'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Michael Grade, perhaps ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,905
    Colin Baker is no longer the current Doctor, so I doubt it's Grade.

Grade detested the show irrespective of who was in the title role, although he did also hate Baker.

Grade had a lot of hate it seems! ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Grade detested the show irrespective of who was in the title role, although he did also hate Baker.

I think you're right, though I feel his grudge was more aimed at Baker, than the show itself. Grade was succeeded by Jonathan Powell, who also axes the show, and then goes on to unleash Eldorado. 8-}

I think you're right, though I feel his grudge was more aimed at Baker, than the show itself. Grade was succeeded by Jonathan Powell, who also axes the show, and then goes on to unleash Eldorado. 8-}

I remember when Grade was the guest on Room 101 several years back and Doctor Who was one of the items he banished. He really, really didn't like it.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    When scripts for the first five episodes were leaked it was said video files were out there. Now the first two episodes of the series have been leaked online.

Oh dear.
    Confirmation here :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-leaked-episodes-update-64387.htm

Apparently, it comes from the same security leak as the scripts. But given that a) it's in black and white, b) it's not finished yet, I really don't see the point in going the extra mile to get it before its airing date.

Still begs a question, though : what was Horatio Caine doing while this was going on :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    To counteract the leaks the BBC has just aired the first trailer for the new series during the World Cup final.

It will be online soon.
    Just watched it. Looks like it's going to be quite dark in comparison to previous series.
    'Into darkness'
    www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-tv-launch-trailer-64375.htm
    Boy was that an unexpected treat!!!! That has really wetted the appetite!!!! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Boy was that an unexpected treat!!!! That has really wetted the appetite!!!! :-bd

Yes but the vital, technical information was taken out... ;-)

Yes but the vital, technical information was taken out... ;-)

:)) Have to say those sunset pictures in Rio with that huge statue were simply stunning!
    Not sure why that link did not work, keep getting fatal error message and screen freeze. Trail or looks great.
    Not sure why that link did not work, keep getting fatal error message and screen freeze. Trail or looks great.

I had that happen too last night, it maybe your pc adapting to the new set up as it has not happened since yesterday.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 14,037
    Wow, I just watched it multiple times. Cannot wait!

I had that happen too last night, it maybe your pc adapting to the new set up as it has not happened since yesterday.

Cheers, using tablet hopefully will sort itself out. Every time I type something error message comes up.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    The first episode is not worth downloading, unless you (like me) enjoy seeing the VFX work in progress. Some interesting comps and placeholders - it'll be interesting so see what the final, polished, ep looks like in comparison.
    Just wathced the trailer now, and it has succeeded in whetting my appetite. :)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Saw the trailer during the final the other night. Looks good, I'm really looking forward to it. I think one of the problems with the show, during Russel T Davies' run and Moffat's, is that it's sometimes so cheesey that it's cringey and making him a bit more of a bastard and an anti hero might help fix that. Definetely seems a lot darker now. I hope there are still funny bits but I think making it darker will do the show good.
    Saw the trailer during the final the other night. Looks good, I'm really looking forward to it. I think one of the problems with the show, during Russel T Davies' run and Moffat's, is that it's sometimes so cheesey that it's cringey and making him a bit more of a bastard and an anti hero might help fix that. Definetely seems a lot darker now. I hope there are still funny bits but I think making it darker will do the show good.

Have to say i agree with all of the above! Really looking forward to the new series! It needs to be scarey again!
    More talk about missing episodes:
    http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/#Philip-Morris-Gives-Update-On-Missing-Doctor-Who-Episodes

No mention of The Underwater Menace. :-w
    12 things we know about The 12th Doctor:
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/05/doctor-who-12-things-we-know-about-peter-capaldis-doctor-4820395/

Did you know that Brian Blessed was offered the role of the Doctor back in 1966?
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/05/brian-blessed-turned-down-doctor-who-bbc
    12 things we know about The 12th Doctor:
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/05/doctor-who-12-things-we-know-about-peter-capaldis-doctor-4820395/

Did you know that Brian Blessed was offered the role of the Doctor back in 1966?
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/05/brian-blessed-turned-down-doctor-who-bbc

Oh I love Brian Blessed! He is so funny and larger than life and has me in tears when he host's "Have I got news for you!" I can just see him now saying "THE MASTER'S ALIVE!!!!!" =))
    Well, the premiere for the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who was held in Cardiff last night and the reviews for 'Deep Breath' writtern and directed by Ben Wheatley have been overwhelmingly positive. Capaldi has been getting a massive thumbs up so far.

Cannot wait for August 23rd. :-bd
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Cool! Thankfully the Australian air date is in August, but I don't think we have a specific day yet.
    I've read two of the reviews, both were positive. Two weeks tomorrow, and we'll see if the praise is justified.
    I am not exactly a Dr Who fan, although have nothing against it. Don't think I've watched a full episode since the 80s. But I think the casting of Peter Capaldi was great and nice to see the character returning to older actors.