, most PC film ever. I'm tempted to quote Algernon's line from NSNA here about gratuitous sex and violence.
    Too each his own.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I can live with the Jaws into the circus tent, only because it was at least separate from the suspense that preceded. Mind you I don't like it either.
    What I do find greivous was the whistle effect during the car jump in TMWTGG. That interrupted the suspense, as did the Beach Boys interlude in AVTAK.
    To this day I can remember how angry I was during that Beach Boy interruption. I had really been enjoying the excitment of that pts up till that point. Grrrr! :)

My biggest concern with the QoS parachute fall, upon initial viewings, was this feeling of what the heck just happened? Left one confused.
    The DAD CGI was simply abominable. Like suddenly we were watching a live-action cartoon. Worst moment IMO, in all of Bond cinema history.
    Its quite funny listening to the dvd extras as the filmmakers expound on how they nailed it. :(