Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    ...and Live Wire.

... and Death Train... Detonator... Night Watch... ;)

I loved almost all of these, I'll admit. Entertaining, for what they're worth!

Though there is one small mistake. Here in the US. Death Train is Detonator. :P
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Which one is the one with a finale in a house under construction (I believe), where Pierce is rigging traps like MacGyver to stop the bad guys? I think he's a bomb defusal expert in that. I haven't seen it in years.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's Live Wire.
    The unrated version is pretty steamy...
    chrisisall wrote:
    That's Live Wire.

I might have to scour Amazon for some of these at cheap prices on DVD. Shame they aren't on blu-ray (as far as I know), but even if they were, they're so obscure that they would probably be upscaled and you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference, like the Dragon Dynasty films ('Hard Boiled,' 'The Killer,' 'A Better Tomorrow' trilogy, etc.)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    That's Live Wire.

I might have to scour Amazon for some of these at cheap prices on DVD. Shame they aren't on blu-ray (as far as I know), but even if they were, they're so obscure that they would probably be upscaled and you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference, like the Dragon Dynasty films ('Hard Boiled,' 'The Killer,' 'A Better Tomorrow' trilogy, etc.)

Someone's uploaded it on YouTube. It's in 9 parts though.

Oliver Stone's The Doors 4/10 Val is brilliant as is much of the cast but turning Morrison into an arrogant prick when the real Morrison was a calm quite guy unsure of all of the fame that he was given would of been far more compelling and interesting.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins the first half only and I must say this film is really amazing
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,478
    @Risico007, when I first saw TDK, I realized that 'Batman Begins' was nowhere near as excellent, but the more I saw (and subsequently got burnt out on) TDK, I continuously went back to BB and it just hit me more and more that this was one amazing film. It might be my favorite in the trilogy, actually. It's nearly tied with TDK, and then TDKR is way below both of them.

EDIT: 'Fair Game'

Simple mid-90's action film. It has a terrible rating, but I've always enjoyed it for the action scenes. Finale is incredibly rushed and horribly edited, but the rest of the film makes up for it. Plus, Cindy Crawford looks fantastic in this.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Risico007 wrote:
    Oliver Stone's The Doors 4/10 Val is brilliant as is much of the cast but turning Morrison into an arrogant prick when the real Morrison was a calm quite guy unsure of all of the fame that he was given would of been far more compelling and interesting.

I enjoyed it when it came out and it made me a Doors fan - or not the movie itself, but it made me quickly buy the six Doors cds... I had never before realized how much great music they had made. :P I haven't seen it for ages, though, but I can't imagine I'd enjoy it now, I'd be too irritated by the way it portrayed Morrison, probably. (I knew practically nothing about him the first time I saw it.). Anyway, to me it was clearly about the myth, not about the man, it didn't seem like a balanced, fair view at all. I agree with you that the real story would be more interesting and complex, and hopefully a good movie of it will be made some day.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,812
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    I believe at this point I'm enjoying The Hobbit movies as much as LOTR if not a little more. TDOS is a bit better than AUJ, plus Legolas is back!

Robocop (2014)
    I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it. I like the original but I'm not a die hard fan like many of you, so I think that's why I could enjoy the reboot. Personally I hope they make a sequel and get rid of that damn human hand and keep him grey!

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
    I liked it but glad I didn't go to the theater to see it. Chris Pine is a great Jack Ryan but the film it self wasn't as amazing as I was expecting it to be. At times I found my mind wondering away from the film.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,782
    2001 - on my brand new 55incher - even more mind-blowing.

4D Man - awesome sci-fi.

Alphaville - brilliant sci-fi.

Gladiator

It's been years since I've watched this movie. I enjoyed it as a young teenager but mostly for the action. As an adult I enjoy the movie as a whole, the action, story, acting, costumes, and sets. I watched the shorter theatrical version instead of the extended cut. When the movie ended I wished I had watched the latter because I found myself wanting more. Not that there wasn't enough but because I didn't want it to end just yet. The movie deserved it's academy award for best picture of 2000 and it 4 other awards.

Ridley Scott ranking
    Blade Runner
    Gladiator
    Robin Hood
    Black Hawk Down
    Legend
    Prometheus
    Alien
    Matchstick Men

I feel I need to watch Body of Lies, Kingdom of Heaven, Hannibal, and G.I. Jane again to properly place them in that list.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,552
    Interesting list there, @QsAssistant , but Alien is ranked pretty low. ;-) I think it should rank miles above Prometheus, Legend, Gladiator - hell, all of them accept Blade Runner.

But hey, no offence. ;-) I understand that Alien polarises film fans. I know that some people find it tedious and dull, old and dusty, in general: slow. I myself think the world of it. The Giger artwork, the story and its themes. The slow build-up of tension, the character moments, the sets, the music, ... I think it's a marvellous achievement, a class A film.

That said, I liked Gladiator too back in the day. Watched it once in theatres, then countless times on VHS (remember those? :D). I have it on DVD but it's gaining dust somewhere. I should revisit it sometime soon.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gladiator is great, and one of the reasons why I have high hopes for Bond 24.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,812
    @DarthDimi, no offence taken, I get that response quite often. I like Alien but as you said it gets pretty slow and at times dull. I really have to be in the mood to watch it for me to enjoy any ounce of it. Personally I don't understand why it gets put on a pedestal for so many.

@Thunderfinger, did I miss something? How is Gladiator connected to Bond 24?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    John Logan
    I actually had to look up who that was. It's funny, I've been a fan of his this whole time and didn't know it :P He wrote my favorite movie The Last Samurai and has Gladiator, The Time Machine, and Skyfall under his belt. He's writing Bond 24 and according to IMDB he's also going to write Bond 26.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517589/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That's because someone got Bond 24 renamed Bond 25 and thus Bond 25 became Bond 26. It's the next two films he's writing: Bond 24 (2015) and Bond 25 (TBA).
    'The Big Chill'

Not sure if anyone has heard of it, but it's about a group of people who were best friends in college meeting up over a weekend after one of their other friends committed suicide. Tears are shed, secrets are revealed, laughs are had, and a lot of other things. It's a very fun movie, more dramatic and less comedic than I expected.

'Thief'

This film captures the 80's (how I would expect them to be) so damn well, and Tangerine Dream delivers one kickass soundtrack. I love this film, it's an excellent first entry by the wonderful Michael Mann.
    @Creasy47, Excellent choice, sir. I think Thief is a great way to start the series of crime thrillers that Mann made, leading us towards the almost perfect HEAT.

Caan is wonderful in the film, and he's not the only one. The score is heavy on synth... I so love the 80s. :D
    You and I both. The synth soundtrack is beautiful, and it fits with the neo-noir, rain-soaked neon setting. It's so fantastic. And the whole film builds up to one intense finale.

EDIT: Re-watched 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and 'World War Z' today. I haven't seen the Indy films in a looong time, so I'm finally cracking open my 'Indiana Jones' blu-ray boxset and watching all three four.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,575
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
    Directed by clooney, former Batman :)
    Hard to believe film since it was based on the Chuck Barris memoirs,game show creator.
    Weird and wacky like some of the people on this forum. :-)) :-)) :-))
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,552
    Creasy47 wrote:
    You and I both. The synth soundtrack is beautiful, and it fits with the neo-noir, rain-soaked neon setting. It's so fantastic. And the whole film builds up to one intense finale.

EDIT: Re-watched 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and 'World War Z' today. I haven't seen the Indy films in a looong time, so I'm finally cracking open my 'Indiana Jones' blu-ray boxset and watching all three four.

Don't you mean "four three"? ;-)

Aliens
    I still haven't figured out, after all these years, which film in the series I like best: Alien or Aliens. But it remains a fact that I'm in fanboy heaven every time I watch Cameron's sequel, and this time was no different.

aliens-5050defea5b23.png
    @DarthDimi, that's how it used to be, but since I have all four films, I might as well watch the monstrosity that is 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.' That's Spielberg at his finest! ;-)
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,691
    My new Blu Ray of Westworld was THE BOMB! I haven't experienced this flick THIS AWESOME since seeing it in the theatre in freakin' 1973!!!! Long-dormant visual memory was ignited.
    Oh my Buddha.
    'The Raid: Berandal'

I can confidently say this is the first time I've ever sat in a dark room by myself while watching a movie and clapped at the end of the scene. Unbelievable action movie, this is one of the GREATEST ones I've ever seen. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but as the film progressed, I loved where it was going: fantastically-choreographed fight scenes (lasting a few minutes to sometimes almost ten minutes) and quiet dramatic moments to progress the story along. You have to see this movie. Watch 'The Raid' and then watch this. My only complaint was that I had to watch a dubbed version, but I tell you what, I'll be sinking my teeth into the original Indonesian audio as soon as this hits blu-ray. I can't wait to see the deleted scenes/fights as well. I hear there's an almost four minute straight shot fight scene that'll be on the blu-ray. I'm so excited.

EDIT: Watched the 'Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures' set, including 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The CGI Animals.'
    Watched Now You See Me (2013)
    Good film with plenty of suspense and action 7.5/10.
    Just rewatched 'Hard Boiled.' This is most certainly one of my favorite HK action films. Fantastic stuntwork and choreography.
  • "The Last Contract" with Mikael Persbrandt and Michael Kitchen. Great movie...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Harry Brown (2009)
    At any age, Michael Caine always kicks @$$.
    Harrybrown.jpg