Timothy Dalton May Be Batman's Butler Alfred In 'Superman \V/ Batman'

edited September 2013 in Actors Posts: 5,745
The Guardian has shuffled along a rumor from Cosmic Book Movie blog that Timothy Dalton is a favorite by the production team on the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film to take the role of Alfred, butler to the Big Bat.

Again, it is a speculative rumor based on the ever-obscure 'sources' the good people at the Cosmic Book Movie blog seem to have. It should be known that the blog was one of the first to accurately claim Ben Affleck would don the Bat-suit (which turned out true), so you could assume the same sources are slipping out this rumor.

Michael Caine, the exiting Butler in the latest installments in the Batman franchise, has expressed interest in continuing the role if they'd have him.

How do you feel about the most bad-ass Bond taking the backseat (or front seat, I guess) to the playboy life, and taking care of the Batman? Is there any foundation to the rumor? How Shakespearean can a butler get?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/03/bryan-cranston-man-of-steel-sequel

art-james-bond-timothy-dalton-getty.jpg
Dalton around 2012-2013

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It will ensure me lining up for this movie.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Can't this be discussed, as it already has been, here?

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7303/batman-vs-superman-2015-when-the-actual-title-comes-out-mods-can-change-it

Great news though, if this does happen. Hopefully something to discuss appears soon.
    It could, but this thread is actually Bond related.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    this thread is actually Bond related.
    Agreed. Especially if (Dalton's) Alfred kicks some villain arse himself!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Can't this be discussed, as it already has been, here?

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7303/batman-vs-superman-2015-when-the-actual-title-comes-out-mods-can-change-it

Great news though, if this does happen. Hopefully something to discuss appears soon.

Good call, Sam! But perhaps we can allow this to talk about Dalton's return to screens after a long time off. ;-)

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    What a shame, he really could have been Bond into the 2000's
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Considering Alfred has an SAS background in some versions/continuities of the character, it would be amazing to see Tim and Ben in a scene that read something like this:

Setting: Batcave

[Alfred is bandaging Bruce up after another hard night]

Alfred: "I must commend you on your absolutely uncanny attraction for danger, Master Bruce. Last week it was a broken nose, last night a pulled muscle, and tonight a cracked rib. What does the weekend have in store for us? A concussion?"

Bruce: "Very funny, Alfred. No, it should be-Ow! Dammit Alfred, don't fasten the bandage too tight; I've still gotta be able to breathe."

Alfred: "Believe me, Master Bruce, when I say that you are not the first man I have had to put back together, nor will this be the last time I must disinfect your cuts or treat a puncture wound you'd managed to acquire. At this going rate I am almost certain that at some point in the future I may have to knock you out before you go under the knife, as I do believe the expression goes here."

Bruce [pausing to stare at Alfred, smiling]: "Yeah, my father told me about your past, uh... "experience" with this sort of thing."

Alfred: "Quite, sir. Quite."

Bruce: "The SAS, right?"

Alfred: "Something to that affect, correct, sir. I am still not deemed by my government to share some of the more covert parts of my past work."

Bruce: "They probably sent you on a bunch of undercover missions. I bet you've seen enough blood for a lifetime. Witnessed enough senseless killing to make you restless at night. Had to deal with the guilt of having someone die in your arms."

Alfred: "Yes, that and far more...I lost most of my best friends during my time in the service. Being in places you don't recognize doing things you feel guilty for doing, you begin to make fast friends with your squad mates when you realize that you are all facing the same pain and adversary. After all, it is during the moments of your greatest separation from all you find familiar that you desire to have another beside you to be scared with. But, as much horror as I had seen up to that point, I stayed planted in the service. Much like you I felt I had a duty to protect what my country stood for, and through association, my squad mates who stood for much the same set of principles. It was never an easy experience, and I did lose plenty of sleep over it all, but our life's trials make us who we are, Bruce. Now, that doesn't mean they define us. No, only we can do that for ourselves. But it is what we are faced with every single moment of our lives that make us adapt to what is around us; make us stronger for surviving them and having enough sense to look back and learn from it all. Now, in your case, you will have more on your plate than you can stand. You'll question more than you'll openly admit why you don this cape and cowl and go prancing about the rooftops every night, and at times you may waver in your judgement and wonder what good this fight is if crime rates haven't changed for the better in years. But on the days where you are the only thing between men like the Joker and a defenseless woman and her child, an unarmed man in alleyway, or even the most demanding times when the whole of Gotham's fate rests upon your shoulders and you are determined to make that difference, to do what is right, then you can never truly fail. I see it in your eyes, Master Bruce. It's that same look I had as a lad, and it's not something you can ever truly lose as long as you keep that fervor in your bones and hope in your heart. You want to make a difference more than anything. You've got the stubbornness to never give in, and the judgement to know when you can't handle a fight alone, which is why I'm here. You see, if you are dedicated to this mission, then now, so am I."

Bruce: "You, Alfred?"

Alfred: "Well of course, Master Bruce. Long ago your father confided in me when your mother was just months along in her pregnancy that whatever came of him, her, or the family fortune, I was to look after his child, and protect them from harm. Without hesitation, I promised him with duty in my heart. And while looking back on that day seems ominous considering the tragic events that followed, that promise stands to this day, and I have no intention of ever breaking it, no matter how many bones of yours I have to set or bruises I must nurse. I know you may think your father would be worried of you, risking your life out there in the very world that took him away from you, but I do think he'd be proud of you. You may take your kicks, and don't grin, you truly will get beaten down sometimes. You will be beaten, you will even feel a taste of failure in your weakest moments, but let me tell you something, son: seeing your commitment to this journey, your care for the innocents of Gotham, and your ability to give every last ounce of yourself to make sure not another child faces the same cold reality of tragedy as you have would make your father more proud than you could ever imagine. And while this path is not the safest, and certainly far more dangerous than your so-called day job at Wayne Enterprises, this is your choice, and as long as you follow your heart and are able to lean on others to help you through your most trying times, you could never shame your father, not once."

Bruce: "Thanks, Alfred. So, you'll always be here for me?"

Alfred: "Always."

[short pause]

Plus, the way I look at it, I continue to get free room and board at this fancy mansion if I stick around."

[both men share a laugh]

Bruce : "Stop making me laugh, Alfred. My ribs need to heal first! [giggling]"

Alfred [smiling]: "My sincerest apologies, Master Bruce. Now that we've got you all fixed up, what do you say we leave these bats to their slumber and get ourselves some nice eggs and toast?"

Bruce: "Deal."

[Both men head to the exit of the Batcave, feeling closer in this moment than ever before, and looking like a father walking side by side his son as they return once again to Wayne Manor]

[end of scene]

What happened to Michael Caine? No Bale, no Caine? :(
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    This might be quite cool, but somehow I can't really see it happening. Would Dalton want to be involved in a role that big at this point in his life?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Why not? Look at Liam Neeson; not to mention Dalton is both old abd young enough to credibly assume the role for multiple movies.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Why not? Look at Liam Neeson; not to mention Dalton is both old abd young enough to credibly assume the role for multiple movies.

True, he would make quite a good Alfred but I won't be entirely convinved until I see it confirmed.
  • Well, it'd be the first time Alfred is way cooler than Batman.
    Gunbarrel wrote:
    Well, it'd be the first time Alfred is way cooler than Batman.

I prefer Michael Caine every day over Bale, so imho the butler was cooller once before. ;)
    Germanlady wrote:

Nolan apparently made it clear that his Batman trilogy is finished and shan't be continued in any way or form. I think he's very protective of his three Batman films, fearing that any further spin-offs, cross-overs and whatnot could only dilute the quality of the trilogy. Like you I too am a bit sad that we won't see the continuation of his wonderful world, yet on the other hand I can see where he's coming from.

Despite his involvement in Man Of Steel, Nolan right from the start acknowledged that this new world building will happen completely disconnected from the Dark Knight films. Therefore any new Batman material included in Snyder's films will have nothing to do with Bale's Batman.

My two cents? Nolan doesn't want to gamble away the success of the Dark Knight trilogy he's laboured so hard to reach. And seeing how poorly Warner has handled some of its superhero stuff in the past, I think he's made the right choice. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If Lucius Fox appears, who should play him? Plus, there's a potential recasting of Bane, the Joker, Catwomen, ect. to contend with. All these choices would be hard pushed to top what Nolan did, in my opinion. So it's not just Michael Caine we're losing.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If Lucius Fox appears, who should play him?

Good question. I assume we can agree on keeping him black like the original character and somewhere around 45 - 50 ? (giving Morgan a big compliment... ;-)) Don Cheadle perhaps? Jeffrey Wright?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2013 Posts: 7,314
    DarthDimi wrote:
    My two cents? Nolan doesn't want to gamble away the success of the Dark Knight trilogy he's laboured so hard to reach. And seeing how poorly Warner has handled some of its superhero stuff in the past, I think he's made the right choice. ;-)
    I agree. I would prefer Nolan's trilogy to exist solely in it's own universe and I think he's earned that right. He resurrected a franchise that was in serious need of a makeover after the dreadful Batman and Robin. He told his story and now it's finished. He gave Batman a very bright future. Now it's time for someone else to share their vision without the constraint of having to link it with Nolan's.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I still don't have much faith in this film but I've decided that if Dalton is in the movie I'll go and see it.

It'd be an added bonus if Bryan Cranston turns out to be in it too.
    Germanlady wrote:

Reboot. Whole new cast. Don't know why you're sad about this, I know how much you love Dalton ;)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Nolan apparently made it clear that his Batman trilogy is finished and shan't be continued in any way or form. I think he's very protective of his three Batman films, fearing that any further spin-offs, cross-overs and whatnot could only dilute the quality of the trilogy. Like you I too am a bit sad that we won't see the continuation of his wonderful world, yet on the other hand I can see where he's coming from.

Despite his involvement in Man Of Steel, Nolan right from the start acknowledged that this new world building will happen completely disconnected from the Dark Knight films. Therefore any new Batman material included in Snyder's films will have nothing to do with Bale's Batman.

Still, I would rather see someone talented and skilled build on Nolan's Batman (even if it means retconning at some point) in the same tone and using the same approach than starting from scratch.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Good question. I assume we can agree on keeping him black like the original character and somewhere around 45 - 50 ? (giving Morgan a big compliment... ;-)) Don Cheadle perhaps? Jeffrey Wright?

How about Clarke Peters?
  • Ludovico wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

How about Clarke Peters?

That's an inspired shout @Ludovico =D>
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,441
    Ted Danson (CSI) as James Gordon and Judi Dench as Barbara Gordon.

james_gordon1.jpg

1357919-13_1.jpg
  • M_Balje wrote:

Blimey! Even by your usual standards @M_Balje that's knocked me back.

Does that mean Ted would be Judi's toyboy? ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    M_Balje wrote:

james_gordon1.jpg

1357919-13_1.jpg

Yes, because having Gordon's daughter being older than him makes absolutely perfect sense. You bemuse me day in and day out, @M_Balje. The Joker has nothing upon your logic. ;)
    Have you seen Batman Beyond @Brady? If they do a Beyond film, Judi Dench would make a terrific Gordon. Of course it might be very similar to an M role
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Have you seen Batman Beyond @Brady? If they do a Beyond film, Judi Dench would make a terrific Gordon. Of course it might be very similar to an M role
    Of course! My childhood was founded upon the DC Animated Universe! ;)
    I still don't have much faith in this film but I've decided that if Dalton is in the movie I'll go and see it.

It'd be an added bonus if Bryan Cranston turns out to be in it too.
    Germanlady wrote:

Reboot. Whole new cast. Don't know why you're sad about this, I know how much you love Dalton ;)

lol -no Royale, I have nothing against the man as such, just don't like him as Bond.But I thought, Caine was brilliant and he has that certain something, that Dalton always lacked in my book.
    Dalton would probarly be the only redeeming thing about the batman vs superman film if this was true
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I wouldn't mind seeing Dalton as Alfred. The Guy still looks good in a tux.
    Germanlady wrote:

Have you seen The Dark Knight Rises?