Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    doubleoego wrote:

Anyway, I think it's fair to say at some point, we're going to get a remake of metal gear and metal gear 2:SS. Given the time line of MGS5 and the fact that Kojima himself has stated he's not done with SS, it stands to reason that MGS5 is likely to be the last time we'll play as BB as the next major event takes place in 1995 and we all know what that is.

Naturally....this is just the beginning of the Fox Engine. I foresee a great future!

• edited March 2013 Posts: 4,813
    doubleoego wrote:
    The events of MGS5 are from around 1975 to 1984.
    1984 would be the part when he wakes from the coma, right? I'm holding onto the hope that maybe that shot of Big Boss with the prosthetic could be from.....1995?

Is that possible or am I just wishing too much? That would make him 60. He does look like he could be that old in that shot.

I figure in 1984 in the hospital- BB is weak and frail... very skinny. Then in that shot of him on the bike he looks considerably bulked up so it must be a good chunk of time later. Not necessarily 11 years but I mean it's possible right?

Sorry my mind is going a million miles an hour- so excited about the new stuff today! :D
    Sorry my mind is going a million miles an hour- so excited about the new stuff today! :D

Same here, it's alot of info to take in for one day.
    8-}
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Just so there's no confusion...

Kojima's confirmed the whole Ground Zeroes is a prologue thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...l-gear-solid-5

Hideo Kojima just tweeted that Ground Zeroes is the prologue section in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain:

"'Ground Zeroes' is a prologue of 'MGSV'," he explained. "9 years after that event will be 'The Phantom Pain'. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game 'TPP'. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of 'TPP' which is tutorial that starts from crawling."

Ocelot

2seDRKe.jpg

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    doubleoego wrote:
    The events of MGS5 are from around 1975 to 1984.
    1984 would be the part when he wakes from the coma, right? I'm holding onto the hope that maybe that shot of Big Boss with the prosthetic could be from.....1995?

Big Boss is too young there. In 1995, he'd look not much different than he did at the end of MGS4.
    I figure in 1984 in the hospital- BB is weak and frail... very skinny. Then in that shot of him on the bike he looks considerably bulked up so it must be a good chunk of time later. Not necessarily 11 years but I mean it's possible right?

Well, it's at least long enough after for Big Boss to have gotten and gotten adjusted to a prosthetic hand. He looks a little bigger, but that also looks like a thick jacket.
    You're probably right- it's likely not 1995 in that photo... :(
    Maybe the next game

BTW has anyone noticed WTF is stuck in his head??

vlcsnap-2013-03-27-20h51m48s170.jpg
    mgs5-head-crap.jpg
    Piece of shrapnel/debris....BB is a badass for an exhaustive amount of reasons.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Everybody knows it's badass to walk around with a piece of shrapnel sticking out of your face.
    ...with a stogie in your mouth to boot.
    And a robotic hand that DAMN WELL BETTER NOT HAVE ROCKETS IN IT! I swear, Shinkawa had an action figure on his desk when he created Zadornov. If I hear somebody say "Rocket Peace!" in this game, I will be pissed.
    That hand does look pretty sophisticated for 80's...
    It's the metal gear universe. They had the shagohod in 1964.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 153
    doubleoego wrote:

Yeah, and they even had an electric-powered Soviet Colonel back when Goldfinger was showing on screen.

Anyway, I read somewhere that Richard Doyle (Big Boss from MGS4) would be the one voicing Big Boss in MGSV. (I can't recall where) Has anyone verified this? It would make sense since Big Boss is too old now. In fact, I think they used the same character model from MGS4 and changed the hair color to brown.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7iLl9-ns3J0rbup5iuTGlyEUdt_0Ob_iAHUE7cvOXiN_hQrIE

vlcsnap-2013-03-27-20h51m48s170.jpg

See? David Hayter would sound too young to voice Big Boss as an old man.
    David Hayter PLEASE show up and cameo as Solid Snake.....
    Doyle as Big Boss sounds fine to me.

Actually that reminds me: in MGS, why wasn't Liquid voiced by Hayter? Aren't Solid & Liquid basically identical?
    doubleoego wrote:
    lol I guess that was a pretty stupid thing to say in retrospect 8-}
    Liquid and Solid sound different because they grew up on different sides of the Atlantic.

As for Doyle voicing BB again, it only makes sense if that happens from the phantom pain segment. The Ground Zeroes prologue takes place immediately after Peace Walker in which Hayter voiced BB.

Anyway, check out the link below, you'll find it interesting

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/84h9k6/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-kojima-interview
    doubleoego wrote:

And, let's not forget the full Ground Zeroes video from PAX Prime last year, the one that had gameplay in it: Big Boss was packing a holographic map that looked a thousand times more sophisticated than the Soliton radar we had in MGS1.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Liquid and Solid sound different because they grew up on different sides of the Atlantic.

Yes, but Solidus never sounded like Snake, and they were both raised in the US. On top of that, Solidus never sounded like Big Boss, despite being an exact clone of the guy.

I won't mind Richard Doyle playing Big Boss in MGSV, though I think it would make more sense to cast John Cygan, Solidus' voice actor, instead. Make him the middle ground between David Hayter and Richard Doyle.

Y'know, Akio Otsuka, Snake/Big Boss's Japanese voice actor, still played the role in the Ground Zeroes trailer we saw at PAX Prime. Maybe this semi-confirms Hayter's involvement in Ground Zeroes, because Otsuka's father played Big Boss in MGS4.

RE: Voice patterns and sounds are different, irrespective of cloning. Snake, Solidus and BB sound different because one it's just a game (haha!) and two all 3 of them may have grown up in the US but they grew up and lived in different environments and societies/conditions. Remember, there are countless US accents...a new yorker sounds different from someone from Alabama or Boston.....but all of this is superfluous stuff anyway.

Yeah Kojima's excuse about a new VA because of the new direction the game's going in, how does that make any sort of sense when you have the Japanese VA still doing Snake's/BB's voice? Anyway, we'll see but I do hope Hayter's involved to some capacity. However, I can definitely live with Cygan or Doyle, the latter especially.
    Sweet I just noticed Garbage sings the song in the trailer! I really like that way more than TWINE.

Only one thing about what we've seen concerns me: is the majority of the game taking place in that hospital? I sure hope there's a big chunk afterwards that we haven't seen yet-- or maybe a ton of flashbacks or something. I mean, do we really want to spend 75% or more of MGS5 as a slow, scrawny Big Boss with a hook for a hand crawling around? I just hope there's waaaaaaaay more than the hospital.

edited March 2013 Posts: 784
    that's just the beginning of the phantom pain in the hospital, according to Kojima in the presentation.

I also like the song played during the trailer, fits perfect imo.

as for Hayter.'s voice, it makes sense to use his voice in ground zeroes and than Doyle's voice when he wakes up in the hospital(9 years later).
    I'd be more pissed if Pat Zimmerman doesn't voice ocelot in this.
    'Not Your Kind of People' really sounds like a Bond song doesn't it? Just like 'Snake Eater' did!
    Just one of the many things I love about Metal Gear!

I sure am glad I bought the HD collection. Otherwise I probably would never have played Peace Walker, which judging by the trailer, is pretty crucial to the story
    Peace Walker is one of the best storylines in the whole series. Glad you got the chance to play such a gem.
    doubleoego wrote:
    RE: Voice patterns and sounds are different, irrespective of cloning. Snake, Solidus and BB sound different because one it's just a game (haha!) and two all 3 of them may have grown up in the US but they grew up and lived in different environments and societies/conditions. Remember, there are countless US accents...a new yorker sounds different from someone from Alabama or Boston.....but all of this is superfluous stuff anyway.

While this is all true, Snake and Big Boss only sound slightly different, and that's probably only due to the type of tobacco they smoke. Besides, considering how much Solidus worshiped Big Boss, I'm going to assume that the Patriots kept him close enough to observe, but not to actually know the man (otherwise he would have developed the same intense hatred as Liquid and Solid).
    From David's Twitter:

METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

April fools joke??. You decide.....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, he is bluffing. This has Hideo's handprints all over it.
    Yeah it's bs.
    We'll certainly see. I wouldn't be surprised if Hayter couldn't make the original voice recording sessions because of filming on Wolves (which is real, by the way, Snake's making his directorial debut), but I'm sure he'll be Big Boss's voice once more.

Hideo is quite the prankster, isn't he.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ultrabox wrote:

Hideo is quite the prankster, isn't he.

Indeed. I must say, he loves what he does and I can't fault the man for that. His antics are quite enjoyable to see in addition to all that.
    Found this on one of those funny 'Videogame logic' websites. SO TRUE!!!

h00B22464

I hope there are more Metal Gear ones