The Most Hated Bond Endings

Comments

• Ludovico wrote:
    They just remade the ending of GF. And others. "Oh, let's stay hidden." "But where is 007?" I hope for Bond 24 they do something more original. Something taken from the novels, maybe? The ending of LALD, TB, among others, would fit the Craig era perfectly.

It's just them being adrift on debris that makes me dislike it more than the others
    SaintMark wrote:
    The best thing about the ending of LTK is that it is actually the last of TD as 007, pretty good ending for a poor copy of the superiour Miami Vice series that did everything better than LTK ever did.
    OK, first off, James Crockett is nothing compared to James Bond. Secondly, Timothy Dalton was trying to be Fleming Bond. He read all of Ian Fleming's books before playing him. Finally, let's compare a winking fish and 007...

Actually Crockett wasa much better realised character than Daltons so called serious James Bond.
    His 1st effort felt like it was written for the likes of Moore or Brosnan. The 2nd movie was just poor. And the winking fish at the end did crown it for being a sh&te adventure. Dalton & Craig seem both do a lot of movies in which they seem to go rogue, I am not sure what book Ian Flemings hero went rogue, or so often,

The ending of TND does look a wee bit strange.

I like all of Moore's endings, they made you leave the theater with a good feeling.

DAD & TWINE had endings with way too much innuendo, should have taken a page on how to do it classy like Moore did.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,691
    SaintMark wrote:
    Actually Crockett wasa much better realised character than Daltons so called serious James Bond.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wow, that was a good one- thanks! :)
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wow, that was a good one- thanks! :)

You are welcome, after all Crockett had 5 seasons and Dalton 240 minutes. And Miami Vice was an actual succes that changed the face of television and filming. I prefer Crockett, Tubbs & Elvis when it comes to drugs stories every day of the week and on sunday twice.

Crockett & MacGyver had the same thing happen- they grew their hair long, and their last seasons started to suck... :-O
  • SaintMark wrote:
    The best thing about the ending of LTK is that it is actually the last of TD as 007, pretty good ending for a poor copy of the superiour Miami Vice series that did everything better than LTK ever did.

Gee, what an original critique.

8-|
    The end of LTK always brings a pleasant smile to my face, actually.
    I'd rather sit through 2 hours of the winking fish than watch DAD any time soon. ;-)
  • TWINE seems the worst ever - despite all the greatness that went before it

Pity really, as following the best pre titles sequence in the entire series, Brosnan giving his best Bond performance, and lots to get involved in, it degenerates badly towards the very end, culminating in the awful encounter between Bond and Jones in Istanbul

Die Enough Day as the next release, and a Brosnan swansong, was nearly quite as atrocious with the Berry / helicopter / diamonds, but nothing really tops the ending of the last Bond release of the 20th century, for truly nauseating viewing

Never liked the Dr No ending, or Thunderball (Connery had just about reached ridiculous stage by this time), or even Octopussy. The awful winking fish from License to Kill was embarrassing after the hard-edged reality of Dalton that had come before it also. Will include Goldeneye while we're at it, as Bond and Simonova are surprised by Wade and his soldiers

It's a real pity when you've had some James Bond actors who have done a really good job for the most part (Connery 65, Dalton 89, Brosnan 95 as mentioned) and made Fleming proud, only to be spoiled at the very end by stupid, implausible, ridiculous, embarrassing, unnecessary (delete as applicable) endings, that you wish could be erased each time you view, but what's done is done
    I can still watch DAD as long as I mute & look away from the final Moneypenny scene...
    I have to agree with most by dumping on Brosnan's final two films ending. That Christmas comment was juvenile and reminds us of the lowest points of the Moore era.
    Also I have to take issue with TB. After all that has happened in a Bond film one of the formuliac elements is to see Bond having a romantic moment with his leading lady at the end. In DN, he is adrift with Honey; FRWL he is in Venice with Tatiana; GF we see him wrapped up in a parachute with Pussy Galore. But TB denies us this romantic interlude. He and Domino get pulled up to a plane from the raft. Sure he may have her in his arms as they fly through the air but come on! That was so un degnified. It just started to show how the producers and pubic was getting overly obscessed with gadgets.
    SaintMark wrote:

8-|

Which has always been my critique, even as I walked out of the door of the cinema at opening night of LTK with my best friend. We both were rather dissapointed by the movie we just saw. TD just had the charm of a death fish and his 2nd movie was a remake of several epsiodes of Miami Vice, who at that time was rather the leading tv show together with Dynasty.

The winking eye at the end was in hindsight the best moment of LTK.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The winking of the fish in LTK is not a problem for me. It happens in the final two seconds of the film: some fourth wall breaking is allowed IMO. Lest we forget, LALD similarly ended on a strange note.
  • I can't comprehend anyone giving insults to Timothy Dalton as James Bond. Fair enough, License to Kill was a poor release, but Dalton gives the best performance of James Bond since - well, two years earlier in the previous entry. Pure Fleming qualities not seen since Connery between 62-63

See Craig and Quantum of Solace. Lousy movie - great Bond

• OHMSS69 wrote:
    I have to agree with most by dumping on Brosnan's final two films ending. That Christmas comment was juvenile and reminds us of the lowest points of the Moore era.
    Also I have to take issue with TB. After all that has happened in a Bond film one of the formuliac elements is to see Bond having a romantic moment with his leading lady at the end. In DN, he is adrift with Honey; FRWL he is in Venice with Tatiana; GF we see him wrapped up in a parachute with Pussy Galore. But TB denies us this romantic interlude. He and Domino get pulled up to a plane from the raft. Sure he may have her in his arms as they fly through the air but come on! That was so un degnified. It just started to show how the producers and pubic was getting overly obscessed with gadgets.

I don't consider this gadgetry so much as outrageousness. And I love the outrageousness of the Bond films.

• SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

8-|

Which has always been my critique, even as I walked out of the door of the cinema at opening night of LTK with my best friend. We both were rather dissapointed by the movie we just saw. TD just had the charm of a death fish and his 2nd movie was a remake of several epsiodes of Miami Vice, who at that time was rather the leading tv show together with Dynasty.

The winking eye at the end was in hindsight the best moment of LTK.

AFAIC, Bond influenced Miami Vice before the vice versa. And given that Bond films always tap into existing cultural trends, I have no problem whatsoever with a Bond film that dealt with the Latin American drug trade in the late 80s. Bottom line, it is a quality film and Bondian in spades.

• DarthDimi wrote:
    The winking of the fish in LTK is not a problem for me. It happens in the final two seconds of the film: some fourth wall breaking is allowed IMO. Lest we forget, LALD similarly ended on a strange note.

Very good point.

• FRWL is defiantly bad but one that I never liked is GE. It just ends to abruptly. Kinda like TB.

I used to think that Bond being with a woman was essential to a Bond ending. But Daniel Craig has had the best endings in the series. All 3 made me want to stand up and cheer. The ending to Skyfall (Bond finally meeting Moneypenny, walking into M's classic office) reduced to me to a giddy fanboy. Oh what a moment!
  • I could even put my opinion in the controversial opinion thread, but here goes: save for maybe Dr. No, I don't really like any of the Connery movie endings!

But my least favorite must be TMWTGG, most notably for that AWFUL little song at the end, and the fact that Moore totally implies that he killed Nick-Nack-- which I would have found awesome-- only to show him safe and sound in that cage.

'Oh James, you didn't.....?'
    'Oh yes I bloody well did!'

To me, that sounds like he tossed his midget ass overboard
  • I could even put my opinion in the controversial opinion thread, but here goes: save for maybe Dr. No, I don't really like any of the Connery movie endings!

But my least favorite must be TMWTGG, most notably for that AWFUL little song at the end, and the fact that Moore totally implies that he killed Nick-Nack-- which I would have found awesome-- only to show him safe and sound in that cage.

One of the many reasons I have TMWTGG dead last on my list. However, I do really love the end of LALD with Baron Samedi.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 2,341
    FRWL is defiantly bad but one that I never liked is GE. It just ends to abruptly. Kinda like TB.

I used to think that Bond being with a woman was essential to a Bond ending. But Daniel Craig has had the best endings in the series. All 3 made me want to stand up and cheer. The ending to Skyfall (Bond finally meeting Moneypenny, walking into M's classic office) reduced to me to a giddy fanboy. Oh what a moment!

You are spot on. I loved all Craig's endings. CR was just so friggin cool (matter of fact that whole movie emits coolness) QoS with him having resolved the issue with Vespers lover and he walks into the snow...having closed this chapter on his life. Great. (movie was kinda so so but the ending rocked)
    And of course SF....

That ending makes me LOL SO hard!!!
    FRWL: The back-projection is indeed bad, but that comes with the territory of films from the period.

OHMSS: I can understand why many find the resurgence of the Bond theme jarring, but to me it's an intentional slap to the viewer, a way of saying "back to business" after the necessity of Tracys's death. Challenging the viewer's grief can sometimes intensify it.

LALD: I also love the Baron's reappearance. It tips the entire film into the realm of the supernatural and surreal, which LALD had been flirting with beforehand. Since it comes at the end, it doesn't wreck the film.

LTK: I don't have much of a problem with the winking fish, since it comes at the every end of the film, when all the drama and conflict has been resolved and wink at the viewer might arrive as relief.

The one ending that I think is genuinely bad: FYEO's. Having Bond interact with an actor playing a real Prime Minister comes off as both campy and awkward, and the gags are too broad. (There's a reason why Fleming didn't describe Bond's meeting with Eisenhower.) Given how good the rest of the film is, it's puzzling how FYEO begins and ends so unsubtly.
    The worst ending has to be DAD with Halle "I'm soo gooood" Berry and the Carry On style innuendo's.
  • The robot dog shower scene monstrosity in AVTAK. "Oh James"??? Oh No.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TWINE has the worst ending in the series.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It seems that no films are safe on this thread save for Craig's.
    ReneMathis wrote:
    The robot dog shower scene monstrosity in AVTAK. "Oh James"??? Oh No.
    I forgot how bad that was...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    chrisisall wrote:
    ReneMathis wrote:
    The robot dog shower scene monstrosity in AVTAK. "Oh James"??? Oh No.
    I forgot how bad that was...

That and DAD must surely have the worst endings.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that FRWL has more of an annoying ending than a bad one. I can forgive the rear projection because it was the 60's but I think that they really missed an opportunity to use Fleming's cliffhanger ending.

TB and YOLT are also annoying. How many times are we going end with Bond and the girl on a raft? It really started to lose it's charm by this point.

TMWTGG is too strange for words and not in a good way.

AVTAK has always bothered me. They could have come up with a classier send off for Sir Rog. Not that I'd be complaining about being in a shower with Tanya Roberts. Perhaps this was to make up for the May Day scene.

The winking fish in LTK doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is Bond getting his job back without so much as a slap on the wrist. The impact of him going rogue is made irrelevant if there are no consequences for him. I wish the film could have ended with Bond and Pam riding off together in the desert sun.

TWINE has a very disappointing ending. DAD is terrible but so is most of the movie so what can one expect at that point?
This discussion has been closed.