Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi, I just watched Leatherface: TCM III (1990), and I found it much better than the 2nd one. It seemed back to basic after the 2nd one. OK, it's less glim, gritty and dark than the 1st one, but it's still pretty good. Was surprised to see a young Viggo Mortensen in it. If I dare say, I'd rank Part 3 close to part 1.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, glad to read that, my good sir. ;-) TCM III gets most often crapped on by critics but I'm entertained for sure. When Ken Foree opens fire on the family, I make a fist and shout "YEAH!". :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi yeah! Epic scene :D

EDIT:

Just finished Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994). What can I say.. this movie is batsh*t crazy! The ending was extremely ridiculous, McConaghey plays insane even more insane than Hopper in Part 2. The rest of the cast acts awful but McConaghey was great in this, truely scary. This feels like a teenage version of TCM :P And what happened to Leatherface? Putting lipstick on himself? :-O
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Having a James Gandolfini weekend:

True Romance, Terminal Velocity and Get Shorty watched so far.

Two of those films are still very excellent but as for Terminal Velocity; Charlie Sheen may be "Winning!" but the audience is definitely losing!. An absolutely bloody awful film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Amazing Spider-man 2. I hate to say it but it wasn't very good. The wishy-washy back & forth on the promise thing, the loads of post-teen angst, the villain who didn't really make sense with powers that really didn't make sense... then that faithful comic book ending in a movie that otherwise wasn't very faithful at all... the first one was better.
    2/5

I miss Toby & Sam.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I miss Toby & Sam.
    Me too.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    A Field in England

An odd mind ****of a film. Perhaps pretentious but kind of intriguing at the same time, though I probably need to have taken more hallucinogenic drugs to further appreciate it. Certainly not as good as Kill List but worth a watch nonetheless.
    The Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014)

Guardians.png

Well, there it is. Marvel got away with it. :D This is a darn good film! I had prepared myself a little by doing some reading of the comic in previous months, and I had realised that this might just be a little more than a talking tree and a talking raccoon. I can actually see them merge this thing with Avengers in, what, Phase 3? Anyway, I'm still pleasantly surprised. And I can recommend Guardians Of The Galaxy! :-)
    After TCM 1-4 and Halloween 1-6, i switched to Friday the 13th (1980). Great movie, some pretty bad ass kills, althought I was unsure that Jason's mom (?) got away with so many easy kills but struggled with the last girl who was IMO the weakest of the kids. Also I didn't know Kevin Bacon was in this movie, so my appreciation was even higher! :D
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks to Tom Savini, Bacon gets a memorable death. :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks to Tom Savini, Bacon gets a memorable death. :D

Yes, very bloody death :D

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I love the series as a whole (Friday The 13th is my favourite horror series), but individualy, i'm not a fan of the first film, nor the second. Friday The 13th Pt III is where the series really begins for me. And A New Beginning was a constant facepalm. I like the other nine films, to different degrees.

Time for a Jason tribute:
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I agree about F13 1 & 2. They're not really the best. My personal favorite is Part VI: Jason Lives. Not only is it scary but it's just plain FUN. Jason makes the transition from giant brute to undead zombie and that's just awesome.

For one of the first times ever, I liked all the teens.

Part VII had the best looking Jason, and first appearance of Kane Hodder (who would play him many times and is generally everyone's favorite) but unfortunately the MPAA did some butchering of their own and it's the LEAST bloody film in the series!

I have to share one funny story about Part VII though: I was watching it on TV as a young kid and there's a scene where Jason rips out an electrical cable to kill all the lights, and a second later I actually lost electricity in the house!! Believe me- pants were shat.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @Master_Dahark - It's okay to fess up, you were an adult when that happened, right? It would be a brown trouser situation for any one. ;)

The New Blood definitely has my favourite looking Jason, and favourite final girl. The end is a bit of a cop-out, it's as if the writers didn't know how to end the film. Even in the world that the films are set in, I think that ending was a bit much.

If I were Pressed for a ranking right, it would look like this

1. Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1987)
    2. Friday The 13th (2009)
    3. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
    4. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
    5. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    7. Friday The 13th:The Final Chapter (1984)
    8. Frieddy vs Jason (2003)
    9. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1988)
    10. Friday The 13th Part II (1981)
    11. Friday The 13th (1980)
    12. Friday The 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Other than the bottom 3, the films move around. Next week the ranking might look different.
    I consider the first film a true classic. It builds suspense, allows you to get a sense of geography and to get to know the characters, and then throws you in a genuine whodunit. Granted, the whodunit is in essence a cheat, but it keeps the suspense level pretty high nonetheless. Like Halloween, Black Christmas and even Psycho, F13 takes its time to set things up and then kicks the blood pump from 0 to 12. Some of the kills are extremely effective, half of them working from the terror of dark, confined spaces, the other half from open spaces still somewhat narrowed down by water from the lake or heavy rainfall. Considering how little this film cost, F13 is an outstanding effort.

If one defines the F13 series by its best know asset, Jason, this film is of course a let-down. But then I don't think that would fair. It's like saying Star Wars is a bad film because it doesn't have Yoda or the Imperial March. The iconic Jason Vorhees with the hockey mask distracts people from the fact that zombie kid Jason was but an afterthought of the first film and a convenient excuse to get a sequel made, thriving on the thinnest continuity imaginable. But Jason soon became the brand of the series, comparable to how Batman hijacked Detective Comics after his introduction in #27.

I consider myself a fan of Jason's films, though I find Freddy Krueger and Michael Myers more interesting and more 'substantial'. Considering our killers' backstory, Jason's is pretty weak, suffering from an almost crippled continuity between parts 1, 2 and 3. His traits are fairly identical in all the films, except that his immortality evolves from symbolic to very pronounced. Freddy and Michael were given stronger backstories, though not free from their own share of flaws, but more important, their motivation overall seems more prevalent.

Though I watch the entire F13 series at least once every year, usually during the Summer, I do so out of respect for the first film and because I have a soft spot for parts IV and VI, and mostly because I simply love the clever Freddy versus Jason, which I consider a Nightmare On Elm Street film featuring Jason Vorhees. ;-)
    (deleted)
    Night Train to Lisbon
    Interesting movie in which a story/history is slowly reconstructed by the lead character played by a great Jeremy Irons. It has also a special cameo by the mighty Christopher Lee.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    if i had to rank the films, it would probably go as follows..

1. Part 6 : Jason Lives
    2. Part 4 : The Final Chapter
    3. Part 7 : The New Blood
    4. Part 2
    5. Part 3-D
    6. Part 8 : Jason Takes Manhattan
    7. Friday the 13th
    8. Freddy vs. Jason
    9. A New Beginning
    10. Friday the 13th (2009 reboot)
    11. Jason Goes To Hell
    12. Jason X

3rd place for The New Blood, that's not too bad. Sad to see Jason Goes To Hell so low. I can understand why some don't like it, but it's indifference is what I like best about the film. The unrated cut is brutal, especially the couple having sex in the tent.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    if i had to rank the films, it would probably go as follows..

1. Part 6 : Jason Lives
    2. Part 4 : The Final Chapter
    3. Part 7 : The New Blood
    4. Part 2
    5. Part 3-D
    6. Part 8 : Jason Takes Manhattan
    7. Friday the 13th
    8. Freddy vs. Jason
    9. A New Beginning
    10. Friday the 13th (2009 reboot)
    11. Jason Goes To Hell
    12. Jason X

3rd place for The New Blood, that's not too bad. Sad to see Jason Goes To Hell so low. I can understand why some don't like it, but it's indifference is what I like best about the film. The unrated cut is brutal, especially the couple having sex in the tent.

I really liked Jason Goes to Hell as well. I thought it was a decent way for the franchise to shake things up a bit after being around for nine films.
    I like JGTH for being different without walking too far away from Crystal Lake. ;-) I love that we get to see the Necronomicon and of course I'm particularly fond of the final minute of the movie. :D As @MajorDSmythe pointed out, the tent kill is awesome. :D
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I think the biggest issue with Jason Goes to Hell is that Jason (at least as we know him) is only at the very beginning and end!

Plus that little demon looking thing body-hopping around was ultra stupid.

I'll say this for the movie though: Jason was definitely at his ugliest! Too bad we didn't get to see him without his mask!

500full.jpg

dalton & Dimi - JGTH appreciation, gets a thumbs up from me. :-bd

Subtle reference to Jason's Manhattan holiday, Dimi? I'm thinking of going to Manhattan, sink a ship, terrorize some students & teachers and generally have a good time.
    (deleted)
    Robocop (2014)

robocop_2014_by_jithinjohny-d71d86m.png

I have some affection for the Robocop series but not all that much. I consider the third film and that awful Prime Directives miniseries a waste of time. The first and the second film were good and I've read some pretty decent Robocop comics. But when they announced the new movie, something clicked. Modern filmmaking technology applied to Robocop? I'm all for it! And of course it helps to have some pretty impressive names involved, like Oldman, Keaton, Jackson, Cornish, J.E. Haley, ...

Overall I like this film. It plays out the ambiguity of being a hero like Robocop very well, offers some nice action scenes and still pays respect to the original. Though Joel Kinnaman is no Peter Weller, the suit is cool enough to compensate for that. ;-) This is not a great film, just good entertainment.
    I'm all aboard the RoboCop train @DarthDimi. That movie gets a bad rep. I'd love to get a sequel to it. And hell, they could do what they're doing with the TCM series and make sequels to the original as well!
    I'll say this for the movie though: Jason was definitely at his ugliest! Too bad we didn't get to see him without his mask!

500full.jpg
    Well, at least behind the scenes we can get a taste of what's under there:

JGTH_KANE_Undermask_Exposed_water.jpg

*BTW, I can't believe on a JAMES BOND forum nobody's mentioned this yet:

jason-bond.gif

;
    I think that has been posted before, but in the horror thread. I don't remember it being posted elsewhere. Always makes me chuckle. Wait, where's the gunbarrel theme? :D
    You're Next (2013)
    YoureNext_12_zps4579eca1.jpg

Adam Wingard's You're Next is a 2013 slasher film and part of the popular home-invasion subgenre. Wingard's effort manages to rise above most other films in the genre, thanks in large part to his lead actress, Sharni Vinson.

The film tells the story of Crispian (A.J. Bowen) bringing his girlfriend Erin (Vinson) to meet his family at his parents' 35th anniversary celebration at their vacation home. His brothers, sister, and their spouses and girlfriends all convene at the vacation house for what is supposed to be a time of celebration.

This is, of course, all interrupted by the siege on their home by men wearing animal masks. The masks themselves lend a certain creepiness to the proceedings, as all good horror masks do. I didn't find them quite as unsettling as those found in The Strangers, which is You're Next's biggest recent competition in the home-invasion subgenre, but they're memorable in that they're rather different from the usual fare.

What really sticks out in this film is the performance of Sharni Vinson. While primarily being known it seems from Step Up 3D, she shines as the film's surprisingly kick-ass heroine, and stands alongside Ti West (who also stars here) alumns Jocelin Donahue and Sara Paxton as part of a recent resurgence in excellent leading ladies in the horror genre. It's refreshing to see characters like these that aren't exploited for their looks in such a film, but rather drive the action forward and carry the film solely on their talents.

As already stated, Sharni Vinson is fantastic. Her athleticism shows through in the role, which asks a lot from her physically, with her character being forced to confront the killer quite often. Without her, I'm not sure that the film works nearly as well, even though it still has other things going for it.

On the downside, it honestly felt like they revealed their twist far too early in the film. And what they present as a twist at the end of the film really is something that could be seen coming from some distance away, which causes the film to slightly limp across the finish line, especially after some memorable sequences, which include the initial assault on the family. The last shot of the film is pretty cool, although it unfortunately means that the writers had to sacrifice any sense of closure in order to achieve it. Even still, You're Next is a terrific entry in the horror genre, and Sharni Vinson, should she decide to continue in the genre, could be its next rising star.

4/5
    Sea Fury 2/6

Many 007 stars here : Paluzzi , Shaw , de Wolff , Murcell , Robinson......

Anyway , I found it meh......for a drama movie it contains very little suspense , then there's the usual "2 men fight over 1 woman" sub plot , yawn.