Ben Whishaw comes out as gay; been married for a year.

edited August 2013 in Actors Posts: 4,400
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2384165/Bond-star-marries-gay-partner--happy-proud.html

I'm really happy for Ben. He's a fantastic actor and pretty much stole the show in Skyfall, his Q was a great breath of fresh air.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,813
    Had no idea of any of this. Whishaw certainly kept that one quiet, though I suppose that it's nobody's business but his own, too. Good luck to him.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I'm happy for him. He's great as Q and I can't wait to see where they will take the character in the next films. There are so many possibilities. I hope he'll hold the role for a very long time to come.
  • It's odd thinking that he could easily be in the Bond series for over 50 years. In the unlikely and unfortunate event that the series were to end, he could even be the last Q. I guess that's what happens when you cast a 30 year old instead of a 50 year old.
    I'm happy for him. I was surprised how I enjoyed him as Q, as I was skeptical about his casting at first. Instead of trying to imitate or emulate Llewellyn, they did something very different with the character. Maybe it was the only way to go.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It's odd thinking that he could easily be in the Bond series for over 50 years. In the unlikely and unfortunate event that the series were to end, he could even be the last Q. I guess that's what happens when you cast a 30 year old instead of a 50 year old.

He was asked about this during Skyfall interviews and said "why not, it could happen". To have him here for the 100th anniversary would be truely remarkable.
    As I am gay too......I'm kinda sad :( . I guess....deep in my heart.....I always thought we could marry :-P.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I'm happy for him. I was surprised how I enjoyed him as Q, as I was skeptical about his casting at first. Instead of trying to imitate or emulate Llewellyn, they did something very different with the character. Maybe it was the only way to go.

I think that it certainly was the only way to go as John Cleese fell flat on his face as R/Q.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I think that it certainly was the only way to go as John Cleese fell flat on his face as R/Q.

I agree. As much as I like John Cleese generally, his attempt at following Llewellyn was rather like Robert Brown's pale imitation of Bernard Lee's M. Whitshaw's Q is more along the lines of Judi Dench's M in terms of something different yet good.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

It appears that @Dr_Yes we are agreeing yet again and I am writing much the same thing at the same time you are :)

Nothing against Cleese who I rank as a comedic genius, but if anything it proves that Desmond was irreplaceable as far as continuing his role in the same manner with a different actor. I'm not sour on Robert Brown as M, I think he did a decent job filling Lee's shoes and was really good in LTK, but these philosophies seemed to be a Cubby era decision regarding character continuity. It's not until Barb and Mike taking over that we see a change in this philosophy, which was a radical change to both M and Moneypenny as it pertained to the standard type of characterization. I'm not quite convinced yet that Whishaw is the right guy, but I am willing to see how he performs- the SF script didn't help him IMHO.

It's still hard to believe this was the same lovesick wannabe gangster Sidney in "Layer Cake". "Hello? Hello? Fook off then".
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I agree. As much as I like John Cleese generally, his attempt at following Llewellyn was rather like Robert Brown's pale imitation of Bernard Lee's M. Whitshaw's Q is more along the lines of Judi Dench's M in terms of something different yet good.

Agree with the pair of you. Reintroducing Major Boothroyd or indeed imitating Desmond's performance could only ever lead to failure. Going in a completely different direction was the only decision they could make.

The decision paid off beautifully though as I loved Whishaw's portrayal. Even Moneypenny's throw away comment about him being "too afraid to fly" gave depth to the character.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 14,839
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I think the problem with Cleese is that he was nearly parodic in TWINE and then in DAD he was just an imitation, which also has a parodic side. And they were not supposed to be the same person!

At first I wanted a Q more akin to the early Boothroyd, a kind of military type character, with a more distant relation with Bond than Llewellyn's Q had. Now I think the best way was probably casting Ben Whishaw. Because even a military type Q would have been to akin the Q of Llewellyn and would have brought comparisons.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Good for Ben! I wish him a happy married life. I think it's courageous of him to come out. I hope it gives other people some courage too. :-)

284559,xcitefun-congrats-4.jpg
    Good for him! He's a marvelous actor and I hope marriage works out for him. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the news, but looking back at how he played Q I suppose there was a tinge of flamboyance there. Nonetheless, it's great to see he's confident with his sexuality and in a happy marriage. Congrats, Ben!
    This is nothing short of a crying shame for his wife. I hope the divorce is quick and painless.

Much gay fan fiction a la Bond/Q has been written; this will only add fuel to the choir. Not that I mind, mind you.
    Richardo wrote:
    This is nothing short of a crying shame for his wife. I hope the divorce is quick and painless.

What the hell are you on about?! He's been married to his MALE partner for a year.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Richardo wrote:

Much gay fan fiction a la Bond/Q has been written; this will only add fuel to the choir. Not that I mind, mind you.

Go away Scottie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Richardo wrote:

@Richardo, again you prove to be nothing except provocative. If this is the best you can offer, why bother posting here anyway? In fact, perhaps you should find yourself another forum.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I'm thinking that BigGayIsland and his multiple personalities (such as his alleged "nephew" and penchant for trolling) might be an even more suitable candidate for dismissal.
    I'm thinking that BigGayIsland and his multiple personalities (such as his alleged "nephew" and penchant for trolling) might be an even more suitable candidate for dismissal.

Throw in BustedNRevealed and DBL07 to that list too!
  • I'm thinking that BigGayIsland and his multiple personalities (such as his alleged "nephew" and penchant for trolling) might be an even more suitable candidate for dismissal.

Yes, I believe the former is someone already on the mods radar and if both have been flagged, they'll be aware of the latter as well.

Yes, I believe the former is someone already on the mods radar and if both have been flagged, they'll be aware of the latter as well.

He's on my radar too... my predator drone's radar...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm very happy for Ben, what lovely news. I wish him happiness and the best of times in his marriage.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Me too Congrats Ben. Your a very welcome member of the Bond family now. :)
    I keep asking my partner if he wants to get married. He's not all that keen yet. Charming! I'll have to keep working my magic on him ;-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Ben was amazingly good in Layer Cake, which is the only other thing I have seen him in apart from Skyfall. I love his Q and look forward to him being part of the Bond series for years to come, I hope. I also hope that script gives him more credibility in the next one. I wish him all the best in his life.
    Ben was amazingly good in Layer Cake, which is the only other thing I have seen him in apart from Skyfall. I love his Q and look forward to him being part of the Bond series for years to come, I hope. I also hope that script gives him more credibility in the next one. I wish him all the best in his life.

How do you mean more credibility @4EverBonded?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I mean the script had him make some stupid error(s), not really showing him be the brilliant shining star I want Q to be. Silva outwitted him.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,813
    I mean the script had him make some stupid error(s), not really showing him be the brilliant shining star I want Q to be. Silva outwitted him.

Yes, I see now. Thanks. It seems Silva outwitted just about everyone.
    Richardo wrote:

What the hell are you on about?! He's been married to his MALE partner for a year.
    Forgive me. In the hustle and bustle of my morning routine, I must have misread.
    Murdock wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

Go away Scottie.
    Don't believe me? Check out: http://www.fanfiction.net/search.php?keywords=bond/q&ready=1&type=story

Also, I will ask; why the hostility? I haven't even met you, @Murdock. May we get off on a better foot, please?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Richardo wrote:

@Richardo, again you prove to be nothing except provocative. If this is the best you can offer, why bother posting here anyway? In fact, perhaps you should find yourself another forum.
    At your behest, I will exit the role of provocateur.
    Fairplay to him for being fearless and proud of who he is! Takes a lot of courage! Good on ya Ben!