'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• I watched the odd episode when I was very young (I can remember one in Blackpool with Colin Baker, and these hands come out of the sand and drag him under, and I can vaguely remember a couple of Sylester Mccoy episodes, one with the daleks and a load of soldiers) but I was never really bothered.

The new series though is great. I watched it at first because Christopher Eccleston was in it and even though there have been some crap episodes I think it's really good. When it's at its best it's funny, clever, exciting and creepy. The acting is really good, the girls (apart from Catherine Tate) are fit, the special effects are really good for a TV show and the writing is (most of the time) really good.

One thing I don't like about it though that I hope they change is the music. It's always really cheesey and over dramatic. I remember the one where David Tennant regenerated and there was a whole choir screaming in the background.
    Tom Baker was 'my doctor'.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Tom Baker was 'my doctor'.

That's because you're old ;) I on the other hand am in the prime of my life and Christopher Eccleston is my favourite. I don't think I was even born when Tom Baker was the Doctor :P
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,942
    I must admit I'm fairly new to DW. I really got into it in 2009, and have seen pretty much all of the new series. Not sure who I like more between Tennant and Smith- they're both incredible. I vaguely remember seeing an episode back in the late 80s or 1990- all I remember is K-9 was in it. Maybe it was the Christmas special. Anyway, I've been making up for lost time by watching Who from the very start. Right now I'm about to start the reconstructed 'Marco Polo' arc. It'll be interesting to see how they fill out the episodes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I grew up in the tail end of the 80's and into the 90's, with vague memories of repeats in the latter. It wasn't until 2007 where I started watching the show, first through the classic show on DVD, then on the current Doctor, Tennant. I didn't get to "grow up" with a Doctor, but McCoy is my favourite.

Also, a warning, the new title sequence has been leaked on Youtube. So be careful if you are browsing Doctor Who on there.
    Like James Bond i grew up on Dr Who also! I am pleased it has such a successful comeback and now appears as a regular saturday evening show again.
    And here's the trailer for the first episode :

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The TARDIS has touched down in Sydney for the next leg of the tour:
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/12/tardis-lands-sydney-harbour-doctor-who-world-tour

And it's now 10 days to go.
    Gerard wrote: »

Cool! Just not sure about the dinosaur take? Think we have been spoilt in a good way by the Jurassic Park franchise.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Cool! Just not sure about the dinosaur take? Think we have been spoilt in a good way by the Jurassic Park franchise.

I loved the "dinosaurs on a spaceship" episode with Matt Smith and the effects were brilliant.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Looks good. Agree with RogueAgent, though.
    Not sure a Tyrannosaurus Rex is the best way to introduce the new Doctor.
  • It's weird how not that long ago, Doctor Who was an old cancelled TV show that hardly anyone outside of Britain had heard of that had pretty much become a joke, known for cheap sets, silly costumes and crappy monsters.

Now it's this massive phenomenom, the most successful thing the BBC have ever made, popular enough to justify a world tour promoting the new series with thousands of people in loads of countries turning up to meet the cast. It's funny how things change.
    From what I heard, the second episode, "Into the Dalek", has been leaked as well. But given that it will be a mere two weeks before it's aired in Britain, that I can see it live on my computer, and if I can't, I can still buy the episode on iTunes the day after, I don't see why I should search for the pirated file. What's the point, right ?
    Now it's this massive phenomenom, the most successful thing the BBC have ever made...

Not sure that's the case. Think natural history blockbusters like 'Planet Earth', 'Top Gear' and light entertainment formats like 'Strictly Come Dancing' are probably reaching bigger audiences globally as well as making more dosh for the corporation.

I stand to be corrected of course...
  • I forgot about Top Gear. Most successful drama they've ever made then.

Strictly maybe gets better ratings but it doesn't have the global audience (other countries have their own celebrity dancing shows) or the merchandise that Doctor Who and Top Gear have.
    All good points! However I'm pretty sure that virtually all the pro-celeb dancing shows are paying format fees to the beeb - even if they don't use the same name -e.g. Dancing With The Stars.

Especially good point re merchandising. Hadn't thought about that.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Jenna Coleman is apparently leaving in the Xmas special
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I hope not- she's the only reason I watch DW :P :x
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I hope not too. She's great, my favourite out of all the sidekicks. She's a dead good actress and even when there's a crap episode, at least I have something nice to look at when she's on screen.

EDIT: Just found the thing about her leaving. It's from the Daily Mirror, so I would say that it's not true, but it says the BBC refused to comment. If it was bullshit, wouldn't they just say so instead of refusing to comment? That makes me think it might be true.

@Anon Ah, I didn't know that Strictly was the original one. If America and all these other countries have to pay the BBC for the format then you're right, it's probably the most successful.
    That's a surprise. But an obvious time to leave, Capaldi's first series is over, she has helped to ease the transition from Smith to Capaldi. A pity if true, as Clara is my favourite of the modern (2005-) companions.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited August 2014 Posts: 1,380
    Bets on the next companion being American, to cement the marketing department's push for it to become a mainstream show over here?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    JamesPage wrote: »
    Bets on the next companion being American, to cement the marketing department's push for it to become a mainstream show over here?

TBH David Walliams has more of a chance of being the next companion than the Beeeb giving us an American to travel along with the Good Dr.
    Sorry James it just won't happen.
    What about Peri? ;)
    What about Peri? ;)
    That's why I said it Major it's been tried and was not at all successful .
    To be fair, only the character was american. So long as the show itself isn't Americanised, i'm not against an American companion.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's not a surprise if she does leave. Companions don't tend to stay for that long. Pairing someone else with Capaldi for the next two series makes sense, then I bet, Moffat and them may leave. Just a hunch.
    This time tomorrow we will have all seen the new Dr in action!!! :D
    Mixed feelings about this episode, the pacing felt too slow at times.

The last several minutes were brilliant.

I can hazard a guess who the woman was. Looks like somebody else from the whoniverse.
    Mixed feelings about this episode, the pacing felt too slow at times.

The last several minutes were brilliant.

I can hazard a guess who the woman was. Looks like somebody else from the whoniverse.

Hello Sweetie River by any chance !