Gravity (2013)

edited July 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 6,396
Not a big fan of Sandra Bullock, but this trailer is gooooooooooood

Anyone else planning on seeing this?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I am SO there for it.
    It's my sci-fi highlight of 2013....toegther with 'Elysium' :-). When I saw the trailer a few weeks ago I was equally impressed. Not a 3D film, but this is big time IMAX material :-).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yes! This looks great. A very captivating trailer.
    Directed by the guy who did Children of men and Prisoner of Azkaban. Should be good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Been looking forward to this ever since I heard Cuaron was directing and I heard of the cast. Looks amazing!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My God, it's taken us this long to find out about gravity? It's been holding us down for billions of years!

All kidding aside, that looked damned intense. Why is this the first I've heard of this?
    My God, it's taken us this long to find out about gravity? It's been holding us down for billions of years!

All kidding aside, that looked damned intense. Why is this the first I've heard of this?

I'm not sure. I've been reading up on it for quite some time now. But, news hits everyone at different times. I just read the other day that Sandra Bullock filmed her scenes in a box smaller than a prison cell, and she would be harnessed up for 10 hours a day during filming, all alone, as to give a proper look of her floating in space.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If its Cuaron then I'm in although why on earth he cast Sandra Bullock is somewhat beyond me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I know nothing about it but is the premise she floats off into space and they have to retrieve her? Because dont those suits only last about 6 hours before the batteries go? And even if you say they are solar powered where is the oxygen coming from? She's dead unless theres already a vehicle in orbit which we dont see in the trailer because there is no way anything is coming from Houston in less than about a week. We are talking MR levels of ludicrousness if they just launch a shuttle to investigate.
    I think you can make a very gripping film about this very simple element: Drifting in space alone. What counts with such a movie is breathing, nerves, tension in voice. And Sandra Bullock is perfect for that.

Perhaps.....we simply see Sandra slowly die. If that is being done, I think that's a perfect choice. The premise reminds me a bit of '127 Hours'. Sometimes you can go wunderful cinematic things with just one actor and almost no plot.

That's why I think 'Gravity' is farmost a 'movie experience' instead of just a 'movie'.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,396
    If its Cuaron then I'm in although why on earth he cast Sandra Bullock is somewhat beyond me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I know nothing about it but is the premise she floats off into space and they have to retrieve her? Because dont those suits only last about 6 hours before the batteries go? And even if you say they are solar powered where is the oxygen coming from? She's dead unless theres already a vehicle in orbit which we dont see in the trailer because there is no way anything is coming from Houston in less than about a week. We are talking MR levels of ludicrousness if they just launch a shuttle to investigate.

Here is the official plot synopsis:

Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) is on her first Space Shuttle mission and is accompanied by veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney), who is in command of the shuttle due to it being his last flight. During a spacewalk, space debris crash into the space shuttle Explorer, which leaves it almost destroyed, leaving them stranded in space and alone in spacesuits with limited breathable oxygen. They have no communication from Earth thus forcing them to cooperate with each other.
    I'm curious as to how they might pull off an ending where either of them survive.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2013 Posts: 1,347
    Really looking forward to this one, hope to catch it on the BFI IMAX as I happen to be in London when it premieres there. Anyone seen it yet? :) Please avoid spoilers or use proper spoiler tags.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
    I've already heard talk that this is one of the greatest movies ever made. I want to see it quite badly but I'm waiting on a response from a girl about if she'll go with me or not.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just got back from watching it. A film I truly wanted to see after I saw the first trailer.
    Absolutely stunning would be an apt description. Visually amazing, I have no idea how they achieved those shots. Tense, suspenseful, gripping...a real must see.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Space.

Science.

Count me in!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Space.

Science.

Count me in!
    Don´t expect too much science. It´s like the second half of Jaws, pure thrilling action, based on a realistic setting, yet unashamed to drop realism in favor of a good thrill.
    Wonderful film!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, this film is sounding better and better! I don't know when it opens here, but it may be one worth seeing in the theatre to get the full experience, for sure.
    Has anyone seen this in 3D yet? Hopefully I'll get around to seeing it in the next couple of weeks.
    QBranch wrote:
    Has anyone seen this in 3D yet? Hopefully I'll get around to seeing it in the next couple of weeks.

I saw the film in 3D and that is the only way to go. I was delighted with the film and thought it was very very good. Who would dare watch this film on DVD? Certain films are made for the BIG screen (Avatar comes to mind) and this is one of them.
    That's exactly the response I was looking for. Every now and then a movie comes out where you think 'if I miss the cinema release, I won't be happy', and this Gravity seems like one of those films.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 5,767
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    QBranch wrote:

I saw the film in 3D and that is the only way to go. I was delighted with the film and thought it was very very good. Who would dare watch this film on DVD? Certain films are made for the BIG screen (Avatar comes to mind) and this is one of them.
    QBranch wrote:
    That's exactly the response I was looking for. Every now and then a movie comes out where you think 'if I miss the cinema release, I won't be happy', and this Gravity seems like one of those films.
    Don´t think that I want to spoil your fun @QBranch, but I didn´t find too much difference between 2D and 3D. But that could well be down to the projections in the respective cinemas. I noticed that 3D looks a lot better on my pal´s 3D tv than in any cinema, and in different cinemas it again looks different one from the other.
    What I´m tryin´ to say is, go for it ;-)!

I've got my tickets booked for the IMAX next month :-)
    A good film. Far more entertaining than Moonraker.
  • DB5DB5
    I just saw it this afternoon, in 3D, on an IMAX screen, the only way to see this film! I'm not exaggerating when I say this is one of the best movies I've ever seen! It's 90 minutes of non-stop chills and thrills. I definitely recommend it!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm curious about this film, heard so many good things about it. I might see it today if I can get a ticket. If so, stay tuned for a review.
    CrabKey wrote:

Can these two films be legitimately compared, I wonder...

/:)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I just came back from watching it. I can only say it's probably the most exciting film experience of my life, I can't even find the words to describe it. I loved it, five star, amazing story, amazing acting, amazing sound/soundtrack, amazing effects (by Chris Corbould's brother Neil), amazing everything. Leave everything and go watch it!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DarthDimi wrote:
    CrabKey wrote:

Can these two films be legitimately compared, I wonder...

/:)

Well, I find Jaws to be far more exciting than The incredible Mr. Limpet ;)

Sandy wrote:
    I just came back from watching it. I can only say it's probably the most exciting film experience of my life, I can't even find the words to describe it. I loved it, five star, amazing story, amazing acting, amazing sound/soundtrack, amazing effects (by Chris Corbould's brother Neil), amazing everything. Leave everything and go watch it!

Wow, @Sandy. That's an impressive imperative if ever I received one. ;-)