Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

RED DAWN (1984) Me and my girlfriend watched it on Netflix last night because it was supposed to be 'so good' and a 'classic'. Jesus, it was freaking boring and a chore to sit through!! I guess it was popular because it had every young hot guy and girl from that time in it, and maybe the plot was legitimately scary then, but now, not so much. Also that famous scene that I've seen hundreds of times before, where the one guy holds up the AK and shouts 'Wolverines!!!' was not at all like I imagined it. I always assumed it was from the end of the movie, like a big deal. But in the movie it was right in the middle, and actually a bit laughable. Pretty disappointing. Bottom line: it's easy to see why they remade it.
    I may give the remake a shot- I did hear good things about it. Isn't it supposed to be the North Koreans in that one instead of the Russians?

EXPENDABLES 3 I saw this with my old college friend this morning. It was better than part 2, but not as good as the first. Stallone on the other hand managed to look his best in this one, not like his age at all! Arnold shouted 'Get to the choppa!!' just like in Predator and the audience applauded. Mel Gibson was GREAT as the bad guy and even a little scary at times (particularly when he was captured and riding in the van with Stallone)
    Ford was great (Willis wasn't missed at all) and even got in on the action
    All in all, it was a good popcorn flick. I hear it's getting butchered at the box office but I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that it leaked online prior to release than anything else. It's a decent movie
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Am in the middle of a Nicolas Cage marathon, more specifically his movies I haven seen't yet or haven't seen in a while.

Time to list what I've seen so far.

Bangkok Dangerous (2008) I usually like professor-student movies, Cage does a good job but the movie feels cheap and the ending was not very good.

Season of the Witch (2011)
    Nothing to say, totally forgettable movie. Seemed like a very cheap version of Kingdom of Heaven in the first 10 minutes. Some cool actors are in this movie, like Ron Pearlman and Ulrich Thomson, but not enough to make the movie better.

Trespass (2011)
    Awful. Shame on Cage, Kidman and Joel Schumacher for making such a bad movie. The movie did not make any sense and the plot twists are ludicrous. Kidman spends her time crying and screaming.

Seeking Justice (2011)
    Little better, nice thriller for Roger Donaldson (a director I like) to spend 90 minutes watching. Cage is on his better days here. Special mention to Guy Pearce, who is always fun to watch.

Drive Angry (2011)
    Fun movie. Kind of a slasher-movie but less crazy and a bit more serious. Can't go wrong with the beautiful Amber Heard :x Cage is fun to watch here, and Fichtner is uber cool in this.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)
    Absolutly rubbish and nonsensical, but a big improvement over the first Ghost Rider, which got me bored senseless while watching. But still doesn't make it a good movie.

Stolen (2012)
    Awful and poor Cage version of Taken. Nothing happens, Cage barely fights anyone. Josh Lucas acts terribly bad in this.
  • Expendables 3

I liked it. Not as good as I was expecting but it was decent enough. Mel Gibson was the highlight of the film and Bandereas was a great addition too, and Harrison Ford (although I was surprised at just how old he looked). The action was pretty good and there were some good lines and references to old flicks as always but idk, I didn't have as much fun as I expected. None of the younger cast really impressed me (apart from the girl, the UFC fighter, she was pretty good) and the film would have been better off without them as it's Stallone and co that people want to see, not some nobodys. Although if you removed them you'd have to change the plot. I think it's probably the weakest of the three but I enjoyed it.

Apparrently though it's not making much money thanks to people watching it on the internet X( So I guess they probably won't make anymore of these :( Guarians Of The Galaxy meanwhile is apparently making loads of money and that makes me a bit sad. Not because GoG is a bad film (I haven't seen it so I can't judge), but because of what this symbolises: old school action heroes are dying out. People don't want to see Rambo fighting Mad Max, people want to see superhero films instead. And as someone who grew up with Arnie, Sly, Gibson, Ford, etc, I'm very sad about this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    grizzly_poster_01.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

The late great Christopher George stars in this 1976 'animal attack' horror/thriller. It's basicaly, Jaws set in a nature reserve, with a 15ft, 3000lbs Grizzy in place of the shark, and George as the park ranger battling both the grizzy and the park administration, they want to keep the reserve open (it's holliday season).
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Rescue Dawn

Intense drama directed by Werner Herzog about the ordeal of Dieter Dengler during the Vietnam War. Bale is excellent and the cinematography is impressive. Perhaps an interesting companion piece alongside Empire of the Sun.

7/10
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Expendables 3
    None of the younger cast really impressed me (apart from the girl, the UFC fighter, she was pretty good) and the film would have been better off without them as it's Stallone and co that people want to see, not some nobodys. Although if you removed them you'd have to change the plot. I think it's probably the weakest of the three but I enjoyed it.
    I agree 100%!!! The girl was the only one I liked. The other young guys had no place in the movie- all they did was pout and look like models. And that one guy was in the freaking elevator shaft the whole time it seemed!!
    On the same note, I was scratching my head at the whole prospect of getting the new team in the first place. They just suffered a rough defeat and Stallone goes on and on about how 'if you guys keep doing this it'll get you killed', so he solves it by turning his back on them and a handful of hiring kids?!? It sort of made him look like an ass.
    They could have skipped that whole 'young Expendables' plot altogether with a simple exchange:

Stallone: "Hey that was Mel Gibson, he's bad".
    Statham, Schwarzenegger, Lundgren, etc. : "Well then lets go kill him"!

Bam. Done. That would trim half an hour off of the movie. (at 127 minutes it was pretty long)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, do you recommend I watch Grizzly? :-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Miracle at St-Anna (2008) 2nd movie I see of Spike Lee, the first being Inside Man. What a letdown! 2.5 hours of lenght and nothing happens! A battle scene at the start and one in the end, and for 2 hours it's just the characters sitting around and talking. I will never complain about Dench's M anymore after sitting through this 120 minutes of psycho babble rubbish. Shame with all the good actors that appear in the movie.

Antichrist (2009) Visceral and visually stunning movie! Great performance by Defoe and Gainsbourg, but man, that ending.. gripping!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, do you recommend I watch Grizzly? :-)

If you're in the mood for a Jaws style film, it's worth a watch. Worth a watch to see Christopher George kill an angry bear with a ... ah, that would be telling. ;)

If we start a non-Bond capcon, here's my suggestion to start off with:
    grizzly.jpg
    Dagon (2001)

tumblr_mzzwavDNb21tr79nmo1_500.jpg

Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna have in recent times gained a lot of respect from me. With the Re-Animator trilogy and such films as Castle Freak, From Beyond and Necronomicon, they have with modest success brought some of H.P. Lovecraft's stories to the big screen. Dagon, directed by Gordon and produced by Yuzna, is one of my favourites of their Lovecraftian adaptations.

Though the sea-god Dagon is featured in an earlier Lovecraftian story of the same name, the film is actually an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, one of Lovecraft's later and by all means most popular stories ever.

A small sailing party hits a rock near a Spanish coast town and seeks help. But the locals are a weird folk, some of them having tentacles, gills and webbed hands. The quest for help soon turns into pure survival horror, as the Order of Dagon isn't particularly cooperative but rather wants the unfortunate ship-wrecked outsiders never to leave town again.

Despite the crude filmmaking and low budget, Dagon is an eerie, fatalistic horror film that never fails to leave me in suspense. If I have anything bad to say about this movie, it is that I find the late Francisco Rabal's thickly accented lines barely comprehensible. Macarena Gómez has the same issues but her enigmatic appearance compensates for a lot.

I'm a disciple of Lovecraft, much like Yuzna and Gordon. I love his great Cthulhu cycle and his descriptions of the horrific cosmic deities that are featured in many of his stories. While bigger budgets, better effects and more capable hands could probably have produced a more spectacular film adaptation of Innsmouth, Dagon nonetheless gives me what I want. Not everyone will appreciate this little effort like I do, but I can practically smell the stench of dead fish when watching Dagon.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Winter's Bone (2010), starring Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes - both were Oscar nominees for their portrayals, the movie was also nominated for screenplay and - somewhat amazingly considering what it's like - best film. The movie got awards at film festivals such as Sundance and Berlin.
    It was obvious from the start that this would be a bleak story, and I suspected it would be depressing and I wouldn't enjoy it, but to my surprise I did. An interesting film, and Lawrence and Hawkes were very good indeed, and in fact all characters felt like real people. Actual people living in the area were also given roles in it which worked really well.

Amistad (1997), directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Nigel Hawthorne, Stellan Skarsgård, Pete Postlethwaite, Chiwetel Ejiofor.
    I saw this when it was new, but didn't remember a lot - but I remembered I liked it then. I re-watched it as part of the McConaughey project (I was inspired by Dallas Buyers Club to watch everything he has done... and Jared Leto even more so) and apparently I still like it.
    The story is based on true events, and it's important, fascinating and well told here. Even though this is a very different story than 12 Years A Slave, they are both based on real stories, and about slavery and humanity and struggle to be free... oh and Chiwetel is in both, too (smaller and very different role here), so I couldn't help but make comparisons. I'm one of those people who was not that impressed with 12 Years A Slave (nope, everyone didn't think it was a masterpiece), and I think this is much better, and to me feels more genuine, more realistic, and is more touching. The difference in how they ended is very telling: here I actually felt it (I was literally thinking "oh gaaaaawd..."), in 12 Years A Slave I felt like the ending was audience manipulation, a Hollywood happy ending with overwhelming emotion and tears on cue (I was thinking that when watching - never a good thing). Here the main character felt real, in 12 Years A Slave he felt like an idealized, movie hero version of a person. The only thing that irritated me in this one was, at times, pointless (IMO) use of bland music (by John Williams) under monologue or dialogue. Otherwise it was very good. Not perfect, but good.
    The cast is very good, and Spielberg is good at telling a story, and this one sure needed telling.
    The Artist (2011)

It's was claimed to be an experimental film when they made it. (black and white with no sound)??????
    I found this movie boring and i think it is one of the most overrated films ever.

Anyone else who has seen this and what do you think about it..........
    I saw The Artist in theatre when it came out and enjoyed it a lot. :)

Btw, it wasn't black and white and silent for cheap tricks, that was a huge part of the story it was telling and therefore it was relevant. (Well, the silent aspect was essential, and I suppose black and white kinda came naturally with it.)
    @Birdleson - Yes, I agree there was some over-sentimentalism in Amistad - the use of music at times was irritating especially because of that, and some speeches were a bit over the top or longish, and stuff like that - which is one reason I certainly wouldn't consider it a masterpiece or anything, but I still thought it was good, with an interesting story and mostly good cast, and I liked the ultimately not happy ending. I also thought it was superior to this year's Best picture winner, which I was fully prepared to appreciate, but didn't. Just out of curiosity, did you?
    Tuulia wrote: »

Btw, it wasn't black and white and silent for cheap tricks, that was a huge part of the story it was telling and therefore it was relevant. (Well, the silent aspect was essential, and I suppose black and white kinda came naturally with it.)

I didn't like the story. I found it boring.
    The best thing about it was the dog ;;) and Bérénice Bejo as Peppy Miller.
    001 wrote: »

I didn't like the story. I found it boring.
    The best thing about it was the dog ;;) and Bérénice Bejo as Peppy Miller.

Yes, Uggie was lovely - my fave actor in it for sure. :)

Birdleson wrote: »
    @Birdleson - Yes, I agree there was some over-sentimentalism in Amistad - the use of music at times was irritating especially because of that, and some speeches were a bit over the top or longish, and stuff like that - which is one reason I certainly wouldn't consider it a masterpiece or anything, but I still thought it was good, with an interesting story and mostly good cast, and I liked the ultimately not happy ending. I also thought it was superior to this year's Best picture winner, which I was fully prepared to appreciate, but didn't. Just out of curiosity, did you?

I don't put much credence in The Academy Awards, to begin with. It's often political (meaning the politics of power and favor in Hollywood). But I enjoyed 12 YEARS A SLAVE, the again I didn't expect much. I found it less contrived than AMISTAD, but it certainly felt self-serving. No where endear the best picture of the year. I would name the French film, THE GREAT BEAUTY, as that.

Yes, I realize there's more than movie making excellence to it all, plus there are such obvious things like taste, which differ. All people will never agree on art, and that's how it should be. Most "best pictures" I haven't cared for myself, many I have never even bothered to see. I saw most of this year's nominees, because they sounded like I might like them, and I had time and opportunity for a change. I missed a couple (Nebraska never even came here - I would have been interested in seeing it.) I certainly don't expect to like movies based on awards they've been nominated for (or have won), it's just one aspect of interest. For some weird reason I'm curious to see what/who wins what, silly as it may seem. In some rare instances I actually even care. In the best picture category this year it was pretty obvious beforehand that it was gonna be either 12 Years A Slave or Gravity, and I didn't care much about either.

I haven't seen The Great Beauty (I don't think that came here, either), so I can't comment on that.

Amistad only irritated me mildly at times, and 12 Years A Slave irritated me a lot a lot of the time, so that's my summary of that comparison... ;)
  • Tuulia wrote: »
    Winter's Bone (2010), starring Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes - both were Oscar nominees for their portrayals, the movie was also nominated for screenplay and - somewhat amazingly considering what it's like - best film. The movie got awards at film festivals such as Sundance and Berlin.
    It was obvious from the start that this would be a bleak story, and I suspected it would be depressing and I wouldn't enjoy it, but to my surprise I did. An interesting film, and Lawrence and Hawkes were very good indeed, and in fact all characters felt like real people. Actual people living in the area were also given roles in it which worked really well.

Lawrence deserved the Oscar for that role in my opinion, not that mediocre Silver Linings Playbook.

Anyway Trading Places (1983) was on the tv a couple of days ago. It still makes me laugh but I have probably seen that movie one too many times. Features Dan Akroyd, Eddie Murphy, Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche, Jamie Lee Curtis and the ever underappreciated Denholm Elliott in great form.
    Past 2 days been watching some longer movies.

The Godfather Part 3 (1990) Huge letdown after the masterpieces that were part 1 and 2. However, the 3rd movie does get better as it progresses, but remains very far from the greatness of the previous outings. The ending was very good, though.

Malcolm X (1992) Now that's the Spike Lee I loved for Inside Man! Great film, Denzel is simply fantastic. A bit slow at the start but the last 2 hours are epic.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Watched this on bluray. Wow does it look good! Hard to believe this movie is 52 years old. The cinematography, locations, music and acting are simply breathtaking. Loved every second of it.

Once Upon A Time In America (1984) Out of the 4 Leone movies I've seem (Fistful of Dollars, Good/Bad/Ugly and Once Upon a time in the West and now this one), it's the one I liked the least. But it's still a very good movie. Moriccone's music is the highlight of the movie. Some pacing problems at the start but once the story gets going, it flows very well.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,271
    Past 2 days been watching some longer movies.

The Godfather Part 3 (1990) Huge letdown after the masterpieces that were part 1 and 2. However, the 3rd movie does get better as it progresses, but remains very far from the greatness of the previous outings. The ending was very good, though.

Malcolm X (1992) Now that's the Spike Lee I loved for Inside Man! Great film, Denzel is simply fantastic. A bit slow at the start but the last 2 hours are epic.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Watched this on bluray. Wow does it look good! Hard to believe this movie is 52 years old. The cinematography, locations, music and acting are simply breathtaking. Loved every second of it.

Once Upon A Time In America (1984) Out of the 4 Leone movies I've seem (Fistful of Dollars, Good/Bad/Ugly and Once Upon a time in the West and now this one), it's the one I liked the least. But it's still a very good movie. Moriccone's music is the highlight of the movie. Some pacing problems at the start but once the story gets going, it flows very well.

Exactly how I felt about Godfather Part 3. Probably shouldn't have been made, but the ending was definitely acceptable in the eyes of the first two. Still, Part 1 and 2 are two of the greatest films of all time, while 3 is more just an average film overall (until the last 45 minutes or so, which is very good).
    Troll (1986)

1110744_1346426634916_full.jpg

Worse films exist, but Troll is by no means very good. Gremlins did it well, Critters did it worse, Ghoulies hit the lowest bar. I guess Troll fits in between Critters and Ghoulies. What keeps this film mildly amusing is a good sense of comedy (mostly played out in the first act) and some familiar faces (Michael Moriarty, Sonny Bono, Shelley Hack and Phil Fondacaro to name but a few). Troll has heart, but it lacks a good story. The final act is a serious disappointment.
    Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Excellent film worth watching for sure.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,631
    LIZZIE BORDEN TOOK AN AX (2014)

Lizzie Borden Took an Ax is a 2014 film starring Christina Ricci in the title role of Lizzie Borden, who was tried and eventually acquitted of the 1892 murder of her father and stepmother.

On the whole, this isn't anything to write home about. While viewing the film, I had the sneaking suspicion that it might be one of those Lifetime network films, which I confirmed to be the case after I finished watching the film.

As already stated, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax isn't a particularly great film. Even so, it's worth watching, if for no other reason than the performance of Christina Ricci. Ricci is excellent as the manipulative title character, delivering enough charisma to the part to make the viewer actually buy into some of the lies told by her character (or are they even lies at all?) over the course of the film.

Also on hand is Clea Duvall as Lizzie's sister Emma. She holds her own just fine opposite Ricci, even if never rising to Ricci's level. She does have a very powerful and well acted scene towards the end of the film which really does leave an impression on viewers heading into the credits.

Billy Campbell stars as the Borden family attorney. With the very little he's given to do, he's quite good, as he always is. It's just a shame that the story didn't call for him to do more.

I thought going in, thanks to both the inclusion of Christina Ricci and the promotional material for the film, that this might turn out to be some kind of horror/thriller/mystery, or something like that. It's really not that at all, and if forced to choose a genre for it, I'd probably have to put it under courtroom drama. For what it is, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax isn't a bad film, although there's certainly a good deal of wasted potential here, especially given the excellent turn by Christina Ricci.

dalton wrote: »
    LIZZIE BORDEN TOOK AN AX (2014)

Lizzie Borden Took an Ax is a 2014 film starring Christina Ricci in the title role of Lizzie Borden, who was tried and eventually acquitted of the 1982 murder of her father and stepmother.

On the whole, this isn't anything to write home about. While viewing the film, I had the sneaking suspicion that it might be one of those Lifetime network films, which I confirmed to be the case after I finished watching the film.

As already stated, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax isn't a particularly great film. Even so, it's worth watching, if for no other reason than the performance of Christina Ricci. Ricci is excellent as the manipulative title character, delivering enough charisma to the part to make the viewer actually buy into some of the lies told by her character (or are they even lies at all?) over the course of the film.

Also on hand is Clea Duvall as Lizzie's sister Emma. She holds her own just fine opposite Ricci, even if never rising to Ricci's level. She does have a very powerful and well acted scene towards the end of the film which really does leave an impression on viewers heading into the credits.

Billy Campbell stars as the Borden family attorney. With the very little he's given to do, he's quite good, as he always is. It's just a shame that the story didn't call for him to do more.

I thought going in, thanks to both the inclusion of Christina Ricci and the promotional material for the film, that this might turn out to be some kind of horror/thriller/mystery, or something like that. It's really not that at all, and if forced to choose a genre for it, I'd probably have to put it under courtroom drama. For what it is, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax isn't a bad film, although there's certainly a good deal of wasted potential here, especially given the excellent turn by Christina Ricci.

As a fan of Ricci, that's on my 'to watch' list.

The Soft Kill

Typical 90's low grade thiller. Watch simply for Carrie-Anne Moss. Or rather, fast-foward through the scenes she isn't in.
  • Thought I'd post this here

After being inspired by @DarthDimi's different retrospectives and @MajorDSmythe's different rankings for actors and actresses, I've decided that I'm going to watch every Sylvester Stallone film ever made.

Well, I say that, I'm not watching all of them. If he only has a cameo, or a background part or a tiny part from in a film before his career took off, I'm not gonna watch that film. I'm also not going to watch films where he's just directing or writing and not acting, this marathon is for Stallone the actor, not the writer or director. And I'm not watching the porn flick he did before he was famous either :P Also I think I might miss some films out because I just don't want to watch them (EG- I found out on IMBD that he was in Spy Kids 3 and I don't want to watch that).

When I told my wife about this she said "I'll watch Rocky with you but I'm never watching f***ing Cobra again" :)) The first film I'm watching is a film I've already seen, Death Race 2000. I'll watch it at some point this week.
  • Rat Race . laughed all the way through .
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman I & II (Donner Cuts)
    Wow. They just don't make 'em like that any more. :-O
    @thelivingroyale, looking forward to that, sir! :-)

@chrisisall, you are so right! I can't believe people pick the theatrical Supes 2 over the Donner cut. The latter is a vastly superior film IMO.
    @chrisisall, you are so right! I can't believe people pick the theatrical Supes 2 over the Donner cut. The latter is a vastly superior film IMO.
    I just wish they'd left in the Arctic Police scene...
    :-??
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I just wish they'd left in the Arctic Police scene...
    :-??

Ew- that scene made no sense!! Why would 'the police' know about the Fortress of Solitude? That would be like Batman calling the police to come pick up the villains of the evening at his Batcave!!

And since we're talking about the Donner Cut- here's a free gift:

Superman_II_br_cover_v1_zps0d72b5c0.jpg

Way better than the boring cover art it came with I think!
    (if you want a printable quality PM me)
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Ew- that scene made no sense!! Why would 'the police' know about the Fortress of Solitude?
    Once Luthor knew about it, I guess Supes figured it was time to find a new spot since he trashed it anyway at the end. I conjure he called them to take the bad guys away and gave the location. Easier than flying with them tied in a bundle & Lois on his back, eh?