Common misconceptions about Bond movies

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not a common misconception, but a family member of mine once believed Roger Moore played Bond before Connery.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,813
    "There are James Bond books?!" is (sadly) an all too common misconception that I hear.
    Actually yeah it's a misconception that there aren't Bond books; messed up, but true.
    "Bond always resolves his problems with a gunshot."

That one I can't stomach.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    "Bond always resolves his problems with a gunshot."

That one I can't stomach.

They've clearly never seen the end of QoS then...
    :(
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    The schoolyard misconception that stuck with me the most was that they're going to remake all the old Bonds with the current actor (then Brosnan).

Seeig how Craig's video games have shaped up, they might not be far off.
  • A few years back I ran into someone who thought they were all 60s period pieces
  • Walecs wrote:
    - Skyfall is the last James Bond movie. There won't be any after that.

I find this so ridicolous, because the movie gives me quite the opposite feeling.

What?! Did they not see the end and notice the $1 billion in revenue? That kind of reception makes people reconsider even when they actually want to end a project.
    Oh, this is a BIG one that bugs the hell out of me:

"WHATTITW" is the theme song for OHMSS; also "WHATTITW" is called "OHMSS".
    Wow! I never thought it would get so popular a thread so quickly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The one that maybe bugs me the most is when journalist dimwits and TV hosts poke fun at Lazenby and Dalton for being utter failures, and insinuating that they were both sacked due to a public uproar against their terrible films and performances.
    One that comes to my mind, although not strictly a misconception about Bond movies: Blofeld is a bald man stroking a cat. Of course he wasn't in the novels and in the movie he is depicted as bald only from YOLT.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I didn't become a serious Bond fan until I was 37

It took that long for you to get rescued off that island?
    chrisisall wrote:
    I didn't become a serious Bond fan until I was 37

It took that long for you to get rescued off that island?

Yes, I became a real Bondhead long after most people have given him up. But it's not like I was unaware of Bond or anything. Quite the reverse, actually. I saw GF and LALD on the telly in the early- and mid-70s, saw MR, FYEO, GE and possibly TND in the theater when they came out, so I had some Bond history, it's just that Bond wasn't a chief concern of mine until the aforementioned age.
    I saw my first Bond at 11, but it would be at about 13 when I saw YOLT in a theatrical re-release that I became the hardened Bond fan I am today.
    Apart from the ones that have already been mentioned, that we never see exactly what happens to Bond's wife, that Trevelyan actually had a golden eye (along the lines of Goldfinger described earlier), and that Bond is always silly, as in YOLT and TSWLM.

I would have loved it to be true actually. So Goldeneye would have been Trevelyan instead of the satellite.

And to think that a golden eye is a duck.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ludovico wrote:
    For Fleming to name his house after it, he must have thought it was very best duck.
    QBranch wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    For Fleming to name his house after it, he must have thought it was very best duck.

Phuyuck!
    Some people actually think the books are based on the films. Not sure how common it is, but I have heard/read it a couple times.
    Here's a fan misconception:

John Glen was a workman/pedestrian director. Bollocks. He delivered five incredibly unique Bond films, among which are some of the most groundbreaking in the series: FYEO, which arguably was the most against-the-grain film in the series at the time of its' release; OP, which was able to have fun all the way through and yet stay serious and give a lot of tension; AVTAK, which must be the weirdest film in the series; TLD, a down to Earth, straight-from-Fleming adventure; and LTK, a gritty 80's revenge thriller, and I'd say the darkest Bond film ever. He relied on a couple gimmicks too often (the animal scare and death of Bond's main ally, both of which happen in all five Glen films), but the man knew how to shoot action and I highly doubt we'll get something as good as the ice chase or cargo net fight ever again. I also think Glen's blocking with dialogue was top notch.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

John Glen was a workman/pedestrian director. Bollocks. He delivered five incredibly unique Bond films, among which are some of the most groundbreaking in the series
    I don't quite share the same passion for Glen that you do but I have to agree with this. All of his films have a very distinct quality about them. As others have stated, he really understood Bond as a character. I think that it is probably understated how well he was able to direct two Bond actors that were the polar opposites of each other. You might be able to make a similar case for Campbell but I don't think that any two actors were as different as Moore and Dalton. And yet Glen understood their respective strengths and what each was trying to accomplish. He broke new ground while still giving audiences what they wanted and expected out of a Bond film.
    pachazo wrote:

John Glen was a workman/pedestrian director. Bollocks. He delivered five incredibly unique Bond films, among which are some of the most groundbreaking in the series
    I don't quite share the same passion for Glen that you do but I have to agree with this. All of his films have a very distinct quality about them. As others have stated, he really understood Bond as a character. I think that it is probably understated how well he was able to direct two Bond actors that were the polar opposites of each other. You might be able to make a similar case for Campbell but I don't think that any two actors were as different as Moore and Dalton. And yet Glen understood their respective strengths and what each was trying to accomplish. He broke new ground while still giving audiences what they wanted and expected out of a Bond film.

This is the point I forgot to raise. He got Moore's best performance out of him (OP) and then did Dalton's two films, and though their personal and professional relationship on set was tense, I think Dalton/Glen is the best Bond/director pairing ever. I just don't understand how the director who shot the tanker chase can be called "workman" by anyone. No two of Glen's Bond films are at all alike; OP and AVTAK are the two closest but even then there's a country mile separating their plots and plot structures.
    I just don't understand how the director who shot the tanker chase can be called "workman" by anyone. No two of Glen's Bond films are at all alike
    Totally agree here. Glen was the last of the great innovative Bond directors IMO. Those who've followed may have been more technically proficient, but not as organically grounded.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    edited March 2014 Posts: 132
    pachazo wrote:

This is the point I forgot to raise. He got Moore's best performance out of him (OP) and then did Dalton's two films, and though their personal and professional relationship on set was tense, I think Dalton/Glen is the best Bond/director pairing ever. I just don't understand how the director who shot the tanker chase can be called "workman" by anyone. No two of Glen's Bond films are at all alike; OP and AVTAK are the two closest but even then there's a country mile separating their plots and plot structures.
    John Glen is absolute magic in a hat, he really understood the camera. Agreed.
  • As far as scoring the movies, I never heard anyone complain about Glen's use of music in his films.
    As far as scoring the movies, I never heard anyone complain about Glen's use of music in his films.

Some complain about Conti and Kamen. I think they did well personally. But how about that Beach Boys cover in AVTAK?
    All right, I will repeat the most common misconception: "The pre-title sequences have nothing to do with the rest of the movie". in fact, those that don't have any relation to the main plot of the movie are in a very small minority (five, by my count, but, as I've seen before, YMMV), while those that do are a very strong majority.
  • Pre-title sequences are mostly OTT with action. The main physics-defying one is GE which may offend some folks. CR was refreshing when incorporating the gun barrel into the action. Most PTS's involve a flying object such as a planes. OHMSS, DAF, and CR are the main three which didn't require as much stunt work as others. Sorry for putting DAF sandwiched between two of the best films in the series.
    To paraquote Malcolm McDowall's character in Blue Thunder, "The Best Bond PTS is TLD. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a damn liar. "
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    To paraquote Malcolm McDowall's character in Blue Thunder, "The Best Bond PTS is TLD. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a damn liar. "
    ;)

Could well be. What an introduction he had.