Creepiness in Bond Films

edited February 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Bond films give us a lot of stuff. Sadism, sex, deaths.
I wonder if there are any scenes or characters that just creep us out beyond reason.
Mine in no particular order:
Dario's smile
LeChiffe in general
Silva removing his teeth (I cannot bear to watch this scene, I always close my eyes when this part comes up)
Nic Nac watching Bond and Goodnight in bed (seeing that sweaty face just gets me)
Blofeld in drag

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,730
    Interesting idea for a thread there, @OHMSS69. Karl Stromberg getting his dirty mitts on Anya Amsova in TSWLM is surely another one, as is Colonel Rosa Klebb feeling up Tania in FRWL. "Creeptastic" Bond at its very best, I'd wager.

Also, the habit Pierce Brosnan as Bond has of kissing the corpses of beautiful women - that's just wrong in my book. Reminds one of Jimmy Saville a tad.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    -Rosa Klebb taunting Tanya in the office.
    -Rog saying "you really do have a...magnificent abdomen"

Can I include the torture scene in CR? It's not 'creepy' as such but it is uncomfortable and disturbing to watch. The sound editing in that is incredible, the swishing noise the rope makes when Le Chiffe twirls it round and the "smack" it makes when coming into contact with Bond's groin.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Can I include the torture scene in CR? It's not 'creepy' as such but it is uncomfortable and disturbing to watch. The sound editing in that is incredible, the swishing noise the rope makes when Le Chiffe twirls it round and the "smack" it makes when coming into contact with Bond's groin.

I thought that the "comedy" rather ruined that scene, though. That and the rope being so much more brutal than the carpet beater in the original novel. Maybe it was just me.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I thought that the "comedy" rather ruined that scene, though. That and the rope being so much more brutal than the carpet beater in the original novel. Maybe it was just me.

I've always winced EVERYTIME I see the rope hit Bond and the subsequent scream he makes...so no, it didn't ruin it for me. The bit when he realises he's completely expendable is just great.
    The sadism from the 60's & 70's era seemed more creepy.
    A sweaty, grinning Kananga drawing blood from Bond's forearm springs to mind.

I like Craig's grin on blowing up the terrorist in CR as well.
    And Ourumov executing Mishkin is one of the best scenes in GE for me.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I've always winced EVERYTIME I see the rope hit Bond and the subsequent scream he makes...so no, it didn't ruin it for me. The bit when he realises he's completely expendable is just great.

Well, it has been a good while since I watched CR so maybe it is just me, as I said.
    The creepiest moment in Bond is from TMWTGG, when Nic Nac is pretending to be a sculpture at Hai Fat's garden and wears a mask and then turns around towards Bond...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I talked about this a while ago @Dragonpol, so it's not just you. I also didn't think much of it.
    I want to add the scene in TSWLM when Stromberg feeds his secretary to the shark. His voice taunting her over the intercom as she swims for her life and that music that was playing. This is rather disturbing.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I talked about this a while ago @Dragonpol, so it's not just you. I also didn't think much of it.

Yes, I'm going to be writing a blog piece on the CR torture scene in all of its incarnations. I have a few problems with the scene from the Fleming original onwards, but I'll elaborate when I come to write up the paper I have planned on it. I think the "scratching my balls" scene was crude and unnecessary and shouldn't have been included at all in the film, in my view.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    for_your_eyes_only_bibiinbed.jpeg
    0.jpg
    chris-hansen-wildcasa.jpg
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Interesting idea for a thread there, @OHMSS69. Karl Stromberg getting his dirty mitts on Anya Amsova in TSWLM is surely another one, as is Colonel Rosa Klebb feeling up Tania in FRWL. "Creeptastic" Bond at its very best, I'd wager.

Also, the habit Pierce Brosnan as Bond has of kissing the corpses of beautiful women - that's just wrong in my book. Reminds one of Jimmy Saville a tad.

Necrophilia is a bit strange.

• OHMSS69 wrote:
    I want to add the scene in TSWLM when Stromberg feeds his secretary to the shark. His voice taunting her over the intercom as she swims for her life and that music that was playing. This is rather disturbing.

Amen to that. And the beautiful Mozart in the background only adds to the effect. At any rate, Stromberg may well be the creepiest figure in all of Bond cinema, and I say that in the highest possible regard!

Dragonpol wrote:

Necrophilia is a bit strange.

Yes, although Ian Fleming and Geoffrey Jenkins (he of Per Fine Ounce fame) did once joke on a drunken night out about making James Bond a necrophiliac in a Bond novel they shared ideas on.
  • The scene in MR where Jaws, wearing that huge, grinning carnivale costume, comes down the alley towards Manuela is quite creepy. As is all of the psychedelic lighting and disembodied, hypnotic Blofeld voice stuff in OHMSS. Berry's synth score is masterful to boot.
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Amen to that. And the beautiful Mozart in the background only adds to the effect. At any rate, Stromberg may well be the creepiest figure in all of Bond cinema, and I say that in the highest possible regard!

Yes, right down to his webbed hands!
  • Baron Samedi sitting on the train laughing before a burning skull appears at the end of LALD. To this day many wonder what he was doing there and what happened despite any theories that exist of it being metaphorical.
  • Baron Samedi sitting on the train laughing before a burning skull appears at the end of LALD. To this day many wonder what he was doing there and what happened despite any theories that exist of it being metaphorical.

Some people say than Baron Samedi is a God. And in spite of being James Bond, a mere mortal can't kill a God. This is one of the theories about this issue.

As a sidenote, I read that Richard Kiel stated that he actually got scared of himself as Jaws appearing from the shadows inside Anya's cabinet during the Première of TSWLM.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Kronsteen from FRWL in general.
    I suffer from ophidiophobia, so you can imagine how I felt about some scenes in LALD.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,483
    Baron Samedi sitting on the train laughing before a burning skull appears at the end of LALD. To this day many wonder what he was doing there and what happened despite any theories that exist of it being metaphorical.

I found Samedi, sitting up against a headstone, playing his cockamamie flute, and then intoning, "It's going to be a beeeeuuutiful day. A beeeeeutiful day!" creepier. Actually, most of the voodoo stuff in LALD was creepy.

Other creepiness:

Jill covered in gold paint.

The subterranean conclusion to DAF's PTS.

The music as Bond almost burns to death in the coffin in DAF.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited February 2014 Posts: 152
    Lots of dark creepy moments through the entire franchise but none stuck with me as much as the young figure skater Bibi Bluff (who was that actresses name once again? BiBi Besch I believe?) seducing Bond. Perhaps it would have been appropriate for Craig as he looks more youthful but not Moore who looked bloody ancient in FYEO.

also like when Brozza walks through that hallway of mirrors in DAD at Isla De Los Organos.
    Baron Samedi sitting on the train laughing before a burning skull appears at the end of LALD. To this day many wonder what he was doing there and what happened despite any theories that exist of it being metaphorical.

I found Samedi, sitting up against a headstone, playing his cockamamie flute, and then intoning, "It's going to be a beeeeuuutiful day. A beeeeeutiful day!" creepier. Actually, most of the voodoo stuff in LALD was creepy.

Other creepiness:

Jill covered in gold paint.

The subterranean conclusion to DAF's PTS.

The music as Bond almost burns to death in the coffin in DAF.

Yes, the music, like something out of Tales of the Unexpected. Must be something to do with Guy Hamilton directed Bond films?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    for_your_eyes_only_bibiinbed.jpeg
    0.jpg
    chris-hansen-wildcasa.jpg

:)) Cannot remember Chris Hansen in that film, but he is creepy all right.
    The scene with Grace Jones was way creepier, though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Lots of dark creepy moments through the entire franchise but none stuck with me as much as the young figure skater Bibi Bluff (who was that actresses name once again? BiBi Besch I believe?) seducing Bond. Perhaps it would have been appropriate for Craig as he looks more youthful but not Moore who looked bloody ancient in FYEO.

Lynn Holly Johnson.
  • Glad that Bond turned Bibi down. That just have been...icky.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,730
    Glad that Bond turned Bibi down. That just have been...icky.

A similar thing occurs just a year or so later in John Gardner's For Special Services (1982) where Bond words along with Cedar Leiter, daughter of Felix. Felix Leiter basically pimps his daughter For Bond's use at the end of the novel!

And yet, Lynn was just a year younger than Carole.
    And yet, Lynn was just a year younger than Carole.

Yes, she was presented as a lot younger, of course. Strange element of FYEO when you think about it.
    When I saw FYEO at the age of 14, I could not for the life of me understand why Bond turned down that babe. I get the point now, mind you. ;))