The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

The_Reaper wrote:
    CrabKey wrote:
    If you began the series with Connery, he's probably your Bond. I accepted the fact that Connery couldn't do it forever, and so I came to accept other Bonds, but never Moore.
    Moore is last on my list and right above him is Brosnan. Both fine actors and I'm sure wonderful people, but the lightweight approach has always wrankled. It took the series into parody. There was already enough of that in the imitators. Sure, I saw all of Moore's films (many times), but I'm always aware of him as an actor.

Hold on. I don't want to start an argument but you have seen DAF, right? You realize that was Connery's film and happened before Moore took over. If anything, it's Sean's fault.

What sense does it make to blame Sean for that film? He wasn't the one who turned away from the depth established in OHMSS or wrote the utterly painful scripts, where from that point in the series onwards Bond became less a secret agent, and more a world wide celebrity figure where everywhere he goes people know he is a secret agent. Pathetic, to say the least. Sean got his money, helped Scotland, and got out. The best decision, really. I think that he saw way back when YOLT was being filmed that Bond was going a bit too far out there, and much farther away from the more grounded espionage centered films he had been in previously.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with camp. I said, "if anything, it's Sean's fault" that the series went that way, ie, Moore was not the first to play Bond campy. Maybe fault is too strong a word. It came before Moore. Crabkey blamed Moore for the series being parody. I was pointing out it started in DAF.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Or blame Lazenby for the failure of his film which forced the change in direction. Or even Connery for leaving the first time, as it wouldn't have happened had he stayed. Or Cubby and Harry for not giving Sean enough money. See, it always comes back to the people in charge.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Sir Roger Moore is a wonderful and admirable human being, an empathic role model off-screen.
  • Sir Rog may not have been my favorite. And not the worst either. But what he was, was a tough man that got through seven movies, and deserves a round of applause. =D>
  • Say this about Moore - A View to a Kill aside, you certainly won't get bored watching any of his James Bond appearances. All the other six entries have so much to offer, in that a bit of everything. Moore goes from serious to humor with frequent regularity, and I can't really say a bad word about any of the releases he was involved in, except the ill-advised swansong that was a View to a Kill. Even though he should of stepped down after Moonraker, FYEO saw him at his most serious and Octopussy, for whatever flaws it may have, was a damn fine adventure, even though Moore was evidently too old for the part by then. But the subsequent (and final) release will always remain his darkest day as Bond. No redeeming qualities whatsoever for anyone involved that year it's fair to say
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I'm one of the few on here who actually enjoys AVTAK.
    Creasy47 wrote:

AVTAK is really not bad at all, I think it lacks certain energy maybe but I think Rog just about gets away with it, by the skin of his teeth.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, this thread can get ready for some heavy input, I think. One of Sir Roger's biggest fans has returned to MI6.
    Well, this thread can get ready for some heavy input, I think. One of Sir Roger's biggest fans has returned to MI6.

Not @DaltonCraig007 surely?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I can enjoy it for what it is if I'm in the right mood. I'll always have a soft spot for it as it was my first ever Bond movie in the theater. It has it's moments.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited October 2013 Posts: 292
    edited
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Creasy47 wrote:

A LOT of folk like A VIEW TO A KILL, sir! Well, I do...!

http://twitpic.com/dikdba

Dont hate me on this but I thought Roger Moore was a better Bond then Timothy
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2013 Posts: 15,690
    fjdinardo wrote:

no hate will come from me, mate! I would agree that I find Moore's take more to my taste than Dalton's*, but I would say Dalton was the better 'Bond' than him, if you compare to the talent injected in the role, the quality of Dalts' movies and more importantly compared to Fleming's writings.

*but both of them are very close. I really enjoy the Moore's good humour, but I also enjoy Dalton's acting, seriousness and bad-assery quite a lot too!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,965
    fjdinardo wrote:

no hate will come from me, mate! I would agree that I find Moore's take more to my taste than Dalton's*, but I would say Dalton was the better 'Bond' than him, if you compare to the talent injected in the role, the quality of Dalts' movies and more importantly compared to Fleming's writings.

*but both of them are very close. I really enjoy the Moore's good humour, but I also enjoy Dalton's acting, seriousness and bad-assery quite a lot too!

When Roger came in it was a breath of fresh air during his run as Bond. We just finished up the seriousness that was Sean and having Roger change it up was a good thing because I believe people would have just been bored if we had another Sean type Bond movies right after DAF. After Roger was done Tim was another breath of fresh air as well and Tim is still today the closest Bond to play the role closest to the novels. But when Tim came in fans just didn't except him because they wanted Pierce right after Roger
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    both Moore and Dalton were a breath of fresh air for their respective debute acting, so I totally agree with you. it's just a shame Dalton didn't get the massive success Moore had.
    both Moore and Dalton were a breath of fresh air for their respective debute acting, so I totally agree with you. it's just a shame Dalton didn't get the massive success Moore had.

Like I said i think it was the fans wanted Pierce to play Bond right after Roger and were disappointed when they said Tim was Bond instead
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,480

Is this the wonderful DC007 I've come to miss greatly over these past many, many, many months? At a time when I started to state I was the only one who liked AVTAK, welcome back, old friend.

I knew I recognized your profile pic from somewhere: just watched 'ffolkes' the other day and loved it.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Is this the wonder DC007 I've come to miss greatly over these past many, many, many months? At a time when I started to state I was the only one who liked AVTAK, welcome back, old friend.

I knew I recognized your profile pic from somewhere: just watched 'ffolkes' the other day and loved it.

hey mate, thanks for the warm welcome back! :)

@DaltonCraig007, you're always welcome! Nice to have you back. :)
    Creasy47 wrote:

Is this the wonderful DC007 I've come to miss greatly over these past many, many, many months? At a time when I started to state I was the only one who liked AVTAK, welcome back, old friend.

I loved AVTAK. Roger Moores oldness didn't bother me one bit. Plus we had an awesome villain in Christopher Walken
    @fjdinardo, nice to see I'm not the only one. Walken was great, the finale was intense, and it had some really great scenes throughout. Moore was older, sure, but it didn't really bother me.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    With the very large number of action heroes well over 60 today it does make me begin to wonder, why the massive problem with Moore's age? It was hardly the biggest issue of the film. If you stepped down from action films today at 57, that would be looked at as rather early I think and no doubt commended as a brave thing to do when you could easily keep on going.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    With the very large number of action heroes well over 60 today it does make me begin to wonder, why the massive problem with Moore's age? It was hardly the biggest issue of the film. If you stepped down from action films today at 57, that would be looked at as rather early I think and no doubt commended as a brave thing to do when you could easily keep on going.

If you watch something like 'Taken' or 'Harry Brown,' and then go back to AVTAK, you'll realize his age really isn't an issue. Even when I was younger, I never had a problem with his age in his final outing.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I don't think 57 is too old to be an action hero but I do think it's too old to be James Bond. Plus there was lots of obvious stunt double use thanks to Moore's age.

I think he was a fantastic Bond and he's fine in AVTAK outside of action scenes but I do think he did one too many, even Moore himself admits this. Octopussy was brilliant and it would've been a better send off for Moore than AVTAK imo.

Plus that'd mean Dalton could've done AVTAK and more Dalton is never a bad thing :)
  • Rog was fine enough. But between the too obvious stunt doubles, Bond girls half his age, and his own stated reservations, it highlighted the perception that he was.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 1,965
    Samuel001 wrote:

Since there are alot of action heros in their 60s could this mean we could be seeing Daniel Craig play Bond into his mid 50s? Daniel Craig will be 47 when Bond 24 comes and if Bond 25 comes out 2017 Craig will be 49 if they push Bond 25 past 2017 Craig will be in his 50s

Craig as a 50 years old Bond could work indeed. I think older Craig might be an action hero similar to Liam Neeson since Taken. so, very badass! :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

If you watch something like 'Taken' or 'Harry Brown,' and then go back to AVTAK, you'll realize his age really isn't an issue. Even when I was younger, I never had a problem with his age in his final outing.

But Taken and Harry Brown aren't Bond. In the Bond films we had come to expect 007 to be a certain age, and when Roger got older and older and EON kept getting him to return, it showed badly. While Roger hardly looked young in FYEO, OP or AVTAK, what really makes his aging noticeable is all the young women the films paired him with. That not only made you view Bond as some old codger hot for young tail (yuck...) but also makes his age stick out even worst against those youthful Bond girls. If the Moore era gave 007 more Bond girls nearer to his age during his last films like Octopussy was (a Bond woman, rather), then I feel the films wouldn't be looked at so harshly. When you end a film with Bond in the shower with a super young Tanya Roberts and Roger is nearing 60, it's no wonder why we cringe.
    Craig as a 50 years old Bond could work indeed. I think older Craig might be an action hero similar to Liam Neeson since Taken. so, very badass! :D

I think Craig will play Bond past Bond 25. I can see him playing the role until he is 55