The Most Hated Bond Endings

Comments

• Given that she was PM from '79-'90 and perforce was repeatedly reelected, there must have been a lot of "financially well off" people in Great Britain, which would be a credit to her governance and a direct indictment of Leftist governments in which everybody is flat broke...except the government.

As for FYEO's ending, I didn't consider it mockery at all, rather a bit of harmless, playful parody.

Margaret Thatcher was a nasty, snobby, evil woman and there are plenty of reasons people hate her. Hillsborough, her pro Apartheid views, etc. And then there are all the communities she destroyed in the north when she closed down mines.

Coincidentally, I found this on Youtube today. The always brilliant Ricky Tomlinson slagging her off.

Outside of Churchill, Thatcher was the UK's most brilliant politician of the 20th century. She elevated the economy, revived the military's pride, and along with Reagan and Pope John Paul, was instrumental in helping to topple the USSR and global communism...at least for a few decades. Now that the country has repudiated her policies, it is sliding into the abyss. Hardly a coincidence, that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thread is getting derailed people, Keep it on the subject please.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @Khan It's all well and good saying that from over in America but you didn't feel the effect she had on the UK. If you were a miner in one of the villages in Yorkshire she destroyed, or were a scouser who had family killed in the Hillsborough disaster, then I doubt you'd feel the same way.

Oh and in terms of the economy, the housing and benefits crisis were products of her era.
  • Sorry to interject, but I think we can all agree that political debate is best kept off this thread and site in general.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    And I AM good on a bike...
    Sorry to interject, but I think we can all agree that political debate is best kept off this thread and site in general.
    Yes, I could SO easily wax political here...
    But I won't.
    Suffice it to say that lampooning Presidents or PM's are what movies & TV do. I personally don't think it was necessary at all in FYEO, but I also recognise that it was funny to many (including me).
    I feel QOS had the most disappointing ending.
    005 wrote:
    I feel QOS had the most disappointing ending.

*Swan voice from The Warriors*
    How do you figure?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Has anyone brought up YOLT's ending yet? I think it's a tie with FRWL's ending with worst special effects shots.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Murdock wrote:
    Has anyone brought up YOLT's ending yet? I think it's a tie with FRWL's ending with worst special effects shots.

Agreed. It looked like something from Jason and the Argonauts...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TWINE it is, but none of the endings from TLD through DAD were anything to cheer about.
    I for one loved the ending of TB. Upbeat, Bond triumphant and Domino literally swept away.
  • @Khan It's all well and good saying that from over in America but you didn't feel the effect she had on the UK.[/b] If you were a miner in one of the villages in Yorkshire she destroyed, or were a scouser who had family killed in the Hillsborough disaster, then I doubt you'd feel the same way.

Oh and in terms of the economy, the housing and benefits crisis were products of her era.

The people of the UK felt the effect, and continuously reelected her. I'll take the word of voters again and again over one guy on the Internet--who may not even have lived during Thatcher's reign--every day of the week. And for the record, I am old enough to remember the Thatcher years quite well indeed.

Now enough of the politics. If delticminer, Saint Mark and livingroyale hadn't taken us down this path, I would never have chimed in on this subject.

• Ludovico wrote:
    I for one loved the ending of TB. Upbeat, Bond triumphant and Domino literally swept away.

Same here. This ending perfect emblematized the brazen outrageousness of cinematic Bond.

AVTAK is a fairly poor ending, particulary for Rog's swansong.

DAD is really poor not even a cheesy pun just some terrible dialouge between Bond and Jinx.

TWINE is one of the worst last scene gags in the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Forgot about AVTAK. You can call Bond an old hog in that scene, but what about Q? He was the real pervert. Quite disturbing.
    Ludovico wrote:

Same here. This ending perfect emblematized the brazen outrageousness of cinematic Bond.
    And it has no unnecessary dialogues.
    Forgot about AVTAK. You can call Bond an old hog in that scene, but what about Q? He was the real pervert. Quite disturbing.

To be honest, I can't think of a better ending for the movie. It's not like it was out of tone.
    The people of the UK felt the effect, and continuously reelected her. I'll take the word of voters again and again over one guy on the Internet--who may not even have lived during Thatcher's reign--every day of the week. And for the record, I am old enough to remember the Thatcher years quite well indeed.

I notice you haven't actually addressed any of my criticisms of her. Like I said, pro Apartheid, covered up what really happened at Hillsborough, destroyed entire communities, caused thousands to lose jobs, etc.

I did live during Thatchers era but no I can't remember it very well, I was only a kid. But it did affect my family. My uncle (born in Glasgow but was living in Edinburgh), was a miner who lost his job. Same with my future father in law (a miner in south wales) and thousands of others. Wasn't just miners either. Steelworks and other industry suffered. She took away the jobs of hard working people and destroyed entire communities in the process.
  • The people of the UK felt the effect, and continuously reelected her. I'll take the word of voters again and again over one guy on the Internet--who may not even have lived during Thatcher's reign--every day of the week. And for the record, I am old enough to remember the Thatcher years quite well indeed.

I notice you haven't actually addressed any of my criticisms of her. Like I said, pro Apartheid, covered up what really happened at Hillsborough, destroyed entire communities, caused thousands to lose jobs, etc.

I did live during Thatchers era but no I can't remember it very well, I was only a kid. But it did affect my family. My uncle (born in Glasgow but was living in Edinburgh), was a miner who lost his job. Same with my future father in law (a miner in south wales) and thousands of others. Wasn't just miners either. Steelworks and other industry suffered. She took away the jobs of hard working people and destroyed entire communities in the process.

You just won't shut up about it, will you? So be it. It is clear that your views of Thatcher are colored by your family members' life during her rule, and as such, you can hardly be objective. And the notion that Thatcher "took away the jobs of hard working people and destroyed entire communities" is simplistic and laughable. The fact that certain jobs disappeared hardly proves that she took them away. Jobs vanish all the time and new jobs appear under all governments. That is life. But on the whole, the UK's economy improved in Thatcher's time and that criterion, not the fate of certain sectors of the economy, is what matters.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Come on the pair of you ! This is now so far of track it's stupid let it drop please.
    I suggest someone starts a thread on Thatcher. And we can stay on topic here.
    Yes, if I wanted an intelligent and thought provoking discussion about politics....

...I'd be on Twitter!

;-)
    The fact that certain jobs disappeared hardly proves that she took them away. Jobs vanish all the time and new jobs appear under all governments. That is life. But on the whole, the UK's economy improved in Thatcher's time and that criterion, not the fate of certain sectors of the economy, is what matters.

Well these places might not have mattered to you but they mattered to the people that lived there. Just like the 96 people who died at Hillsborough (who were also blamed for the whole thing when it was really the police's fault, there was a cover up aided by Thatcher), might not have mattered to you because hey, on the whole, the economy got better. She was pro Apartheid? Doesn't matter because that's not what matters, on the whole she improved the economy.

And yeah, she had nothing to do with people losing their jobs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25549596
    You just won't shut up about it, will you?

And neither will you so we're both as bad as each other in that respect. But you're right, we've dragged this out for too long. I've said my piece so I'll shut up about it now.
    AVTAK is a fairly poor ending, particulary for Rog's swansong.

I agree it's poor, especially compared to the endings of other Moore films such as LALD and TSWLM. I think it's probably Moore's worst ending, which is a shame given that it's his last one.
    Here's an ending I don't like: NSNA. I actually enjoy the film, I think it has some interesting ideas and it's a better send off for Connery than DAF imo, but I think the ending with Connery winking at the camera is awful.
    I like fish winking way better.

You just won't shut up about it, will you? So be it. It is clear that your views of Thatcher are colored by your family members' life during her rule, and as such, you can hardly be objective. And the notion that Thatcher "took away the jobs of hard working people and destroyed entire communities" is simplistic and laughable. The fact that certain jobs disappeared hardly proves that she took them away. Jobs vanish all the time and new jobs appear under all governments. That is life. But on the whole, the UK's economy improved in Thatcher's time and that criterion, not the fate of certain sectors of the economy, is what matters.

The self righteousness of your comments coupled with your almost complete ignorance should make you a worthy member of the Fox family. So if Sean Hannity should ever drown in his hate for everybody who doesn't stand on the right side of Barry Goldwater and Curtis LeMay don't hesitate to apply for the job. You obviously got what it takes!
    Leaders basically betray the people, and serve the corporate trust. Okay? Now drop it.

*puts on FYEO*
    Here's an ending I don't like: NSNA. I actually enjoy the film, I think it has some interesting ideas and it's a better send off for Connery than DAF imo, but I think the ending with Connery winking at the camera is awful.

I hated the movie, I thought the end looked like a threat to EON (and the viewers).
  • Matt_Helm wrote:

The self righteousness of your comments coupled with your almost complete ignorance should make you a worthy member of the Fox family. So if Sean Hannity should ever drown in his hate for everybody who doesn't stand on the right side of Barry Goldwater and Curtis LeMay don't hesitate to apply for the job. You obviously got what it takes!

Heh heh. Leftists such as yourself should know a thing or two about hate, because it's really all you know. It's just that your hatred is directed toward whites, Christians, men and the West in general, so that makes it okay. In fact, it is okay. Hatred is a normal, and in many cases, productive human emotion, so I don't hold that against Leftists. What I do hold against them is their utterly obtuse lack of self-awareness, and their shrieking double standards which are so flagrant as to constitute a species of projection.

• The fact that certain jobs disappeared hardly proves that she took them away. Jobs vanish all the time and new jobs appear under all governments. That is life. But on the whole, the UK's economy improved in Thatcher's time and that criterion, not the fate of certain sectors of the economy, is what matters.

Well these places might not have mattered to you but they mattered to the people that lived there. Just like the 96 people who died at Hillsborough (who were also blamed for the whole thing when it was really the police's fault, there was a cover up aided by Thatcher), might not have mattered to you because hey, on the whole, the economy got better. She was pro Apartheid? Doesn't matter because that's not what matters, on the whole she improved the economy.

And yeah, she had nothing to do with people losing their jobs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25549596
    You just won't shut up about it, will you?

And neither will you so we're both as bad as each other in that respect. But you're right, we've dragged this out for too long. I've said my piece so I'll shut up about it now.
    %
This discussion has been closed.