Craig: "What film are you watching?"
    Me: "North By Northwest"
    Craig: "Never seen it"
    Me: "One of my favs. It's classic Alfred Hitchcock"
    Craig: "Who?"
    Me: "......."

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

@Willy, who is this Craig person, and when shall we burn him at the stake?

My partner. But I don't think his mother would be too pleased with me. ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

Okay, fine, maybe I came on a bit too strong with the whole burning at the stake thing. But I say 50 lashings is still warranted for his cinematic ignorance. I mean, it's Hitch for crying out loud! :D

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

Okay, fine, maybe I came on a bit too strong with the whole burning at the stake thing. But I say 50 lashings is still warranted for his cinematic ignorance. I mean, it's Hitch for crying out loud! :D

Till he met me, he'd only ever seen 1 Bond movie, never seen a Star Wars or a Godfather film.

I despair! ~X(
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,502
    Good thing he has you to educate him then! ;)
    jobo wrote:

He's watched more films in the last 12 months than in his entire life! :D
  • My word Captain America, my word Captain America....

A political thriller that has its heart in the great era of 70s movies. How brave to make a commercial comic book character into such a great post-modern polemic of how we are controlled today...my god, that is brave.

Spend the money, go watch it, its a tremendous intelligent, yes intelligent, film that has given me a bit of faith that hollywood can make entertaining, well scripted, beautifully acted films.

The only negative for me, is that when the comic book theme is added back into the movie, it brought the movie down for me - how weird? I know it sounds strange but it was so out of place for the tone of this movie.

Watch it you'll love it.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I seldom see a film twice in the cinema, @forgotmyusername, but am planning to see this once more.
  • I seldom see a film twice in the cinema, @forgotmyusername, but am planning to see this once more.

I think I'll join you - as i caught the mid credits sequence but missed the end credits sequence.

Fantastic film...roll on X-Men and The Raid 2.
    The end credits sequence sets up the next Avengers film.
    Oh for F sake stop hyping me even more for Cap USA... I can't wait till Thursday..
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,081

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

:| Oh dear.

I love that movie, too, btw.

(There's a line about it in Dallas Buyers Club, and I remember thinking when watching it something along the lines of "I bet some of you kids didn't get that..." - And unfortunately I'm sure I was right. I imagine there are now a bunch of people who believe that somebody called Rock Hudson once starred in some movie called North By Northwest.)
    jobo wrote:

He's watched more films in the last 12 months than in his entire life! :D

Well done you.

The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946) with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and (in his film debut) Kirk Douglas. I had seen this before, long time ago, and barely remembered it, and it was well worth re-watching. Good old black and white film noir.

Bernie (2011) with Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, and Matthew McConaughey, all great. Black was quite brilliant in fact. Based on a true story, amazingly enough. This is categorized as a comedy, and even if it's a black one, I still don't really see it as a comedy myself. I certainly never laughed once and thought the story was quite tragic and sad in the end. I did like it, though.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Fargo. If you haven't seen it, watch it.
    ^^ Seen it several times. :)
    The English Patient. Again it is proven that I am not huge fans of slow dramas. I really don't like movies that are made specially for Oscars, drama with a sad story that is getting prolonged minute after minute after minute. With that sad I found some really enjoyable momments in it. M is amazing in the movie, the score is great, it has good scenery and really good acting. 7/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Charade & North By Northwest are the two best Bond movies Bond never made IMO. :))
    Both viewed in the last month or two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

I think you need a thorough talk with your partner about who Alfred Hitchcock is!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Watching STOP OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT. Pretty crap film. I just hope the director never went near the Bond series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Watching STOP OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT. Pretty crap film. I just hope the director never went near the Bond series.
    You know how I'd like to respond to this, but I said I'd stop.
    :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Hatchet (2006)

I have not watched this film since Hatchet 2, but watching it now, it comes of as minimal compared to it's successor. Though the film is still no slouch when it comes to stylized gore, and all done the old fashioned way, no CGI. The key to a good slasher film is primarily down to it's final girl, and in this one, I didn't find Marybeth all that likeable. One minute she is holding it together, the next she is in hysterics.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I'm past caring about comic book films. I liked the Batman trilogy but I think they're churning out way too many of these movies.

Having said that, you lot are really making me want to see the new Captain America film. Will I understand it if I haven't seen the first one (I have seen Avengers, if that helps)?
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Sunday: Alexander (2004) by Oliver Stone. With Colin Farrell, Jared Leto, Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer, Anthony Hopkins. For some reason I didn't expect to like it, but I did. I had my doubts about Colin as blond Alexander with an Irish accent but got used to it in about a minute. Jared was beautiful as his best (only?) friend and loved one with a lovely Irish accent, too. (I've heard Irish people say it's actually perfect - not being a native speaker I have to take their word for it.) Some people apparently hated Angelina as Alexander's mother - I had no problem with her in the role. To my embarrassment I didn't recognize Val. :-S I noticed after the film that "what, Val Kilmer was in it? wait a minute..." watched a scene with him again and indeed, it was him. Blimey. Still embarrassed. I'll definitely want to see the long (I obviously mean longer) version of this as well, and intend to find out a bit more about the historical stuff.

Monday: Mud (2012) with Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Sam Shepard. Excellently cast, even the kids were really good. I had heard good things about this one, but had no idea what it was about (which is often a great way to watch movies). I liked it a lot, and so did the friend I was watching it with. =D>

Tuesday: Lonely Hearts (2006) with Jared Leto & Salma Hayek (the murderous couple) and John Travolta & James Gandolfini (investigating the case). Based on a true story. Well done and all, but for some reason I didn't like it as much as I would have wanted to. It certainly wasn't bad, but I don't know... Gotta watch it again some day.

Wednesday: Panic Room (2002) by David Fincher. With Jodie Foster, Forest Whitaker, Jared Leto, Kristen Stewart (aged 10-11). Much better than I remembered. I enjoyed this a lot more now than the first time around, go figure. (A minor, but interesting detail: the cornrows - just perfect for Junior. :P An inspired hairstyle choice, and I'm pleased that Fincher approved. I love it when actors come up with their own ideas and input, too - then it's up to the director to decide for or against.)
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    PAIN AND GAIN

A somewhat obnoxious, unpleasent film from Mr Michael Bay. After hearing Mark Kermode's devastating review I was curious to watch it for myself - maybe against my better judgement. While I didn't hate it as much as he did I can completely understand his criticisms of the film.

For me the biggest flaws are that a). it tries to be ironic and thought provoking but keeps going back to cheap "Bay-isms" and b) despite being a dark comedy it just isn't funny as most of the humour is too vulgar and/or juvenile (didn't they already do the "getting comically tazered" routine in The Hangover?).

Mark Walberg was ok and the story itself is interesting but should have been directed by better, more respectful hands.

A poor effort yet again from the director everyone loves to hate.

4/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Hatchet 2 (2010)

Picking up where Hatchet left one, and things are about to get bloodier. This one must have more of the red stuff in 5 minutes than the first did from start to finish, and the first one wasn't exactly lacking in the ol' claret department.
    Horror legend in her own right, Danielle Harris, takes over as Marybeth, further adding to this series roster of horror actors. And to top it off, we get bit more back story to the origins of Victor Crowley.

1. Hatchet 2 (2010)
    2. Hatchet (2006)
    Captain America : The Winter Soldier. Very, very good.
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)

I’m not a particularly big fan of Anderson’s in general. While I have yet to see a film of his I don’t find charming to some extent, sometimes their offbeat quirkiness seems rather calculated and I seldom feel the need to revisit them. Moonrise Kingdom would be a fine example. I distinctly remember having a good time at the cinema, but today I couldn’t really tell you anything about the film apart from the basic plot and some famous names appearing in it. I don’t feel particularly inclined to freshen up my memory either.

That said, The Grand Budapest Hotel is probably my favourite film of 2014 so far. The film is unquestionably fluffy, whimsical and somewhat aloof, which certainly goes for its many darker parts as well. It would be pushing it to suggest that the elements of satire, murder mystery, slapstick comedy, violence, romance, requiem, adventure, thriller, period drama and hints of political commentary really gel, but then again the film’s ambitions lie elsewhere. It does offer a rollercoaster of a tall tale for anyone inclined to be taken for a ride. The visuals are lush and highly stylized with different aspect ratios, self-conscious cuts between the lavish atrium of The Grand Budapest Hotel and the very obvious miniature model serving as its exterior and special effects paying tribute to the ones of the silent era. Though the quirky, repetitive score mostly stays in the background, it gradually adds a nearly hypnotic quality to the proceedings. And while a sense of sadness and dread slowly finds its feet among the absurdity and vagaries, it’s hard not to smile in the face of the coming disaster.

And while the cast is uniformly good, Ralph Fiennes stands out as a somewhat unexpectedly gifted comedic actor. Bond fans can look forward to see him going up against not only Mathieu Amalric but also Willem Dafoe’s memorable private detective, really a Bond film henchman seen through an Austin Powers tinted filter (poor cat, though). And until proven wrong, I will take the downhill chase near the end of the film as homage to On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Like the titular establishment, I’m not sure how The Grand Budapest Hotel will stand the test of time. Most definitely a good time at the cinema, though, and I’m fairly confident I will revisit at least this world of Anderson’s.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Re-watching UNDER SEIGE for the first time in a few years. Daft, silly with some terrible acting from Segal and (especially) Miss Boobies July '89 as well as some members of the supporting cast. Yet Tommy Lee Jones salvages things as the scene chewing Stranix. Looked at in 2014 it's pretty naff but still entertaining largely thanks to Jones.

5/10
    The Winter Soldier. A movie that is trying to be serious political thriller while doing it's typical super hero shtick. Seeing the big picture it works pretty well but this movie needs you to have your brain shut down 100% for some of the things you'll see which is weird cause this movie wants to be a political thriller. The directors could have done a better job, but all an all it's a good movie that is definitely worth seeing in the theatres.
    7.5/10
    I'm past caring about comic book films. I liked the Batman trilogy but I think they're churning out way too many of these movies.

Having said that, you lot are really making me want to see the new Captain America film. Will I understand it if I haven't seen the first one (I have seen Avengers, if that helps)?

You will understand it fine, but it would be a huge advantage to see the first one first. There are characters from that film who resurface, and you will appreciate the interaction between Steve Rogers and those characters much more if you know the backstory.
    AMADEUS - what a beautifull movie and musically just out of this world, Mozarts music is just beautifull. Even if the movie tells a fairly untrue story dramatically it works. Tom Hulce created a brilliant character. 10/10

Captain America -the winter soldier - What a brilliant movie it achieved being a great actionmovie, the attack on Nick Fury being absolutely terrifying, it has some political overtones with a shedload of critism aimed at the NSA and their tactics taken one step further into a fascist new world. If EON should start taking notes when it comes to making a rounded script that actually works.
    Chris Evans has made captain America in three movies a complete and intense character that is lost in time but still stands for something whatever the costs. It annoys me that EON could not deliver such a rounded character with three Craig movies for Daniel, simply because the man deserves it. 10/10
    I rewatched Moonraker with my son who wanted to rewatch it too.