New members - introduce yourself

Comments

• Fellow MI6 section members,

*007 reporting for duty.*

Been a 007 fan since 8 as my old man is a huge fan too.

See you guys around!

Alvin
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Welcome, @seamaster79! We have several members here who are 2nd generation Bond fans. Welcome, @teeritz (glad you wandered over to our place) and @JakeDelToro (a Benicio fan?) ;)

Check out the various threads, hope you enjoy yourself on this forum. By the way, I read AJB and CBn for years, but this is the only forum I've joined. I think we're a pretty good group; always some interesting discussion going on.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Yes, welcome indeed to all of our new members. This is the very best Bond forum on the net! I hope sincerely that you enjoy your time here.
  • Hi there. My name is Hugh, I'm 19 and I've been a fan of the films since the early 2000s. I still remember the time when where I would see the poster for Die Another Day be displayed around the town next to where I live during the film's release (although I would not see this film until a few years after its release).

My favourite Bond film is Licence to Kill, and my favourite Bond actor is Timothy Dalton. The theme to On Her Majesty's Secret Service is my favourite Bond theme of all time.

My interests outside of James Bond include Star Wars, the first two Terminator films, Monty Python, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Yellow Submarine and Thunderbirds (the television series, that is). I also enjoy the odd bit of music between the 1960s and 80s, particularly The Beatles, Duran Duran and a-ha to name a few.

I've been visiting the site before from time to time recently, with the thread for the Bond poster and image parodies during the lead-up to Skyfall being my main thread of interest. As time went on, I felt that it was time for me to sign up on to the site and, well, take one giant leap for mankind into the big world. So here I am.

I look forward to enjoying my time here and get to know you all well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Welcome on the boards @GoldenDalton89! I guess you'll make friends quickly here, as there are quite a few Daltonites around. Enjoy your stay!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @GoldenDalton89, welcome to the forums! Get comfortable and I hope you enjoy yourself here. It's nice to have you on board.
  • Thank you. :)
    Thank you. :)

Thank you for your eloquent maiden speech, sir. Welcome indeed, dear @GoldenDalton89! I hope you enjoy your time with us all here on MI6 Community.
  • Thank you @4EverBonded and @Dragonpol.

Alvin
    Thank you @4EverBonded and @Dragonpol.

Alvin

You're very welcome, Alvin.
    Welcome, @seamaster79! We have several members here who are 2nd generation Bond fans. Welcome, @teeritz (glad you wandered over to our place) and @JakeDelToro (a Benicio fan?) ;)

Check out the various threads, hope you enjoy yourself on this forum. By the way, I read AJB and CBn for years, but this is the only forum I've joined. I think we're a pretty good group; always some interesting discussion going on.

Best keep it here. I've been a member of both those (no more), and I can tell you MI6 is still the best, although I came to here late in the day! Better late than never, I suppose. I also post on BaB.
    Hey guys! Huge Bond fanatic here, 18 years old from Canada. My favourite Bond is Dalton, and accordingly I consider The Living Daylights to be the best film in the series. I was hooked on Bond off of the video games, and TWINE was the first film I saw. I've seen all the Bond films multiple times since and I love being a part of this fandom. For what it's worth, OHMSS is my favourite novel and GE64 is my favourite game. Chose my username for a reason: "stirred, not shaken" is of course the opposite of how Bond orders his favourite drink, and I chose it because many of my views and opinions are quite opposite to the popular consensus of the series (e.g. Dalton's the best, Brosnan's the worst, Goldfinger is overrated, etc.)

I hope to enjoy my time here and I'm glad to have finally taken the plunge and joined after lots of reading on this forum. I'm already quite familiar with some of the big names and frequent posters just from reading, and I hope to have many thoughtful discussions with all of you!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @StirredNotShaken, while I disagree with your views on Brosnan - he's my favorite - you'll find quite a few on here who will agree that Brosnan is the worst. Either way, welcome to the boards, we're happy to have you! Dive right in and start getting into the discussions.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 26
    Greetings. My name is Aaron, I'm 18 and I've been a fan of the films since the late 1990s. I have fond memories of my father purchasing the DVD sets, in all the packaging no less. He used to have them delivered to his workplace in Central London, before subsequently bringing them round to my uncle's place.

The first film I remember watching is A View To A Kill. I used to be a massive Moore fan, until I started reading the Bond novels. I appreciate the Moore films as standalone films, but as Bond films they lose their appeal.

My favourite Bond film is Licence to Kill, and my favourite Bond actor is Timothy Dalton - although pre-Goldfinger Sean Connery is a close second. The theme to On Her Majesty's Secret Service is my favourite Bond theme of all time.

My interests outside of James Bond include library music (especially from the Seventies and Eighties), sci-fi films and TV series, including Doctor Who, Star Trek and the Terminator film series. I'm also heavily interested in screenwriting and novels - as well as a wide range of films.

I've been visiting the site before from time to time recently, and have now signed up. I have decided to now reveal my true identity, especially on learning that Calvin Dyson is a fellow member.

As George Takei would say, 'Live long and prosper'.
    Aaron's post has made me realize I never mentioned my favourite Bond theme. It's my favourite piece of music ever put in a film, and it is of course the OHMSS instrumental theme.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Masswelcomemat.jpg

To all of our new members.
    Hello everyone !! I've been a 007 fan since I was a little kid and this website shows me that I'm not alone. If you can't find something to interest you here you're not trying. Thanks for having me !!!!!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We're happy to have you with us @beatle262.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Welcome to all new members!
    Welcome indeed!
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    I'm now a new member as such. I'm just a returning member. I'm known as Dragonpol2 now. There have been something technical issues with the Twitter sign-in app here on MI6 Community so I have created this (hopefully) temporary second account in the meantime.

--Dragonpol.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With that avatar and name it could only be you! Very thankful you're still with us @Dragonpol.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    With that avatar and name it could only be you! Very thankful you're still with us @Dragonpol.

Thank you for the warm welcome back, @Samuel001! Yes, I am quite a character! I'm glad to be back. It was a close-run thing there.
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum although not new to the MI6 site being a long time lurker.

Have been a Bond film fan for the last 30 years. Enjoy all the films in one way or another although some are definitely better than others. Roger's my favourite Bond actor as his films were the ones that seemed to be shown the most all those years ago and still remember being baffled as to who this Sean Connery bloke was the first time I saw him. Love reading/watching behind the scenes material and have recently been spending a lot of time listening to the film soundtracks.

I also have all the Fleming books but admittedly have only read Moonraker (I have the centennary box set and I dread taking a book out, reading it and then not being able to get it back in!).

Think that covers everything.
    jaydubya76 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum although not new to the MI6 site being a long time lurker.

Have been a Bond film fan for the last 30 years. Enjoy all the films in one way or another although some are definitely better than others. Roger's my favourite Bond actor as his films were the ones that seemed to be shown the most all those years ago and still remember being baffled as to who this Sean Connery bloke was the first time I saw him. Love reading/watching behind the scenes material and have recently been spending a lot of time listening to the film soundtracks.

I also have all the Fleming books but admittedly have only read Moonraker (I have the centennary box set and I dread taking a book out, reading it and then not being able to get it back in!).

Think that covers everything.

Hi @jaydubya76,

Great to have you here, friend.

MI6 is the best Bond site out there as far as I'm concerned so you've made the right choice there.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Dragonpol2
    I saw my first Bond film at age nine - and it was in a cinema. It was also possibly the first non-kiddie matinee movie I went to without a parent (but my younger brother went with me). That was "Live and Let Die"! My brother and I were familiar with Roger Moore from watching reruns of "The Saint" on TV prior to his Bond debut; I preferred "The Avengers", however. At first, we argued with our young friends that Moore was a better Bond than Connery - but I no longer think so. We were privileged to see all the 60s Bonds in movie theaters around the same time period and loved them all, from "Dr. No" to "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (what a treat for a juvenile "Avengers" fan to see "Emma Peel" in a Bond film, even if she was only paired with Lazenby). We kept going out to see new Bond movies up to & including "Moonraker", which wrecked it for me. At age 15, I was annoyed by some of the sillier moments and didn't go to the cinema for another Bond adventure until "The Living Daylights". As a matter of fact, I have made the big screen pilgrimage for each debut of a new Bond since Roger Moore. Today, I am a fan of the Daniel Craig series but I still think "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" is the best-ever and "Goldfinger" is still my all-time favorite. And I insist that even the worst Bonds are more entertaining than the average modern action flicks!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    IWe kept going out to see new Bond movies up to & including "Moonraker", which wrecked it for me. At age 15, I was annoyed by some of the sillier moments and didn't go to the cinema for another Bond adventure until "The Living Daylights".
    That's harsh! :) So you boycotted the cinema realeases of FYEO, OP and AVTAK?!

timmer wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    IWe kept going out to see new Bond movies up to & including "Moonraker", which wrecked it for me. At age 15, I was annoyed by some of the sillier moments and didn't go to the cinema for another Bond adventure until "The Living Daylights".

Adolescents can be so unforgiving! But I do recall watching FYEO on TV with some of the guys in my dormitory at the University of Massachusetts; it was probably the first network broadcast.
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    Dr_Yes wrote:

Adolescents can be so unforgiving! But I do recall watching FYEO on TV with some of the guys in my dormitory at the University of Massachusetts; it was probably the first network broadcast.

Yes, well from what you've said it rather sounds like FYEO would have been your cup of tea.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I can see why @DrYes might have sat on his wallet post MR. When you are that age, you got a lot going on. I can relate. With the combined silliness found in the tag-team of both Spy and MR, I can see why one would give up on the Rog Bonds, especially if there are a million other things crying for your attention.
    As much as I enjoy both Spy and MR now, at the time, I threw my hands in the air. Rog was truly beyond salvage. His era just had to be waited out. Mind you I got myself to the theatres for his final 3 movies, but I went in with lowered expectations. I wasn't under any delusion that he was going to find his inner Connery or even inner Lazenby.
    The Rog movies were Bondian enough, in fact very Bondian, but it always sort of grated that he couldn' t play the character tougher, and that each film had to have the obligatory groaner humour moments.
    For me the most egegious was the Beach Boys moment in AVTAK. It ruined the pts. I wanted to walk out. Usually that junk came later, but they laid it on good and early that time. Then again, there was Jaws flapping his wings like a bird in the MR pts, but at least that didn't involve an actual Bond-in-action scene.
    Actually I quite appreciate the Rog films now. They are among my favourites. Truth is, I am not a big fan of any of the three actors that followed him. I have quibbles with all of them, so the Rog films have stood the test of time in that respect. He's found plenty of company in the quibble department.
    Alas,I am still waiting for a truly worthy heir to Sean. It does seem to require the patience of Job.