Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, I didn't even bother with 'The Omen' remake, as I knew it would be nowhere near the excellence that is the original, and I have no plans of seeing 'Carrie' until it hits Redbox for cheap.

A recent remake that left me stumped is 'Oldboy.' Why? The original is near perfection, with one of the greatest twists in cinematic history. Why did it have to be made? I feel like here in America, Hollywood hates when other countries come out with a fantastic, critically loved film, so they have to put their own take on it. Look at TGWTDT: I'm not dogging it, it was probably my favorite film of 2011 and it was Fincher at his finest, but I think the Swedish trilogy had just about finished up its cinematic take on it when the remake was announced/filmed. We take everything that's already good and remake it.

This. Take The Departed. It's fantastic. It's amazing. One of my favourite films.

But then I watched Infernal Affairs and it absolutely wiped the floor with The Departed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,638
    @StirredNotShaken, sadly, I've yet to see 'Internal Affairs,' but I've heard of its excellence many a time. I'll have to get around to watching it.

I still don't understand why Lee felt it was necessary to remake 'Oldboy.' I'll see it, but I just hate that Hollywood hates being original most of the time.

EDIT: Just watched 'ffolkes/North Sea Hijack.' Is it true that this film was an opportunity for Moore to play a comedic turn? Because I thought he went with that during his Bond tenure.
  • The last movie I watched was Captain Phillips,
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Evangelion 1.11: You are (not) alone

wallpaper-evangelion.jpg

I'm a fan of Japanese anime and Neon Genesis Evangelion has always been high on my list of favourites. With director Hideaki Anno re-telling the original series' story and re-editing the series into four new films, progressively adding more visual material, new story elements and completely new concepts, I'm jumping on this wagon with a hardcore fan's enthusiasm.

This first film stays closer to the original series than its sequels. It put the images through the CGI cleaner and returned a fabulous remix of visuals and sound. The mecha never looked this awesome before. The faster pacing of this new edit also helps the story a lot. It's as if Evangelion drank fifty cans of Red Bull and became wild as a duck. I'm impressed!

Two more films have by now been released in this 'Rebuild Of Evangelion' tetralogy project, the fourth waiting to be announced. I have more to say about numbers 2 and 3 soon, but for now I take pleasure in this first marvellous film. If you never saw the original series (and also if you did) but you are interested in philosophical cyber punk, more mecha than Ghost In The Shell but much less playful than most other mecha, you might want to give this film a try. It'll require more than one viewing to get the whole picture, but you might already take away a great amount of sublime anime.
  • I saw it mentioned in a previous response but last film viewed was Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

In short -
    Something unpleasant gets discovered on the London subway during construction and all hell (literally) breaks loose, as things spiral out of control, with a genuinely chilling and memorable finale. One of the greatest hammer horror pictures ever released, and while it shows it age, this must of given theater audiences some frights on original release. Highly recommended

QuatermassandthePit1967.jpg
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Having seen it umpteen times over the years at the cinema, on VHS, on Laserdisc and on DVD I completed the "five formats" last night by watching 'The X-Files: Fight The Future' on Blu-Ray. And jolly good it was too!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Trainspotting

Still Danny Boyle's masterpiece and Ewan McGregor gives the performance of his career. A significant turning point in British filmaking, Trainspotting looks deep into the lives of a group of drug addicts in Scotland. Complete with a terrific soundtrack and striking cinematography the film brings out a range of emotions. One minute we are intrigued, even amused, by the lives of Renton and the gang, the next we are utterly dsgusted as they sink lower and lower. The film has become large in British pop culture yet never (IMO) glamorises drug taking or forces sentiment on its audience.

9/10
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2013 Posts: 4,043
    City of God is one of my favourites from the last decade. Just sublime. But heaven forbid anyone that has to watch it with subtitles!

Really I've seen it quite a few times and I certainly wouldn't watch it dubbed, World Cinema needs to be watched with subtitles, dubbing is jarring and I can't relax.
    Shardlake wrote:
    City of God is one of my favourites from the last decade. Just sublime. But heaven forbid anyone that has to watch it with subtitles!

Really I've seen it quite a few times and I certainly wouldn't watch it dubbed, World Cinema needs to be watched with subtitles, dubbing is jarring and I can't relax.

It was sarcasm.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Curse of Chucky

hqdefault.jpg

I'm going to be brutally honest: I like this film. I'd read some bad things about it, kept my expectations low enough, and lo and behold! I actually had a joyful time watching Chucky's long anticipated return to horror.

Agreed, the Chuck looks like he received a total makeover and Ronny Yu isn't around. I know, I know, Don Mancini is THE Chucky dude and whatnot but let's be frank, his directorial effort, Seed of Chucky, was kind of poor. Yu, by contract, gave us the highly entertaining Bride of Chucky, still my favourite entry in the series. Anyway, Mancini directed this straight-to-DVD film as well, but this time I feel like he got it right.

We return to the more traditional slasher vibes with this film, albeit without forgetting that the previous two entries had been high on comedy. There are a few jokes in this script, and they mostly work for me. It's the balance; they got it right! Blood and laughs, what more do we want?

Brad Dourif returns to not only voice but actually star at one point in the film. And so is his daughter Fiona, who actually plays the leading part of paraplegic Nica. She gets haunted by Chucky in a creepy old house. But before you can say H.P. Lovecraft, there's also a couple of interesting callbacks to the original film, its two Child's Play sequels and its two more recent Chucky sequels. And if for no other reason, you should at least watch the film to enjoy a great - and I mean GREAT - cameo... I also recommend you watch the unrated version of the film; it comes with a nice after credits scene.

I'd be lying if I said that COC is the best slasher film since Scream. Forget that. Compared to the great ones, it's mediocre at best. But given that it's the 5th sequel in what I until recently considered a dead franchise, it holds up pretty well. In fact, here's a personal ranking:
    1) Bride Of Chucky
    2) Child's Play
    3) Curse Of Chucky
    4) Seed Of Chucky
    5) Child's Play 2
    6) Child's Play 3

It's best to keep your expectations low enough and you might actually be tricked into liking this film, like I was. But then here's the truth: I really like this film. ;-)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,351
    We're one year on now, so I watched Skyfall for the first time in nearly a year. It's weaknesses stand out to me more now but it's many positives are only clearer as well.

I also have stronger ideas for where and what I'd like the next film to go but realise these may not came to pass, due to the ways the films are at this moment in time.

I enjoyed myself again though, so that's all that matters I suppose.

If anyone wants, I'll go into more detail. Just ask.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 418
    I watched Hammer's 1958 film - 'The Revenge of Frankenstein' last night, starring Peter Cushin, and the lovley Eunice Gayson/Sylvia Trench.
    @Samuel001, you should go into more detail, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

@DarthDimi, CoC was much better than SoC, but the CGI in the former really bothered me.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @Creasy47, it may be better to find the correct thread but any questions you have, fire away. Either here or via PM and I'll be happy to answer.
    The Game (1997)
    Enjoyable film 8/10
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    last movie I've seen is 'Battle Royale' (2000). really good film, asian movies are probably my favorite type of movies. they are not scared to go where american movies don't go.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    last movie I've seen is 'Battle Royale' (2000). really good film, asian movies are probably my favorite type of movies. they are not scared to go where american movies don't go.

Well, well, well look what the cat dragged in!

Welcome back! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MrBond wrote:

hey mate, thanks! :-bd
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

hey mate, thanks! :-bd

Where the hell have you been?
    MrBond wrote:

I took a break from 007.. I felt like I needed to take one. but I am back and I'm renewed!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

I took a break from 007.. I felt like I needed to take one. but I am back and I'm renewed!

Great! I hope your devotion for Moore still stands tall!
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

It does, but I found a newly found appreciation for Craig's Bond, after seeing the amazing Skyfall in the cinema!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

It does, but I found a newly found appreciation for Craig's Bond, after seeing the amazing Skyfall in the cinema!

That is great! Skyfall is indeed very, very good!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Bourne Identity (2002)
    Not gonna lie. I found it to be boring. The action scenes were good but other than that it was just "okay". It was like watching The Saint (1997) with the charm taken out. James Bond always comes out on top.

6/10
    Murdock wrote:
    The Bourne Identity (2002)
    Not gonna lie. I found it to be boring. The action scenes were good but other than that it was just "okay". It was like watching The Saint (1997) with the charm taken out. James Bond always comes out on top.

6/10

'Identity' is my least favorite in the trilogy. I'd still give it a 7 or an 8, but I've seen it so many times that it just gets tiring for me after a while.
    @Creasy47 I hope to see the remaining two soon. I am quite curious to see where it goes after Identity.
    Murdock wrote:
    @Creasy47 I hope to see the remaining two soon. I am quite curious to see where it goes after Identity.

All in all, it's a great trilogy with a nice buildup full of answers to the questions that buildup throughout the three films. 'Ultimatum' has my favorite fight scene in the trilogy, really intense stuff.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

All in all, it's a great trilogy with a nice buildup full of answers to the questions that buildup throughout the three films. 'Ultimatum' has my favorite fight scene in the trilogy, really intense stuff.

That's good to hear. I shall rent the others very soon.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 15,696
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Identity is my least favorite too. but I really like Supremacy and Ultimatum! I can't wait for your views on them, Murdock!
    @Murdock, let me know your thoughts once you finally see them. If you enjoyed the Bond vs. Slate fight scene in QoS, there's a scene in particular (my favorite) that I know you'll love in 'Ultimatum.'

I picked up the three films separately on blu-ray from Wal-Mart about a year ago, and while going through the trilogy, 'Supremacy' started to skip a little bit, but nothing too bad. Right before my favorite scene was underway in 'Ultimatum,' it just kept skipping and freezing and I couldn't continue. I don't think I ever went back to it. I'd love to try again.