Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,459
    I Am Legend 2 no longer happen
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/30883/goldsman-on-defunct-i-am-legend-sequel
    By Garth Franklin Wednesday February 12th 2014 11:55PM
    Goldsman On Defunct "I Am Legend" Sequel

Goldsman Talks Defunct "I Am Legend" Sequel Following the nearly $600 million global box-office success of "I Am Legend" in 2007, Warner Bros. Pictures was reportedly said to be exploring options that would take the story further - a sequel, perhaps even a prequel to the film adaptation of the famed Richard Matheson novella.

It never eventuated. Akiva Goldsman, who wrote and produced the film, has since moved on to numerous other projects including the about to release romantic fantasy "Winter's Tale". Doing promotion for the film, Goldsman tells io9 that it seems the studio has given up on any chance of a 'Legend' follow-up as well:

"[There was] never a movie. I mean, we wrote a prequel [and] a sequel. We had a really interesting prequel, which was the first outbreak of the virus, during a Thanksgiving Day parade, which was awesome.

We did a really interesting prequel that [took place] later. Which was right after the first... really right when the population of humans became pretty decimated. And it was this sort of trek to Washington. Which included a dark seeker elephant that had broken out of the zoo.

Then we did a sequel, that started with Neville again - and you realized that he was cloned. We've tried every which way. In fact if you're available you could be in the next movie. It will never happen but we really enjoyed trying to make it happen. There were scripts. We really tried."

Pratt, McBride Up For "Knight Rider" Reboot?
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/30892/pratt-mcbride-up-for-knight-rider-reboot
    By Garth Franklin Thursday February 13th 2014 08:40PM

Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation," "Guardians of the Galaxy") and Danny McBride ("Tropic Thunder," "This Is The End") are rumored to be in talks to star in a cinematic reboot of the "Knight Rider" franchise for The Weinstein Company according to Schmoes Know.

Brad Copeland was hired back in june to pen the script for what's said to be a whole new story that won't fit within the continuity of the original 1980s series or the short-lived 2008 follow-up.

The show followed Michael Knight (David Hasselhoff), a crime fighter who, with the help of his advanced artificially intelligent car K.I.T.T., sets out to clean up the streets.

It isn't indicated what roles Pratt and McBride are playing, though they sound tailor made for Knight and K.I.T.T. respectively - especially if the reboot takes a more comedic action tone ala "21 Jump Street".

No director is presently attached.
    A few new trailers. I'm looking forward to seeing the Brosnan one.

Ok I admit it, I´m a fan of Tom Hardy.

• boldfinger wrote:
    Ok I admit it, I´m a fan of Tom Hardy.

No shame in that. One of the best actors working imo, can't wait to see how he does as Mad Max.
  • Well, it won't be in a in cinema near 99.99% of the people here, but it's only a few links so... I'm doing it exceptionally because they're a bit all in a row and it's quite rare. Here are three French comedies very soon to be released, all of them aiming for a big success, all with very popular comedians here, and well all these trailers are quite successful for a French viewer. But as all is in the dialog you may be easily bored !

They all are released after the unlikely return this week of France's most popular comedy trio of the end of the 80's, making a "Part 2" movie 20 years later. Alas this time the trailer is a failure with too much simple slapstick (the movie itself is far, far better, and doing well).

I´m totally surprised, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be cr**, but the trailer looks really good!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not a big comic guy, so I didn't expect to see so much comedy in it, but my buddy and I were anticipating the trailer for the past few days. It really impressed me, so roll on August.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That just might be the funniest sci-fi movie since Spaceballs! I'm so in.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm not sure if this one's going to work. So far, it's just odd.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having spent the last 4 years sat on a shelf, Halle Berry's Frankie & Alice is being released. A trailer has been released:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/first-trailer-for-frankie-alice-with-halle-berry-is-four-years-too-late/
  • M_Balje wrote:
    I Am Legend 2 no longer happen
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/30883/goldsman-on-defunct-i-am-legend-sequel
    By Garth Franklin Wednesday February 12th 2014 11:55PM
    Goldsman On Defunct "I Am Legend" Sequel

Goldsman Talks Defunct "I Am Legend" Sequel Following the nearly $600 million global box-office success of "I Am Legend" in 2007, Warner Bros. Pictures was reportedly said to be exploring options that would take the story further - a sequel, perhaps even a prequel to the film adaptation of the famed Richard Matheson novella.

It never eventuated. Akiva Goldsman, who wrote and produced the film, has since moved on to numerous other projects including the about to release romantic fantasy "Winter's Tale". Doing promotion for the film, Goldsman tells io9 that it seems the studio has given up on any chance of a 'Legend' follow-up as well:

"[There was] never a movie. I mean, we wrote a prequel [and] a sequel. We had a really interesting prequel, which was the first outbreak of the virus, during a Thanksgiving Day parade, which was awesome.

We did a really interesting prequel that [took place] later. Which was right after the first... really right when the population of humans became pretty decimated. And it was this sort of trek to Washington. Which included a dark seeker elephant that had broken out of the zoo.

Then we did a sequel, that started with Neville again - and you realized that he was cloned. We've tried every which way. In fact if you're available you could be in the next movie. It will never happen but we really enjoyed trying to make it happen. There were scripts. We really tried."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/30892/pratt-mcbride-up-for-knight-rider-reboot
    By Garth Franklin Thursday February 13th 2014 08:40PM

Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation," "Guardians of the Galaxy") and Danny McBride ("Tropic Thunder," "This Is The End") are rumored to be in talks to star in a cinematic reboot of the "Knight Rider" franchise for The Weinstein Company according to Schmoes Know.

Brad Copeland was hired back in june to pen the script for what's said to be a whole new story that won't fit within the continuity of the original 1980s series or the short-lived 2008 follow-up.

The show followed Michael Knight (David Hasselhoff), a crime fighter who, with the help of his advanced artificially intelligent car K.I.T.T., sets out to clean up the streets.

It isn't indicated what roles Pratt and McBride are playing, though they sound tailor made for Knight and K.I.T.T. respectively - especially if the reboot takes a more comedic action tone ala "21 Jump Street".

No director is presently attached.

rebooting Naked Gun and Knight Rider, bad boys 3, a new Robocop and Mad Max, scripts that all Mirror each other, and,and, and....
    I so much hope Hollywood gets hit by a meteor so the American film industry can reboot itself!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The new Fantastic Four have been cast, and Johnny Storm is black, but his sister Susan is not. Intriguing. Wonder what the story is. Is one of them adopted? Will she be invisible the whole film or use shoeshine polish a la Al Jolson? Or has he been scorched by too many flame-ons?
  • The new Fantastic Four have been cast, and Johnny Storm is black, but his sister Susan is not. Intriguing. Wonder what the story is. Is one of them adopted? Will she be invisible the whole film or use shoeshine polish a la Al Jolson? Or has he been scorched by too many flame-ons?

not very funny. please read my brother:

http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-16/why-marvel-and-warner-bros-need-take-big-superhero-diversity-step-now

having said that, going against the canon is wrong.

and having said that, where is the Black Panther movie? And will the Rock play the best green lantern?

edited February 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Yes? I have now read the whole thing, including the separate piece about Johnny Storm and it made no sense whatsoever. In case you think I am moaning about a black actor in the part, no that was not the point. I am just curious about how they will explain their family ties as that is an important part of their dynamic in the comics. I guess they can be half-siblings. I have five of those myself, and nothing but (grew up with two of them, me being the oldest). I have no problem with that, as long as they reference it. A kid playing Reed Richards seems to me a bigger worry.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Just when I had gotten tired of the first trailer and thought this is going to be just another mayhem flic.
    Well, it probably is, but it looks absolutely amazing.

Matt_Helm wrote:
    rebooting Naked Gun and Knight Rider, bad boys 3, a new Robocop and Mad Max, scripts that all Mirror each other, and,and, and....
    I so much hope Hollywood gets hit by a meteor so the American film industry can reboot itself!
    I dare say that list of yours got confused somewhere. Naked Gun and Robocop, ok. And I won´t even mention Knight Rider. But Bad Boys had two very successful films, and for those who enjoyed the first two films a third one should be just fine. And Mad Max has the writer/director of the first two films, as well as one of the wolrd´s finest actors for the lead. This could be the best film of the last 20 years.
    In any case, that list doesn´t show any connection to scripts all mirroring each other.

Karl Urban says he is in talks with the producers about a Dredd sequel after all due to the success the film had in the home video market. :D
    And Scarlett Johansson may get her first solo Black Widow film. Hope both of these come to pass.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    From the trailer Godzilla does indeed look impressive and hopefully it will be all that disappointing pile tosh that was Pacific Rim wasn't.
    I want to be hopefull about Gozilla I reallly really do
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Me too, summer just lets me down and has for many years, yes there is some gold in there every now and then but as someone who's had enough of comic book films ( I will probably bother with X-men though), this time of year is getting less and less appealing.

I'm hoping with the pedigree involved with this it's going to be a true summer blockbuster but like you I'm not convinced although that trailer does look promising.

As for next summers crammed roster, I can't but be more excited about the last quarter of the year, the hopefully re invigoration of the Star Wars franchise and the return of a certain spy, that gets my juices pumping rather than a raft of comic book films and sequels.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 908
    boldfinger wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    I dare say that list of yours got confused somewhere. Naked Gun and Robocop, ok. And I won´t even mention Knight Rider. But Bad Boys had two very successful films, and for those who enjoyed the first two films a third one should be just fine. And Mad Max has the writer/director of the first two films, as well as one of the wolrd´s finest actors for the lead. This could be the best film of the last 20 years.
    In any case, that list doesn´t show any connection to scripts all mirroring each other.

"Bad Boys had two very successful films"
    So had Transformers (even three).Does it mean I have to look forward for them?

"Mad Max has the writer/director of the first two films ..."
    So had Prometheus. Still it was pseudo intelligent crap.

"In any case, that list doesn´t show any connection to scripts all mirroring each other."
    Just take about any blockbuster of the last year. There even have essays (and books as well) been written about how they all adhere to the same formula.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another alternate poster for Grand Piano has been released. This one is a mix of both previous posters:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3280188/gorgeous-alternate-poster-for-the-must-see-grand-piano-exclusive/
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,459
    Shrek 5

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/31027/a-fifth-shrek-film-on-the-way
    By Garth Franklin Tuesday February 25th 2014 11:04AM
    A Fifth "Shrek" Film On The Way?

DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg has suggested that a fifth film in the "Shrek" franchise may be on the way.

In an interview scheduled to air Tuesday on the Fox Business Network, Katzenberg says: "We like to let them have a little bit of time to rest, but I think you can be confident that we’ll have another chapter in the Shrek series. We’re not finished, and more importantly, neither is he."

The previous four films grossed $2.9 billion worldwide. The comments come hot on the heels of an announcement on Monday that

DreamWorks Animation and Merlin Entertainments are teaming to launch the theme-park attraction in London to open in the Summer of 2015.

Source: Variety

Before release of Shrek 4 and Puss In Boots be released, there already be case of Shrek 5, but that whas canceld. I expect earlier Dreamworks/Fox doing anouchment of Madagascar 4.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Don´t know what to say really.

Rumor of the Wachowskis writing on new Matrix films:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115467
    Sounds good to me. Bring it on, and in 3D please.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yeah, I could roll with that. It would be interesting to see which direction they take it. If it's not a prequel trilogy, I'd be happy with Keanu returning. He's still got it physically, if Man of Tai Chi is anything to go by.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would be ready for it. I don't care if it would work or not, the thought of a new 'Matrix' trilogy has me incredibly excited.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Paddington shows an eye. Looks rather like a film for little kids, but may also work for a date.

edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    A new Zorro film is in the making, based on the 2005 novel by Isabel Allende. That book was absolutely marvelous, so if they capture the spirit of the novel and get the cast right, we are in for one amazing movie. Forget about those idiotic Campbell/Banderas films.
    with Hopkins as the original Zorro HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh that was funny
    A new Zorro film is in the making, based on the 2005 novel by Isabel Allende. That book was absolutely marvelous, so if they capture the spirit of the novel and get the cast right, we are in for one amazing movie. Forget about those idiotic Campbell/Banderas films.
    Was Allende´s novel "dark and gritty", as I read the new film is going to be? I notice that the endless use of the term "gritty" fits well in with the current Zombie fashion, since the term itself has been used to death and still seems to live.