Creepiness in Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Jaws hiding in Anya's closet. The moment she opens it and that loud train whistle blows. Biggest jump scare ever. In fact, TSWLM had several Jump scare moments.
  • How about all those pigeon and cat jumpers which John Glen used but couldn't save most his movies with?
    Murdock wrote:
    Jaws hiding in Anya's closet. The moment she opens it and that loud train whistle blows. Biggest jump scare ever. In fact, TSWLM had several Jump scare moments.

Richard Kiel said he actually jump scared at himself in the Première. =)) On a sidenote, the toddler that watches the Lotus getting out of the water and points to it is one of Kiel's children, am I wrong?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In thinking about it, the Klebb older-woman-superiour potential molestation scene in FRWL was probably the height of creepy. With Jaws' neck-biting right behind.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,009
    There was also that Japanese operative on YOLT (and on the credits of OHMSS) who shows his fencing (kenjutsu) skills and then goes directly to the camera screaming like crazy. As my karate sensei told me, the iai is important when prectising martial arts, but I think but that guy went a bit over the top!!!

"IiiiiAAAAAAAAIIII, you're gonna taste my tachi and the fourth wall will not protect you from it, gaijin! Cubby Heika Banzai, now you shall suffer my wrath!"

I automatically thought of Chuck Farrell, the Admiral from GoldenEye, whom Xenia kills with her thighs; it truly is one of the creepiest scenes in the series when Bond opens the closet and his lifeless body falls out!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    00Beast wrote:
    I automatically thought of Chuck Farrell, the Admiral from GoldenEye, whom Xenia kills with her thighs; it truly is one of the creepiest scenes in the series when Bond opens the closet and his lifeless body falls out!

Excuse what may well be my morbid sense of humour but isn't it also rather comical, too. Look at the gleeful expression on his face, for instance. At least he died happy!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Excuse what may well be my morbid sense of humour but isn't it also rather comical, too. Look at the gleeful expression on his face, for instance. At least he died happy!

Hahaha, that he did, yes!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,809
    00Beast wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Hahaha, that he did, yes!

To me the scene is funny first and then (maybe) creepy second. I think it's got to do with how the scene was filmed - the close up of his frozen-in-time "ecstatic" face helps in its way. But then I'm rather bloody-minded and find strange things funny that others probably don't. What can I say, I'm a Stewart Lee fan.
    No mention on the Gorilla transformation from Diamonds are Forever ?

Maybe once, or even twice, many years back, it did perturb a little, although feel some level of embarrassment now with that admission

Not really creepy to me, but that entire carnival sequence is an absolute riot. One of the very funniest in the funniest Bond film ever made.

There was also that Japanese operative on YOLT (and on the credits of OHMSS) who shows his fencing (kenjutsu) skills and then goes directly to the camera screaming like crazy. As my karate sensei told me, the iai is important when prectising martial arts, I think but that guy went a bit over the top!!!

"IiiiiAAAAAAAAIIII, you're gonna taste my tachi and the fourth wall will not protect you from it, gaijin! Cubby Heika Banzai, now you shall suffer my wrath!"

Yeah, that's a good one. And, of course, it was used in OHMSS' credits.

00Beast wrote:

That entire S & M sequence is grotesque. I don't think it belongs in a Bond film. They pushed beyond the Benign Bizarre there, and to ill effect.

There was also that Japanese operative on YOLT (and on the credits of OHMSS) who shows his fencing (kenjutsu) skills and then goes directly to the camera screaming like crazy. As my karate sensei told me, the iai is important when prectising martial arts, I think but that guy went a bit over the top!!!

Yeah, that's a good one. And, of course, it was used in OHMSS' credits.

Yes, and YOLT seemed to break the fourth wall on a number of occasions (like the fruit seeds going everywhere), along with George's line in OHMSS. Must be Sixties thing?!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Ludovico wrote:
    The scene in MR where Jaws, wearing that huge, grinning carnivale costume, comes down the alley towards Manuela is quite creepy. As is all of the psychedelic lighting and disembodied, hypnotic Blofeld voice stuff in OHMSS. Berry's synth score is masterful to boot.

As a child, this scared me so much I wouldn't watch the rest of the movie. I had caught MR on TV in the middle of the movie or so, I didn't know it was a James Bond. I stopped watching. And pretty much all of the villain's actions in FRWL have something creepy in them. Again, as a child, just watching the advert on TV made me avoid the movie out of sheer terror. Rosa Klebb just scared me too much!

Make that three for the alley scene. Still creeps me out.

LOL
    I thought MR was such a bad film that I have refused to watch that acid trip ever again. Fortunately I do not remember that carnivale scene and Jaws in the costume. LOL

The pyramid scenes in TSWLM were pretty creepy the way Jaws would appear in shadow and that music. Just another one of the fine examples of Jaws was so well utilized in TSWLM but turned into a cartoon character by MR
    00Beast wrote:

That entire S & M sequence is grotesque. I don't think it belongs in a Bond film. They pushed beyond the Benign Bizarre there, and to ill effect.

Yes, I kind of feel the same way. And I'm not sure Xenia Onatopp is really suitable for a James Bond film period. For me, her simulated sex scenes are something of a joke as is her whole character in a film that tries to be serious (apart from Boris "I AM INVINCIBLE!" Grishenko, of course).

Perhaps I'm alone in feeling this way about Xenia?
    00Beast wrote:

I never liked it much either. For me it was a poor man's version of the murder of Derval in TB. Except not even remote;y as good. Talking about creepy: Derval's death in Tb certainly is. You open the door and see your doppleganger (a sign of ill omen in folklore) and then voilà, doom strikes you.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Yes, I kind of feel the same way. And I'm not sure Xenia Onatopp is really suitable for a James Bond film period. For me, her simulated sex scenes are something of a joke as is her whole character in a film that tries to be serious (apart from Boris "I AM INVINCIBLE!" Grishenko, of course).

I always thought she was a caricature.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Me too. Full of stereotypes. She's rather cartoonish in her evil - a sort of twisted version of Cruella de Ville, if you will. I have a few criticisms to make on GoldenEye and its chartcterisation on my blog in time. I hope to bring something new to the table!
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Me too. Full of stereotypes. She's rather cartoonish in her evil - a sort of twisted version of Cruella de Ville, if you will. I have a few criticisms to make on GoldenEye and its chartcterisation on my blog in time. I hope to bring something new to the table!

The movie lost its seriousness due to Xenia's antics among the false stunts. Around that time in 1995, it's amazing how Xenia's character could have been in a PG-13 Bond film because it was during the time that parents forced studios to use more campiness in their movies. Batman Forever was victim to this, and LTK was thought to be too dark simply because it had a creepy villain, a real sadist who destroyed those who crossed him. He gave a man's heart to his woman, pressured Milton Crest to death.

Dragonpol wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

No, you're not alone. I love GE, but I don't care for Xenia at all. Her death, however, was the best in all of Bond, IMO.

Ludovico wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I never liked it much either. For me it was a poor man's version of the murder of Derval in TB. Except not even remote;y as good. Talking about creepy: Derval's death in Tb certainly is. You open the door and see your doppleganger (a sign of ill omen in folklore) and then voilà, doom strikes you.

Right. And I thought Guy Doleman as Count Lippe was suitably menacing in that sequence.

after a recent watch of Octopussy, have to include when Bond hides in the store room after listening in on the discussion between Orlov and Kamal Khan and stumbles into some deceased bodies on meat hooks. Maybe give new watchers an unpleasant surprise if it's their first viewing - even now, after hundreds of viewings, it still catches you out and provides a certain level of uneasiness

Or when Bond spends the night with Miss Madga and Gobinda appears out of nowhere and knocks Bond out from behind, that's worth a mention also. But above all else, the most creepy scene has to be Bond swinging from trees with a Tarzan yell - but we'll let it rest
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One of my favorite tracks in the entire history of James Bond has to be 'Skyfall' in SF, obviously, and I've always gotten a very creepy, ominous, eerie vibe from it as it plays while Bond and M drive through Scotland in silence to their inevitable fates. Always gives me chills.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    One of my favorite tracks in the entire history of James Bond has to be 'Skyfall' in SF, obviously, and I've always gotten a very creepy, ominous, eerie vibe from it as it plays while Bond and M drive through Scotland in silence to their inevitable fates. Always gives me chills.

The scenes of Bond and M in the Scottish Highlands was exceptional. Eerie, like you said, given their oncoming fates. I don't think SF the song was playing during that scene though. It was like an ancient flute busting tunes. This was probably the best, imo, of the minimalist approach by Ding Ding Thomas Newman.
    Something that I've always found creepy is in Moonraker when Bond waits for Holly in her hotel room and grabs her hand while she's about to flip the light switch on, shouting "Haaaaa!"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @dramaticscenesofQOS, no, the track is called 'Skyfall.' I'm not talking about Adele's theme by the same name, but that track with the 'flute busting tunes' is called 'Skyfall.'
  • It's funny how just the sighing and solemn onlooking towards the Skyfall lodge was all that was needed to express how heavy their thoughts were. Plus, to top it off "A storm's coming" to symbolize their oncoming battle. Wish there was a meal scene with Bond and his adoptive parents with some AVTAK references from the quiche scene.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    It's funny how just the sighing and solemn onlooking towards the Skyfall lodge was all that was needed to express how heavy their thoughts were. Plus, to top it off "A storm's coming" to symbolize their oncoming battle. Wish there was a meal scene with Bond and his adoptive parents with some AVTAK references from the quiche scene.
    This. would of been amazing, an earthquake maybe? With some of them ancient flute-busting tunes like Wine with Stacy, A view to kill, beautiful in a way, but Grace Jones no, she's creepy.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,280
    Lol, yes flute-busting the Wine With Stacey theme with an earthquake rattle! Then have a cowbell song to symbolize Christopher Walken or a blimp pass over Skyfall.

Maybe Kinkade or Bond could play the flute while M eats...But Bond forgot that Kinkade sold his old flute so he just improvises with an air flute while Kinkade gracefully whistles Wine with Stacey.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Lol, yes flute-busting the Wine With Stacey theme with an earthquake rattle! Then have a cowbell song to symbolize Christopher Walken or a blimp pass over Skyfall.

Love it!