The Shadow Knows...

oo7oo7
edited September 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,068
The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!
Thread for all things shadow related.
books, radio, films, comics

Comments

• I liked the movie, only seen it once, and it was a long long time ago so I dont dare to watch it now cuz I'm afraid it will be really bad :P
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I love the 1994 movie. I first saw it back in 1997, and have watched it many times since, the latest being a few days ago. I've got the complete 31 issue + annual of The Shadow Strikes, the 2 issue adaption of the 1994 film, various issues from 1987 and the first 4 issues from the new run from Dynamite.

Also, i've recently aquired the Go Hero 1:6 scale figure of <a href="http://www.goheroshop.com/Shop_item.php?id=44&cat=2&sub=0">The Shadow. </a>

I'm saddened to hear that there wont be a new film, at least not for a while.
    I loved the movie
    I have 40 The Shadow magazines with the original tales from the '30's & '40's by Maxwell Grant. And have a subscription, so do get one every month.

4 issues of the new Dynamite series, the 5th being delayed but in subscription so it and the new annual will arrive in due time.

The Shadow strikes series 1-10 + annual

The Shadow '87/'88 series 1 -16

The Shadow 1-4 by Chaykin, the remake of the series in the present.

Of course the 1940 serial with Victor Jory as The Shadow.

And the 1994 movie, that started my fascination.

And of course a large collection of radioplays (with Orson Welles as the Shadow among others) that I obtained legally and less legally.

The Shadow, history and mystery of the Radio Program, 1930-1954 by Martin Grams. Jr (836 pages) in essence the ultimate book on the subject.

The Shadow scrapbook

I did hope for a SHadow movie fairly soon, but it seems to be delayed perhaps because the studios do not see any value. (The same applies for Simon Templar aka the Saint).

But with the reproduction/republication of the Shadow stories in his own magazine I get fed a monthly dose of Shadow which is at least satisfactory. And I get to listen to his adventures on my Ipod quite frequently.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I thought the film was great, and was hoping it would become a franchise, unfortunately no. Also quite liked The Phantom, must search for the DVDs of these films are re-aquaint myself with them.
    The last Phantom tv-movie was a bit so-so.

But that last attempt at a movie with Billy Zane was actually quite entertaining, even if it had something of a Goonie-set in the finale. The cast was even pretty impressive.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117331/
  • I thought the film was great, and was hoping it would become a franchise, unfortunately no. Also quite liked The Phantom, must search for the DVDs of these films are re-aquaint myself with them.

I was very excited when I heard about the movie version of The Shadow, but then discouraged when I read all the bad reviews. I still saw it the opening weekend anyway and it's one of those films that I recognize as not very good but one that I still really liked - it hit a lot of the right buttons for me even though the execution wasn't as good as it could be. I'm tempted to watch it again to see how it holds up...

• oo7oo7
    I love the 1994 movie. I first saw it back in 1997, and have watched it many times since, the latest being a few days ago. I've got the complete 31 issue + annual of The Shadow Strikes, the 2 issue adaption of the 1994 film, various issues from 1987 and the first 4 issues from the new run from Dynamite.

Also, i've recently aquired the Go Hero 1:6 scale figure of <a href="http://www.goheroshop.com/Shop_item.php?id=44&cat=2&sub=0">The Shadow. </a>

how do you feel about the new run?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 7,653
    So you though that Nolans' Batman Begins was such a brilliant and great piece of filmmaking?? Think again.............
    http://www.shadowsanctum.net/interactive/tidbits_archive/shadow_batman-movie_comparisons.html

About some more comicbook films:
    http://scottalanmendelson.blogspot.nl/2012/07/who-needs-origins-8-comic-book-films.html

Just for your information. O:-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The only niggle I have is that The Shadow is a bit too gun ho
    oo7 wrote:

how do you feel about the new run?

The Shadow could do with not using so many bullets, otherwise I like this new run. And is it just my local comic shop, or are there delays between issues?

@SaintMark I have read that page before, and I could not believe the similarites. Plagiarism springs to mind. I don't want to put down BB, but I get far more from watching The Shadow.

@SaintMark I have read that page before, and I could not believe the similarites. Plagiarism springs to mind. I don't want to put down BB, but I get far more from watching The Shadow.

I prefer the Shadow far more than BB, after reading this page I was kind of shocked too. I wonder how the defenders of Nolans art will respond to it.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I liked the film, I think there should've been a sequel. Haven't read the comics, the only comic I've read is 2000ad.
    SaintMark wrote:

I prefer the Shadow far more than BB, after reading this page I was kind of shocked too. I wonder how the defenders of Nolans art will respond to it.

Probably with this (from the page you just read)

As noted in the Print Tidbits section:
    Comics Scene #49 (November 1992)
    David Goyer noted that he wrote a screenplay for Doctor Strange in the 1990's. He noted that he wanted to follow the origin storyline -- a selfish, acquisitive man gets redeemed when going to Tibet and studying under a mystic. Then The Shadow came out in 1994 which featured a similar origin. "Batman Begins" also featured a somewhat similar origin (although Wayne was self-absorbed, he was not really acquisitive) -- and it was written by David Goyer!
    SaintMark wrote:

Probably with this (from the page you just read)

As noted in the Print Tidbits section:
    Comics Scene #49 (November 1992)
    David Goyer noted that he wrote a screenplay for Doctor Strange in the 1990's. He noted that he wanted to follow the origin storyline -- a selfish, acquisitive man gets redeemed when going to Tibet and studying under a mystic. Then The Shadow came out in 1994 which featured a similar origin. "Batman Begins" also featured a somewhat similar origin (although Wayne was self-absorbed, he was not really acquisitive) -- and it was written by David Goyer!

How did you like the visual comparrison??

I must admit I was quite taken aback. The choice of angles and long, med, close shots was quite surprising. But has any action ever been taken against BB? Usually they are shit hot on these sorts of things. Really must purchase The Shadow and give it another viewing, really quite an under-rated film imo.
  • oo7oo7
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NoU7ObLPIw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NoU7ObLPIw?version=3&hl=en_US"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    SaintMark wrote:

Speak out against BB/TDK? That would a Death Wish that even Paul Kersey would think twice about.

@oo7 Still waiting for that to get an UK R2 release. :-w The Shadow is one film that I would upgrade to BR in a heartbeat.
  • oo7oo7
    anyone following year one?
    Just never could get into The Shadow...

I guess I'm just a Doc Savage kind of guy. (The Spider -- the most bloodthirsty pulp hero of them all? -- is pretty good, too.)
    oo7 wrote:
    anyone following year one?

following Dynamite's
    The Shadow
    The SHadow now
    The SHadow year one

Sanctum Books
    the Shadow magazine (containing two tales of Shadowiness, with essays) once a month, that re-issue all the original magazines from the original run with the original drawings.

And have purchased the re-issue of "The Shadow - 1941 - Hitlers astrologer " which is indeed a delicious Shadow tale.
  • oo7oo7
    the shadow now....
    i need to play catch up again i think
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sanctum Books
    the Shadow magazine (containing two tales of Shadowiness, with essays) once a month, that re-issue all the original magazines from the original run with the original drawings.

And have purchased the re-issue of "The Shadow - 1941 - Hitlers astrologer " which is indeed a delicious Shadow tale.

Those sound like a must have for Shadow fans. Damn, if it weren't for my self imposed ban on buying anything over the internet until after Christmas, I would be hunting those down right now.
    The Sanctum books magazines on the Shadow are currently at number 78, are a monthly release, that means you have a lot of leeway if you want to treat yourself, they also do the series of magazines concerning Doc Savage.

The re-issue is original from 1988 by Denny O'Neill & Michael W. Kaluta & Russ Heath.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've seen the movie once, that's about it. Are there any sites dedicated to this series on the net? I assume that there are. I thought that it was interesting how the villain was rehabilitated rather than killed in the end. It might be interesting to see something like that in a Bond film one day for a different take on things, although Bond sparing Yusef at the end of QoS does come to mind in this regard.
  • oo7oo7
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've seen the movie once, that's about it. Are there any sites dedicated to this series on the net? I assume that there are. I thought that it was interesting how the villain was rehabilitated rather than killed in the end. It might be interesting to see something like that in a Bond film one day for a different take on things, although Bond sparing Yusef at the end of QoS does come to mind in this regard.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3FX-KSzpSF0?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3FX-KSzpSF0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    The current Shadow series as published by Dynamite might be coming to an end but that does not mean the character will dissapear quitely.

THE SHADOW #0
    The Shadow meets Houdini
    Coming soon! (release date still unknown!)

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the signing of Cullen Bunn, who will pen a Shadow tale where he meets the elusive magician Houdini! And you can expect more to come from Dynamite and Cullen Bunn in the future!

"I've long been a fan of pulp heroes, and the Shadow was my introduction into that world," says writer Cullen Bunn. "I remember my dad recounting adventures of The Shadow he had heard on the radio as a boy. And my dad could do the best imitation of the Shadow's laugh! I like to think that he'd get a real kick out of me contributing to the legacy of the character. I know I couldn't be more thrilled. In this tale, we see the Shadow infiltrating a secret society of magicians who are willing to do anything to lay claim to what might be the most forbidden of secrets. As the Shadow evades devious deathtraps, we learn that he has a connection to the greatest magician of all time."

In The Shadow #0, secrets of the Shadow's past are revealed as he meets Houdini! The Shadow infiltrates sanctum of an esoteric society of murderous magicians who are hellbent on escaping the ultimate trap--death itself! In order to thwart their plans, though, he must evade twisted traps and solve spellbinding puzzles. A good--or evil--magician never reveals his secrets... but the Shadow knows.

"We've wanted to work with Cullen for years, but knew it had to be something special," says Dynamite CEO / Publisher Nick Barrucci. The Shadow #0 is that book, and fans will be amazed at the story that Cullen is telling. Happy to say that while this is our first project with Cullen, there are more to come."

"Cullen is a fantastic writer and this should be the start of many projects with him here at Dynamite" - Joseph Rybandt, Senior Editor

Cullen Bunn is a freelance writer known for the comic books he has written comics for Marvel, including the popular Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe series, and has become increasingly popular with his Oni Press series The Damned and The Sixth Gun. Cullen is currently writing the acclaimed series Magneto. He is also a short story writer and novelist, his major publications outside of the comic book sphere include Crooked Hills and Creeping Stones & Other Stories. He has been nominated for the Bram Stoker Award (2012), the Eisner Award (2012), and the Ghastly Awards (2011), and winner of Broken Frontier's ‘Best Writer Independent' Award (2011).

But the first new series will be a six parter:

THE SHADOW: MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW #1 (OF 6)
    Price: $3.99
    Shipping: May, 2014
    Related Products:

SKU: C72513021636601011
    Rating: Teen +
    Covers: Howard Chaykin
    Writer: Howard Chaykin
    Art: Howard Chaykin

Genre: Super-Hero, Adventure
    Publication Date: May 2014
    Format: Comic Book
    Page Count: 32 pages
    UPC: 725130216366 01011
    ON SALE DATE: May 7
    ON SALE DATE: June 4
    New Year's, 1950--the end of a tumultuous decade...and LAMONT CRANSTON, the man the world and the underworld know all too well as THE SHADOW, has had enough. It's time for the Mysterious Nemesis of Crime to hang up his cloak, his slouch hat, and his twin .45s, and retire from public life...
    ...But despite this momentous decision, MARGO LAINE and the rest of the Shadow's AGENTS fear that mankind, teetering on the brink of nuclear Armageddon, may not be quite ready to be bereft of the Dark Avenger.
    Excellent news for us Pulpies

JUSTICE INC - Coming in August!
    The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Avenger

An event 75 years in the making! Stretched across time, The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger meet for the first time in Justice, Inc. #1! With the stakes this high, it will take three heroes to fight together as the Justice, Inc.! In time for Dynamite's 10th Anniversary celebration, Justice, Inc. #1 will be released in August 2014 and is written by Michael Uslan with interiors by Giovanni Timpano. The Original Avenger has been the star of his own Justice, Inc. series and previously drawn by some of the greatest artists in comics: Jack Kirby! Joe Kubert! Kyle Baker! And now joining those illustrious ranks of illustrators, come covers by Alex Ross, Francesco Francavilla, Stephen Segovia, Ardian Syaf and Gabriel Hardman!

"Doc Savage inspired the creation of Superman. The Shadow directly inspired the creation of Batman. The Avenger sparked the creation of a multitude of... Well... Avengers! What an honor to write a story starring them all! It's always been beyond my comprehension how Street & Smith pulp magazines and comics never ever in 75 years teamed the three of them up! Can you imagine if up till now DC had never crossed/over Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman? Could you grasp Marvel never teaming up Captain America, Sub-Mariner and The Human Torch? I love history! And THIS, fellow fan-boys, IS history! I am so excited that this task has fallen to me. I love these characters and knew Walter Gibson, creative force behind The Shadow. I feel a personal obligation to him to do the very best job I can, and I'm grateful to Nick Barrucci and the Dynamite team for making this happen at last!" - Michal Uslan, writer of Justice, Inc.

"Michael is one of the most inspired and versatile writers in the industry with his experience in comics, film and prose," says Dynamite CEO / Publisher Nick Barrucci. "Michael doesn't write many series due to his schedule, but when he does, he puts all of his energy and a passion that few can bring to a series, and it shows. This IS a historic cross-over, and we couldn't be more pleased that Michael is the person spearheading the series. And the best part is that Michael will use his PR machine to help promote the series every issue in stores for retailers to help them have higher sell through as more fans will know of the series. And nothing is more exciting than having a series reach as many readers as possible."

In Justice, Inc. #1, an airliner vanishes without a trace! It's the crisis that brings together, in a historic team-up for the first time ever, Street & Smith's super-star trinity: The Shadow! Doc Savage! The Avenger! 75 years in the making, JUSTICE, INC. begins here, spawned by a horrific tragedy of death and destruction secretly orchestrated by some of the most powerful and unexpected villains in the history of the pulps! Chapter 1 (of 6): "The Time Machine!"

Justice, Inc. #1 will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' June Previews catalog, the premiere source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in August 2014. Comic book fans are encouraged to reserve copies of Justice, Inc. #1 with their local comic book retailers. Justice, Inc. #1 will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital.

Michael Uslan is the originator and Executive Producer of the Batman/Dark Knight movie franchise. Most recently, Uslan wrote the critically-acclaimed story, "Silent Knight, Unholy Knight" in BATMAN BLACK & WHITE, as well as Dynamite Comics' "The Shadow/ Green Hornet: Dark Nights."
    THE SHADOW #0 (ONE-SHOT) - Coming in July!
    (Writer) Cullen Bunn (Art) Colton Worley (Cover) Gabriel Hardman

Secrets of the Shadow's past are revealed as he meets Houdini! The Shadow infiltrates sanctum of an esoteric society of murderous magicians who are hellbent on escaping the ultimate trap--death itself! In order to thwart their plans, though, he must evade twisted traps and solve spellbinding puzzles. A good--or evil--magician never reveals his secrets... but the Shadow knows.

32 pages, Full Color, $3.99, On sale July 23