Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In terms of the last film I watched, I saw 'Road House' for the first time tonight.

That was actually funny! I was almost waiting for that chicken to show up and have another fight with Peter. :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,637
    'Insidious'

Truly terrifying film, every time I go back and rewatch it. Whether I see the scares coming or not, the soundtrack and just moments of pure, unbelievable terror get me every single time.

Now it's time to finally see 'Curse of Chucky'!

EDIT: Finished 'Curse of Chucky,' didn't really care for it. The CGI was embarassing, the deaths weren't terribly interesting, and the film never seemed to end when it got to the finale point.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Now it's time to finally see 'Curse of Chucky'!

EDIT: Finished 'Curse of Chucky,' didn't really care for it. The CGI was embarassing, the deaths weren't terribly interesting, and the film never seemed to end when it got to the finale point.

How would you rank it amongst the other films in the series?

The Adjustment Bureau. Quite enjoyable, liked the chemistry between Damon and Blunt.
    @MajorDSmythe, I haven't seen the older films in quite some time, but it's most certainly better than 'Seed of Chucky,' though I wouldn't say it's better than the first three. I haven't seen 'Bride of Chucky' in a while, either. The first half and the buildup of 'Curse of Chucky' was great and creepy - it still had some entertaining scares and tense moments throughout - but I thought the kills were really lacking and I wasn't sure why they went the awful CGI route so much.

If you've seen it, did you see the after credits scene?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have not seen it myself, yet. But I have read some mixed feelings towards the film, some even calling it the best since the original. It's UK R2 release is this coming Monday, so i'll be picking up a copy then.
    The Hunger Games. Was pretty good and certainly plenty of twists and kills that i did not see coming the way that they happened. Obviously see where the next one takes us?
    'Session 9'

Had this film on my Queue for quite some time and I really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Caruso when he isn't in 'CSI: Miami,' and this was a pretty chilling film that worked so well with an eerie environment and a tense score. I recommend it.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 157
    Captain Philips

Simple-minded, offensive, limousine liberal rubbish.
    Man of Steel - awefull, what a waste of time

The Lone Ranger - awefull what a waste of everything.
    Sean Connery Night on Channel 5 (UK) this evening:

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (19.05)
    The Rock (21.00)
    Highlander (23.40)
    I saw "THE FIFTH ESTATE". I don't understand the critics' negative response to it. If they're trying to tell us that it's one of the worst movies ever, then they're guilty of crass exaggeration.

I actually enjoyed the film. It's not the best of 2013, but I liked it. And after watching it, I'm reminded why it's not a good thing to pay attention to film critics. After all, these are the same morons who claimed that "SKYFALL" was a masterpiece.
    @DRush76, I've read mediocre reviews and it's tanked at the box office, but I still really want to see 'The Fifth Estate.'
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DRush76, some of the members of this forum consider SF a masterpiece. It would be wise not to call people with similar ideas 'morons'.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @DRush76, some of the members of this forum consider SF a masterpiece. It would be wise not to call people with similar ideas 'morons'.

I was just in the middle of a similar response. @DRush76, so because 'critics' pan a certain film which you like and they also rave about a film you actually dislike, that somehow makes them "morons" does it?
    SaintMark wrote:

The Searchers - John Wayne & Ford together is just plain awesomeness. Add a young Nathalie Wood and you have a masterpiece with one of the most gorgeous women on the planet ever.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Seraphim Falls,

A half decent Western elevated by some terrific cinematography and moments of suprisingly brutal violence. The plot does feel a little contrived at times but Brosnan and Neeson just about hold it together. I can't help thinking though that a better film is struggling to get out.

6.5/10
    @BAIN123, I loved 'Seraphim Falls,' very underrated. I haven't seen it in years, but I do recall some very brutal violence and intense survival moments throughout the film.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    @Creasy. I've seen it before too but thought I'd give it another watch. There's a nasty scene early on when an injured Broz has to take a bullet out of his arm and I thought he sold it very well (I found myself flinching when watching it). Perhaps he could have pulled off the torture scene in CR after all :-??

That said there are a couple of other scenes when his performance isn't as good like when he's in the house after a young girl catches him trying to steal a horse.
    I like the bit when he kicks a bloke in the balls while tied up then kicks him again in the head. Brutal
    I also love in the beginning when he is:
    Fleeing from Neeson and his men, and he's hiding up in the tree, and when the guy figures it out and looks up, Brosnan drops that knife perfectly through his skull. So brutal. Alongside the flinching, the part where he is going down river in that freezing water must have been incredibly painful.
    Psycho (1998)

135625__psycho_l.jpg

Doesn't everyone wonder why? Why remake Psycho? And furthermore, why remake it so shot for shot? Is it because now you can do it in colour? Pretty lame excuse. Gus Van Sant may have done all he could but he's no Hitchcock. Vince Vaughn is no Anthony Perkins, Anne Heche is no Janet Leigh, Julianne Moore is no Vera Miles, ... Am I being unfair? No! You simply don't remake Psycho. You can't remake Psycho. We know every detail, we will judge your film with fierce brutality and we will destroy it at the first sight of unevenness.

But I was intrigued about one thing. Van Sant proved that there is something more to film than just the sum total of its shots and scenes. A film has a soul. Reconstructing it frame per frame may not even suffice to give it that same soul. You don't revive a dead corpse to become a sparkling human being; you create Frankenstein's monster. And Psycho '98 is exactly that. I gave it its first act to disprove my original anxiety. It kind of passed the test. But once we enter sacred ground, the Bates Motel, I'm certain this film is a bugger pulled out of the nose of artistic arrogance. But I guess we all go a little mad sometimes...

Stay away from it. Watch Psycho '60 and then watch it again. And one more thing, it is also ...

- What's that, mother? -

... Sorry, gotta go. Mother needs me.
    I pretend that the '98 version of 'Psycho' doesn't exist. I attempted to give it a fair shot one night because it was on Netflix Instant and I thought "Why not?"

Big mistake on my part. You just don't remake it. I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea. I now hear that an oil tycoon is planning on remaking 'Titanic.' What next? A remake of 'Citizen Kane'? 'Gone With The Wind'?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    @DarthDimi The Omen remake was on TV last night. (The original is one of my favourite films). You could pretty much apply your review of Psycho to The Omen and I suspect to the new Carrie remake, which I understand is near identical to the original. It's the most blatant and cynical attempt by Hollywood to squeeze more cash out of the paying public.
    @WillyGalore, I full-heartedly agree with you!

Carry, however, is a film I want to watch. I love the original but I also love Chloe Moretz. ;-)
    @WillyGalore, I didn't even bother with 'The Omen' remake, as I knew it would be nowhere near the excellence that is the original, and I have no plans of seeing 'Carrie' until it hits Redbox for cheap.

A recent remake that left me stumped is 'Oldboy.' Why? The original is near perfection, with one of the greatest twists in cinematic history. Why did it have to be made? I feel like here in America, Hollywood hates when other countries come out with a fantastic, critically loved film, so they have to put their own take on it. Look at TGWTDT: I'm not dogging it, it was probably my favorite film of 2011 and it was Fincher at his finest, but I think the Swedish trilogy had just about finished up its cinematic take on it when the remake was announced/filmed. We take everything that's already good and remake it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, I didn't even bother with 'The Omen' remake, as I knew it would be nowhere near the excellence that is the original, and I have no plans of seeing 'Carrie' until it hits Redbox for cheap.

A recent remake that left me stumped is 'Oldboy.' Why? The original is near perfection, with one of the greatest twists in cinematic history. Why did it have to be made? I feel like here in America, Hollywood hates when other countries come out with a fantastic, critically loved film, so they have to put their own take on it. Look at TGWTDT: I'm not dogging it, it was probably my favorite film of 2011 and it was Fincher at his finest, but I think the Swedish trilogy had just about finished up its cinematic take on it when the remake was announced/filmed. We take everything that's already good and remake it.

Let The Right One In and Ring are other recent examples. The Hollywood remakes are poor in comparison. I find it very patronising when the excuse used is "Oh, audiences don't like reading subtitles so we'll remake it into English".
    Yeah, that has to be one of the most pathetic excuses I've ever heard in my life. The amount of movies people miss out on because - God forbid - they have to read, is astonishing. Their loss, not mine. I love foreign films.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    City of God is one of my favourites from the last decade. Just sublime. But heaven forbid anyone that has to watch it with subtitles!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:

Let The Right One In and Ring are other recent examples. The Hollywood remakes are poor in comparison. I find it very patronising when the excuse used is "Oh, audiences don't like reading subtitles so we'll remake it into English".

Almost as soon as the original was released an American remake of The Raid was announced. Really pissed me off.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 418
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

The Searchers - John Wayne & Ford together is just plain awesomeness. Add a young Nathalie Wood and you have a masterpiece with one of the most gorgeous women on the planet ever.

I love 'The Searchers'. Brilliant film and one of my all time favourites.