Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I actually got more of a Tim Sale vibe TBH. ;-) The Long Halloween sprang to mind.
  • oo7oo7
    looks more like a neal adams to me
  • Most recent read:

death_of_superman_trade_pic.jpg

Since I watched this video about the Death and Return of Superman

I recommend everyone check it out if you haven't seen it because it's HILARIOUS and even features actual celebrities playing the characters (and having a blast doing it!)

The video got me excited to check the trade paperback out, since I've owned it for years and probably haven't touched it in, well years.
    Man, this book hasn't aged well at all. It reeks 90's...

The Justice League was so sad at this point in time- there were like NO cool members at all

It didn't really get good until the final issue, when Superman gets some BLOOD on him.
    And, BTW, this reminds me of one thing I hate about Trade Paperbacks like this: one story + multiple artists! Most artists in the book are great, and then a couple are pretty lackluster.

I'll still check out Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Supermen next, but after this one, the bar is set pretty low.

Makes me almost wonder if the 'New 52' universe will ever tackle the 'death of Superman' story- and give it a much needed update! This sucker is DATED
  • To get the hype going for the upcoming "Dredd" film I'm starting to read Judge Dredd comics, basicalyl starting fomr the very begining. So I bought and completed the Complete Case Files One in one sitting, and omg it was cheesy as hell... There's only a handfull of stories I really liked, the first fiew ones where he's just a cop out on the streets arresting crooks were fun and the one where he trains Rookie Judge Giant and Return of Rico were both badass! The rest, especially the Robot Wars and the Luna Marshal stuff was boring as hell. I really hope the second volyme is better.
    The good thing about volume one was that it was fun to see the eventual evolution of the suit, and the first version of it, before it changes into the big shoulder pads when he gets back from the moon, really is the superior suit I must say. I was sceptical at first on the look, but in like two stories I was completely sold on it! And also, even though alot of the stuff was as I said boring and cheesy, for some reason I couldnt put down the book... there was something in there that made me... not care about how bad some of it were... strange...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'll still check out Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Supermen next, but after this one, the bar is set pretty low.

Funeral for a Friend has some touching moments (one of them being Batman watching the funeral from a rooftop, which I nearly cried when seeing for some reason), but Reign of the Supermen (also known as The Return of Superman) isn't as good as The Death. Better uses of its artists, but a somewhat lackluster story and a crappy reason for his rebirth (which I can't remember, I haven't read that book in so long).
    Makes me almost wonder if the 'New 52' universe will ever tackle the 'death of Superman' story- and give it a much needed update! This sucker is DATED

I've been noticing that I haven't seen anything I really like in the New 52. It hasn't improved much, especially since it's only a half-reboot. If they wanted to attract new readers, they should have followed Marvel's example - keep your original universe, and create an alternate one that tackles new versions of the characters. Ultimate Marvel worked exceptionally well, so why couldn't an Ultimate DC?
  • oo7oo7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,068
    Anyone else checking out this?
    1d_309328_2_TheShadowDynamiteEntertainment.jpg

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3934/the-shadow-knows...#Item_1
    thread to chat about the shadow
    SPYNEST
    56577615.jpg

This one is for Bond fans!

Spynest tells us the story of - get this - a young Ian Fleming as he operates during WWII alongside a sexy female spy to uncover the Nazi's latest secret weapon. It is highly fictionalised but rather funny nonetheless. I'm not sure if it's available in English though. I picked up a Dutch copy.

The opening page is a real treat for us, Bond fans.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    I NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'LL LEARN DUTCH IF I HAVE TO!
    oo7 wrote:
    Anyone else checking out this?
    1d_309328_2_TheShadowDynamiteEntertainment.jpg

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3934/the-shadow-knows...#Item_1
    thread to chat about the shadow

Of course with the new annual about the released and a special up for release in December, the SHadow is back in comics.

And if that is not enough we get Masks as 12 part series with a whole bunch of hero's from yore among them of course The SHadow.

^

It's available in French too. ;-)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    ^

Oh boy, if they release a Gibberish edition, I am all over this!!!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    ^

Oh boy, if they release a Gibberish edition, I am all over this!!!

Fleming is the handcuffed guy. :P
    Sanctum books - The Shadow magazine 64 - Death rides the Skyway & The Ribbon Clues
    Dynamite - The Shadow #5 & The Shadow Annual #1
    IDW- The Crow #4
    Boom - Steed & Mrs Peel #1
    IDW - Star Trek Next gen/ Doctor WHo #5
    DarthDimi wrote:
    ^

Why did I choose Spanish over French in school? It always come back to bite me somehow! :((
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dynamite - The Shadow #5 & The Shadow Annual #1

Same here, they're also the last comics I bought.

DarthDimi wrote:
    ^

Why did I choose Spanish over French in school? It always come back to bite me somehow! :((

STORY OF MY LIFE!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 23,449
    AKIRA

BEST - MANGA - EVER!

Akira, the animated film, jumpstarted my passion with Japanese anime, manga and Japanese culture in general. I immediately read the 6 volume manga and I've returned to that on a regular basis since.

The manga is a stunner! The detail with which Katsuhiro Otomo has drawn every single panel is simply amazing.

katushiro_otomo_akira_bw.jpg

As for the story, well, if you're into a highly dramatic and extremely violent fusion between sci-fi and fantasy, this is it. So much cyberpunk was inspired by Akira.

I promise that once you start reading, you won't give up.

akira-2265973.jpg
    edited April 2013 Posts: 23,449
    THE UNCANNY X-MEN: issue 1 --> 66

It took me a while but I've finally finished reading the very first couple of X-men years, the ones preceding the painful hiatus that ultimately lead to the Giant-Sized X-Men and the All New X-Men (which kicked off Claremont's popular runs).

This is the 'old' material. A lot of the X-Men mythology had yet to be constructed (e.g. Magneto makes his appearance many times but there's no reference to him and Xavier ever being buddies when young) and some of the more popular X-Men, like Wolverine, Storm and Nightcrawler, are entirely absent at this point. The lack of modern comic book sophistication and the abundant campiness (at times) may conflict with certain readers' preferences. Also, we get some very busy panels in these comics, loaded with text balloons that spell out the obvious, making it hard labour sometimes to read through a single issue. But, for the record, I think it pays off to read these first 66 issues of the X-Men (and a couple of Avengers, Hulk, Spider-man... comics.)
    At the urging of a friend, I just read the Killing Joke by Alan Moore. It was an increadable Joker story, and the art was stunning. I don't know why I have put off reading it for so long.
    Currently reading:

The Shadow
    The shadow year one
    Doctor WHo : prisoners of Time
    Jim Butchers Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
    Masks
  • Nice to know I'm not the only comics fan in the Bond community! I urge everyone here to familiarize themselves with Jim Steranko's fabulous run on Marvel's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the late '60s. A S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series is evidently in the offing, following on the heels of the hugely successful Avengers movie last year...and if you'd like to get a firm grounding on this lynchpin of the Marvel Universe, Steranko's landmark tenure on the series is the place to go!
    Nice to know I'm not the only comics fan in the Bond community! I urge everyone here to familiarize themselves with Jim Steranko's fabulous run on Marvel's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the late '60s. A S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series is evidently in the offing, following on the heels of the hugely successful Avengers movie last year...and if you'd like to get a firm grounding on this lynchpin of the Marvel Universe, Steranko's landmark tenure on the series is the place to go!

Steranko is perhaps one of my favourite artists in the Marvel Universe. He had a couple of issues in the old X-Men series under his control and BOY! were they awesome. I love Claremont's take on X-Men, but he comes second.

Anyway, time for another (short) manga:
    THE GRUDGE I & II

13400.jpg

It really is a very unsettling, horrific manga, this. Not quite as frightening as the Ju-on films (no sounds in a book, mind) but effective nonetheless. Grudge fans should give it a try.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,882
    181010_557988320908311_46032994_n.jpg

I'm now branching out my 7th Doctor merchandise into comics, having bought the above today.
    Looks like good stuff, @MajorDSmythe. You recommend it?

I'm currently reading a whole lot more of Danger Girl myself.

DangerGirl17.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:

Seeing a lot more cheek then usual. ;)

But it never happened to Roger Moore! :D
    edited May 2013 Posts: 16,328
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But it never happened to Roger Moore! :D

Though it happened to Sean Connery. :))
    zardoz1.jpg
    Zardoz is a wonderful film! :P It's sooooo crazy, I really love it. But yeah, there's a bit too much of Connery for comfort.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Zardoz is a wonderful film! :P It's sooooo crazy, I really love it. But yeah, there's a bit too much of Connery for comfort.
    I need to see that film. :p

edited May 2013 Posts: 13,882
    DarthDimi wrote:

DangerGirl17.jpg

I have not a good look as Nemesis Of The Daleks, yet. I haven't read any Doctor Who comics/graphic novels, let alone a 7th Doctor one, so i'm looking forward to diving right in.

Ah, Danger Girl. The original 7 issue series is the best, but last years 4 issue Revolver mini series more than kept the DG torch burning.

http://www.listal.com/list/danger-girl

Created by yours truly, and infinitely better than the inevitable 'Hollywood' casting. :-\"