Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

I think that QOS is one of those films that people will appreciate more in time.

Just like LTK is now in a lot of members top ten now.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Perhaps. I hope so. Only time will tell.
    barryt007 wrote:
    I think that QOS is one of those films that people will appreciate more in time.

Just like LTK is now in a lot of members top ten now.

I don't think people will appreciate it 'a lot' more. I think it's a mid-table, decent movie. But I do think the detractors will calm down overtime and realise it's actually nowhere near as bad as some of them make out.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I don't think it's a "bad" film. There's quite a bit of decent stuff thrown into the mix. The problem for me is that it's just disappointing. For all it's merits I just don't find it all that entertaining. It's a 5/10 film. 6 if I'm being generous. some of its good but the flaws ive mentioned affect the film. as ive said I'd still rather re-watch some of the sillier films before this.

Skyfall may have problems with its plotting but, as a piece of entertainment, I much prefer it. There are more compelling scenes and the film has a more traditional (yet still impressive) feeling to it production-wise.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And talking about time, this is why I find this list questionable to say the least. In the whole history of cinema, Skyfall is THE most overrated movie ever?

Yes, that's a good point. The significance of lapsed time applies to overrating/underrating as much as it does to overall quality. Let's see where SF stands in 2037--I hope I can see! Then again, we can't really expect journalists to respect strict logic any more than we can expect Internet posters to do so. All in all, no real reason to get fussed here, although I often fail to observe that dictum myself.

I know I am being too worked up about it, but when in an op article someone makes a list of the ten most overrated movies of cinema, I expect someone's honest and knowledgeable opinion on such question. SF is not the most overrated movie in history, it is not even the most overrated Bond movie or the most overrated Mendes movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Skyfall does not belong on that list any more than The Departed or Inception. Maybe Slumdog Millionaire. Citizen Kane would belong there. Great film! But best film ever? No!
    Skyfall does not belong on that list any more than The Departed or Inception. Maybe Slumdog Millionaire. Citizen Kane would belong there. Great film! But best film ever? No!
    I agree. Citizen Kane may be the most overrated film of all time. Skyfall on the other hand, while I agree it is quite overrated as a Bond film, is still a good movie.
  • Pajan005 wrote:
    I enjoy TLD alot. But, SF took me into some good feelings. I got so invested I forgot I was watching a movie at some points. That's best praise I can give a film.

One thing I like about Skyfall is if you watched it on a huge imax screen (like I did), during the scene in Scotland, you feel like you were actually there.

It may not be the best film ever, but this is debatable. I respect those who think it is. My issue with this list is that it is as silly as those "best movies ever" list do not have one film older than twenty years old.
    Pajan005 wrote:
    I enjoy TLD alot. But, SF took me into some good feelings. I got so invested I forgot I was watching a movie at some points. That's best praise I can give a film.

One thing I like about Skyfall is if you watched it on a huge imax screen (like I did), during the scene in Scotland, you feel like you were actually there.

That's what I love about many of the 60s films (particularly FRWL, TB, YOLT and OHMSS), you felt like you were there with the characters rather than just watching them being there. I think SF does a relatively decent job at re-capturing that.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:

It may not be the best film ever, but this is debatable. I respect those who think it is. My issue with this list is that it is as silly as those "best movies ever" list do not have one film older than twenty years old.

Exactly. It highlights the transparent nature of these exercises. Worthless. People make lists to justify things to themselves. It's all a load of old bollocks. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Getafix wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    "Dont think....just let it happen"........

"Its 'beautiful,in Afghan".......

Pass me the sick-bucket...in English.....

I think only Laz and Diana came close in OHMSS and they despised each other... so perhaps they deserve the most credit.

I actually think George and Diana's onscreen romance is probably the most convincing in the series. That barn scene at the end genuinely makes me a little tear-y when I watch it. They feel like a real couple planning their future. Diana in particular is brilliant and rubs off (metaphorically) on George. Tim and Marian didn't get this reaction from me and neither did Dan or Eva (it takes quite a lot for me to get emotional in films). They did have some nice scenes, but I never felt myself welling up like I did with George and Diana. It's just the little lines of dialogue that make it feel so natural and believable:

"Sorry about the accommodation Contessa"
    "We should have rung ahead and booked"
    "...I understand...we'll just have to go on the way we are"
    "...I wonder how much they're asking for this place" (the barn)

(I'm quite sure Barry's score plays a part too)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    IMO, Skyfall isn't even the most overrated film in modern cinema, never mind in cinema history. The most overrated film of modern times belongs to Avatar.
    I can't overrate GF, as I struggle to find superlatives that do it justice. I feel like a million bucks after watching this film. I want to teleport back to the '60s immediately upon viewing and experience that great decade as an adult.
    GF is the most uplifting of all Bond films.
    Never in the history of cinema did a man move on screen as well as Sean Connery. Nor exhibit such a lethal combo of charm and malelvolance, not to mention wit.
    Never did suits look as good on a mere mortal, although George Clooney does rival in the modern era.
    GF is the ultimate Spyfy genre classic - the template for not only Bond but the whole genre. Someday I am going to waste an entire day, watching GF in the morning, followed by a binge of classic Man From Uncle and Avengers episodes of the era.
    GF sits on a pedestal!! I love this film!
    Birdleson wrote:
    IMO, Skyfall isn't even the most overrated film in modern cinema, never mind in cinema history. The most overrated film of modern times belongs to Avatar.

I didn't take this thread as referring to the most overrated film ever, I assumed we're talking Bond films.
    Yes, AVATAR was complete shit.

Seconded. It was bloody awful.
    Birdleson wrote:

I didn't take this thread as referring to the most overrated film ever, I assumed we're talking Bond films.

Seconded. It was bloody awful.

I didn't think it was awful, in fact I enjoyed it when I watched it at the cinema, but it is a shallow piece of entertainment that takes itself far too seriously as a moralistic eco-fable. Technically, it is an achievement, but the story, characters and the themes are very thin. Which is my main gripe about most of Cameron's movies: they are dumb action movies trying to pass as Citizen Kane. They would be better if they were as intelligent as they were pretentious.

That said, Avatar is not the most overrated film ever. I don't know if Titanic deserves this crown, but it is already far more overrated than Avatar, as it won best picture, as if it was anything more than a banal love story set on a sinking boat.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Birdleson wrote:

With "of all time" in the title, I would assume so. But that just shows how ignorant the author of the article is. But I must concur, "shit" is perhaps the best word to describe that film.
    If SF is the most overrated film of all time for this critic, I dread to think what's his most underrated.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote:
    If SF is the most overrated film of all time for this critic, I dread to think what's his most underrated.

DAD?
    Ludovico wrote:

DAD?

I think he has said somewhere else that he prefers either Dalton movie over any of the Brosnan films, so I doubt he regards DAD as underrated...
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

DAD?

I think he has said somewhere else that he prefers either Dalton movie over any of the Brosnan films, so I doubt he regards DAD as underrated...

As long as its not DAF or MWTGG I'm happy.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

DAD?

As long as its not DAF or MWTGG I'm happy.

Well, he says in the article that TLD is perhaps still the most underrated Bond movie amongst the wider public. I'd agree. It's a top 5 entry for me. I have noticed more and more people mentioning how much they like Dalton though. Was speaking to a friend who is just a casual Bond fan the other day who said how they'd stopped watching the films during the Brosnan era. And then said - 'I quite liked that Dalton guy though'. Think it's a bit of a generational thing. There is a small group who actually grew up with Dalts as Bond, as they are now reaching that age where their views are being heard in the media - hence all the recent articles mentioning how great he was.
    I am not saying this against Dalton, but now there is a bit of snobbery in some circles about his tenure. And yes, TLD is underrated as a movie, but again its not the most underrated movie of all time.
    A very curious thing snobbery.

I like Dalton's films, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them underrated. Perhaps to an extent, but they do have their flaws as well as their strengths. TLD and LTK are #13 and #14 in my current rankings. Good solid films with some great moments, but not particularly remarkable or "classic" overall IMO. I'd put YOLT and OP above both.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    A very curious thing snobbery.

I like Dalton's films, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them underrated. Perhaps to an extent, but they do have their flaws as well as their strengths. TLD and LTK are #13 and #14 in my current rankings. Good solid films with some great moments, but not particularly remarkable or "classic" overall IMO. I'd put YOLT and OP above both.

I'm a big fan of YOLT and OP, so don't have a problem with you ranking them above TLD or LTK at all. I personally rank them both above LTK. I do think TLD is very close to being a classic though. And I do think TLD is underrated amongst the wider audience. It's surprising the number of casual fans who just dismiss the Dalton movies out of hand - often, I suspect, without ever having seen them. There was such a consensus in the 90s about the Dalton films being a flop (just as there had been a consensus earlier about OHMSS being a dud) that it was almost as if the issue wasn't up for conversation. Dalton's reputation has had to come from a very long way down to reach the point today where a lot of people are happy to talk about his Bond having been ahead of its time and actually (shock, horror) really rather good.
    I think it's one of those films where you remember certain scenes rather than the overall plot, which is quite bland. The hotel room scene with Pushkin is great as is the PTS, the sniper sequence, the Mi6 infiltration and the cargo net fight. I did find myself getting a bit bored in parts of it though.

I enjoyed it when I saw it again last week, but I think i'd still put it mid-table over all.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think it's one of those films where you remember certain scenes rather than the overall plot, which is quite bland. The hotel room scene with Pushkin is great as is the PTS, the sniper sequence, the Mi6 infiltration and the cargo net fight.I did find myself getting a bit bored in parts of it though.

I think there are parts of lots of the movies that are a tad dull. Overall though, I think TLD is a quality entry.
    It is a good entry but I'm not sure it's one of the all time best.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It is a good entry but I'm not sure it's one of the all time best.

It's one of my all time favourites, but am not going to throw my rattle out of the pram if you disagree!
    I can certainly see why many people like it a lot so am not going to argue. I like it too, just not quite as much as some.