Is Skyfall losing its gloss and appeal ?

Comments

Hmm not sure about SF really, never really grabbed me when I watched it and haven't really enjoyed it that much when I've watched it since.

I'm not really sure which is my favrouite DC film, might be time to give QOS another look!
  • Hmm not sure about SF really, never really grabbed me when I watched it and haven't really enjoyed it that much when I've watched it since.

I'm not really sure which is my favrouite DC film, might be time to give QOS another look!

Keep us posted if you do.
    I'm hearing the same here in the States and I can tell you the general opinions I've heard over and over, which is: CR is good, but QoS is a killer Bond flick, the perfect modern Bond film. And the comments about Skyfall is mainly about the reinvention of the Bond series, intro to new characters, and killing off M.

You have to realize when speaking of a films presence, and overall popularity, you have to put aside the Bond fan mentality, Book series, etc to gather an accurate account of the consensus of the viewers and general fans.

Skyfall is slowly falling in popularity.
    Even I'm not a fan of the new gritty/grunge Bond films, lacking wit and gadgets.
    BUT, I think this next Bond film will set the new tone after establishing the story in Skyfall. I bet the next Bond film will great change the lowering popularity of Skyfall with a fresh story. Then people will love to go back and see where it all started with M, Q, Moneypenny etc.

So, I say hold tight. No worries.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @jolearon, describe this 'grunge' feeling you speak of, I just saw you use the word to describe it in a few other threads. It is just a synonym for 'gritty,' as in you don't like the dirty realism to it?
    jolearon wrote:
    I'm hearing the same here in the States and I can tell you the general opinions I've heard over and over, which is: CR is good, but QoS is a killer Bond flick, the perfect modern Bond film.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I'm here in the States, too, and the consensus I tend to hear is CR>SF>QOS.

Hm, in the same scene, a LTK gadget is given to Bond as something valuable (the palm reader), and a line is said by Q to explain Bond should not expect a GE gadget (the exploding pen) ? Am I the only one to hear "Well, after LTK we went into GE but that was a mistake, let's continue from where LTK went, but watch out, this time the supporting character really will die :)" ? Or well, maybe, it's even more about a Dalton gadget vs a Brosnan gadget here...
    I am hearing it too. There is an undercurrent of smug superiority which seems to permeate the Craig films. Very odd as there is nothing very much superior about these films, IMHO of course.

SJK91 wrote:
    jolearon wrote:
    I'm hearing the same here in the States and I can tell you the general opinions I've heard over and over, which is: CR is good, but QoS is a killer Bond flick, the perfect modern Bond film.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I'm here in the States, too, and the consensus I tend to hear is CR>SF>QOS.

I suspect his study sample is, shall we say, limited.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Or maybe you're looking too much into a fun little quip meant to make the fans grin. Yeah, let's go with that...
    Well, there's only a few seconds between the LTK gadget reference (deemed as "part of the new Bond") and the GE gadget reference (deemed as "part of the old Bond"), and you really think this is reading too much in it ? Gee, where's the depth of the script of SF then if even those who like it think what happens in it is semi-random and should not be analyzed ? :)

Clearly, the makers of SF were declaring that Bond was going back to basics, but that is hardly the same thing as an attack on what has gone before. Why would Bond films slate other Bond films? Makes no sense whatsoever.
    Au contraire my learned friend. It most definitely does. Actor ego. Craig IMO honestly thinks his Bond is a "better" Bond than Connery's. I might applaud his ambition to top even the icon himself, but I am sorry, if Connery is to be seriously challenged as Bond someday, Craig is not the guy. Not even close.
    Craig rather should be singing the praises of Connery and those who pioneered this great series, not acting like 50 years after the fact, he can suddenly do it all so much better. Am I overreacting. No I don't think I am.
    The Craig film series has taken pains to distance itself from the great films of the classic era. (no opening gunbarrel, minimal barely traceable use of the JB music theme during the film, little jibes scattered here and there...).
    The new series only grudgingly pays lip service through cheesy homages (GF car suddenly brought back to life, along with the long lost JB music Theme, not coincidentally dusted off for trumpeting during this segment. God forbid it taint the "dramatic masterpiece" that surrounds this interlude).
    I engage the Craig films for what they are - an alternative take on the Bond character and its film presentation but I do think there is a subtext to these films which screams....at long last Bond is being done correctly. Yawn.
    What next, a ski chase which begins with Bond looking for one a second at a cello case before muttering "silly" and going for some real skis ? :)
    Whoa!! Copies of the B24 script have already leaked.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    timmer wrote:
    Craig IMO honestly thinks his Bond is a "better" Bond than Connery's.
    Craig rather should be singing the praises of Connery and those who pioneered this great series, not acting like 50 years after the fact, he can suddenly do it all so much better.
    I engage the Craig films for what they are - an alternative take on the Bond character and its film presentation but I do think there is a subtext to these films which screams, we do Bond correctly. Yawn.
    I've only heard Craig praise Connery myself. I don't think that he believes that he is better than Connery. He certainly has a swagger to him that others may interpret as arrogance, I suppose. As far as the current era goes, I think it is a reaction on the part of the producers to shift away from the failings (some perceived and some real) of the Brosnan era.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Actually I feel like Whedon is the modern day equivalent.
    To a degree.
    Whedon and Shakespeare.hmmmm....maybe something here.
    Anyway, Whedon IMO would make a superb Bond writer-director. He loves the series. He homaged it regularly in Buffy and Angel. The Whedon approach would not attempt a superior approach, it would be an oh so respectful, celebratory approach- both homaging and complementing the 20 film canon that preceded.
    He would expand on the legacy and revel in it.
    It would be wonderful thing, rivaling even his brilliant take on Marvel's The Avengers, and there would be Bond girls galore, the most imaginative villains, colourful creative plotting, smart dialogue...so good.

pachazo wrote:
    As far as the current era goes, I think it is a reaction on the part of the producers to shift away from the failings (some perceived and some real) of the Brosnan era.
    Yes, there is this, but I think there may be other more diabolical motives >:) afoot too.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    timmer wrote:
    Actor ego. Craig IMO honestly thinks his Bond is a "better" Bond than Connery's. I might applaud his ambition to top even the icon himself, but I am sorry, if Connery is to be seriously challenged as Bond someday, Craig is not the guy. Not even close.
    Craig rather should be singing the praises of Connery and those who pioneered this great series, not acting like 50 years after the fact, he can suddenly do it all so much better. Am I overreacting. No I don't think I am.

The fact you've questioned yourself suggests, yes, you are overreacting. What have you seen to make such a wild assumption? If anything I'd say Craig is overly sincere and reverent in his approach. He knows what has gone before, respects it, and attempts to deliver something fresh. If you don't like Craig, fine, but don't start hammering the guy based on a sum-total of no evidence.
    RC7 wrote:
    The fact you've questioned yourself suggests, yes, you are overreacting. What have you seen to make such a wild assumption? If anything I'd say Craig is overly sincere, and reverent in his approach. He knows what has gone before, respects it, and attempts to deliver something fresh. If you don't like Craig, fine, but don't start hammering the guy based on a sum-total of no evidence.
    There is plenty of evidence, much of it in this thread. Nothing wild.
    Craig may have a grudging respect for what came before but it does seem that he thinks he can do it better than Sean...more than just fresh,actually better. That's the vibe I pick up.
    And I do find it somewhat disconcerting...there seems to be a lack of humility....ie how many times have we seen in all sort of other walks of life, when one picks up the mantle from greatness that has preceded...that the successor dutifully sings the praises of the brilliance that preceded...and humbly states aspirations of only hoping to reasonably approximate or do homage to the legacy inherited..maybe add their own humble contributions, and hope to be worthy of the responsiblities now born by their shoulders etc.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 3,169
    I spent a lot of time a year ago criticizing SF. Not many here were open to my views.

So I have got to say: Love this thread
  • RC7RC7
    timmer wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    The fact you've questioned yourself suggests, yes, you are overreacting. What have you seen to make such a wild assumption? If anything I'd say Craig is overly sincere, and reverent in his approach. He knows what has gone before, respects it, and attempts to deliver something fresh. If you don't like Craig, fine, but don't start hammering the guy based on a sum-total of no evidence.
    There is plenty of evidence, much of it in this thread. Nothing wild.
    Craig may have a grudging respect for what came before but it does seem that he thinks he can do it better than Sean...more than just fresh,actually better. That's the vibe I pick up.
    And I do find it somewhat disconcerting...there seems to be a lack of humility....ie how many times have we seen in all sort of other walks of life, when one picks up the mantle from greatness that has preceded...that the successor dutifully sings the praises of the brilliance that preceded...and humbly states aspirations to only reasonably approximate or do homage to the legacy inherited.

With all due respect, it seems like you're talking out of your backside. If you can show me 'evidence', rather than 'vibes', on Craig being this apparent egotist, then I can at least consider your argument. As it stands most of it seems to be fabrication on your part. I've never seen any posturing from Craig and given his conversations with Mendes about their favourite Bond films of the past, I don't see where your vitriol is derived from.
    Oh please, criticism of the Craig era is not vitriol. "Talking out of backside" blah blah blah. The evidence is in the films themselves and sprinkled all over this thread in numerous posts.....but don't worry I am sure even Craig and Mendes can take the heat. The films are making piles of money.......this isn't like picking on the little guy.
    What would benefit Craig IMHO of course, and maybe coming from backside too, you never know,would be for Craig to do a Bond film film with Whedon or possibly Christopher Nolan or even Tarantino. --ie directors whose approach would be to do something worthy of the original Connery films. All three of these directors are serious fans of the original classics. They would be aspiring to do something that might compare favourably ( albeit with their own unique stamps all over the finished product) but not something superior. That is my opinion.
    In the Craig films, not so much CR, but the last two, I do see attempts to distance and separate from the original films.
    The two brazen GF homages, oil girl and resurrected DB5, are so OTT as to be almost insulting to the originals.
    What would be more desirable to us diehard fans of the classics would be films made in the spirit of the originals. I am not seeing that in the last two efforts, not in the broadstrokes anyway.
    Craig IMO is trying to do something very different. I don't have to like it and I don't, so there...harrumph. [-(
    That said, as I've said many times, I can enjoy the Craig films for what they are, darker alternative takes on Bond filmmaking, but they are not what I want.
    I do think the Craig films would be better if they actually had just gone all in, and didn't try to reference the previous films - ie lose the selfconscious, half-hearted attempts at token continuity and go whole hog on dark and drama Bond.
    They might come up with something very different and very good, in its own different way.
  • SJK91 wrote:
    jolearon wrote:

I can see where he's coming from. From what I've seen people over here don't revile QoS as the British seem to.
  • RC7RC7
    timmer wrote:
    Oh please, criticism of the Craig era is not vitriol. "Talking out of backside" blah blah blah. The evidence is in the films themselves and sprinkled all over this thread in numerous posts.....

Good job you're not writing a thesis on it. I think I'll agree to disagree, but thanks anyway.
    Skyfall was a pretty good film (although I confess, haven't seen it in a while, and still on the Brosnan era with the current Bondathon...), but I feel it was probably a step in the wrong direction. The reintroduction of Q, Moneypenny, the old feel of the films, even the new M seems like they are going back to having Bond as campy and ridiculous, which I hate the Bond films as. Financially, gritty realistic Bond was sucessful, and QOS may have been derided, but that's not important in the film world - Sterlings or Washingtons (depending which side of the Atlantic EON are on this week) are the important thing.

Bond is about real spy tactics, espionage, grit and realism, not stupid gadgets, ridiculous storylines and Roger Moore having sex with everything that moves.

So I'm split about Skyfall. Good film, but maybe it's the first step in taking the Bond films in a direction that they should never be taken again.
  • RC7RC7
    Financially, gritty realistic Bond was sucessful, and QOS may have been derided, but that's not important in the film world - Sterlings or Washingtons (depending which side of the Atlantic EON are on this week) are the important thing.

I'm not sure that's true is it? There are many larger than life Bond films that banked a packet at the B.O. Plus, why are you using QoS as an example, when SF banked almost twice its gross?

For some people, including a good deal of the general public, Bond is defined as, women, cars, gadgets, stunts, villains etc. Roger left an indelible mark, some people would rather forget it, but you can't ignore the fact he provided a definitive cinematic version of James Bond.
    RC7 wrote:
    You can't ignore the fact he provided a definitive cinematic version of James Bond.

Well.... yes I can.

Aside from Spy and to an extent FYEO, Moore's films are the most derided in the series, and there's no denying he was far too old. His acting abilities were summed up in one word - 'eyebrows'. In any case the 'definitive cinematic version of James Bond' was definitely Connery, no question.

RC7 wrote:
    There are many larger than life Bond films that banked a packet at the B.O.

Not really. LTK may have flopped, but that was due to poor marketing and releasing it against other action films with much bigger explosions, and plus the Bond films were at their least popular in the eighties. Moonraker was the highest grossing film of the series until 1995 because loads of Star Wars fans went to see it, and pretty much everyone hates Moonraker (except me, ironically).

RC7 wrote:
    Plus, why are you using QoS as an example, when SF banked almost twice its gross?

Because the producers couldn't tell the future. They didn't know when they were making Skyfall that Skyfall would become incredibly successful.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote:
    That said, as I've said many times, I can enjoy the Craig films for what they are, darker alternative takes on Bond filmmaking, but they are not what I want.

To me, the darkest of Craig's films have swung to the polar opposite of the lightest of Moore's films. And in that light, SF is Craig's MR.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    You can't ignore the fact he provided a definitive cinematic version of James Bond.

Well.... yes I can.

True, you can. But you'd only be kidding yourself. I said that Moore provided 'a' definitive cinematic version of James Bond, not 'the' definitive. Roger Moore's Bond films have done a tremendous amount to define and ultimately cement the legacy of the franchise.

RC7 wrote:
    There are many larger than life Bond films that banked a packet at the B.O.

Not really. LTK may have flopped, but that was due to poor marketing and releasing it against other action films with much bigger explosions, and plus the Bond films were at their least popular in the eighties. Moonraker was the highest grossing film of the series until 1995 because loads of Star Wars fans went to see it, and pretty much everyone hates Moonraker (except me, ironically).

Clutching at straws here. Even DAD trumped the more 'realistic' TWINE. All that aside, I hate the 'gritty realism' argument. No Bond films are, or should be, real. I'm suspicious of people who bring up this argument. What've you been doing for the last 40 years? Waiting for a faithful Fleming while basking in the light of contrarianism?

RC7 wrote:
    Plus, why are you using QoS as an example, when SF banked almost twice its gross?

Because the producers couldn't tell the future. They didn't know when they were making Skyfall that Skyfall would become incredibly successful.

I don't understand this comment. Are you implying they knew how QoS would do?

• jolearon wrote:
    I'm hearing the same here in the States and I can tell you the general opinions I've heard over and over, which is: CR is good, but QoS is a killer Bond flick, the perfect modern Bond film. And the comments about Skyfall is mainly about the reinvention of the Bond series, intro to new characters, and killing off M.

You have to realize when speaking of a films presence, and overall popularity, you have to put aside the Bond fan mentality, Book series, etc to gather an accurate account of the consensus of the viewers and general fans.

Even I'm not a fan of the new gritty/grunge Bond films, lacking wit and gadgets.
    BUT, I think this next Bond film will set the new tone after establishing the story in Skyfall. I bet the next Bond film will great change the lowering popularity of Skyfall with a fresh story. Then people will love to go back and see where it all started with M, Q, Moneypenny etc.

That's right, originality is what's lacking in many films. I've always said that when DC is not trying to pay homage or emulate Sean Connery and makes Bond his own as he did in CR and QoS, what we get is a quality film which attracts many fans along with those wanting to just watch James Bond. It not only adds variety and avoids the predictable formula but it also keeps the series surviving. If it wasn't for CR or QoS, SF may have never been made as DAD was simply a money-machine flick.
  • RC7RC7
    jolearon wrote:

That's right, originality is what's lacking in many films. I've always said that when DC is not trying to pay homage or emulate Sean Connery and makes Bond his own as he did in CR and QoS, what we get is a quality film which attracts many fans along with those wanting to just watch James Bond. It not only adds variety and avoids the predictable formula but it also keeps the series surviving. If it wasn't for CR or QoS, SF may have never been made as DAD was simply a money-machine flick.

Are you implying Craig is channeling Connery in SF?
  • He's trying to with forced funny lines. Also, he mentioned he wants the old irony back. DC is a skilled actor and doesn't need to copy any Bond before him to show his taent.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Glad to hear we're at least two to hear something more than just a random quip with the exploding pen line :)

Let's continue : Am I the only one to think Craig's performance in Layer Cake (who some said did a lot to get him on the producers' radar) somehow shows him handling the deadly/serious/irony/fun spectrum of the Bond role actually more than in any Bond movie ? In the Bond role, I sometimes feel he's having some weight on his shoulders. I think if he had been the first Bond, he would have been a bit more light... And with Skyfall, the weight is even more present, the funny lines seemed forced indeed, but in Layer Cake the same Craig would have delivered them well IMO. If Bond 24 continues more in that direction, Skyfall may be known later as the beginning of the Madame Tussaud period ?

Oh, btw, In Layer Cake, Bond and Q are looking at something sexier than some boats :)

PS : Note that, as a French, I'm not much influenced by the accents the English actors have in their various roles. So in Layer Cake, I'm probably not hearing the same as you hear. Accents are something foreigners never get. If an English viewer hear a French actor using an accent from Marseilles, for instance, I don't know what he'll think, but I'm sure it will not sound as easy-going as it immediately sounds to a French ear. I definitely hear Craig does not sound at all the same in Skyfall and in Layer Cake, but it has not a great impact on the performance for me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    timmer wrote:
    Oh please, criticism of the Craig era is not vitriol. "Talking out of backside" blah blah blah. The evidence is in the films themselves and sprinkled all over this thread in numerous posts.....but don't worry I am sure even Craig and Mendes can take the heat. The films are making piles of money.......this isn't like picking on the little guy.
    What would benefit Craig IMHO of course, and maybe coming from backside too, you never know,would be for Craig to do a Bond film film with Whedon or possibly Christopher Nolan or even Tarantino. --ie directors whose approach would be to do something worthy of the original Connery films. All three of these directors are serious fans of the original classics. They would be aspiring to do something that might compare favourably ( albeit with their own unique stamps all over the finished product) but not something superior. That is my opinion.
    In the Craig films, not so much CR, but the last two, I do see attempts to distance and separate from the original films.
    The two brazen GF homages, oil girl and resurrected DB5, are so OTT as to be almost insulting to the originals. What would be more desirable to us diehard fans of the classics would be films made in the spirit of the originals. I am not seeing that in the last two efforts,not in the broadstrokes anyway.
    Craig IMO is trying to do something very different. I don't have to like it and I don't, so there,...harrumph. [-(
    I do think the Craig films would be better if they actually did just go all in, and didn't try to reference the previous films - lose the seemingly selfconscious, half-hearted attempts at token continuity and go whole hog on dark and drama Bond.
    They might come up with something very different and very good, in its own different way.

What i don't understand is why you find it a bad thing Craig wants to up the ante a bit when it comes to Connery. We all want our sports stars to win the gold medal, so why shouldn't Craig try to surpass Connery? I mean, personally I don't believe that's what he's trying to do, I think he's trying to do his best to put every last effort he has in him to make his Bond work, but even if he did, what's wrong with it?

Mendes is a huge Bond fan, so why wouldn't he be up for the job? If you ask me the chances you'd get a good Bondfilm out of Tarantino would be nil. Yes, he's a huge fan. But he's also a huge fan of OTT films (and made some himself). Too many homages? Perhaps, but Tarantino would probably do as many as there are in DAD. I found that Mendes did them right: invisible to those who are new to the films, and nice nods for those who'd seen them all. They're all usefull in the films.

You say they want to throw all the old stuff out? why is M in a classic office then? I just don't buy it. Exploding pen is out but he still gets the handpalmreading gun? Perhaps then they're not saying LTK is better then GE, but perhaps they're saying 'out with the gadgets. nah, just kidding'.

But, you know, I like the more spythriller, darker feel to these movies. And to answer the question that started this thread: I think SF's wow-effect has worked off by now. I've always loved QoS, but I think SF is better. As is CR. I think all three are very good films.
  • timmer wrote:
    The two brazen GF homages, oil girl and resurrected DB5, are so OTT as to be almost insulting to the originals. What would be more desirable to us diehard fans of the classics would be films made in the spirit of the originals. I am not seeing that in the last two efforts,not in the broadstrokes anyway.
    Craig IMO is trying to do something very different. I don't have to like it and I don't, so there,...harrumph. [-(
    I do think the Craig films would be better if they actually did just go all in, and didn't try to reference the previous films - lose the seemingly selfconscious, half-hearted attempts at token continuity and go whole hog on dark and drama Bond.

This is the method that will serve the best interest of the producers, lead actor DC, potential new Bond fans, mpvie critics, and add a little variety for Bond fans especially now after 50 years. The credibility of Bond films can stand on its own two feet instead of relying on marketing and sponsorships too much. DC is a very talented actor as we all know, when he makes Bond his own he gets out of Connery's shadow and leads on instead of wasting time trying to emulate. It's important to use DC's drama talent to bring them into a story. Vesper, Camille, Quantum provided stories that one could get into and open doors for both fans and non-fans alike.

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    It's important to use DC's drama talent to bring them into a story.

I'm not sure we watched the same film, if I'm being quite honest. DC's performance in SF was as good as it gets. If you don't like his little quips, that's fair enough, most aren't delivered with the brevity and panache of a Moore or Connery. But to suggest his actual performance is anything less than brilliant completely baffles me. So, as for using his talent to open doors for both fans and non-fans alike, I'd say SF scores relatively highly. You don't gross $1bn at the B.O. without decent word of mouth.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote:
    You don't gross $1bn at the B.O. without decent word of mouth.

Transformers.