Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

It is all a matter of personal taste. We have different expectations and preferences, and that should be totally acceptable to everyone. Indeed it is acceptable for most here that we disagree about actors and films. Very few here are inclined to shoot the messenger thankfully. I am not a fan of repeating myself too often, but sometimes you just gotta speak the truth as you see it. And the truth for me is that yes, Pierce Brosnan(as Bond,mind you) and his films really ARE that bad. The low point of the series.

As for "bashing"-this word is of Norse origin and means to strike violently.
    The word "debate" is of French origin, and means exactly the same thing.

Very good.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    My current feeling of his films:

GE- v enjoyable but has its flaws. Have a personal fondness for it though as it was the first Bond film I saw.
    TND - meh
    TWINE - meh
    DAD - First half so-so, second half aaaaaahhhhH!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    You can say Brosnan or any actor is awful, bad, whatever, but there is a line that can be crossed (not citing you now, just in general) that it become ugly, namecalling, really nasty. I don't like to read that kind of stuff - it seems like senseless, mean garbage to me - about anybody, any film or actor.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    You can say Brosnan or any actor is awful, bad, whatever, but there is a line that can be crossed (not citing you now, just in general) that it become ugly, namecalling, really nasty. I don't like to read that kind of stuff - it seems like senseless, mean garbage to me - about anybody, any film or actor.

I agree - when a debate becomes a personal grudge match, it is tedious.
    I do get the feeling @Getafix has a personal grudge against Brosnan when it comes to Bond :p
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That's really all I meant. I don't like the overboard reactions that get mean. You - or anybody - can pick apart a performance or film completely and have plenty to say, with a broad vocabulary, without coming across like a jerk. It is quite possible to do that, yes.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I do get the feeling @Getafix has a personal grudge against Brosnan when it comes to Bond :p

Not at all - I think I've said on many occassions that I like Brosnan the man and have enjoyed some of his non Bond performances - far more so than anything else by Moore, Dalton or Craig. Just think he was an attrocious Bond.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My current feeling of his films:

GE- v enjoyable but has its flaws. Have a personal fondness for it though as it was the first Bond film I saw.
    TND - meh
    TWINE - meh
    DAD - First half so-so, second half aaaaaahhhhH!!!
    I agree with this analysis. I think that the most frustrating thing about the Brosnan era, for me personally, was that things just kept getting worse. By the time we got to DAD, all of the excitement and promise of his era that we felt in GE was long gone.
    For me at the time it was the opposite. I always looked forward to his films and enjoyed them. I was an impressionable teenager back then however. Now I'm a bit older though I realise most of his films aren't classics.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For me at the time it was the opposite. I always looked forward to his films and enjoyed them. I was an impressionable teenager back then however. Now I'm a bit older though I realise most of his films aren't classics.

For a lot of people, Brosnan delivers exactly what they want from a Bond film. To that end he definitely caters for a specific share of the market. Fair play to him.
    Hmm not sure I can agree with Lazenby giving a better performance than Brosnan.

The novelty value of OHMSS and the reassesment of it have been kind to Lazenby but lets be fair he just stands there and says lines, I don't think it's a coincidence that OHMSS is more of an ensemble piece.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    What makes OHMSS is the faith shown to the Fleming novel,a cracking good story.

Also a big cast surrounding Lazenby helps big time to take the focus from him so much.

Plus it was the first time Bond was on skis and in snow,and also the only time a Bond film was based at Xmas.
    I still can't really love OHMSS, I have tried with repeated viewings. I like it more than TB, YOLT and DAF but I just feel there are too many bits that drag and the whole Hilary Bray thing annoys me. Perhaps I will re-asses when I get around to reading the book in my novel marathon.

I would say TND is Brozzers best performance as Bond.
    I still can't really love OHMSS, I have tried with repeated viewings. I like it more than TB, YOLT and DAF but I just feel there are too many bits that drag and the whole Hilary Bray thing annoys me. Perhaps I will re-asses when I get around to reading the book in my novel marathon.

There a definitely parts of OHMSS that drag, but that can be said of a number of Bond movies - not lease some of the Brozzers.

I think TND is the exception, and most definitely the best of his four films. It limps over the finishing line, but up until the stealth boat it nips along quite nicely.
    Getafix wrote:

There a definitely parts of OHMSS that drag, but that can be said of a number of Bond movies - not lease some of the Brozzers.

I think TND is the exception, and most definitely the best of his four films. It limps over the finishing line, but up until the stealth boat it nips along quite nicely.

Yea, too much aimless gunfire at the end but all in all a pretty good entry.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote:
    I feel strongly that Brosnan was not just mediocre, but truly, absolutely, awful. To me, his tenure was a very bleak period in the history of Bond.

That's how I felt in 1979 about Moonraker.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I feel strongly that Brosnan was not just mediocre, but truly, absolutely, awful. To me, his tenure was a very bleak period in the history of Bond.

That's how I felt in 1979 about Moonraker.

I can totally understand that. And I think there would have been some justification for that feeling. Did your view change after FYEO only at all?
    I really dont get the idea that Brosnan was '' too old '' in DAD.Sure he was 48 but he still looked great in my opinion.Daniel Craig on the other hand has a very old looking face and is not ageing well ( he even looked a little too old to be a '' young '' agent in CR. )
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 99
    Craig looks older than Brosnan at times. Brosnan looked younger some years after DAD because he lost some weight, got a tan, dyed his hair, and let his hair grow out some.

pierce-brosnan-after-the-sunset-movie-premiere-arrivals-1HRaw3.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    WARNING: THE FOLLOWING RANT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR PRE-TEENS

I'm so !@!*&% tired of seeing so much @#!%&! negative @!#+&! about Pierce Brosnan. If it is so @!#$!& easy to play Bond, then why the #V@+ do they screen test every actor on Earth every #!@*+% time they need a new one?!?!?!
    And come the day Craig is replaced by the new 'better & perfect THIS time' actor, I'll gladly #!&^$! remind everyone how HE ALSO saved the #@^%%! franchise at one point.
    Thank you for your #@!&^$ attention in this matter!!!

:)) ;) Did I sound really pissed there? heh heh... I'm a great virtual actor. (*)
  • I don't understand how people think Craig is charismatic. You literally have to put the volume all the way up on the tv and put on subtitles to understand what the hell he's saying.
    I think Craig has screen presence as Bond, in a way that Brosnan did not. Whether he's 'charismatic' or not, I'm not sure. Not particularly, I'd say. But he is a decent Bond. Not my favourite, but pretty solid. Brosnan just struggled with the role - never really knowing what he wanted to do with it. He'd grown up on the Connery movies, but thought the audience wanted a Moore-style approach. In the end he fell between two stools and deliverd probably the least inspired Bond performances of the entire series.
    My mum thinks Daniel Craig is a Jeremy Kyle lookalike and doesn't really see what all the fuss is about regarding him. Personally, I've grown to like him more as Bond. I can see why Brosnan is the more successful actor outside of Bond though. He's excess able and has a fatherly quality about him.
    Jeremy Kyle? Don't see that at all.

Les Dawson, may be.
    Getafix wrote:
    Jeremy Kyle? Don't see that at all.

Thats what she said, not me.
    I don't understand how people think Craig is charismatic. You literally have to put the volume all the way up on the tv and put on subtitles to understand what the hell he's saying.

I agree.Hes effective as a killing machine but so is Jason Staham.The guy doesnt have the wit or charisma to play Bond.

Brosnan delivered the most profound Bond performance of Bond of them all . . . you
    know the one.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Brosnan started okay in GE
    He was more at ease and looked better in TND
    By TWINE his films lacked something...gravatas or whatever, I just felt "been there done that"
    DAD the nadir of his films. His films just progressively got worst.

Was it all his fault? He has some blame for the the most part, Babs and MGW were so bent on playing it safe. Maybe they just did not like Pierce Brosnan. After all Cubby (and the People) had selected him.

I think Babs is happier with Craig, her own hand picked Bond.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 14,831
    I always said that Brosnan was not so much bad as disappointing. His casting was one of the reasons of GE's success and he did contribute to making Bond popular again, but they never built on the success of GE and there was something lazy about the movies afterwards.

Brosnan was not bad, but he could have been better.
    Will never understand the common belief that GE was the highlight of Brosnans run as 007.TND and TWINE are easily better films.DAD is not as good but still a fun Bond film.