Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

The Master
    It's an interesting movie, with spectacular performances. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix are extremely gifted and engage on their portrayals, as always.
    The way I see it, the film a huge criticism against religions and cults (not only Scientology, as many said), so I enjoy it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I saw Man of Steel for the first time over the weekend, and liked it fine enough. It didn't make me go nuts like Iron Man 3 did, but that's because I am not that big of a Superman fan. I thought the emotional beats the film touched on were excellent, if a little iffy in how they are presented so early in the story, and there were times that I truly was moved. The acting was fine, but nobody blew me away, and the big fight at the end takes away so much time that could have been spent heightening the emotional content of the film and providing something more meaningful to the story than smash, bang and boom. The film can get a bit ridiculous at times because of moments like this, especially when you realize just how many people are being killed both because of the actions of so called "protectors" like Superman and the military but also because of the attacks led by Zod and his team, so that stuff bugged me more than anything else. Thanks to the wonderful internet, I knew
    Superman was going to kill Zod,
    but I still got moved by the scene.
    You see all the pain in Clark's eyes, which Cavill played extremely well, and in that moment you realize that he has killed off the only other surviving member of Krypton, choosing the people of earth over his home planet.
    The emotional bits like that scene and also the moments that touch on Clark's two fathers, John on earth and Jor on Krypton were very well done and satisfyingly moving, which Zimmer's score accompanies magnificently. I enjoyed Cavill in the role more than I thought, and while there are moments where he falters (thought more because of dialogue than anything else), he really impressed me, and I can't wait to see more from him as the red caped wonder. The ending left a lot of potential for the future, so I can't wait to see what happens when Batman enters the mix.

P.S. Of all the massive casualties, structural and environmental damage that occurred in this film, the one thing that bugs me to no end is that THE Pulitzer Prize winning Lois Lane said the word "tinkle." I mean, what the hell is up with that?!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I suppose she was trying to speak a language a bunch of "grunts" could understand lol.

Last film I saw was Thor: the dark world.

What a great film, action packed and a lot of powerful and emotional scenes. This film from the offset looks superior to its predecessor pure from an aesthetic and visual standpoint. You can tell they put money into this. Hemsworth is great as Thor, with this being his 3rd outing in just as many years, he embody the roles with confidence and ease. Hiddleston as Loki is even more magnificent than ever. He IS Loki. There are 2 wonderful scenes that convey a layer of depth to Loki that present him more as just some villain hellbent on royally pissing people off. The action is great and there's plenty of it, in fact, watching the film it's like watching a hybrid movie if Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. It's fantastic. Unlike Man of Steel, the action doesn't feel like it's there for the sake if it without any emotional investment to support it. There's a purpose for all that's going on and an actual sense of urgency. There's a great cameo by way of illusion, you'll know it when you see it and the humour is great too. The score was also fantastic and really added weight to the tragic and emotional scenes.
    The film isn't without it's faults though. There were too many characters that were underused, too much exposition that was constantly repeated and Eccleston's Malekith, although menacing just came off as a typical villain who wanted to plunge the universe into darkness for no real reason other than the fact that he's evil and evil people do evil things.

I rank this film as marvel's best yet after the avengers. It's incredibly entertaining.
    8.5/10
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Just finishing The Mask of Zorro on Sky before I go to work.

Forgot gloriously fun it is. Though it did have me thinking of Die Another Day on a few occasions oddly.

-Hero imprisoned early on
    -lots of swordfighting
    -two fights going on during climax

Zorro was well made though.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just finishing The Mask of Zorro on Sky before I go to work.

Forgot gloriously fun it is. Though it did have me thinking of Die Another Day on a few occasions oddly.

-Hero imprisoned early on
    -lots of swordfighting
    -two fights going on during climax

Zorro was well made though.

I love this film as well. It's a really well directed piece of old school filmmaking.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2013 Posts: 28,694
    A few nights ago I rewatched The Shining, and still enjoy it. The film proves to be one of the most interpretive ever, where you are left with more questions than answers at the end of the film. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, and proves why the film is so timeless in cinematic history. One of the many things I love most about Stanley is that his shots are always so perfectly symmetrical and finely tuned, yet his films are completely off center in regards to their dark themes and characters, The Shining being a perfect example of this. You could discuss this film and what it all means for days on end, because it is so fascinating and full of talking points to ponder over. Jack Nicholson gives the greatest performance I have ever seen of him (if he was indeed acting ;) ), the film is beautifully shot, chillingly scored to perfection, and the only thing I dislike about it at times is Shelley Duvall, who can often annoy (and make you root for Jack). This is probably the best Kubrick film I have seen yet, and as always I can't wait for my chance to see some more of his work, as he fascinates me as both a man and filmmaker.

Last night I also watched The Thing, all in the aim of getting into the Halloween mood. I had never seen this film before, but am a big Carpenter fan because of his Halloween films, and thought I would give it a try after it was recommended to me many a time. While I don't think it is anything on the level of Halloween, I enjoyed the film and thought it presented a clever plot that always had you second guessing, much like the characters in the film. I thought all of the cast were very good, and very naturalistic in their crafting of their roles; none disappointed. There were plenty of great scenes to build the suspense and make you question when the proverbial crap was going to hit the fan, and "the thing" was brilliantly brought to life. In classic Carpenter style,
    you are left with uncertainty in the air as the credits roll. The ending reminded me of that of Halloween (1978), where Loomis, just like MacReady believes he has finally slain the monster that has terrorized everyone the entire film. The final shots of Halloween show us an empty patch of grass where Michael was, while The Thing's present to us two men victorious in their fight, yet alone in the freezing cold without any way out. You leave the film wondering about the fates of the characters you have been torn away from by the credits, and wonder if all worked out, or if the monster is really gone for good.
    Overall, not a bad film, and quite exemplary for the time.

Here is a cool fact on The Thing, straight from IMDb:

"This movie has become part of the culture in Antarctica. It is a long standing tradition in all British Antarctic research stations to watch The Thing as part of their Midwinter feast and celebration held every June 21."

That's so cool.
    That's really spooky (literally) @0Brady because I'm having a Halloween horror fest tonight. Currently watching Alien, then The Thing and finishing off the evening with The Shining. 3 of my favourite horror films :-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, if you go off of the prequel logic from 'The Thing' (2011), then:

Childs is still a human, as he has his earring in.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, if you go off of the prequel logic from 'The Thing' (2011), then:

Childs is still a human, as he has his earring in.
    I figured as much, I was just stating that we are left wondering if both men will ever be rescued at the end. One thing I was wondering about was the scene where one of the team discover MacReady's shirt with his name on it all torn up as if "The Thing" had gotten to them. How did that happen, as I don't think MacReady was infected? I don't remember the film ever answering how that happened, but I thought that maybe you had a theory.
    RED2 - what a waste of movie with general great actors in it especiallu Mary Louise Parker.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Wicker Man The Final Cut (Blu ray)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 23,713
    John Carpenter's The Ward

I don't think it's nearly as bad as some make it out to be but yeah, Carpenter has been stuck in creativity limbo since the early 90s. I should have gone with his best suited film for this night, the aptly titled Halloween. ;-) Ah well, the night is still young. What's that, mother?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I need to see more John Carpenter movies. I've seen both Escape from New York/LA, Starman and parts of "The Thing." The type of filmmaking he did in his early years as a director are the exact things I inspire to do.

I'm currently writing my own feature length film and I plan to film it on a very tight shoestring budget. I also wrote the theme song for it as Carpenter did for most of his films. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    I need to see more John Carpenter movies. I've seen both Escape from New York/LA, Starman and parts of "The Thing." The type of filmmaking he did in his early years as a director are the exact things I inspire to do.

I'm currently writing my own feature length film and I plan to film it on a very tight shoestring budget. I also wrote the theme song for it as Carpenter did for most of his films. :)

It doesn't get much better than his simple yet so effective Halloween score. Absolute brilliance.
    @DarthDimi, I found 'The Ward' to be good from what I remember. I gave it a shot just because it was Carpenter and I think Amber Heard is incredibly attractive, and it was an okay film. Nowhere near as good as his movies from the 70's and 80's, but still.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, regarding 'The Thing':
    I don't think it's ever really brought up again, but it just adds to the confusion of who is who and when: MacReady could've been infected (though I choose to believe he's still a human) and he just didn't cover his tracks properly. But, like he said, whoever was infected could've just tore some of his clothes up and thrown it out for someone to notice. Even before that happens, we see MacReady rummaging through the ripped up long johns that were found in the trash can, so whoever - at that moment - was The Thing, they could've thought that perhaps one of the humans would've found them out by doing a clothes check or whatnot, and it would be good to throw suspicion on someone else by tearing up a tagged item, such as MacReady's jacket. Also, although it never came to fruition, Carpenter was going to do a sequel of sorts that had both MacReady and Childs rescued, and they would take a test to prove who they really were, and he juggled with having Childs be a Thing, or having them both make it out of there still humans.

It's one of those moments where I would've loved to see what Carpenter did with a sequel, but I didn't want it to get to the point where it ruined his original version by throwing something outlandish at us. If neither of them were infected, how could they progress the storyline with another Thing if the main creature and all of the other humans were shot? Perhaps one of the dogs who escaped did get infected and just didn't take the form of the bigger version of itself to hide suspicions? Who knows. Would've been interesting at the time, but I like the film just the way it is, ambiguous ending at all. Hope you didn't mind reading all of this.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, I found 'The Ward' to be good from what I remember. I gave it a shot just because it was Carpenter and I think Amber Heard is incredibly attractive, and it was an okay film. Nowhere near as good as his movies from the 70's and 80's, but still.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, regarding 'The Thing':
    I don't think it's ever really brought up again, but it just adds to the confusion of who is who and when: MacReady could've been infected (though I choose to believe he's still a human) and he just didn't cover his tracks properly. But, like he said, whoever was infected could've just tore some of his clothes up and thrown it out for someone to notice. Even before that happens, we see MacReady rummaging through the ripped up long johns that were found in the trash can, so whoever - at that moment - was The Thing, they could've thought that perhaps one of the humans would've found them out by doing a clothes check or whatnot, and it would be good to throw suspicion on someone else by tearing up a tagged item, such as MacReady's jacket. Also, although it never came to fruition, Carpenter was going to do a sequel of sorts that had both MacReady and Childs rescued, and they would take a test to prove who they really were, and he juggled with having Childs be a Thing, or having them both make it out of there still humans.

It's one of those moments where I would've loved to see what Carpenter did with a sequel, but I didn't want it to get to the point where it ruined his original version by throwing something outlandish at us. If neither of them were infected, how could they progress the storyline with another Thing if the main creature and all of the other humans were shot? Perhaps one of the dogs who escaped did get infected and just didn't take the form of the bigger version of itself to hide suspicions? Who knows. Would've been interesting at the time, but I like the film just the way it is, ambiguous ending at all. Hope you didn't mind reading all of this.
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks. The main goal of The Thing was to have all the humans dead, and if one of the men it infected were to sabotage another member of the group, that would have been quite smart.

It would have been interesting to see a sequel to this, but like you said, it is great the way it is, leaving you wondering what happens after the film ends. Thanks for being the one that pushed me to give it a shot. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    John Carpenter's The Ward

I don't think it's nearly as bad as some make it out to be but yeah, Carpenter has been stuck in creativity limbo since the early 90s. I should have gone with his best suited film for this night, the aptly titled Halloween. ;-) Ah well, the night is still young. What's that, mother?

I liked The Ward. It does feature Danielle Panabaker, after all. :x
    Unfortunately, it's yet another horror film where her character dies.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Watched a certain John Carpenter film last night. Can you guess which one?

DVD or on TV?

I believe it's the one with The Thing.

;-)

Meaning Halloween, of course, which has scenes from The Thing From Another World on television. :-)
    DVD, naturally. I never watch films on TV. The broadcasters treat movies appallingly - always have, always will.
    DarthDimi wrote:

I believe it's the one with The Thing.

;-)

Meaning Halloween, of course, which has scenes from The Thing From Another World on television. :-)

Indeed. Whenever I watch 'Halloween' and the opening credits of 'The Thing From Another World' start up I find myself wishing that there was a special "branching" edition of Carpenter's classic whereby you can carry on and watch the whole of 'The Thing...' before returning to the plot again. Might throw a bit of a spanner in the works of the story, time-wise. You can just picture Michael Myers pacing back and forth, looking at his watch, tutting and muttering "get a move on, will ya".
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Commando

Lets face it...this film is crap. Terrible acting and a laughably implausable climax with Arnie gunning down anyone in his path. BUT it is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

The guy who plays Bennett always cracks me up. Anyone who can act worse than Arnie has done some job.
    The guy who plays Bennett always cracks me up. Anyone who can act worse than Arnie has done some job.

He's great :)) "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU NOWW"
  • Fat Freddie Mercury.
    ALWAYS - a Steven Spielberg movie with Audrey Hepburns last performance, a beautifull movie full with magic. A really fun movie with a heart.

Willow - George Lucas with a great fantasy movie, too bad there were not more of them.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, anytime! You should check out the prequel to 'The Thing' solely for the experience of seeing how much different the monster acts in it than it does in Carpenter's version. It's quite different, and you'll see why. Sadly, the film really lacks practical effects, going the way of horrendous CGI, and I'm not sure why they went that route after filming the whole thing with practical effects.
    Thor: The Dark World

2013-04-23-thor_the_dark_world-e1366720351493.jpg

During "Phase 1", I put Thor behind Avengers, Captain America and Iron Man on my list of favourites. Only Iron Man 2 had failed me more. But with this new entry, I'm sold! So far, only two films in, Thor takes the lead in my ranking of "Phase 2"!

I love this film. Everything the trailer promises, the film delivers. It stays loyally within the continuity of the previous films in Marvel's Avengers series, it brings back many if not all of its previous cast members and it widely enhances the spectacle compared to the first Thor film. Seeing that director Alan Taylor is also doing Terminator in '15, I suddenly have more confidence in the latter project.

The fights are good, the chemistry between Hemsworth and Portman works well, London provides a great setting for much of the story, and some special treats for the fans are certainly in the mix too. If you are still interested in where the story of our superheroes goes after The Avengers, see this film. Thor: The Dark World is definitely a film I can recommend!

I watched 'V/H/S 2' and 'The ABC's of Death' the other night. Really enjoyed the former, but I found the first one to be leagues better. The latter film was alright, had a really great segment or two, but other than that, the others were dull or not terribly entertaining. I'd recommend 'V/H/S 2' if you've seen the first, and 'The ABC's of Death' if you have 120 minutes to kill for some mindless entertainment.