SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

What the hell kind of name is "Hinx"?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I didn't read anywhere that this villain will be a recurring character. And that's fine with me. We already have a large regular cast and, also, I'd rather EON focus on one picture at a time.

James Page mentioned it in the comments. I've edited the title.. It was admittedly misleading.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I didn't read JP or anybody saying recurring ... just iconic. And they referred to Jaws because he was iconic. I don't expect a recurring henchman. But a physically imposing one, hopefully well written so a great one for the series.
    I didn't read JP or anybody saying recurring ... just iconic. And they referred to Jaws because he was iconic. I don't expect a recurring henchman. But a physically imposing one, hopefully well written so a great one for the series.

Title amended. Apologies as I am on a cell phone and too excited right now
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    No problem. :) I've been humming the James Bond theme myself most of the morning.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Here's an 18minute short movie of Kim Kold in a film called "Dennis", which later spawned a full feature movie calked "Teddy bear".

"Dennis” is about a bodybuilder that hasn`t got a social life with friends or even a girlfriend because he`s huge and considered a freak. In the “Dennis” movie, Kim Kold as the bodybuilder named Dennis who lives with his mother, and it seems that she doesn`t let him have a life because of his father who left them..

He could definitely be the henchman perfect for Bond 24.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,460
  • Wow a classic Henchman would be just great!!! :) I'm still sceptical but it would be very nice. And I hope that the name will be changed. Hinx is just awful. Reminds me of Jinx...
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Here's an 18minute short movie of Kim Kold in a film called "Dennis", which later spawned a full feature movie calked "Teddy bear".

"Dennis” is about a bodybuilder that hasn`t got a social life with friends or even a girlfriend because he`s huge and considered a freak. In the “Dennis” movie, Kim Kold as the bodybuilder named Dennis who lives with his mother, and it seems that she doesn`t let him have a life because of his father who left them..

can't see the movie now but walk watch it later. Sounds actually like an interesting film, regardless of the possibility of having Kold in a Bond movie.
    Hinx? Forget it. I prefer it if they call him Maws!
  • Yes or Iddjob.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Hinx? Forget it. I prefer it if they call him Maws!
    Yes or Iddjob.

Place-holder name, people! They don't actually give character names in casting calls.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Fantastic news! I've been saying for years it's time for another classic henchman. The last really good, iconic, memorable one we had was Onnatop* (Stamper, Zao, Elvis, Patrice, all of them were crap), and like @StoneShi said, Craig is the only Bond to not really have a good henchman so far, so it's great that they're fixing that.

The casting description seems a bit vague but still, how they talk about wanting another Jaws, Oddjob type has me excited. It's good that they say they're looking at a sports background too. There's quite a few boxers I think could make good Bond henchmen.

None of the news so far about Bond 24 had really thrilled me (I don't really care about snow/skiing), but this did. This henchman news is the best news about Bond 24 so far imo.

I think it's important they give the henchman some sort of gimmick, something to make him stand out. Look at Stamper, they got another big blonde Red Grant type but that was if. There was nothing different about him, he was dull. All the best henchman have gimmicks (Oddjobs hat, Jaws' teeth, Onnatop killing people with her thighs and getting turned on by killing people, etc). They need a gimmick to help them stand out and to make them memorable. Just getting another big guy won't do.

I'm excited now. Since they're having a more traditional henchman, maybe they're going to go all out and give DC his big, classic Bond film? When I say classic, I don't just mean a really good film (Craig has two of those already). What I mean is a film with all the traditional Bond ingredients (gadgets, henchman, etc), a film that follows the Bond blueprint completely and really nails it (like GF, TSWLM, TLD and GE). 2015 can't come soon enough.

*I guess you could count Renard but as you think he's the main villain for most of the movie, I think henchman is a bit of a low title for him. I'd say he's the secondary villain, or one of the main villains (along with Elektra), not a henchman.
    They should get Nikolai Valuev! He's been retired from boxing for a few years so he won't be too busy and he'd make the perfect henchman. He's massive (7 foot tall, over 300 pounds), he's ugly and he's Russian.

Yeah he's not an actor but most of the time the henchman hardly says anything (or in some cases doesn't speak at all) anyway and they said they were looking at people from a sports background.

EON, if you're reading this, give him a ring.

EDIT: Just looked it up and he's actually done one or two acting gigs too so chances are he'd be up for it. Make this happen EON! Please! If you do this then I'll have faith in you no matter what, even if you bring back Lee Tamahori or Marc Forster for Bond 25 :P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ludovico wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

can't see the movie now but walk watch it later. Sounds actually like an interesting film, regardless of the possibility of having Kold in a Bond movie.

I saw "Dennis"; it was a wonderful movie. Kold would make a great henchman. I think he played a heavy, no pun intended, in one of the Fast and furious films. He had a fight scene with "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson.

To be quite honest about this news... This one had me finally excited about this upcoming movie. I'm envisioning an adventure of the old variety. This might become the best of the Craig films. They'll have not just one brief encounter, but multiple ones. I just wish I won't get my hopes up too much.
    They should get Nikolai Valuev! He's been retired from boxing for a few years so he won't be too busy and he'd make the perfect henchman. He's massive (7 foot tall, over 300 pounds), he's ugly and he's Russian.

Yeah he's not an actor but most of the time the henchman hardly says anything (or in some cases doesn't speak at all) anyway and they said they were looking at people from a sports background.

EON, if you're reading this, give him a ring.

EDIT: Just looked it up and he's actually done one or two acting gigs too so chances are he'd be up for it. Make this happen EON! Please! If you do this then I'll have faith in you no matter what, even if you bring back Lee Tamahori or Marc Forster for Bond 25 :P

Second this! It doesn't get any bigger and bader than Valuev. this guy really looks like he has been bred to be a menaces' incarnation.
  • And since Valuev is an ex boxer (two time world champion), he'd be credible in the fight scenes. When he beats the crap out of Bond, it'd be even cooler because you know that he could easily do that in real life.

Plus it's about time Craig had a proper challenge. In pretty much every fight scene in Dans Bond films, he's been bigger, stronger and tougher than his opponent.

I think it's time we had another henchman that could easily twat Bond. Someone who Bond can't take in a fight and has to actually use his wits to defeat (think Bond electrocuting Oddjob, or using the magnet against Jaws).

Nikolai is perfect for this. He's actually a real fighter and he's over a foot taller than Daniel Craig. He's huge (they didn't call him the Russian Giant for nothing), he looks really menacing and he could easily batter Bond.
    Valuev would be a great choice.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He's big all right.
  • The only problem is language. I think he does speak a little English but in all the interviews I've seen of his he has a translator.

I'd like it if he didn't speak though. I think there's something creepy about the way Jaws and (especially) Oddjob are conpletely silent.
    And since Valuev is an ex boxer .

Well, quite a few boxing fans would argue that fact. His "technique" consisted solely on standing in the middle of the ring while letting his arms fall down on his opponent. But again, he looks like he could have survived Tchernobyl and should give Craig something to sink his teeth in!
    The only problem is language. I think he does speak a little English but in all the interviews I've seen of his he has a translator.

I'd like it if he didn't speak though. I think there's something creepy about the way Jaws and (especially) Oddjob are conpletely silent.

Patrice never spoke. I don't think they should pull that "trait" again so soon.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    The only problem is language. I think he does speak a little English but in all the interviews I've seen of his he has a translator.

Absolutely agreed. This the silent menace thing is wearing thin.
  • RC7RC7
    Is anyone else slightly sceptical about this? I don't want to immediately piss on the bonfire, but I'm, weirdly, uneasy about it.

I'm a Rog lover, I love the blatant iconography of the era, Jaws etc. It defines a big facet of Bond canon, but with Craig?

The worst bits of SF were when Mendes got nostalgic, the DB5 etc. Count me unconvinced on the idea of 'creating' an icon. The audience create icons when they take them to heart. They aren't just made, like an airfix kit.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm also not too enthusiastic about it @RC7 but all that talk in the casting call could be just that, casting call talk to attract people.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

I agree, but doubt that a henchman will have pages of dialog. If a non-English speaking actor is right for the role, they can learn the needed dialog.

Well for me this is the best bit of news so far. Why shouldn't Craig be allowed a classic sort of henchman? Why can't Craig have a more traditional Bond film?

CR was a nice change of pace but I'm actually glad that they're moving back towards more old school Bond now. Skyfall started this by introducing Q and MP, adding more humour, etc. And now it looks like they're carrying on in this direction with Bond 24, and I'm glad.

Someone else who I think would be a good henchman is Danny Trejo.
    And since Valuev is an ex boxer .

Well, quite a few boxing fans would argue that fact. His "technique" consisted solely on standing in the middle of the ring while letting his arms fall down on his opponent. But again, he looks like he could have survived Tchernobyl and should give Craig something to sink his teeth in!

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. He was slow, his punching power wasn't great and like you said his technique was poor (although I think he's acknowledged that in interviews and he did work on improving his technique towards the end of his career).

However, saying he wasn't a real boxer is unfair. He had good stamina, good endurance and a decent left jab. Plus we're criticising him now but he had a good long career. He was undefeated for most of his (almost 20 year long, 50 odd fight) pro career (and he only lost twice), he won the WBA world heavyweight title and not only was he never knocked out, wasn't he (I might be wrong here) never knocked down throughout his career?

Sure he's not on the same level as say Wlad Kitschco and a lot of the hype around him was mainly down to his size but he was a decent boxer imo.

I think the problem with Patrice was not that he doesn't speak but because there's literally nothing interesting about him.

The silent and menacing idea worked with Jaws and Oddjob because their actions spoke for them and because they both had memorable gimmicks.

What did Patrice do? He shot an art dealer and he had two bland fights with Bond. Nothing as memorable as Oddjob crushing a golf ball, killing Tilly, beheading the statue, etc. And what was Patrice's gimmick, what did he have to make him stand out? Nothing. He was just a regular boring assassin, more of a plot device than a character.

The silent menacing idea can really work well if done right (look at Oddjob and Jaws), and I suggested it because Nikolai Valuev (who I was suggesting for the henchman role) can't really speak English.
    I like the idea of a big, physical henchman for Bond to have to square off against. Bond really hasn't had a physical match in the Craig era, which is disappointing since Craig's Bond is much more physical than his predecessors.

That said, I wish that they'd do something a bit different and make such a character a female. Seeing Bond square off against a beautiful woman who could also surpass him in physicality and hand-to-hand combat would make for an interesting dynamic.