Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Murdock wrote:
    2001 A Space Odyssey

This was an interesting sit. I was fully invested in the film...but I didn't really understand the film. I didn't dislike the movie, in fact I enjoyed it's special effects the most. I dunno. Just didn't do it for me. On a technical level it's very well made.

Watch it again with the notion that it's all a metaphor for life and evolution and it will make a little more sense.

IMO the Monolith is the screen that we're watching the film on. Which are revealed in the beginning of the film when the screen actually are black. So we see what they see in a way.
    It's such a complex film!
    Really liking what I am hearing on Captain America! Hoping to go see it sooner rather than later!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I like the Cap love too. No trailers have blown me away, but I liked the first one a lot and I thought it made it apparent that Chris Evans had more to offer as an actor than he had shown previously. It's great to hear the positive feedback, akin to what Thor 2 got on its release. I'll definitely be catching those two in the future.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thor 2 was alright but its nowhere near in the same league as CA:TWS. What also really needs to be understood is, TWS is a sequel to both CA:TFA and The Avengers and you guys are going to be really surprised.
  • watchin capin tomoz will fill you in. looking fwd to it.

watched Frozen with my daughter - it was very good. no cliches, modern and of course a great soundtrack.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All I've heard from 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' are great things. I can't wait to see it next Friday! I already have my blu-ray copy paid off.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    hannibal.jpg

The Silence Of The Lambs gave Hopkins long overdue acknowledgement of his talent with the Oscar, but I prefer this one. The scenes set in Florence, leading up to Pazzi's ill thought out attempt of capturing Lector for the reward, are filmed with a flair that The Silence Of The Lambs lacks.
    hannibal.jpg

The Silence Of The Lambs gave Hopkins long overdue acknowledgement of his talent with the Oscar, but I prefer this one. The scenes set in Florence, leading up to Pazzi's ill thought out attempt of capturing Lector for the reward, are filmed with a flair that The Silence Of The Lambs lacks.

I fully agree, for example the beautifull music and the tension between Hannibal & Pazzi during the opera scene if of rare beauty.

But then again it is Ridley Scott and his visuals are rarely bad.

This movie is for me the best of the three Hannibal movies with Hopkins, and the ending being different from the novel actually woos me more than the ending in the book by Harris.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,899
    SaintMark wrote:
    hannibal.jpg

I fully agree, for example the beautifull music and the tension between Hannibal & Pazzi during the opera scene if of rare beauty.

But then again it is Ridley Scott and his visuals are rarely bad.

This movie is for me the best of the three Hannibal movies with Hopkins, and the ending being different from the novel actually woos me more than the ending in the book by Harris.

I have not read Harris' book, but I echo your comment on the films, it is my favourite of the 3 Hopkins films. I do have a copy of Hannibal, somewhere, but I think it is the novelisation.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Day of the Jackal (1973)
    What a great thriller. I enjoyed every minute. It's a shame Edward Fox was wasted in Never Say Never Again. He was really brilliant in this film. And to my surprise Michael Lonsdale was in this as well. He's the good guy in this movie so It threw me off at first. The lack of a musical score in this movie really brought out the atmosphere of the film. I felt like I was in France.

10/10 Must see.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,817
    I rewatched The Wrath of Khan. Some months ago I didn't knew anything about Star Trek and now I'm constantly quoting Khan's lines like crazy.
    I like the second viewing more. It is a little slow paced at the beginning but then it's interesting, deep and powerful. Khan is indeed a great villain and the story of Kirk facing death, longevity and departure is very well developed. I also like the subtle (because the name isn't mentioned) intertextuality of A Tale of Two Cities (which I recognized) and Moby Dick (which I didn't).
    Now I dislike more and more Into Darkness, it's nothing but special effects compared with the original. How I hate remakes! I above all, NSNA! "For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    0013 wrote:
    Now I dislike more and more Into Darkness, it's nothing but special effects compared with the original. How I hate remakes! I above all, NSNA! "For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

Welcome to the club! Into Darkness is today's NSNA. ;)
    Star Trek Into Darkness isn't a remake of Wrath of Khan though, It has it's own story and happens to borrow "That particular scene."
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Explain me something please. Why does Uhura has so many screen time in Abrams' movies? In the few old ones I've seen she's not that important. I don't know if she is in the series.
    0013 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Explain me something please. Why does Uhura has so many screen time in Abrams' movies? In the few old ones I've seen she's not that important. I don't know if she is in the series.

Political Correctness. ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

That explains a lot...

And you're right, ID is not exactly a remake but I did feel it was not too original, like the previous one (but even that one could have taken something from a series, I don't know, I am just a novice).
    Murdock wrote:
    Star Trek Into Darkness isn't a remake of Wrath of Khan though, It has it's own story and happens to borrow "That particular scene."
    Sorry Murdock, IMO JJ will make great SW sequels, but he was never a fan of original Trek, and it shows.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,333
    0013 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

That explains a lot...

And you're right, ID is not exactly a remake but I did feel it was not too original, like the previous one (but even that one could have taken something from a series, I don't know, I am just a novice).

I agree. I enjoyed Into Darkness, but there were a lot of big flaws. The opening teaser was probably my favorite scene in the whole movie. It felt like an episode of classic Trek. I didn't mind CumberKhan. But the story was really hamfisted. But that's what happens when you have Damon Lindelof work on your movie. It's an okay flick but very flawed.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Sorry Murdock, IMO JJ will make great SW sequels, but he was never a fan of original Trek, and it shows.

Neither was Robert Wise or Nick Meyer when they took the Director's chair. Sorry but that is a really flimsy excuse.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

AND Zoe Saldana.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__FB9waRXJB0/TTGCBALJ6sI/AAAAAAAAEsM/rVesvfvukio/s1600/Zoe-Saldana-2.jpg

http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/zoe-saldana-calvin-klein-stills-08.jpg

http://us.cdn281.fansshare.com/photos/zoesaldana/zoe-saldana-hot-645846767.jpg
    Murdock wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

AND Zoe Saldana.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__FB9waRXJB0/TTGCBALJ6sI/AAAAAAAAEsM/rVesvfvukio/s1600/Zoe-Saldana-2.jpg

http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/zoe-saldana-calvin-klein-stills-08.jpg

http://us.cdn281.fansshare.com/photos/zoesaldana/zoe-saldana-hot-645846767.jpg

She is quite the fox. Would make a great Bond girl. ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    Neither was Robert Wise or Nick Meyer when they took the Director's chair. Sorry but that is a really flimsy excuse.
    Acknowledged. But they did have to deal with the original cast & creative consultants. JJ didn't.

chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Acknowledged. But they did have to deal with the original cast & creative consultants. JJ didn't.

I'm not saying JJ's films are the Best trek films, but I'd gladly take 2009/Into Darkness over that turd Star Trek Generations. ;)

Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I'm not saying JJ's films are the Best trek films, but I'd gladly take 2009/Into Darkness over that turd Star Trek Generations. ;)

Do you prefer them over First Contact?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Murdock wrote:
    Day of the Jackal (1973)
    What a great thriller. I enjoyed every minute. It's a shame Edward Fox was wasted in Never Say Never Again. He was really brilliant in this film. And to my surprise Michael Lonsdale was in this as well. He's the good guy in this movie so It threw me off at first. The lack of a musical score in this movie really brought out the atmosphere of the film. I felt like I was in France.

10/10 Must see.

One of my favourite ever thrillers of the 70's. Absolutely brilliant. I also watched it again last week. To think Roger Moore desperately wanted the lead role.
    0013 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Do you prefer them over First Contact?

No, here's how I would rank them.

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III Search for Spock
    Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
    Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek First Contact
    Star Trek 2009
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Star Trek V The Final Frontier
    Star Trek The Motion Picture
    Star Trek Nemesis
    Star Trek Insurrection
    and Last and Least Star Trek Killing a Generation aka Star Trek Generations. :))
    Interesting. I still have some pending. I want to discuss something else about WOK/ID but I better take it to the Star Trek thread.
    0013 wrote:
    Interesting. I still have some pending. I want to discuss something else about WOK/ID but I better take it to the Star Trek thread.

You should. It's been a bit empty lately and I love discussing all things Trek. :)
  • An old flick from 2000 called Loser.
    Craig: "What film are you watching?"
    Me: "North By Northwest"
    Craig: "Never seen it"
    Me: "One of my favs. It's classic Alfred Hitchcock"
    Craig: "Who?"
    Me: "......."

X_X

Humanity is doomed.
    Craig: "What film are you watching?"
    Me: "North By Northwest"
    Craig: "Never seen it"
    Me: "One of my favs. It's classic Alfred Hitchcock"
    Craig: "Who?"
    Me: "......."

X_X

Humanity is doomed.

@Willy, who is this Craig person, and when shall we burn him at the stake?