And, as everyone does on this thread, my next five:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Planet Of The Apes
    Batman
    Star Wars

And, honourable mention to:

Licence To Kill
    Robocop 3 (yeah, don't laugh too hard there)
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Conan The Barbarian
    Enter The Dragon

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2001 is awesome,even my son loves it,
    most hate it though.
    I have tried to convert people to no avail. Again and again people have felt tortured by this film, stupid cretins.
    The only time I got a positive response was when I showed the psychedelic ending to some friends who were heavily intoxicated by illegal substances. We ended up seeing that 5 times. The rest of the film was lost on them.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    My top 5

1. Original Star wars Trilogy

I have been a lifelong star wars fan and this could be on the top because Star Wars was the first film I remember feeling a part of, the same goes with Empire and Return.

2. The Dark Knight Rises

This is where the Chris Nolan fanboy in me starts. When I first saw this film in the cinema, I loved it. Now I have it on dvd, I still love it. Unlike avengers assemble, this film displays the same level of epicness on dvd as in cinema

3. Inception

This has already been talked to death so I'll keep this short. Leo DiCaprio gives his best performance here and whoever wrote the scripts deserves an Oscar, BAFTA and a Golden Globe at the same time.

4. The Matrix

I love films that make you think and The Matrix is one of them. I got the whole trilogy at Christmas and this was the second film I saw in my Christmas haul, the first being Star Trek Into Darkness which was still awesome, but a remake of TWOK.

5. Jaws

2001 is awesome
    most hate it though.

Who the fridge hates 2001?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SuperheroSith, happy to see some big 'Jaws' love. I think it's one of the best horror movies I've ever seen, Spielberg does a magnificent job with everything in it, and some of the scenes in it have those scares that just never get old because they're so eerie and intense. Also, hats off to you for 'The Matrix.' It's probably one of my favorite trilogies (if not the most favorite of mine) and I did a proper marathon of it a month or so ago, enjoyed every minute of it.
    2001 is awesome
    most hate it though.

Who the fridge hates 2001?

Like the book better, hate is strong word for anything to do with the arts. But you would not get me to volunteer sitting through another showing of 2001 any time soon. ;)

I've heard that '2001' really requires a special mindset for an enjoyable viewing. One day, I will watch it, though I really have to be in the mood for it, apparently.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    2001 is brilliant, i love the ending and Kubrics brilliant directing. He was and still is ahead of his time, he was a true genius!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can't believe I've never posted in here. Well first time for everything.

1. Lawrence Of Arabia
    2. Jaws
    3. The Shawshank Redemption
    4. Forrest Gump
    5. Back To The Future

Too many great films to choose from, and some wonderful films that I could mention.
    @Benny, welcome, then. Happy to see some more 'Jaws' love, I can't get enough of that film lately. One of the best horror films I've ever seen. I can't believe I've never seen 'Lawrence of Arabia,' but with how cheap it is on blu-ray and with me seeing it on sale all the time, I always want to blind-buy it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    2001 is my favourite film of all time. I love the book as well but then they're not too different in terms of story. They are different media though, so comparing them is a trifle difficult. ;-)
    The book makes more sense, if that makes sense. The film leaves more to the imagination concerning what actually goes on. I think that is what puts some people off. That, and the lack of action scenes. Lack of action does not mean lack of suspense, mind you.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @SuperheroSith, hats off to you for 'The Matrix.' It's probably one of my favorite trilogies (if not the most favorite of mine) and I did a proper marathon of it a month or so ago, enjoyed every minute of it.

I do love The Matrix, but The Matrix Revolutions in my opinion is awful
    @SuperheroSith, it's definitely my least favorite of the series, but I still do enjoy it. I don't like that we got so many intense fights throughout the first two (especially 'Reloaded') and then all we're awarded in 'Revolutions' is the nightclub entrance and the finale battle.
  • 1. The Italian Job
    2.Monty python and the holy grail
    3.Skyfall
    4.Airplane
    5.The Cannonball Run

honorable mentions
    Life Of Brian
    Jack Reacher
    Senna
    RUSH
    Hot fuzz
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited April 2014 Posts: 3,157
    In no particular order:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark: Favourite movie of all time, never get tired of watching it. I can't find a single flaw with the movie, everything's perfect. The direction, the music, the acting - oh man, how is it possible everyone's mocking about DiCaprio not getting the oscar, and no one rememebering that Harrison Ford got only one nomination during his life?

2. A Clockwork Orange: A movie which opened my eyes (I later read the book, and I loved it as well) and changed my mind and my way to think forever. It's got so many important themes qnd messages which were true not only back in the 70s when the movie was made, but still are today (and always will).

3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service: The first time I watched OHMSS I didn't exactly fall in love with it. At the time, I had watched at least half of the Bond movies, and I certainly ranked OHMSS high in the list, but didn't exactly think "it's one of the best movies I've ever watched". The year after, almost 11 months later, I read the book and re-watched the movie, and wow, both were beautiful. There's a couple of bits here and there I don't like (the use of the classic arrangement of Bond theme instead of Barry's track!), but really, nothing that affects my opinion for the movie. Lazenby, Savalas and Rigg are awesome in the movie and they all have great chemistries. The music is splendid (OHMSS and WHATTITW are among the best Bond pieces ever written)

4. Jurassic Park: Nostalgia plays an important factor here, as when I was much younger I used to watch this movie every day. Nowadays, I can't help but love this movie just like when I was 6 years old and feel like a kid everytime I watch it.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas: just like Jurassic Park, it's another movie that I probably love for nostalgia reasons, but other than that, I love every second of it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. GoldenEye 1995
    2. RoboCop 1987
    3. Back to the Future 1985
    4. Superman the Movie 1978
    5. Die Hard 1988
    Murdock wrote:
    1. GoldenEye 1995
    2. RoboCop 1987
    5. Die Hard 1988

Not a bad choice at all.
    Murdock wrote:
    1. GoldenEye 1995
    2. RoboCop 1987
    5. Die Hard 1988

Not a bad choice at all.

Timeless classics I shall forever hold close to me. :)
    The Good, The bad, and the ugly.
    The Shawshank Redemption.
    The Green Mile.
    Cleopatra.
    Where Eagles Dare.

@RogueAgent, I'm ashamed to say I've never fully seen 'The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.' One of the many classics I need to get around to watching.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @RogueAgent, I'm ashamed to say I've never fully seen 'The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.' One of the many classics I need to get around to watching.

Your right my friend, it is a classic!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Your right my friend, it is a classic!

A must see. When I watched this with my son a few years ago and Eastwood showed up, he asked me: "Dad, is that Wolverine?" :))
    I really need to get around to it, then. I want to say I've watched a bit of it when it was on television once, but I'm not sure. Does it contain a bathtub scene, of sorts?
    I think so, but could be mixing it up with the other two films.
    I just remember seeing a scene where:

One of the main characters is taking a bath, and someone tries to sneak in, and the main character has a revolver hidden in the soapy water and he blasts him.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I really need to get around to it, then. I want to say I've watched a bit of it when it was on television once, but I'm not sure. Does it contain a bathtub scene, of sorts?

Yes.
    The ugly is taking a bath when some guy comes in and monologues about Killing him or something but what he doesn't know is that the Ugly has his gun in the tub and kills the guy. He then says, "If your going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
    That's it! I loved that scene. I think I'll have to just pick up this film soon because I'm always seeing it for cheap.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's it! I loved that scene. I think I'll have to just pick up this film soon because I'm always seeing it for cheap.

It is a rather hard sit at first but You just have to watch it under the right conditions. A non lit room with afternoon sunlight shining in and have a pizza and cold drink with you. That's how I manage to watch it non stop. :)
    1.Passion of the Christ

2. Skyfall

3. The Book of Eli

4. Raiders of the lost Ark

5. The Dark Knight