Ben Whishaw comes out as gay; been married for a year.

2»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Wow, on MI6 I've seen borderline homophobia before, right here borderline homoantiphobia... in my own Roddenberryesque way I'd just congratulate the dude on his marriage & wish him well on it. :)>-
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Good for Ben, having the courage to do such a thing, and I only wish him and his partner well. It is a shame we still live in a time where people are at times afraid to be themselves, but Ben's action is yet another forward step in the right direction and a point of inspiration for others.
    I'm happy for him. I also respect his bravery; no matter how far we have come as people, it is still difficult to be respected when one is a little different. Whether it is being gay, or ones skin color, or beliefs. He has come out as who he is, knowing it can have an affect on his career as an actor, but on the other hand it could inspire others to be themselves as well. Bravo to him; and I wish him the best.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Congratulations to him. It was a brave thing for him to come out.
    Despite this news my long-standing crush on him still stands ;)
  • Of course, it was hinted at in SF, as the young, eager lad attempts to seduce Bond at an art gallery - a fairly typical pick-up venue, but the rude, homophobic Bond gives him short shrift. Yet Bond gets his comeuppance later on with saucy Silva, and finally resolves his issues with the death of M, so is happy to begin his new relationship with a male M in the very final scene. 'With pleasure M, with pleasure...'
  • RC7RC7
    Of course, it was hinted at in SF, as the young, eager lad attempts to seduce Bond at an art gallery - a fairly typical pick-up venue, but the rude, homophobic Bond gives him short shrift. Yet Bond gets his comeuppance later on with saucy Silva, and finally resolves his issues with the death of M, so is happy to begin his new relationship with a male M in the very final scene. 'With pleasure M, with pleasure...'

Brilliant.
    Of course, it was hinted at in SF, as the young, eager lad attempts to seduce Bond at an art gallery - a fairly typical pick-up venue, but the rude, homophobic Bond gives him short shrift. Yet Bond gets his comeuppance later on with saucy Silva, and finally resolves his issues with the death of M, so is happy to begin his new relationship with a male M in the very final scene. 'With pleasure M, with pleasure...'

I really hope this post isn't serious.

The reason Bond meets Q in the gallery is obvious; he's a spy. A key tenant of espionage fiction has always been the covert meetup between agents in discreet places, where the pair talk to each other in some kind of code.

Bond has a history of working with talent who are gay.

Peter Hunt was gay and so is John Logan and I'm sure there are many others.
  • RC7RC7
    He was being sarcastic, at least that's how I read it. It only works as sarcasm.
    As long as Daniel Craig doesn't come out. Having a gay Bond would be totally wrong!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    RC7 wrote:
    He was being sarcastic, at least that's how I read it. It only works as sarcasm.

Yes same here. I thought it was more than obvious actually.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    As long as Daniel Craig doesn't come out. Having a gay Bond would be totally wrong!

And why would that be? There is a difference between actor and character you know!

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And why would that be? There is a difference between actor and character you know!

Yeah look at Tom Cruise. :))

Murdock wrote:

Yeah look at Tom Cruise. :))

Whatever are you referring to @Murdoch? Tom Cruise is just the very definition of male heterosexuality. Just like me in fact.

Oh wait a moment............. ;-)
  • Congratulations on his year of marriage, shame people need to make such a fuss about it being a gay marriage even if its well intended. It's been tough historically for people to come out so it doesn't help when well intended people in these enlightened times perpetuate the situation by labelling gay people as being brave, courageous etc. Gay people are normal and its the homophobic people that are the ones that need the spotlight on them.

I hope they both have many happy years together.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2013 Posts: 1,257
    That was unexpected, granted I had no idea who he was before he was cast in Skyfall. I imagine it is quite a relief for him now that this is out in the open, at least I hope it is.

I'm hesitant to ask this question because it may take us too far off topic, but how is homosexually generally viewed in the UK, or England to be specific? Is it somewhat socially accepted?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would say it is widely accepted in the UK and is no problem.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I would say it is widely accepted in the UK and is no problem.

I would also add that it is surprisingly well accepted. Opposition to same sex marriage, for instance, has been fierce, but not to the level of hysteria we saw in France.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Congratulations to Ben and his husband.
    Truly shocking news, would never have seen this coming in a million years, what a turn up for the books etc etc.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 533
    I agree. As much as I like John Cleese generally, his attempt at following Llewellyn was rather like Robert Brown's pale imitation of Bernard Lee's M. Whitshaw's Q is more along the lines of Judi Dench's M in terms of something different yet good.

John Cleese was a joke in "THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH". On the other hand, I really enjoyed his performance as "Q" in "DIE ANOTHER DAY". I found it sharp and really funny.

Congratulations to Ben Whishaw on his recent marriage.
    He's lucky being part of the London media/theatre scene he will be in a tolerant section of society.

You cant say that about those poor beggers in Moscow/St Petersburg at the moment.