Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    What a brilliant episode! It isn't often where one can go on such a journey with a media, especially not with a TV-series. But this episode really delivered on all levels, i laughed myself to tears one moment just to shed a tear the next.
    I do not want this to end!

Best moment:
    "The Womans" brief cameo and where Sherlock states "Oh get out of my head" whilist David Arnolds cue "The Woman" played.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    What a fantastic episode all around. Hilarious, clever, well-written, moving. Everyone, especially Benedict and Martin are in top form, and
    seeing them all at the wedding in such bliss almost drove me to tears, because I know the happiness can't last long.
    Don't make episode three too rough, Moffat. Please...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 584
    The calm before the storm. Brilliant!
    Was that Peter Dinkledge as the midget?!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The last episode is said to end at a point where we'll think 'they wouldn't end it there, would they?'.

And the answer is yes, yes they would.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I seem to be in the minority here but I thought it was the worst episode of Sherlock so far and the only one I didn't really like. It all came together nicely in the end but it didn't do much to keep my attention until then. If it was 45 minutes or an hour then fair enough but the episodes are 90 minutes long, so they can't just wait until the last 15 minutes and then suddenly chuck a plot in. Also, although there were a few funny bits, I thought most of the gags fell flat.

Who wrote this one?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The last episode is said to end at a point where we'll think 'they wouldn't end it there, would they?'.

And the answer is yes, yes they would.

I reckon Mary dies. Or maybe even Watson if they're not planning to make any more (but given how successful it is I doubt that'll happen). Actually it'll probably be another cliff hanger, with the baddy about to kill Mary and John.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I really like how Sherlock have changed since the previous series.

Does that goes in line with how i change in the literary world?

• Who wrote this one?

Moffat, Gatiss and Steve Thompson. Which might explain the lack of cohesion that you felt.

Who wrote this one?

Moffat, Gatiss and Steve Thompson. Which might explain the lack of cohesion that you felt.

Moffat and Gatiss only wrote the last scene, this was Thompson's episode.
    I did think that I saw "written by Steven Moffat" in the opening titles but I did think it was weird given that the stuff he writes is normally really good and he's been on a roll lately.

Just looked it up and apparently Thompson wrote the final episode of last series, which is my favourite one so far. So it's a shame I didn't enjoy this one as much. Does this mean that Moffat is writing the finale? I'm looking forward to that.
    Yes, Moffat wrote the last one. One episode each per series.
    I shamefully missed the first half hour because I didn´t realise it would be a half hour earlier than the first episode, but what I saw I loved a lot. That was so out there, again completely standing the formula on its head, while staying true to the essentials. The
    intertwining of the seemingly various investigations
    makes me look forward to re-watching it several times.
    It´s so refreshing that they put so much stuff in single episodes, I love it. I´m so glad they don´t stretch it out over 12 episodes like so many tv shows.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I re-watched this episode last night, and certain parts of it many times since then because I love it so much. It's got a great mix of light hearted comedy and drama, which I love, and I think it was well written and filmed. I can understand people's frustrations with the cases, but I don't read Doyle's stories or watch this series entirely for the mysteries, because I could find them on any TV program. What keeps me coming back to 221B is the magnificent friendship of Sherlock and John that has been painted so beautifully here, a pair who together can make me grin one moment and crack a tear the next.

The best parts of the episode for me are the best man speech sections and the ending. It is so adorable to see just how unaware Sherlock is of how much John and others care for him, and seeing him in such an awkward social situation that he isn't accustomed to at all was something I could relate to. The portrayal of Sherlock and John's relationship in this episode alone was mesmerizing and so satisfying to a Holmes fanatic like myself.

The greatest part of the episode however, is the ending.
    That beautifully romantic dance John and Mary share as Sherlock plays the violin and the detective's deduction that Mary is pregnant make me very emotional and very happy, yet sad at the same time because I know something bad is going to be coming in the last episode, like a storm cloud forming on the horizon. The whole ending is predicated on the fact that Sherlock has made a vow to protect John and Mary no matter what, a vow I am sure Moffat will put to the ultimate test, the bastard. My heart absolutely breaks when Sherlock's smile turns to an expression of melancholia after delivering the pregnancy news, and when his eyes meet with John's both seem to understand that things may not ever be like "old times" ever again. As Sherlock exits the venue and leaves the party early (as Mrs. Hudson warned against), it is almost entirely cemented that he has successfully started off Mary and John's new chapter, one that may not involve him. As we get the last shots of Sherlock, wrapped tightly in his coat, what's left of my heart shatters.

I'm both excited and worried in equal measures for the next episode. Actually, let's face it...I'm more worried. Be gentle, Moffat. Be gentle...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Well put that, 0Brady.

I liked the last chapter but...
    it was quite irregular. The first hour was chaotic and only the great speech was satisfactory. But... at the end, all is rounded and take sense. In a way they invited us to see the chapter again and again... as we all do.:D
    Anyway I don´t like the drinking scenes. Not very Holmes for me:-/
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,767
    ggl007 wrote:
    I found them as unexpected as but also as fitting as
    Sherlock´s emotional involvement with The Woman.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    boldfinger wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

We´ve seen what you mention before and it´s debatable how much...
    emotional involvemente was there.
    What it´s not debatable was the drunk they got...
    I thought the stag night was like the rest of the episode: a decent idea that was dragged out for way too long. It was funny seeing them pissed though.
    Well this show just gets better and better and better! The first episode was excellent! The explanation was most satisfactory as far as I was concerned. And as for the humour? I was rolling round the floor laughing! The bit where they were both getting on with their lives separately was brilliant! The dialogue and intercutting from crime scene to a GP surgery was just genius!

And today I caught up with the second instalment which was excellent too. The best man speech was just superb and that neat twist with regards to the name of the episode too was cool. I also loved all of Sherlock's guest deductions when he was playing matchmaker! :))

Roll on Sunday sadly for the final episode of the season! :(( I have no doubt that we will have a rollicking good adventure with no doubt a cliff hanger to frustrate us all?!!!!! ~X(
  • Kind of bollocks that Series 3 ended so quickly as it started huh...
    ggl007 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

We´ve seen what you mention before and it´s debatable how much...
    emotional involvemente was there.
    What it´s not debatable was the drunk they got...
    The Woman appearing in Sherlock´s mind and distracting him while he´s trying to deduce is the kind of involvement I was talking about. Perhaps intellectual attraction would be a more appropriate term than emotional involvement.
    I thought the stag night was like the rest of the episode: a decent idea that was dragged out for way too long. It was funny seeing them pissed though.
    The idea being dragged out made the episode weird and bizzarre in a very entertaining way. These first two episodes of season three truly took it to a whole new level. I don´t dare imagine what´s gonna happen in the third episode.

The question I wonder is, where from here? What about series 4, 5 or 6?

How will things be kept fresh and what stories will be tackled next?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I did love it. Just finished watching it.
    However,
    I sincerely hope they do not kill Mary off so soon. There is no need to, not at all. I thought her character was wonderful and it could continue - the three of them - for a few more episodes at least. Geez, if they kill her off that quickly, truly, I will be upset. No matter how well written it is. That is not necessary and I don't want that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Just caught this episode last night. That Royal guard guy was the black kid from the Harry Potter movies, nice to see him getting some work. Anyway, what a brilliant episode! Everyone was on top form...on too bloody form. Cumberbatch is a beast in this episode, the whole speech thing at the wedding and the scenes with the women/laptop stuff, just brilliant. I hope they're paying this man well because very few actors can convey what they do to be both hard and easy simultaneously. This is the sort of acting one is forced to appreciate. Anyway, this is easily one of the best episodes of the series.

Also, maybe this was coincidence but with Moffat and Gatiss being huge Bond fans, did anyone catch what could have been a John Gardner reference?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Just caught this episode last night. That Royal guard guy was the black kid from the Harry Potter movies, nice to see him getting some work. Anyway, what a brilliant episode! Everyone was on top form...on too bloody form. Cumberbatch is a beast in this episode, the whole speech thing at the wedding and the scenes with the women/laptop stuff, just brilliant. I hope they're paying this man well because very few actors can convey what they do to be both hard and easy simultaneously. This is the sort of acting one is forced to appreciate. Anyway, this is easily one of the best episodes of the series.

Also, maybe this was coincidence but with Moffat and Gatiss being huge Bond fans, did anyone catch what could have been a John Gardner reference?

Missed that what was it?.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It was just a minor thing actually. When Sherlock was doing his interrogation deciphering thing with the women in the auditorium and relaying their professions but the way it was edited/shot he said John...Gardener. Like I said, it could be nothing.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,767
    However,
    I sincerely hope they do not kill Mary off so soon. There is no need to, not at all. I thought her character was wonderful and it could continue - the three of them - for a few more episodes at least. Geez, if they kill her off that quickly, truly, I will be upset. No matter how well written it is. That is not necessary and I don't want that.
    Well, at least in the books
    Watson keeps working with Holmes long after he´s moved in together with Mary, she doesn´t distract them at all, opposite, she encourages John to go for it when Holmes calls on him. So I would find it strange if Mary was killed. And it would be too much of a blow for John, I don´t see how it could suit the series, after all it´s about Sherlock and John solving crimes/saving lives, and not about John slipping deeper and deeper into depression.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    boldfinger wrote:
    However,
    Well, at least in the books
    Watson keeps working with Holmes long after he´s moved in together with Mary, she doesn´t distract them at all, opposite, she encourages John to go for it when Holmes calls on him. So I would find it strange if Mary was killed. And it would be too much of a blow for John, I don´t see how it could suit the series, after all it´s about Sherlock and John solving crimes/saving lives, and not about John slipping deeper and deeper into depression.
    Exactly!
    And if they kill her so quickly it would be a real blow to the series, far too much of a blow. I do not think it would suit the series, either. I know Mary doesn't last forever in the books but she does for a good while, although it is a bit vague. Another round of depression for John so soon would be a major downturn for the show, in my opinion.
    Yes, I want Mary to stay alive too. I love how she is portrayed in this series, how great a companion she is with John and how well she handles Sherlock. Amanda is brilliant in this, and it was perfect casting to capture the real life chemistry she has with Martin onscreen. Killing her off now would waste a great character quite frankly. Plus, Mary's pregnant; let's not ruin that happy moment, Moffat! Though considering that Moffat and Gatiss wrote the last scene in The Sign of Three, they are sure to stab our hearts next episode. Plus, I think Mary is the one being targeted by Magnussen, who also sent her a message at the wedding through the guise of "Cam" (standing for Charles Augustus Magnussen), and she looks visibly shaken after hearing the name. It would explain why she was the one that got the text about John being burned, and why he was almost killed, to get at her heart strings. Magnussen also mentions Mary's dead parents in his wedding message, so I think there is more to that, and he may have information to blackmail her from her past. He also seems to have an interest in Sherlock, maybe someone he sees in his way? I guess we'll see what comes of all this next episode.
    so I think there is more to that, and he may have information to blackmail her from her past.
    Good idea! In Doyle´s story, Holmes and Watson
    sneak into Milverton´s house, just to witness a female extortion victim kill Milverton, the scene ending with the dame crushing her heel into Milverton´s face. That would be a glorious moment for Mary in the film as well, wouldn´t it?

boldfinger wrote:
    so I think there is more to that, and he may have information to blackmail her from her past.
    Good idea! In Doyle´s story, Holmes and Watson
    sneak into Milverton´s house, just to witness a female extortion victim kill Milverton, the scene ending with the dame crushing her heel into Milverton´s face. That would be a glorious moment for Mary in the film as well, wouldn´t it?
    Yes, that would be cool. This Sherlock and John would definitely break and enter as well, so that'd be great to see, especially if Mary's reputation was on the line. I hope they don't kill Magnussen off quickly though. It'd be great if he makes a devastating entrance in this last episode and then his villainy is carried out clear until the end of the next series like they did with Moriarty.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,012
    #:-S Finally finished reading all the new posts. I need o re-watch the episodes before I write a proper review on them. As I said before privately I have watched them with my mother and she was constantly asking questions (and instant translation) which made it rather difficult for me to follow everything. So far, from these first two episodes, I can say I loved somethings, was indifferent to others, and a couple of them I didn't like. I thought both the episodes were great fun which brings me to a feeling that I get... I fear for the last episode. Not in terms of quality, in fact I think it might be great (I heard it's got a lot of canon), but in terms of mood/ending. I think all the fun will end up in something terrible.
    I get the impression something really bad is going to happen to Mary or with her.
    in fact I've had the opinion for a while that she will not live being series 3