Creepiness in Bond Films

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote:
    Jaws hiding in Anya's closet. The moment she opens it and that loud train whistle blows. Biggest jump scare ever. In fact, TSWLM had several Jump scare moments.

That one comes straight out of the source novel too, of course.
    I wonder if anyone mentioned it before: Scaramanga caressing Andrea Anders with his golden gun was very, very creepy.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Ludovico wrote:
    I wonder if anyone mentioned it before: Scaramanga caressing Andrea Anders with his golden gun was very, very creepy.

How very canny! I was thinking exactly this when watching it this afternoon! It's as if Scaramanga gets some weird sexual gratification from doing it. I always thought that Scaramanga was an unusual villain...
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    but what about the scene in SFwhen Silva attempts to feel Bond up and when Bond says, "What makes you think this is my first time?"
    Silva jumps up, "Oh Mr. Bond."

That's not creepy, thats just funny.

Creepy in SF is when he's pointing the gun at M at the end in the chapel and grimacing.
    Ludovico wrote:

How very canny! I was thinking exactly this when watching it this afternoon! It's as if Scaramanga gets some weird sexual gratification from doing it. I always thought that Scaramanga was an unusual villain...

I watched it this afternoon too. And it struck me that the comedic moments really spoiled what could have been a good, if not great Bond movie. TMWTGG didn't need much to be far better than it was.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,640
    Scenes that could've been very scary :

-Jaws in Anyas dress and shoes , with a wig

-Drax smoking a cig in bed after gettin' it on with Chang

:D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Ludovico wrote:
    I watched it this afternoon too. And it struck me that the comedic moments really spoiled what could have been a good, if not great Bond movie. TMWTGG didn't need much to be far better than it was.

I like it for what it is, but I have to admit you are so totally correct here. It had all the elements and if treated just a little more seriously overall, it could have been Moore's best Bond IMO.
    Without the commanding presence of Christopher Lee & the strangeness of Nick Nack (the antimatter Oddjob), the film would be even worse than DAD I'm afraid.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Tracy wrote:
    Scenes that could've been very scary :

-Jaws in Anyas dress and shoes , with a wig

-Drax smoking a cig in bed after gettin' it on with Chang

:D

Jaws did dress in that Carnival costume and was ready getting ready to pay homage to Christopher Lee on Manuela before the revelers pulled him away.

That costume was rather creepy.

That second idea shouldn't be viewed by anyone.
    A lot of the Bond villains are just creepy as all get up.
    Klebb feeling up Tanya
    Goldfinger looking at the laser like it is fine wine or a fine woman
    Largo introducing Vargas and ". Vargas does not make love, Vargas tell us your passions"
    Dario giving a good 'honeymoon".
    Scaramanga moving his gun barrel along Andrea's arms, shoulders
    Zorin seducing May Day
    The mere thought of Odd Job pouring gold paint on Jills nude body...
    Stromberg's appreciation of Anya
    and so on...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    A lot of the Bond villains are just creepy as all get up.
    Klebb feeling up Tanya
    Goldfinger looking at the laser like it is fine wine or a fine woman
    Largo introducing Vargas and ". Vargas does not make love, Vargas tell us your passions"
    Scaramanga moving his gun barrel along Andrea's arms, shoulders
    Zorin seducing May Day
    The mere thought of Odd Job pouring gold paint on Jills nude body...
    Stromberg's appreciation of Anya
    and so on...

Blofeld's curiosity with women's clothing. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote:

EEEWwweue. =;
  • XXXXXX Banned
    chrisisall wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

EEEWwweue. =;
    Agreed but what are you gonna do it's Dario. :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed. They should have cut all of the martial arts sequences though, as I found myself cringing a lot through those scenes. Though Goodnight was as inept as ever, I do actually like some of the banter between Bond and her- "where are you Goodnight?" Mary- "somebody locked me in a boot!".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Feeding your piranhas with your employees is sort of creepy. Not the kind of neighbour i would visit.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed. They should have cut all of the martial arts sequences though, as I found myself cringing a lot through those scenes. Though Goodnight was as inept as ever, I do actually like some of the banter between Bond and her- "where are you Goodnight?" Mary- "somebody locked me in a boot!".

I thought the martial arts school sequence was tres bien until Hip's girls showed up. Bond kicking the bowing foe in the face as pretty as you please was Indy shooting the impressive sword wielder many years before Indiana Jones was even a gleam in Spielberg's eye.

Ludovico wrote:

Funny how sex is so often the vehicle for creepiness.

Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I thought the martial arts school sequence was tres bien until Hip's girls showed up. Bond kicking the bowing foe in the face as pretty as you please was Indy shooting the impressive sword wielder many years before Indiana Jones was even a gleam in Spielberg's eye.

I think it worked fine too, until the school girls show up. It could have been better introduced too.
    Ludovico wrote:

Funny how sex is so often the vehicle for creepiness.

There are many reasons for this, one of them being that it shows people's in their most vulnerable state, psychologically as well as physically.
    "pouring gold paint on Jills nude body"

She wore a bikini in the movie ;)
    Tracy wrote:
    "pouring gold paint on Jills nude body"

She wore a bikini in the movie ;)

Go back and look at her scenes in GF. when she is first shown she is in a black bikini. In Bond's suite she is wearing only his pajama tops and when Bond sees her body she is au natural.
    Odd Job...yeech
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Mr-Wint-and-Mr-Kidd.jpg

I'm surprised that only one other person mentioned Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. Honestly, these two gentlemen are one of the few things I actually liked about DAF.

They are sadistic but very collected and efficient. I love the way they always address each other by name and finish each other's sentences.

On a side note, I think a duo of their sort should make a return in a Craig film. I was reminded of them some time ago when I saw the Salamanca brothers in 'Breaking Bad':

Episode-2-Cousins-760.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    On a side note, I think a duo of their sort should make a return in a Craig film.
    I agree to this. I think they would be perfect. And to pass down family tradition cast Crispin Glover as Mister Wint and Woody Harrleson as Mister Kidd.
    Crispin_Glover_cropped_2010.jpg
    2012-harrleson_288x288.jpg
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the way that Bond looks at Elektra after he's just gunned her down has always bothered me....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,399
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I like it for what it is, but I have to admit you are so totally correct here. It had all the elements and if treated just a little more seriously overall, it could have been Moore's best Bond IMO.
    Without the commanding presence of Christopher Lee & the strangeness of Nick Nack (the antimatter Oddjob), the film would be even worse than DAD I'm afraid.

TMWTGG could/should have been handled a little more seriously than it was... first thing - scrap the whole Solex mcguffin, and make the plot squarely about Scaramanga being hired to assassinate the '00' agents, and Bond is next on his list..... the whole "no one knows what Scaramanga looks like" angle never ever reached it's full potential - and trying to figure out who he is could've been a slow burn throughout the whole film, with Bond constantly looking over his shoulder at all times... sadly, the threat of Bond being Scaramanga's target was thrown out a quarter of the way through the film - and along with it went the tension.... Lee never disappoints with a role, and I do very much like the duel between Bond and Scaramanga at the end - but everything up to that point could've been so much better - and it could've made TMWTGG one of the most intense and best Bond films ever made......

... just my opinion though..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Re the BIBI thing from a few pages ago:

The 'Bibi' case is often brought up as an example of an unhealthy age separation between LH Johnson and Roger Moore. Notice please that she was in her twenties, which is perfectly acceptable, even if Moore was about 30 years older, if one takes into consideration that a) they never slept together or even consentingly kissed; and b) that tons of Hollywood films had paired older men with younger women for decades before we suddenly decided to shy away from that. Furthermore, I never hear anyone complain about a 49 year old Brosnan sleeping with a 23 year old Rosamund Pike in DAD. She simply looks more mature than LH Johnson in FYEO, but that doesn't actually make her so.

Even if Kristatos treats Bibi as a child and even if it is implied that she's barely left school or outgrown her dolls because "uncle Ari still thinks [she's] a virgin", one is never actually told that she's a teenager.

But none of this matters since, again, nothing happened. Bibi may have grown a rapid infatuation with Bond but he certainly never went for it. She was off his radar the whole time and his incredibly transparent 'interrogation' session with her while shoe-skating on the ice can at best be regarded as a mildly abusive flirt--and only by those who are desperately looking for bad things.

LH Johnson sported some very youthful looks. A twenty-something, she could still easily have passed for a 16 year old. So in that sense, maybe her casting was a bit clumsy. Jane Seymour was 22 when she did LALD but she actually looked that age. I guess that's why fewer people complain about Bond practically forcing a virgin to yield--the cards demanded it!--than they do about Bond breathing the same oxygen as a girl he neither sleeps with nor willingly kisses.

Lastly, we should be careful with over-analysing Bond's sexuality in the films. He treats women to some horizontal pleasures even if he's in a relationship with Tracy. He appeases women he barely knew an hour earlier in the sensitive spots. And he almost never returns to the same sex partner, which leads to serious questions of morality. The point is: there is no point. When it comes to some of the more hedonistic or debaucherous elements in the films, James Bond substitutes for the fantasy version of ourselves. We move from scene to scene, wishing it were us in that tuxedo, in that bed or in that car. He sleeps with Pat first, Fiona second and Domino third, all within a mere few days or even hours. And then there's the French secret service girl and Paula, whom he may or may not have bedded too. But we never stop to think about that. By the time he reaches Fiona in her bathtub, we're not concerned with breaking Pat's heart. And it's a curious thing. We wanted to be in that sauna with Pat, but we realistically never got there of course. So it's not entirely a betrayal of her feelings when we now crave a place in Fiona's bath or bed. And since she's pretty villainous--and at this point dead--we're not a tad surprised when Bond has underwater sex with Domino. Part of the Bond magic is that we shouldn't shiver when Bond kills several people, when he demolishes Q's toys or when his man-thing commits sins of Biblical proportions.

In fact, I think it's too bad that some of the more recent Bond films have been willing to make Bond more sexually restrained, no doubt to appease the PC community.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    I think the whole Bibi thing mainly comes from her looking and behaving like a child. The matter was reinforced when Moore offered to buy her an ice cream.
    Some actresses look and can act older than they are. When DAD came out I was shocked to discover Pike's age. I thought she was roughly 10 years older than she actually was. Daniela Bianchi was 21 in FRWL and she looked and acted significantly more mature.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Lastly, we should be careful with over-analysing Bond's sexuality in the films. He treats women to some horizontal pleasures even if he's in a relationship with Tracy. He appeases women he barely knew an hour earlier in the sensitive spots. And he almost never returns to the same sex partner, which leads to serious questions of morality. The point is: there is no point. When it comes to some of the more hedonistic or debaucherous elements in the films, James Bond substitutes for the fantasy version of ourselves. We move from scene to scene, wishing it were us in that tuxedo, in that bed or in that car. He sleeps with Pat first, Fiona second and Domino third, all within a mere few days or even hours. And then there's the French secret service girl and Paula, whom he may or may not have bedded too. But we never stop to think about that. By the time he reaches Fiona in her bathtub, we're not concerned with breaking Pat's heart. And it's a curious thing. We wanted to be in that sauna with Pat, but we realistically never got there of course. So it's not entirely a betrayal of her feelings when we now crave a place in Fiona's bath or bed. And since she's pretty villainous--and at this point dead--we're not a tad surprised when Bond has underwater sex with Domino. Part of the Bond magic is that we shouldn't shiver when Bond kills several people, when he demolishes Q's toys or when his man-thing commits sins of Biblical proportions.

In fact, I think it's too bad that some of the more recent Bond films have been willing to make Bond more sexually restrained, no doubt to appease the PC community.

I love this post. It's like a checkpoint list of why Bond is so friggin awesome.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @doubleoego, thank you for the compliment. :)
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I used to find the "frozen" corpses in OP disturbing. You know, the ones that Gobinda leaves in the cellar next to Bond. (prior to the safari/hunting scene)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I used to find the "frozen" corpses in OP disturbing. You know, the ones that Gobinda leaves in the cellar next to Bond. (prior to the safari/hunting scene)

Yes, they are rather. I concur. Plenty of dark moments in Octopussy too.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 3,279
    DAF wins this hands down.

John Barry's brilliant but eerie early 70's score, and a general Hammer Horror feel to a rather odd, and rather unsettling film at times make this the most unique film in the franchise, probably the most bizarre, and easily the creepiest.

Too many creepy moments to mention - crazy zooms to Mr. Kidd's glasses peeking through the curtains on the plane, Bond being trapped in a coffin, Mr Slumber's glasses, the rather dark moment dead bodies get discovered - Shady Tree, the old woman in Amsterdam, Plenty in the pool....Blofeld in drag, Bond trapped in the underground tube, the shiny elevator that Bond steps into when leaving Blofeld's lair, Bambi & Thumper, Kidd and Wint's general behaviour.

Even the locations add to the unsettling atmosphere. Seedy 70's Las Vegas neon lights, open deserts, the dark streets of Amsterdam.