Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One Dark Night (1983)

1267069__one_dark_night_1983_dvdrip_kookoo_.0_51_41.003.jpg

Tom McLoughlin (Jason Lives) directed this amusing little horror flick with Meg Tilly in the lead part. It's not a great film but it has its merits. Some shots, especially during the climax, are pretty impressive considering that this is a very low budget film made by people with fairly little experience. I found the climax good enough to sit through the first hour so there you are. ;-) Sometimes a cheap horror film with a nice atmosphere is all one needs.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Finished 'The Return Of The King' extended edition. Constant delays made an 11 hour journey take less than two days. I don't even know where to begin with this film. There's just so much to tackle, talk about, etc. My thoughts are so scattered, but I do know that I am very confident in saying that this is probably the greatest trilogy I've ever seen. I always thought that was 'The Matrix' for me, but 'Revolutions' managers to falter and fail at numerous points, while LOTR starts out strong and somehow gets better and better. It's near perfection throughout. I'm ready to tackle the books one day soon to heighten my love for the series.

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed the films so much because I do love them. I really appreciate the consistent (and rare) high quality of all three. I think I enjoy the final one the most. Great acting throughout, so well filmed.

The books are great, interesting, and go off in other ways, and for me a bit more boring than the films - but that is natural, I think. Do read them when you have time. I do like to watch these films still; I think I always will.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    As for Taxi Driver and Raging Bull ... it has been a very long time since I saw them.
    But they had a great impact. Mesmerizing acting. Well filmed. Two great movies, for sure.
    7712_front.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, that's what I love about them: the consistency. It's perfection to me from start to finish, and somehow manages to get better and better, where most trilogies seem to falter with the third film.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    The Roaring Twenties (1939), directed by Raoul Walsh, starring James Cagney, Priscilla Lane, Humphrey Bogart, Gladys George, Frank McHugh. A good, good movie. I was also quite pleased to notice that I was familiar with the music used in it. :D As with Angels With Dirty Faces, I really, really liked Cagney in this, too. I definitely need to see more of his work. Here he plays a guy who gets dragged down by changes in the world around him, not really a bad guy - certainly not a saint, either, but you can't help but feel sorry for him, while Bogart (in a smaller role, not yet a star) is bad from beginning to end (I obviously mean character-wise, not his acting ;) ). Kinda pity they only made 3 movies together (this being the last of them).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Mummy Returns (2001)
    One of my all time favourites!

Glad to know, @chrisisall :-). What do you like about the film?
    List-time!

The music
    The chemistry between Rachel & Brandon
    Rachel
    The breakneck pace
    The FX (aside from CGI Rock)
    Catfight
    The kid (good actor)
    The overall sense of FUN!!!!

I could go on....
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Finished 'The Return Of The King' extended edition. Constant delays made an 11 hour journey take less than two days. I don't even know where to begin with this film. There's just so much to tackle, talk about, etc. My thoughts are so scattered, but I do know that I am very confident in saying that this is probably the greatest trilogy I've ever seen. I always thought that was 'The Matrix' for me, but 'Revolutions' managers to falter and fail at numerous points, while LOTR starts out strong and somehow gets better and better. It's near perfection throughout. I'm ready to tackle the books one day soon to heighten my love for the series.

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed the films so much because I do love them. I really appreciate the consistent (and rare) high quality of all three. I think I enjoy the final one the most. Great acting throughout, so well filmed.

The books are great, interesting, and go off in other ways, and for me a bit more boring than the films - but that is natural, I think. Do read them when you have time. I do like to watch these films still; I think I always will.

How is it "natural" for books to be "more boring" than films? It's been a couple of decades since I read them (have been meaning to re-read, but there is so much to read...), but I remember loving them, and I didn't find them even remotely boring. When I've both seen and read a story, I think the only time I remember thinking that the movie was infinitely better than the book was The Godfather.

The Mummy Returns (2001)
    One of my all time favourites!

Glad to know, @chrisisall :-). What do you like about the film?
    List-time!

The music
    The chemistry between Rachel & Brandon
    Rachel
    The breakneck pace
    The FX (aside from CGI Rock)
    Catfight
    The kid (good actor)
    The overall sense of FUN!!!!

I could go on....

Okay! We think alike it seems. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    vamps-poster.jpg

It was cheesy and campy, but liked this film, maybe a bit more than I should have. Krysten Ritter makes a charming vampire, I was smitten from the moment she climbed out of her coffin. :\"> The many Dracula references were a treat as well.
    When A Stranger Calls (1979)

when20a20stranger20calls.jpg

The film opens with what at this point can only be perceived as a classic but alas no longer surprising act. We have, after all, seen Black Christmas, Scream and even the remake of When A Stranger Calls. But back in the day, the first 20 minutes of this film really creeped people out. Trying to watch those scenes without all the meta knowledge allowed for a bit of fun. After that, something happens that I hadn't anticipated. It's almost as if we move away from the charming land of cosy slashers and into a different type of urban thrillers. We follow an ex-cop turned P.I. in his hunt for an insane killer, which takes him from sleazy bars to ugly apartments and sleep rooms for the homeless. At this point I don't know how this thing will end so I'm actually much more invested in the story than I'd originally thought I would be. The climax was a de facto surprise after the somewhat strange middle act of the film.

Overall I must admit I like When A Stranger Calls, but then I'm a sucker for 70s horror / thriller movies. Though it made money in '79, it was poorly received by critics. Fortunately I can add a little 'nostalgia' to the mix now, 35 years later, which aids in my amusement. I think I will watch this film again; it's more than a horror student's homework for me, I really like When A Stranger Calls.
    they showed Good Will Hunting tonight on the telly for reasons fairly obvious. And I still find it a very powerful movie and Robin Williams is powerful. His oscar already well deserved and overdue.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Crumb' (1995) Criterion Collection

Watched it again in its entirety on blu-ray and what a mesmerizing documentary that completely absorbs me and keeps me intrigued throughout the entire two hour running time. The life of Robert Crumb is beyond interesting, getting a look into his childhood, his relationship with his siblings and parents, and what exactly drives his unique, sexual drawings, comic books, and artwork. Very talented individual with a sad past that managed to deliver some incredibly unique art to the world. Wonderful documentary.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,691
    Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

Pretty good movie. Of the 'Living Dead' movies from/based on Romero's work I had only seen the Snyder remake of Dawn of the Dead, so it was interesting to see the original series by Romero. It seems very, very low budget but it's quite fun. I like the whole atmosphere of the group of people trapped in a farm. I've seen the trailer for the 2nd one (Dawn of the Dead (1978)) and it seems even more exciting!
    @DaltonCraig007, did you watch the original version or the 30th anniversary version? You can tell the difference as follows: the original opens with Johnny and Barbara at the cemetery. The 30th anniv. one starts with a burial ceremony lead by a priest who we see again at the end of this version.

NOTLD is one of favourites. Not only is it a pretty good horror film, it's also exceptionally progressive. A black man in the lead, the family unit destroyed on all levels, bitter nihilism, ... Countless essays have been written about this film and that shouldn't surprise us.

Dawn Of The Dead is the high mark of the series for me. It's pretty long given its genre but boy is it worth every second of our time. Tom Savini makes this one a very visceral experience. And Ken Foree is such a cool cat. 70s horror at its best: dirty, rough, cynical, all shades of grey. I'm curious to see what you'll think of it, @DaltonCraig007! :-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi my version started with Johnny and Barbara at the cemetery, so it must have been the original version :) And I'll be sure to tell you what I think of Dawn of the Dead :)
    IMO , Delta Force (Golan , who died recently , was the director) is better than Commando : better script , better music imo.
    Robocop (1987)

What a film! First time I watch Robocop so can't comment on the other outings, but I loved this one. Proper old-school fun! Thrilling action scenes, interesting characters and great acting from everyone!
    Odd Thomas (2013)

odd_thomas__span.jpg

I really wanted to shower this film with love, seeing how much I can appreciate Anton Yelchin, Willem Dafoe and the lovely Addison Timlin, but I'm afraid this is a slightly disappointing adventure by Stephen Sommers. The premise of Odd Thomas is good enough for sure, but the film never really kicks into gears. The climax is too little too late. Most of the stuff we see works but it's also stuff we have seen often before. I guess I was amused, but never invested.
    Robocop 2 (1990)

Quite a let down after the 1st one. Some very bad pacing problems, I thought the movie was about 20 minutes too long. And the plot seemed more simplistic compared to the 1st one. Some parts I just wanted to press on fast-foward, like when Robocop acts all gentle with people (like with the kids stealing in the shop).
    @DaltonCraig007

Now I'm curious to see how you will feel about Robocop 3. :D
    @DaltonCraig007

I'm slightly worried it will be really bad (judging from the imdb rating of it) :D But as long as it's hilariously bad and not cringe-worthy bad, I'll watch it :D
  • The Inbetweeners 2- Better than the first film and on par with the best episodes of the show. One of the funniest films I've seen in ages, 10/10. Full of cringey, laugh out loud moments but the funniest bit has to be the bit on the water slide. I was worried they were milking it a bit now but this one turned out so well that I'd actually really like a third film.

The Rock- I like to imagine that John Mason was actually a cover name given to him by MI6 for his mission to America, and that Sean Connery in the film is actually an older James Bond. Anyway, great film. I think it gets a bit melodramatic some times (thanks to the score and the use of slow motion) but it's still got great action, some amazing lines and great performances from Connery, Nic Cage and Ed Harris. Really fun film.
    An Affair To Remember (1957), directed by Leo McCarey, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. Considered a classic romantic film. It was... pretty good, for most part... partly enjoyable, partly not so much. Partly comedy, partly serious and emotional. I admit fast-forwarding the 2 instances of the kiddies singing for what to me felt like too darned long. While some of the things the characters did were kinda gaaah, the fact remains that real people actually do such gaaah things, too, so it was believable. Apparently this was done with the same script as McCarey's 1939 film Love Affair, so I'm kinda curious to see that, too, just to see how similar they are - the same director and the same script - surely not very common with remakes? - almost 2 decades apart...

I had already started watching the film when I realized that Jared Leto would interrupt it about half-way through for a considerable amount of time (an hour and a half, as it turned out), but I didn't particularly mind, he's welcome to do that any time, anyway. :D The New York Times had him on a Times Talks which was streamed live, so... He's one of those people I could listen to all day... or night, which is what it is here now. He's very smart, eloquent, and funny. He talked about movies, music, creativity, technology, business. Praised, among others, David Fincher, and mentioned how much he's learned from him. (That love is mutual, and since I think they're both wonderful I hope Fincher finds him more roles in his movies and manages to convince him to do them. :) ) Also did an impression of Robet De Niro. :)) About 90 mins just flew by. When the interviewer started to wrap up, and said they had time for only 2 more audience questions, Jared said he was glad to hear it since he needed to pee like a race horse. :))

I didn't, but took the opportunity for a toilet break after that chat anyway, and then got myself a big bowl of ice-cream, before continuing with the rest of the film, which had waited for me patiently just where I left it. I didn't feel my movie experience suffered at all by the entertaining Leto interruption - it wasn't that kind of a movie... no suspense, and one knew how it would end. Not that it was bad, it wasn't, but...

The Song is great, though, fantastic melody. (I immediately thought of Jane Morgan singing it - sorry Mr Vic Damone, so far I'm only familiar with your name.)
    @DaltonCraig007
    Well, I loved it. It wasn't the greatness of the first, nor the spectacle of the second, but a good blend IMO.
    Robocop 3 (1993)

Well..... The movie is utter nonsense, makes DAD seem like the most serious Bond movie. But, it was much more entertaining than the 2nd one. The shorter run-time like the 1st Robocop helps the movie. I really liked the gunfight at the end on the streets. All in all I would rank them 1 > 3 > 2

Oh, I almost forgot... Ninja robots? What the fudge??? :))
    Robocop 3 (1993)

Ninja robots? What the fudge??? :))
    Budget got cut before the fight scenes could be filmed so they had to cut together the cover shots they took with the actors & do the best they could.

The Sum Of All Fears (2002)

For the 3rd time, the new outing in the Jack Ryan series is less good than the previous one. And this time the gap is quite big. Ben Affleck is no match to how good Harrison Ford was in the role. I really like in Ford's two Ryan movie the scenes where Ryan does his own investigation, something that there wasn't enough of in the Affleck outing. Also, for a movie that was made 8 years after the previous outing, the movie doesn't seem that much more modern. Feels much more like a 1990's movie than it's release year (2002).

Edit:

Total Recall (1990)

Wow, why did I wait so long to watch this? I heard so many good things about the movie over the years. I can't believe the movie is almost 25 years old, the special effects and set design look very good for an early 1990's movie. Ahrnold is great, as usual, the story is very good and keeps you entertained and guessing, great action scenes.. Wonderful movie!

Edit 2:

Judge Dredd (1995)

Pretty naff but fun 1990's action movie. Not Sly's best acting by a long shot but I was drawn to his character. Overall a fun way to spend 90 mins but still quite forgettable. The 2012 version of Dredd looks much better based on the trailer I've seen, so I'll be sure to watch that too!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RoboCop (2014)
    I hope after this they stop trying to remake Paul Verhoeven movies. I watched it with an open mind. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. It had good ideas, but it wasn't executed well. I like that things were touched on that weren't in the original film, like the aftermath with Murphy's family. All in all, It could of and should have been better. It suffers from too many plot conveniences, choppy editing and BSG style cinematography. And the music score...bland, themeless. The original theme by the late Basil Poledouris only appears once, the rest is generic crap from the Hans Zimmer school of themeless music. Note to film composers. STOP COPYING HIM, HE SHOULDN'T BE AN INFLUENCE ON FILM MUSIC! Rant aside, It's a forgettable remake that brings nothing new to the character of Robocop. I liked it better than the Total Recall remake.

Insomnia

Excellent thriller from Christopher Nolan. Al Pachino does his usual thing as the skilled- but-flawed-cop with ease. However Robin Williams steals the film as the sinister killer with a hold on Pachino. Hiliary Swank likewise is very good as the young, enthusiastic officer. There are a few clinched, slightly less believable moments (I didn't believe a law abiding detective like Swank would suggest covering up Pachino's crime even after all she went through), however the film is efficient, well acted and contains some excellent cinematography.

8/10