Calvin Dyson Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MrBond wrote:
    Hate him. His opinions on certain films are laughable and his hysterical, OTT style is incredibly annoying.

"Hate" is a rather strong word.

Seconded. Can we try to simply disagree (when appropriate) without hating one another?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It seems Calvin is becoming famous. According to his Facebook he was recognised on the tube by a fellow fan who shook his hand.

All well and good gallivanting around town on the tube Mr Dyson but isn't it about time you out some more vids up old chap?

After all, now that you've become famous, your time is no longer your own. You have a duty to your public! ;)

All kidding aside, I enjoy Calvin's postings even when I don't agree with his opinion. I only hope he can come up with some interesting new topics...after one goes through "Best Girls" "Best Villains" and "Best Henchmen" the going gets a little shaky. "Best Theme," sure, "Best Gadget," okay, but then what? I don't really care about the video games, and even less about the James Bond Jr. cartoons. "What's next?" is the bane of all creative types I suppose...
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I suggested to him he should do a Q based video charting his thoughts on the character's history and various incarnations. He mentions it as a "future project" in his re-done Goldfinger review.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I enjoy Calvin's videos so much! It doesn't matter if I don't completely agree with everything, I have a lot of fun watching his videos.
  • Even though Calvin's opinions are basically the antithesis of mine, his reviews are superb and great to watch!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,808
    I've seen a few of his reviews but I really do need to watch more of them than I have to date. I especially like the DAF one where he dissed the owners of the salt-mine grinder who refused to have it used in the film. Very funny indeed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've seen a few of his reviews but I really do need to watch more of them than I have to date. I especially like the DAF one where he dissed the owners of the salt-mine grinder who refused to have it used in the film. Very funny indeed.

A real shame, that. A finale ending face off with Bond and Blofeld in close quarters combat near the salt mines may have saved that film from the utter tripe it became. Ah well...
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,808
    Dragonpol wrote:

A real shame, that. A finale ending face off with Bond and Blofeld in close quarters combat near the salt mines may have saved that film from the utter tripe it became. Ah well...

Indeed. The oil rig finale was something of a damp squib. It seems to me that DAF simply misfires as a James Bond film on just about every level possible.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dragonpol wrote:

Maybe if it was Connery vs. Savalas. Connery against Charles Gray would be very outmatched. Sean would snap him like a twig.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Maybe if it was Connery vs. Savalas. Connery against Charles Gray would be very outmatched. Sean would snap him like a twig.

I'm glad Savalas left. He was the only Blofeld to see his full onscreen potential, and he thankfully got in and out of there fast before the character's ship sunk for good in DAF with no signs of returning.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The oil rig finale was something of a damp squid.

You disappoint me Mr Dragonpol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4799157/Damp-Squid-The-top-10-misquoted-phrases-in-Britain.html
    New vid:

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, now I want one of those... Calvin's so funny.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,808
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The oil rig finale was something of a damp squid.

You disappoint me Mr Dragonpol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4799157/Damp-Squid-The-top-10-misquoted-phrases-in-Britain.html

Yes, sorry Ice. I'm usually the pedantic one, aren't I? It must've been a long day or something...but don't worry I'll not do an "Alan Partridge" and try to justify it!

I beg your forgiveness.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I was wondering if any of you fellow die hard Bond fans have a Golden Gun replica? I would die for one, they are so beautiful...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Calvins videos are tremendous fun.

I often find myself disagreeing with him but anyone who comes out and says TB bores him to buggery and back is fine in my book.

Glad to hear that others share this view. I've always found it a very weak and boring entry, right from the bizarre and OTT opening sequence. Have never had any time for it. It ranks alongside DAF for me as Connery's weakest. At the same time I cannot understand the drubbing that YOLT sometimes gets - I love it.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Interesting how many people find TB boring. Last time I watched it I thought it was a bit dull but the Connery film I've always found quite boring is DN.

1) Goldfinger
    2) From Russia With Love
    3) You Only Live Twice
    4) Thunderball
    5) Dr No
    6) Diamonds Are Forever
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I've always found Diamonds to be the dullest of Connery's films by quite some distance. As most of it is played for laughs there is little tension to be gained. I've said before its the sort of film you have on in the background but don't actually watch.

It's dated horribly too.

Twice is decent enough despite Connery going through the motions a bit.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I too find Thunderball a great bore, hence it being low in my ranking.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TB isn't boring for me, although the under water scenes do drag but other than that, it's a top tier Bond movie.
    Interesting how many people find TB boring. Last time I watched it I thought it was a bit dull but the Connery film I've always found quite boring is DN.

1) Goldfinger
    2) From Russia With Love
    3) You Only Live Twice
    4) Thunderball
    5) Dr No
    6) Diamonds Are Forever

DN is a little slow at times. But there is so much in it to love. Speaking of which, when are they going to return to Jamaica? It's long overdue. I'm surprised Jamaica didn't form some part of the 40 and 50 year celebrations/references (not that I approve of that kind of thing).
    Getafix wrote:

1) Goldfinger
    2) From Russia With Love
    3) You Only Live Twice
    4) Thunderball
    5) Dr No
    6) Diamonds Are Forever

DN is a little slow at times. But there is so much in it to love. Speaking of which, when are they going to return to Jamaica? It's long overdue. I'm surprised Jamaica didn't form some part of the 40 and 50 year celebrations/references (not that I approve of that kind of thing).

Yes, given how many times Ian Fleming used it as a location it's surprising that it wasn't used at least a bit more.
  • His TB hate does occasionally make me want to smack him, though. >:/

I never quite understood why people dislike TB.
  • His TB hate does occasionally make me want to smack him, though. >:/

Speaking strictly for myself, it's interminably plodding (the underwater scenes don't help here), and Bond never truly seems to be in danger, save the scenes with Fiona Volpe. The plot and characters seem a bit cliched; the box-ticking phenomenon that Brosnan gets criticized for was in full effect in Thunderball.

Regarding You Only Live Twice, it's very silly, and the script is practically Swiss Cheese, but I just love the over-the-top setting and plot and atmosphere too much. Diamonds is a pretty all right movie, save the villain, Bond, and the Bond girl (in the latter case, in the latter half).
    His TB hate does occasionally make me want to smack him, though. >:/

Speaking strictly for myself, it's interminably plodding (the underwater scenes don't help here), and Bond never truly seems to be in danger, save the scenes with Fiona Volpe. The plot and characters seem a bit cliched; the box-ticking phenomenon that Brosnan gets criticized for was in full effect in Thunderball.

Regarding You Only Live Twice, it's very silly, and the script is practically Swiss Cheese, but I just love the over-the-top setting and plot and atmosphere too much. Diamonds is a pretty all right movie, save the villain, Bond, and the Bond girl (in the latter case, in the latter half).

Totally agree. TB has always been a dud for me, while I've always loved YOLT.

I like you comment about DAF. "Diamonds is a pretty all right movie, save the villain, Bond, and the Bond girl " - what does that leave over? ;)

I remember doing a double-bill of TB and TND a couple of years ago and, despite the sillier moments, TB came out as the clear winner. Although the film was silly it just seemed the classier of the two for me. TB embraces its glamorous locations to the full and takes its time for the story to develop. The viewer almost feels they are at the Bahamas with Bond going on the adventure. I don't get that feeling with Dies, its just a standard light-weight Bond flick with some entertaining scenes here and there.
    Bain, well obviously... TB dates from the classic era. Even though I'm not a big fan I'd always rate it above relative trash entries like TND.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I can't find anything majorly wrong in TB (except for Connery's scuba clothes), although it's never been one of my favourites. At least it has beautiful locations, great Bond girls, great soundtrack that make TND pale in comparison (for the record I actually quite like TND).
  • Getafix wrote:

Totally agree. TB has always been a dud for me, while I've always loved YOLT.

I like you comment about DAF. "Diamonds is a pretty all right movie, save the villain, Bond, and the Bond girl " - what does that leave over? ;)

I quite enjoy the score, the atmosphere, the henchmen, the Peter Franks fight, and Tiffany in the first half. But you're right, there's a reason it only makes it to #19 on my list.
  • My ratings of the Connery films (minus NSNA for this convo)

1. Goldfinger
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. From Russia with Love
    4. Diamonds are Forever
    5. Thunderball
    6. Dr. No
    DN at 6... ouch. Surely DAF has to come in last position?