Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't believe it really warrants a new thread, but my buddy just told me about that. Very interesting, and I do hope Mendes does return to do 'Bond 24.'
    I can't see him returning for 24. I think it's just a headline.
  • "Recently, he and the producers got back in touch, and they’ve decided to wait for him to work through those other commitments."

Deadline is the go-to industry source. It's not "just a headline."
  • It just means that now Bond 24 will be farther away...
    It doesn't mean anything yet, as nothing is confirmed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    WTF?! This is crazy, I'd have never expected this to happen - ever.

An annoucement this Summer is all but certain, no? What do we think?
  • Creasy47 wrote:

Whatevs. While I admire Mike Fleming's cojones with his affirmative "Mendes will be the director of the next Bond."

...Find me a time Deadline's been wrong.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:

Whatevs. While I admire Mike Fleming's cojones with his affirmative "Mendes will be the director of the next Bond."

...Find me a time Deadline's been wrong.

You don't need to be so defensive. It would be nice to have Mendes back, but it's not set in stone and it could be wrong. :)
  • Deadline has amended the text a bit further...

"While Mendes’ first love is theater, it became clear that the producers wanted him and he wanted to return, and the only thing standing in the way were these stage commitments that Mendes felt obligated to do. So, they’ve decided to wait for him to work through those other commitments, and he’s now making a deal to start production probably next year."

Sure, anything in filmmaking...or life...is not "set in stone"...but it looks like it's happening.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Deadline has amended the text a bit further...

"While Mendes’ first love is theater, it became clear that the producers wanted him and he wanted to return, and the only thing standing in the way were these stage commitments that Mendes felt obligated to do. So, they’ve decided to wait for him to work through those other commitments, and he’s now making a deal to start production probably next year."

Sure, anything in filmmaking...or life...is not "set in stone"...but it looks like it's happening.

Now this is looking like good news. :D
    This is been a crazy night for news and can't believe it could go back to Mendes now? Have to say I think they've struggled to get a director who was ready to go straight away and decedied Mendes could do it as this film won't come out before 2015 at the earliest. This is a shame but if they are already delayed for 2014 then Mendes is worth waiting for!
    Let's just hope it will be released in November, next year. Don't want them to waste Craig's talents, while he waits 3-4 years between the releases of each of his Bonds.
  • Deadline has amended the text a bit further...

@FelixLighter, you seem to be very familiar with Deadline. What can you tell us about Mike Fleming Jr? Is he reliable? Has he had any scoops like this in the past?
    It's all but assured now. The question now turns to when production begins as this will decide which year ('14 or '15) the film is released in.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    It's all but assured now. The question now turns to when production begins as this will decide which year ('14 or '15) the film is released in.

Mendes is assured you mean? Are you just going off the deadline article? the gist of that seems to be that they're "waiting" for Mendes so my guess would be later rather than sooner.
    I suppose it also depends on how quickly a deal is done. Even though Mendes' commitments end in January, I'd say it will take a few months before cameras roll again.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    I suppose it also depends on how quickly a deal is done. Even though Mendes' commitments end in January, I'd say it will take a few months before cameras roll again.

I don't know whether to believe the story. Deadline is usually very trustworthy but I don't know anything about the writer of the article.

Assuming the news is true, 2014 would be ruled out completely. We'd be looking at 2015.
    Really hope this news is not true
    If Mendes won't return than I hope that B24 will be directed by Nolan. He is a Bond fan and I'm sure that he won't make the movie all Batmanish like many people suggest.

Also what about Deakins? Will he be back for B24? I seriously hope so.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't know whether to believe the story. Deadline is usually very trustworthy but I don't know anything about the writer of the article.

Assuming the news is true, 2014 would be ruled out completely. We'd be looking at 2015.

That means the film would have a very long time in post production. So long in fact, Bond 25 should come soon after.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015

Fleming Jr (!) was the first to announce Bardem in Bond 23, for instance.

As I wrote many times before, many journalists involved in movie business tell the truth far, far more than what some believe here (they're not gossip columnists having to invent something each time a paparazzi photo needs a comment). But sometimes the truth they say is about a project that will be killed at very last minute by some lack of funding etc... So he's probably right as far as "here and now" is concerned, but then the future is not set in stone indeed...

Money speaking, Mendes and Craig also share the same agent, which, one imagine, could be a way to negotiate to pay less than for different stars' agents (it is reported Sony got only $30M from Skyfall, and all the press is full of the hedge fund asking Sony to monitor Sony Entertainment's low margins - all the rumors about discussing Craig's contract may also be linked to that)

• I don't know whether to believe the story. Deadline is usually very trustworthy but I don't know anything about the writer of the article.

Fleming Jr (!) was the first to announce Bardem in Bond 23, for instance.

Thanks @Suivez_ce_parachute. Sounds like he's a very reliable reporter then.
    Samuel001 wrote:

That means the film would have a very long time in post production. So long in fact, Bond 25 should come soon after.

I was thinking of more time in prep @Samuel001. I don't believe Mendes would go straight from his theatre work to shooting the picture. My guess would be that if Mendes returns we'd be looking at prep starting in Summer 2014, with shooting commencing late autumn/winter 2014.

I'm pretty sure Sony/MGM would release Bond 24 in the usual late-autumn slot we've had since GE (particularly as it worked so well for SF)
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

I was thinking of more time in prep @Samuel001. I don't believe Mendes would go straight from his theatre work to shooting the picture. My guess would be that if Mendes returns we'd be looking at prep starting in Summer 2014, with shooting commencing late autumn/winter 2014.

I'm pretty sure Sony/MGM would release Bond 24 in the usual late-autumn slot we've had since GE (particularly as it worked so well for SF)

Maybe that's how it will work. I was thinking more along the lines of filming being underway by the Summer meaning it's wrapped before 2014 is over, but then no one would be happy for it to sit on the shelf for six extra months, unless they spent the time on getting the next one out in two years - 2017 - not three. I think somehow EON will want a three year wait to be paid off with a shorter wait next time, if they are able to do so.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 112
    Maybe Mendes will do it, That would be good
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Maybe that's how it will work. I was thinking more along the lines of filming being underway by the Summer meaning it's wrapped before 2014 is over, but then no one would be happy for it to sit on the shelf for six extra months, unless they spent the time on getting the next one out in two years - 2017 - not three.

It would be a real bonus is Bonds 24 and 25 were developed together. As Logan's been signed for both we can hope...
    @Sir_James_Moloney, I thought they decided to go away from that idea and do them separately? Not even so much as in story, but as in development, as well.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Maybe that's how it will work. I was thinking more along the lines of filming being underway by the Summer meaning it's wrapped before 2014 is over, but then no one would be happy for it to sit on the shelf for six extra months, unless they spent the time on getting the next one out in two years - 2017 - not three.

It would be a real bonus is Bonds 24 and 25 were developed together. As Logan's been signed for both we can hope...

It would be silly not to. If these films are released in 2015 and 2018 after one in 2012, what the hell happened to all that planning? One could argue it was for nothing and time was wasted.

As soon as Bond 24 is filming I doubt Logan will be sitting around, he'll be straight to work on the next film.
    @Samuel001, that's usually the case for most bigger films: sequels are announced before the first one is even out. Granted, this is always the case for James Bond, but even more so a confirmation and a script work-up at that point with other movies.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 11,119
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_24_report_20130528_sam_mendes_back.php3?t=&s=&id=03507 *Sigh*...and so far I have been made ridiculous for my previous posts in this topic \:D/. I just love reading the recent headlines "Tom Hooper in talks", "Christopher Nolan is having exploratory talks with EON" and now "Apparently Sam Mendes is indeed back in talks again for Bond 25". Told ya all, Michael and Barbara want to follow up 'Skyfall' with the same kind of 'Bazooka-Oscar-crew' :-). Bond 25 will be as big as Bond 24, mind my words. And all those new Bond fans around the block have an important part in this....

And as you might have known from my side already, I think it's only logical to wait until Sam Mendes is available. Many said a 2015 or 2016 release of Bond 25 is unrealistic. But I've always said: It is realistic.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I hope Mendes does definitely sign on, and if we have to wait until 2015, I'll lump it. But I hope Bond 25 will NOT have a long gap. I think Mendes is worth the wait, but I don't want it to drag out even longer. Really don't.