James Bond at risk of early death from alcohol

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    0013 wrote:
    It seems I am the only one who actually liked the article...

No I'm with you. Nice fun read that for some reason which escapes seems to have got people frothing at the mouth for no good reason.

Someone took the time to write an unremarkable article that failed to be entertaining, amusing or insightful, written by those who had barely scraped the barrel on Bond's drinking habits in the slightest. That's why some, like me, are not amused. With all the international news, wars, protests, and political shake-ups going on in this world, I think CNN can better redirect their gaze to more salient matters, and leave the Bond articles to the fans.

I'll agree it was just a bit of fluff and no more erudite than some of the posts on here which is where it belongs but it was an amusing diversion that someone had bothered to go through and tot up Bond's drinks for our fleeting entertainment.

I didn't pay attention to CNN's treatment of the story and just clicked on the link to the orginal article so I could read it for myself but I suppose if you have to have your news spoon fed to you by CNN I can see how it might rankle.

I followed the link as well, but that doesn't mean I had anything "spoon fed" to me. I made a point long ago to never watch or read the news.

So what's your gripe then? CNN might just as well show monkeys playing tennis with fruit as any news if you are not watching. It's rather like me moaning about plot lines in Eastenders.
  • I made a point long ago to never watch or read the news.

Why?
    It's the holiday season and many U.S. news organization struggle to have anything new or interesting to say. But they know that anything James Bond will generate interest. I equate it to the annual trap I fall into, where a magazine here will put a portrait of Jesus on the cover and the story inside is tripe. But I always buy them and always will. I hope I don't see a cover of Jesus and Bond together, because I'll buy that for sure.

As to excessive drinking, I often thought a party with Lee Marvin, Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole and Michael Caine would be memorable in so many ways.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I made a point long ago to never watch or read the news.

Why?
    The main purpose of the news from the beginning was to encompass the public with fear and worry, and though I don't care about that part, there is barely ever any good news, as that doesn't sell papers, and I have enough things to depress me without paying attention to it.
    So what's your gripe then? CNN might just as well show monkeys playing tennis with fruit as any news if you are not watching. It's rather like me moaning about plot lines in Eastenders.
    I stated my gripes on the last page. And though I don't make a point to read or watch the news, I always have to hear about it from others, so one way or another I have to deal with it. It's only depressing or painfully trivial news that truly bugs me; if it's good news I'm all for it, but that's about as rare as a unicorn.

Why?
    The main purpose of the news from the beginning was to encompass the public with fear and worry, and though I don't care about that part, there is barely ever any good news, as that doesn't sell papers, and I have enough things to depress me without paying attention to it.
    I stated my gripes on the last page. And though I don't make a point to read or watch the news, I always have to hear about it from others, so one way or another I have to deal with it. It's only depressing or painfully trivial news that truly bugs me; if it's good news I'm all for it, but that's about as rare as a unicorn.

Nancy - One bus crash?!? Why doesn't the news mention all the buses that got safely to their destination?
    Mark - Yes I suppose the news should really just be a dispassionate list of all the events that happen in the world. But then of course it would go on FOREVER.

Peep Show
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Why?

Nancy - One bus crash?!? Why doesn't the news mention all the buses that got safely to their destination?
    Mark - Yes I suppose the news should really just be a dispassionate list of all the events that happen in the world. But then of course it would go on FOREVER.

Peep Show

No, more like the successful delivery of international aid to an impoverished country, the downfall of a genocidal dictator, or the survival of war ridden and natural disaster plagued area. You know, events that show humans can join together to face an equal and opposing force? I know your attempt at comedy (or lack thereof) with the bus statement was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I thought I'd share my idea of "good news" any way.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    ic

Why?

Peep Show

No, more like the successful delivery of international aid to an impoverished country, the downfall of a genocidal dictator, or the survival of war ridden and natural disaster plagued area. You know, events that show humans can join together to face an equal and opposing force? I know your attempt at comedy (or lack thereof) with the bus statement was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I thought I'd share my idea of "good news" any way.

The words of Elliot Carver spring to mind- "There's no news like bad news".

In my honest opinion, I would rather watch the news than read the newspapers, but I find myself straying away from ITV news, which becomes ever more "ITVish", if you get what I mean. Tripe, basically.

ic

Why?

Peep Show

In my honest opinion, I would rather watch the news than read the newspapers, but I find myself straying away from ITV news, which becomes ever more "ITVish", if you get what I mean. Tripe, basically.

Well like any information the onus is on you to seek out a variety of sources so you can make an informed judgement - although I would contend any source of news is better than just putting your head in the sand because there aren't enough feel good stories. The world's a grim place and just saying 'I wish they had more stories about cats being rescued from trees' isn't really going to change that.
    You once again fail to grasp my point beyond your attempts at repartee, @Wizard. I won't prolong your one-man stand up act any longer.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2013 Posts: 5,080
    ic

Why?

Peep Show

Well like any information the onus is on you to seek out a variety of sources so you can make an informed judgement - although I would contend any source of news is better than just putting your head in the sand because there aren't enough feel good stories. The world's a grim place and just saying 'I wish they had more stories about cats being rescued from trees' isn't really going to change that.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I read news articles on the internet, I watch BBC news etc. Of course not all news has to be good news. Its just that I dislike ITV for giving us the likes of the X factor and all the rest. I'm afraid that ITV news is becoming ever more stagnant. For example, the extensive news coverage of the Nigella Lawson trial.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I know your attempt at comedy (or lack thereof) with the bus statement

Don't diss Peep Show. One of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen and it also led to the creation of the funniest sketch show I've ever seen.
    Merry Christmark everyone! :D

(Warning: Language may offend!)

That's Numberwang ;-)
  • That's Numberwang ;-)

Oooh and that's a bad miss :))
    This is one of my favourite scenes from the entire series. The exchange of 'WTF?' looks between Mark and Jeremy are priceless:

Fun article (from NPR). Maybe they should follow-up with something on Bond's cigarette habit.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    "Unlike the American government, we prefer not to get our bad news from CNN."

Good one, Wes! :))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well, it's Christmas, and Christmas always brings out the.....PARTY POOPERS.

So, this can now be locked as it appears to have run it's course. :O)
This discussion has been closed.