Calvin Dyson Appreciation Thread

1235»

Comments

• No, don't get me wrong I like most of Dr. No, I just think most people hold in too much high-esteem because it's the first. Bits I get bored at and some bits are insanely bad. With Diamonds I can admit that there's not a point in the film that I'm bored or disinterested in it. I will take blatant bad jokes over being serious and it still being a joke like so many times in Dr. No.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Okay folks, this is veering away from the intention of this thread, and becoming yet another generic ranking discussion.
    Let's get it back on track please.
    Thanks.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote:
    Let's get it back on track please.
    Thanks.
    Calvin ROCKS. He should host a show on BBC already.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm so jealous. I'd love to have my own GoldenGun replica. But I'm happy I can make my own GoldenEye mines. 5 of them hehe. I'm happy for Calvin. It's not that often parents are willing to spend that much for their child.
    I'm in a facebook conversation with Calvin. He's an absolute joy to speak to and the fact that he's giving me, a fan on the other side of the planet, this much of his time is wonderful. Like him or not he's a great person.
    I am waiting patiently for his Everything or Nothing review.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I like Calvin. I've see all his videos. I think he is the number 1 Bond reviewer, in my opinion. I also like that he doesn't always have to think the same way of the franchise. Because that what you do sometimes, you can change your mind or start liking or disliking things. I like that he is honest about his opinions and when they change throughout his reviews.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thanks @Murdock, as always, very enjoyable stuff from Calvin.
    awesome I enjoyed the Vlog
    Dyson's new vid:
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Dyson's new vid:

Glad he put the FYEO gunbarrel at no.2. Great stuff, as always.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    I don't agree about the stand. Dalton has the best one! Bros doesn't look he is shooting at all, more as if he is just turning around. The force of the bullet and the heat of the moment should have some sort of impact on your position.

But the only realisitc one is sir Roger's. You can't shoot with only one hand! ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Not a bad list overall except for DAD's inclusion. The CGI bullet is cute? Oh Calvin. I do like how he said that it seems like Simmons heard a loud noise and it made him jump and shoot on impulse though.
    jobo wrote: »
    But the only realisitc one is sir Roger's. You can't shoot with only one hand! ;)
    Tell that to Harry Callahan.

chrisisall wrote: »
    Tell that to Harry Callahan.

I did, and he admitted I was right. He said he did it with one hand for the benifit of the audience, and that the gun is not really loaded... ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I do enjoy his you tube videos.
    You can't shoot with only one hand! ;)
    Got a guy working on our house right now who's also an owner of many guns & he says you so CAN shoot with one hand- two hands is better for repeated firing though.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080

New Thunderball review up.

Although I do disagree with many of his views (I don't think Thunderball is that bad), I am pleased to see that, like me, he doesn't feel obliged to lather the Connery films with excessive praise and look back at them with rose-tint glasses, or to put four or five of his films in our top ten lists (in fact, we both put only one Connery film in our top tens, FRWL for me and GF for Calvin). Good on him!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Three Connery films in my top ten. Certainly top six.
  • I don't think people feel obliged to praise the Connery era and put a few of those films in their top ten. I think people do that because the Connery era was actually, for the most part, really good. They weren't just great Bond films, they were in a lot of ways the original action films. They also introduced all the tropes, the traditional Bond elements we loved and the series was at the height of it's success/popularity during the Connery era.

I'm not sure how many Connery films are in my top ten (I think only one or two actually) but I think they're popular not because people look back on them with rose tinted glasses, but because they were great, groundbreaking, classic films.
    I wonder what January 7th's video will be Quantum of Solace the video Game I hope.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    I like Dyson and his reviews are fun as always. But I find it to be a paradox when he nitpicks Thunderball for every flaw with underdeveloped characters, plot inconsistencies and pacing issues, when we all know he is willing to defend similar weaknessees to the death in other Bond films. Bond films are about enjoyment and spectacle, not movie critic analyzis. And judging by Calvin's taste in Bond, he should know that better than anyone... if you catch my drift ;)

I do agree however when he says Thunderball gets an easy pass amongst Bond fans and critics alike. That would be my conclution too, although I don't think its even close to being among the worst in the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don't think people feel obliged to praise the Connery era and put a few of those films in their top ten. I think people do that because the Connery era was actually, for the most part, really good. They weren't just great Bond films, they were in a lot of ways the original action films. They also introduced all the tropes, the traditional Bond elements we loved and the series was at the height of it's success/popularity during the Connery era.

I'm not sure how many Connery films are in my top ten (I think only one or two actually) but I think they're popular not because people look back on them with rose tinted glasses, but because they were great, groundbreaking, classic films.

Absolootely. The first three were the best consecutive three ever so far.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,595

New Thunderball review up.

Although I do disagree with many of his views (I don't think Thunderball is that bad), I am pleased to see that, like me, he doesn't feel obliged to lather the Connery films with excessive praise and look back at them with rose-tint glasses, or to put four or five of his films in our top ten lists (in fact, we both put only one Connery film in our top tens, FRWL for me and GF for Calvin). Good on him!

I don't feel obliged and I am wearing no rose tinted specs and I don't shower them with excessive praise. I do, however, recognize excellent films when I see them.

Not that I have any problem with people who don't prefer Connery's films. Difference of opinions are welcome. I just don't think many users "love" the Connery films out of a sense of duty. I just think they're damn good films is why so many Bond fans hold them in such high regard.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Where's Dyson's On Her Majesty's Secret Service review? It's not on YouTube anymore.
  • RC7RC7
    JWPepper wrote: »
    Where's Dyson's On Her Majesty's Secret Service review? It's not on YouTube anymore.

May have had a cease and desist from EON. They're a bit funny like that.