Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited December 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Well, and in the scene where he's saluting The Boss's grave at the end of MGS3, he looked a lot like Kurt Russel to me.

EDIT: Because I'm now in an unintentionally strong Metal Gear mood, I've changed my pic to that of Big Boss from MGS4.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Lol I know what you mean. I'm in a massive MGS mood also, so much so I'm thinking of starting a MGS marathon from tomorrow. I'm also thinking of getting a tatoo of the fox hound logo, liquid and solidus to add to my tatts of BB, Snake and Ocelot.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Which FOXHOUND logo? The fox with the knife in its mouth?

FOXHOUND_Logo.png

Or the fox with an uzi?

SFG_FOXHOUND.jpg

My favorite is the fox with the uzi, though the most badass is the fox with the knife in its mouth.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 4,813
    As far as I'm concerned the knife one is the ONLY one

The uzi one looks like if Metal Gear was some sort of E rated game on the Wii
    The uzi one looks like if Metal Gear was some sort of E rated game on the Wii

Though, on Meryl's shoulder, that tattoo looks damn sexy.
    As far as I'm concerned the knife one is the ONLY one

This!

Should be getting it done by the end of the week.
    According to Joakim Mogren's Twitter (posted on the previous page), more news about The Phantom Pain will be revealed "when @Hideo_Kojima chooses to release it". Quite the hint from somebody who's been trying to hide any involvement by the Metal Gear team this entire time. Somebody else also called him out on his Twitter posting times, which are much more likely for somebody living and working in Tokyo, Japan (where Konami and KojiPro HQ are located) than in Stockholm, Sweden (where Moby Dick Studio is supposedly located).
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I prefer the Fox/Knife logo

Having played the Big Boss games and knowing what he supposedly becomes in the future.....I have a hard time calling him the bad guy.... because he was never a bad guy..just wanted a place for soldiers to live and fight for hire. It was countries like America who considered him the bad guy because they didn't approve of Outer Heaven.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 4,813
    ^ Which is why I'd be all over a remake of MGX & MG2: Solid Snake

They are considered 'canon', but they're like an old 8-bit game that most people haven't played. Metal Gear Solid was the general public's intro to the series. We need to see what went down in the old games; with real cutscenes, not stuff like this:

Metal%20Gear%202_0675.png
    The only real problem is that Kojima has no interest in remaking the games because they're actually pretty available. PS2 owners can buy MGS3 Subsistence, which has them on disc 2, PS3/360/Vita owners can buy the HD Collection, which has them in the MGS3 section and PC owners can find English translations of them easily if they look hard enough. A lot of fans, myself included, would love to see 3D remakes of them (at the very least, Metal Gear 2), but Kojima just wants to keep making new stories (and I can't blame him for that). Hell, I'd love to see a 3D remake of Metal Gear Ghost Babel (or Metal Gear Solid, here in the US), the GBC game. The storyline in that game is actually pretty good, and they could even canonize it if they remove Mei Ling from the game.
  • True but the biggest reason I never got into MGX & MG2 was... well... they suck, lol
    Seriously I could never play more than 10 minutes! I looked up the ending on youtube this morning and that's a start
    True but the biggest reason I never got into MGX & MG2 was... well... they suck, lol
    Seriously I could never play more than 10 minutes! I looked up the ending on youtube this morning and that's a start

Well, for me, MG1 was the hardest to get into. It hasn't aged well (truly, neither has MG2), and so many games in the series have surpassed it in both style and fun. MG2 is where the series started to take on its current shape. In fact, most of MGS1 is a complete rip off of MG2.

1. Snake is called out of retirement by Colonel Campbell.
    2. He infiltrates a base that is at some point turned into the next Outer Heaven.
    3. A female accomplice of Snake uses the frequency 140.15 (MG2: Holly, MGS1: Meryl)
    4. A former ally returns as a cyborg ninja and fights Snake (MG2: Schneider, MGS1: Gray Fox)
    5. Gray Fox secretly contacts Snake and acts as his informant, saving him from traps.
    6. Hind D fight.
    7. A fist fight with Gray Fox.
    8. An item changing shape to do something important (MG2: Gustava's broach, MGS1: PAL Key)
    9. A member of Snake's family being the enemy (MG2: Big Boss, MGS1: Liquid Snake)
    10. A battle against four enemies in an elevator (MG2: Four Horsemen, MGS1: stealth guards)
    11. A running battle in a tower with a group of guards (MG2: the Tower Building, MGS1: Communications Tower)
    12. A final battle in which Snake has to defeat his enemy with little equipment.
    13. A sequence in which Snake and the female protagonist must escape before being killed (I say "female protagonist" because the Meryl ending of MGS1 is the canon ending).
    14. Snake has to follow a disguised female into the women's restroom.
    15. An engineer with a prior connection to the Metal Gear weapon is involved (note: Otacon's connection to Metal Gear didn't arise until his father, Huey[1], invented ZEKE in Peace Walker).
    16. Snake's infiltrations into both Zanzibarland and Shadow Moses require going through vents outside large doors he's told to ignore.

There are others, but I can't remember some of them right now.

[1] Huey drowned in a pool, and nearly took his step-daughter with him. Ya gotta wonder, why the hell did anybody allow Huey near the pool anyway? The man was in an electric wheelchair, for cryin' out loud! It's amazing that Emma wasn't electrocuted!
    Okay, everybody, here's something new from Joakim Mogren.

In the description of this video is written: mhgls35

A lot of comments are suggesting that this either means MGS5 is Half-Life 3 (oh, God, please, no) or that Kojima Productions is co-developing Half-Life 3 alongside MGS5. If anybody can tell me what the video is supposed to be (some weird sounds is all I hear), I'd love to know.

Edit: I see faint lettering in some language appearing at around the 2 second mark and disappearing before the 3 second mark. If anybody can figure out what those are, tell me.
    All I hear is some weird noise.....
    All I hear is some weird noise.....

As I said, that's all I hear, but look on the left side of the image, around the middle-left. There's something there that briefly appears.
    I Can't make it out...its to jumbled together.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Half Life 3? My intrest in this has suddenly shot up.

I've never really got into Metal Gear (I know Snake from smash bros though), but Half Life 2 is one of my favourite games of all time (1 was pretty good too). I got all the DLC for it.

So is it some kind of crossover? I'm excited now. I hope Half Life 3 is involved in some way, I've been waiting years for that. I didn't get anything from the video though, just some wierd noise and some blurred writing.

Titles intresting. I can't think of "no more" having anything to do with Half Life though. Does it relate to Metal Gear at all?
  • Just chiming in, sorry if I have my facts mixed up-- now the rumor is that Phantom Pain is Half Life 3? I don't understand how that could even be....
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Just chiming in, sorry if I have my facts mixed up-- now the rumor is that Phantom Pain is Half Life 3? I don't understand how that could even be....

Description on the YT video @Agent007391 posted is mhgls35

Unjumble the letters and you get

mgs5

hl3

I'm holding out hope that it's true, just because I REALLY want a new Half Life game. Along with Nightfire and Duke Nukem, Half Life 2 is probably my favourite shooting game.
    News from Joakim Mogren's Twitter (posted on the previous page): The Phantom Pain will be released this year.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Currently playing through MGS4 now that I've recently beaten 2 & 3.

This is like the fifth or sixth time I've played through this so I'm mixing it up a bit: In level one I played with the 'suit' with 'Otacon face camo'- it's surreal as you just look like an ordinary dude sneaking around. Actually with how long my hair is currently, it's almost as if I'm paying as myself! (minus the glasses that is)

Then in level two I'm using 'young Snake face camo' with the South American Rebel Disguise-- it looks just like Big Boss from MGS3

Just a nice way to spice up a great game :)
    News from Joakim Mogren's Twitter (posted on the previous page): The Phantom Pain will be released this year.
    Can't wait to hear more about this one-- news has been dry lately...

Photorealism Through the Eyes of a FOX: The Core of Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (Presented by Kojima Productions)

"Join Hideo Kojima and the Kojima Productions staff as they demonstrate and explain the workflow and development process of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on the Fox Engine. This session will mainly cover the key components and unique methods Kojima Productions utilizes in the graphics arena to create visuals seen in METAL GEAR SOLID GROUND ZEROES. Participants can expect an overview of topics such as asset creation and rendering techniques used in the next METAL GEAR SOLID. Enjoy the session as Kojima Productions unveils the FOX Engine for the first time."

http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/824166

There better be a g*ddamn trailer happening. That, and I hope Kojima stops masquerading as Joakim Mogren, gives us an official announcement.
    ^ my thoughts exactly!
    I specifically want a trailer in English. I found this a few weeks ago:

and while these guys are good, they're just not the same as David Hayter and Robin Atkin Downes. (Though, that guy who plays the burn victim should be hired to play the guy in the final game, unless I end up right and it's Gene, then I want Steve Blum back.)
    Alright, who else but me is watching the live Ground Zeroes presentation tomorrow? There's gonna be a new trailer, and hopefully some light shed on this whole Phantom Pain business.
    I would love to watch the presentation, but I have some errands to run all day. I will have to catch the video tomorrow night.
    one of my appointments got canceled...so I am on stand by waiting for this show to start. 2 minutes to go!
    I'm on standby also.