Calvin Dyson Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Murdock wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Goldeneye in 1995 seemed to be what Skyfall was in 2012. A 'crowd-pleaser' Bond film and more excessible than what came before it. Both even have a very vocal group of Bond fans who consider them overrated.

Calvin seems like a decent chap and its his "hysteria" that makes his reviews entertaining - even if he seems to borrow a bit from TheGuyWithTheGlasses.

I think Calvin is more sophisticated. ;)

When it comes to Bond reviews yes I agree. He specialies in them whereas TGWTG does not ;)
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 135
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I enjoy his reviews for sure but I wouldn't go as far as calling him an integral part of Bond fandom. ;-)
    Whilst I agree with you- Mr. Dyson is certainly enjoyable- I believe you're wrong. Mr. Dyson sustains fan interest in these dry,d ry periods between the EON Productions.
  • BigGayIslandBigGayIsland Banned
    Yes yes YES!!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,529
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I enjoy his reviews for sure but I wouldn't go as far as calling him an integral part of Bond fandom. ;-)
    Whilst I agree with you- Mr. Dyson is certainly enjoyable- I believe you're wrong. Mr. Dyson sustains fan interest in these dry,d ry periods between the EON Productions.

@Richardo, I believe you're overestimating his impact. Not all Bond fans spend time on the Internet and those that do don't all know this man. There are other reviewers out there too, there's the occasional book by some Bond fan or another, YouTube is flooded with fan made stuff, there are Bond magazines with issues coming out on a regular basis, even in these "dry periods". Again, I'm not saying he isn't a valuable asset in our struggle against interfilm boredom, but - quote - an integral part of Bond fandom - unquote - seems a few steps too far IMO.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

@Richardo, I believe you're overestimating his impact. Not all Bond fans spend time on the Internet and those that do don't all know this man. There are other reviewers out there too, there's the occasional book by some Bond fan or another, YouTube is flooded with fan made stuff, there are Bond magazines with issues coming out on a regular basis, even in these "dry periods". Again, I'm not saying he isn't a valuable asset in our struggle against interfilm boredom, but - quote - an integral part of Bond fandom - unquote - seems a few steps too far IMO.
    On one hand, I agree with you completely, but on the other hand, I disagree with you completely. Hear me thus: Mr. Dyson is the stuff of Quintessential Brittania and anyone who argues likewise is in my good book. There are other reviewers there are other books, but none so essential as Mr. Dyson's forays into the field. I have not seen any magazines for the fandom. I perceive it as such that you may be grudging against Mr. Dyson; that is yours to carry, and albeit. I will say now that it will be a la David and Goliath. Therefore, my conclusion is obvious.
    Yes yes YES!!!

Oh, why did you have to join my thread...
    That's the end of this discussion now, folks. Let's just wait for Marshall to join us...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes yes YES!!!

That's the end of this discussion now, folks. Let's just wait for Marshall to join us...

Don't worry @StirredNotShaken he will be gone soon. Like all the other trolls who have invaded. It's been peaceful for at least 3 months so It was bound to happen again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    Yes yes YES!!!

Don't worry @StirredNotShaken he will be gone soon. Like all the other trolls who have invaded. It's been peaceful for at least 3 months so It was bound to happen again.

Yes, I wonder when the tasteless picture posting will begin again?
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,529
    Richardo wrote:
    On one hand, I agree with you completely, but on the other hand, I disagree with you completely. Hear me thus: Mr. Dyson is the stuff of Quintessential Brittania and anyone who argues likewise is in my good book. There are other reviewers there are other books, but none so essential as Mr. Dyson's forays into the field. I have not seen any magazines for the fandom. I perceive it as such that you may be grudging against Mr. Dyson; that is yours to carry, and albeit. I will say now that it will be a la David and Goliath. Therefore, my conclusion is obvious.

Try the following magazine:
    http://mi6confidential.com/issue_21.php?utm_source=mi6-hq.com&utm_medium=newsbox1&utm_campaign=issue21

As for the line I put in bold, clearly you wish to provoke. Why would I hold a grudge against him? I respect this man. And he provides me with entertaining YouTube videos. That doesn't make him essential to the fanbase though. I'm not saying the man doesn't excel in what he does but you lift him to something that, were it absent all of a sudden, would keep the Bond engine from running for a while. I don't worship him the way you do. He's not on EON's payroll, he's not the guy who makes it happen on screen. He's just a guy like you and me and he enjoys talking about Bond. That makes him all right in my book. But he isn't God. The way you play it out, it sounds like you walk around with a "Mr Dyson" tattoo on your arm. He may one day make it in the big film business; I know he's already made a short film that was well received. And when he does, I will celebrate him. But you need to put things in perspective; there's not a Calvin Dyson poster next to Connery's and Craig's on the average Bond fan's wall yet. ;-)

• edited August 2013 Posts: 2,400
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

http://mi6confidential.com/issue_21.php?utm_source=mi6-hq.com&utm_medium=newsbox1&utm_campaign=issue21

As for the line I put in bold, clearly you wish to provoke. Why would I hold a grudge against him? I respect this man. And he provides me with entertaining YouTube videos. That doesn't make him essential to the fanbase though. I'm not saying the man doesn't excel in what he does but you lift him to something that, were it absent all of a sudden, would keep the Bond engine from running for a while. I don't worship him the way you do. He's not on EON's payroll, he's not the guy who makes it happen on screen. He's just a guy like you and me and he enjoys talking about Bond. That makes him all right in my book. But he isn't God. The way you play it out, it sounds like you walk around with a "Mr Dyson" tattoo on your arm. He may one day make it in the big film business; I know he's already made a short film that was well received. And when he does, I will celebrate him. But you need to put things in perspective; there's not a Calvin Dyson poster next to Connery's and Craig's on the average Bond fan's wall yet. ;-)

Ahem, well... I'll have to get on that then.
    I will invite Marshall back on here when he is of age! And not a day sooner!!

How many times do I gotta repeat this?? Speak up darling I can't hear you! :))

No. Shut up.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

While he's a very entertaining bloke I think it's worth remembering that he's admitted he's only read a few of the Fleming books. Thus his knowledge of Bond is probably weaker than a lot of people on here. He just happens to be very talented when it comes to film production. Whether you like him or not Haphazard probably has a more detailed understanding of the full character and history.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

While he's a very entertaining bloke I think it's worth remembering that he's admitted he's only read a few of the Fleming books. Thus his knowledge of Bond is probably weaker than a lot of people on here. He just happens to be very talented when it comes to film production. Whether you like him or not Haphazard probably has a more detailed understanding of the full character and history.

Yeah but the one big difference between Calvin and Haphazard is the Calvin entertains whilst Haphazard is like listening to paint dry.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yeah but the one big difference between Calvin and Haphazard is the Calvin entertains whilst Haphazard is like listening to paint dry.

I agree that Calvin is a lot more lively compared to Haphazard. I was just pointing out that in terms of actual Bond knowledge Haphazard is superior.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 151
    I always look forward to the next review from Calvin or videos from David Zaritsky's bond experience They both certainly filled the gap for me waiting for Skyfall to be released.
  • I like them both. Dyson and Haphazard. They are both entertaining reviewers.

Only thing that puts me off Dyson is the overuse of Charles Gray's Rocky Horror picture show clip EVERY time Charles Gray is mentioned.

Haphazard is quality!

DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

I am jealous of Mr. Dyson's extreme charm- he is British; bottled. Perhaps I have misjudged you, @Darth. Perhaps you are not as jealous as I.

If one is not jealous of Mr. Dyson, who has appeared in videos and is well on his way, then one has sheerly underestimated his talent. I will relish the day, nay the year, whereupon Mr. Dyson graces a Bond poster alongside Connery, and Craig, and whatnot.
  • Yes yes YES!!!

:)) I said the same thing to myself when he showed up in my originals thread! Thankfully his most recent comment was eliminated, it was completely inappropriate and lacking in class and we don't want nor welcome spammers and trolls there.
    Murdock wrote:
    Yes yes YES!!!

Let's hope this is so, in as short of an order as possible. The multiple personalities alone are reason for the mods to start the proceedings. IFM brother, IFM.

The second part of Calvin's "cross-over" review of MR is up. It mentions DAD and is actually quite kind to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ygX2UseG1UE
  • I haven't seen most of his videos but the reviews I did watch were entertaining. He's funny.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Not a fan I am afraid. Rather hysterical and another one who worships at the altar of GE.

overratted, much like GE.

I think Haphazard is much more overrated. I know he's popular on here but he bores me to death.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Richardo wrote:

Looks like I forgot to laugh. (:|
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 135
    Looks like my comment in response was deleted. :(

To reiterate: I apologize if the video is not to your tastes, but I found it personally delightful. It is also connected to the world of Bond.
  • oo7oo7
    I don't really care for peoples reviews of bond films. This guys videos just seem to cater to a bunch of people who want the spark notes version of the older films.
    as for this thread I don't see much merit in reviewing people who review films. this board is primarily about James Bond with slight deviations for this thread to have gone into a second page seems a bit crazy.
    if you like him stick with him if you don't, ignore it. don't clog up the front page with this type of drivel
    Dont even reply to this, so we can be sure it floats safely to its grave
    Well, I will reply. People (including me) enjoy Calvin and would like to talk about him. I could just as easily argue that, say... a thread about different runtimes for Skyfall or, possibly, an entire thread dedicated to one Moore appearance on O&A are just as useless.

You may not care for Calvin, but please, don't insult me or the thread in order to express that opinion. Thanks.
    Richardo wrote:

To reiterate: I apologize if the video is not to your tastes, but I found it personally delightful. It is also connected to the world of Bond.

That's because, @Richardo, we don't want to learn about you touching yourself or whatever.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

That's because, @Richardo, we don't want to learn about you touching yourself or whatever.
    Excuse me? My comment said nothing of the sort.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Time to use the IFM here I think !.
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

You're right. I apologise. It was this:
    Richardo wrote:
    I haven't stopped raping the play button

DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Richardo wrote:

That is common parlance. What of posts such as these that commit the same offense?

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/238122#Comment_238122

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/220151#Comment_220151
  • RC7RC7
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Richardo wrote:

That is common parlance. What of posts such as these that commit the same offense?

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/238122#Comment_238122

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/220151#Comment_220151

Common Parlance? Moron.