Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've never seen/read/watched Scott Pilgrim at all, so when you posted this
    DarthDimi wrote:
    scott-pilgrim2.jpg?w=640

the middle image made me laugh my ass off.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Then by all means, sir, have a go with the novel. It's that good!
    Batman vs The Undead

965625.jpg

This is basically the sequel to Superman & Batman vs Vampires & Werewolves, despite its more comfortable title. This time we regroup with Superman and some creatures of the dark to fight off zombies.

Taking the story to swamps and a post-Katrina New Orleans, this comic series feels less Gothic than the first series and indeed, suffers a bit towards the end, I feel, in finding the proper conclusion. That said, it's still a good read for anyone who enjoys a bit of horror mixed in with their Batman. I like it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Wasn't the Blackest Knight crossover event about zombies? I don't think DC should touch zombies.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm going to start Volume 3 of the James Bond Omnibus soon. I'm really looking forward to the first of the non-Fleming strips.

I have only read the 2nd Omnibus-collection, and I must say, the OHMSS adaptation is one of the best comics I've ever read. Mclusky's art is also at his best with this one.

Are there any collections of the Semic-produced Bond-stories? I found some comic book magazines from the 80s some years ago, and it would be great to read them collected, like the Mclusky/Horak-stories.
    Wasn't the Blackest Knight crossover event about zombies? I don't think DC should touch zombies.

It deals with magic anyway, mostly via the Lazarus Pit.

I'm not sure I disapprove of the vampire / werewolf / zombie crossover. Batman is a creature of the night. Vampires and werewolves make sense in that respect. And if they make sense, I think we can condone zombies.

That said, I don't think they should ever be part of the more official continuity. ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

It deals with magic anyway, mostly via the Lazarus Pit.

I'm not sure I disapprove of the vampire / werewolf / zombie crossover. Batman is a creature of the night. Vampires and werewolves make sense in that respect. And if they make sense, I think we can condone zombies.

That said, I don't think they should ever be part of the more official continuity. ;-)

Have you read Hush, @Dimi, from Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Are there any collections of the Semic-produced Bond-stories? I found some comic book magazines from the 80s some years ago, and it would be great to read them collected, like the Mclusky/Horak-stories.

As of now, no but that may be next on the list. Fingers crossed.
    Have you read Hush, @Dimi, from Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee?

Of course I have, sir. I'm quite fond of it from a visual POV but I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of the character of Hush. I've read a couple of other Hush comics as well, and somehow the artists don't seem able to find a stable characterization for him. They keep toying around with the persona and he's at this point insufficiently established to allow for that, IMHO at least.

That said, HUSH is beautiful! I've never known Catwoman to be quite so attractive (except for the Arkham City game) and this counts for Talia al Ghul as well. :P And yes, the Lazarus Pit is featured so we do get a bit of occultism. Since Hush plays within the more official continuities, an element of magic is introduced in those and TBH, I'm only willing to accept very small doses of that. I prefer Batman with both feet on the ground, so to speak, although I'm obviously fine with some out-of-this-world stuff since otherwise I'd be hard to even have a villain or two. ;-) But the Lazarus pit is more or less where I draw the line.
    I mean, bringing back the dead...
    How many Sin City fans do we have here?
    How many Sin City fans do we have here?

Love the film, never come around to reading the graphic novels yet though. Always seem overpriced as well but I could be wrong.
    I got lucky. I got them all in a set for $70. The movie's incredibly faithful. Other than leaving a few scenes out, 99% of the movie is directly copied from the graphic novels.
    Then I wonder if I still need to read it. I mean, I'm familiar with its very distinct visual style and I'm not sure said style is enough to warrant the purchase if, after all, I already know the story from the film.
    The movie's only three main graphic novels and a single one-shot (the opening on the rooftop). There's still three other graphic novels yet to be filmed (although the sequel will have one of them), plus a whole lot of one-shot "short stories". Not only that, there's plenty of unfilmed scenes from the first three graphic novels that more than warrant a purchase.
    You have me persuaded, sir.
    6311751_1.jpg

Batman Year Two
    Ouch, quite a step down from the masterpiece Year One was!! For those who haven't read it, the plot involves Bats going up against a villain so tough that he decides that should start using a gun to even the odds from now on. I can almost appreciate the idea of Bruce thinking that way that early in his career, but the book goes too far when
    not only is the gun the exact one that was used to kill his parents, Batman eventually goes to far as to team up with JOE CHILL!!!!! I mean he did it out of necessity and eventually let him have it, but still.....
    I just can't accept Bats doing that.

Todd McFarlane is also the artist for part of the book, and while I love him from his Spider-Man days, Todd is downright ridiculous when it comes to heroes wearing capes!! I'm sure some of you know what I mean- they'd be tripping all over those damn capes, the way he draws them, lol

Isn't that the series where the Phantasm from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was inspired from?
    I seem to recall MOTP taking material from this comic yes.
    Samuel001 wrote:

As of now, no but that may be next on the list. Fingers crossed.

Did the Semic-produced comics ever get published outside Scandinavia?
    edited July 2012 Posts: 23,449
    Batman: Knightfall

tumblr_lky07zMPfM1qclcgo.jpg

Wow, after months of sporadically reading chapters in the first two volumes of this three volume series, I now finished the third book in one single day! Some intense reading behind me now, folks.

This is it: the story that may have inspired Nolan for TDKR (I say may because information on the subject is still scarce at this point and obviously I haven't watched the film yet). Bane breaks the Bat's back. This might be the best incentive to read this series, although halfway through we segue into other issues that become more dominant as the story progresses.

The visual style is quite to my liking. The story is on and off. The first volume (Broken Bat) delivers a sour, almost unlikable Batman, tired and devoid of energy. We see the release of Arkham's most famous and Batman and Robin's subsequent attempts to put them back, meanwhile searching for the cause of this turmoil: Bane. Bane seems focused on nothing but bringing down Batman. Incidentally, for those who prefer a good Bane origin story, which will also help when reading Knightfall, I recommend reading "Vengeance Of Bane" first!

The second volume (Who Rules The Night) sees Batman taking drastic measures to straighten things out, or so it would at first seem. A delicate tone shift allows for more intense reading, IMO. The third volume (KnightsEnd) has all but forgotten about Bane and now focuses on what appears to be an even bigger problem. The climax is thrilling to say the least.

I recommend this legendary series, written in the early 90s, and suggest that those who are interested prepare themselves by reading Vengeance Of Bane and Batman: The Sword of Azrael first. I also suggest you pick up the new releases of Knightfall, once available, for they shall have additional episodes which fill in the blanks the older release left open much to our confusion.
    It's no secret that Nolan took inspiration from Knightfall for Rises. He's also taking inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns.
    It's no secret that Nolan took inspiration from Knightfall for Rises. He's also taking inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns.

I'm still waiting for that girl-Robin. ;-)
    With a Justice League movie in the future offing? How about they take on the Undead? Now that would be a big enough enemy to deal with? As i love that cover with Superman!
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Read the Long Halloween. Didn't take too long because the panels were large. I liked the twist but overall I was slightly underwhelmed. I had heard so much about it that I must have built it up a bit too much.

Ive just seen the John Carter movie so now I'm thinking of ordering Dynamite's Warlord of Mars based on the Burroughs books.

And recently I've remembered reading bits of Marvel's Killraven comic which was a back-up strip in the UK's Star Wars comics in the early 1980s. I read it as a kid in glorious black and white! I might buy the collected edition. It's a sort of sequel to HG Wells War of the Worlds and I recall it being very dark.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    With a Justice League movie in the future offing? How about they take on the Undead? Now that would be a big enough enemy to deal with? As i love that cover with Superman!

It will suck compared to The Avengers.
    That future telling globe.
    I want it.
    Look in the mirror more often. Sometimes the future can be seen while glimpsing backward.
    RogueAgent wrote:

It will suck compared to The Avengers.

Not seen the Avengers yet. Its on my to do list! :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    43836_0.jpg

I've allready got the 4 issues that make up the Revolver mini-series, that's the TPB that I bought recently. :-B
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    You know, every time I've seen a Danger Girl at the store I've wanted to get it, since I know they're full of Bond jokes-- but to my bad luck, there was always a cute girl at the register and I was too embarrassed! Online it is!