Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    terrible music by the way...they should be using MGS music!
    edited March 2013 Posts: 784
    OMFG that trailer was awesome!!!!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ocelot on the horse?
    9 year coma
    No David Hayter!!!
    Its either Null or Maybe Volgin.....????????
    Grayfox I'm sure.
    Mantis!!!
    wow it could be , never thought about either of those.
    Null is Grayfox lol
    doubleoego wrote:
    Null is Grayfox lol

Yup, to me the figure demonstrated characteristics of Volgin...the way he walked and lifted his arms.

This demonstration of the Fox Engine is incredible!!
    Yeah, I think it was Mantis messing with Snake's mind by projecting a hallucination of Volgin.
    I am so pumped right now!!! I have so many questions!!!! This may be a bigger build up to this game than MGS4 for me. I really enjoy the adventure of Big Boss.
    MGS4 is my least favorite because it felt the most American and as epic as it was, it just lacked that Metal Gear feel that the others have. It's only saving grace for me was the return to Shadow Moses, Big Mama revealing herself to be Snake's mother (surrogate) and Big Boss showing up at the end.

So BB is in a coma for 9 years, I think it's fair to wonder if Solid, Liquid and Solidus may show up in some capacity. I wonder what's been retconned in terms of the time line because we know in the mid 80s, Solidus was already leading wars in Liberia and part of this game is set in the 80s.

At this point, Ground Zeroes and The phantom pain is the last game in which we'll wholly play as BB.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 4,813
    What did you think of Big Boss' robotic hand?

I'm gonna take a guess and say that shot of him on the bike was from the ending
    edited March 2013 Posts: 11,139
    At this point, I've kind of stopped caring about certai details such as missing hands. Ever since that backtrack from what Kojima tried to introduce in MGS2 with Liquid and Ocelot, I now just kind of go with it and see how he's going to explain it.

My biggest question is, wtf is Hayter??
    They probably hiding Hayters involvement (atleast that is what I am thinking).

I was talking with my brother about how Big Boss is in a coma for 9 years....is this why they wanted the clones? and how fast do clones develop? Could Solid Snake (the rookie) actually make an appearance in this game fighting Big Boss?

Who is the guy helping Big Boss through the hallways in the hospital? Miller seemed to care about this guy in the beginning of the trailer??

so many questions?
    Well, initially, back in 1998/1999 when MGS came out, it was canon that While BB was in a coma, they extracted his genes to create the LET (Les Enfants Terribles) Project, which resulted in BB being cloned, thus creating the snake babies aka Solid, Liquid and Solidus.

However, Solid and Liquid are twins and they're not perfect clones of BB. Solidus however, is a perfect clone of BB and because of this, his aging accelerated at an alarming rate. When he should have been a kid, he was a fully grown adult.

The snake boys were originally born in 1972 and by the mid 80s Solidus was already leading wars in Liberia. That would have made him 13 and yet he looked in his early 30s/late 20s.

As for the guy helping BB, I think it's Miller.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, all of you astound me with your MGS knowledge! ^:)^
    @Brady, as a life long fan of the series, it's almost like a religion.

Also, regarding the BB's hand, remember, the only time we've seen BB prior to the games set during and after MGS3 was during Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake which came out in '87 and '89 respectively and those games were hardly showcasing graphics to highlight how the characters really looked, so it's easy to just assume that he had the prosthetic at that time, as it wasn't important to the stories going on. However, at the end of MGS4, BB's mashed up body from his last encounter with Solid Snake was repaired using body parts from Liquid and Solidus but interestingly enough, they didn't bother to give him back his missing eye. I put that down to Naomi and Eva wanting to keep BB's iconic look.
    Coooooool

phantom-pain-trailer-metal-gear-solid-v-snake-jacket.jpg-152083d1364413346

@doubleoego, what are 'Diamond Dogs'? Has that been in another MGS game? I don't remember ever hearing that term
    I'm not too sure but I think Diamond Dogs maybe another faction BB establishes after BB's base gets blown skyhigh. Interestingly enough, from a thematic POV, Diamond Dogs also sheds light on when part of the game is set, i.e. 1984 with regards to Bowie's album.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I doubt they're hiding his involvement. My guess is that he wasn't available to do the voice acting yet, so they put in a quick replacement voice. Snake didn't talk for very long.
    I was talking with my brother about how Big Boss is in a coma for 9 years....is this why they wanted the clones? and how fast do clones develop? Could Solid Snake (the rookie) actually make an appearance in this game fighting Big Boss?

According to Big Mama, the Twin Snakes (Solid and Liquid, no mention of Solidus) were created to be Zero's trump card against Big Boss, and his replacement. They were already born before Peace Walker (MGS3 ending timeline: 1972 - The Les Enfants Terrible; MPW: 1974), and this game clearly takes place after Peace Walker, as Mother Base is being destroyed, probably by the XOF troops from the Ground Zeroes trailer. As to whether or not young Solid Snake shows up, anyone's guess is as good as mine.
    Who is the guy helping Big Boss through the hallways in the hospital? Miller seemed to care about this guy in the beginning of the trailer??

Kiefer Sutherland. As to who he actually is... Maybe he's Chico, all grown up. Though I swear I heard him say "Call me Ishmael".
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well, initially, back in 1998/1999 when MGS came out, it was canon that While BB was in a coma, they extracted his genes to create the LET (Les Enfants Terribles) Project, which resulted in BB being cloned, thus creating the snake babies aka Solid, Liquid and Solidus.

1998 was when MGS1 came out. Also, while the English translation makes it seem as though the DNA was taken from Big Boss during his coma, the Japanese version merely states that Big Boss was sterile, and therefore couldn't have children of his own. No mention of any coma.

(1974/75-1983/84 and 1999-2014; my question is this: Why the f*ck does Big Boss like being in a coma?)
    doubleoego wrote:
    However, Solid and Liquid are twins and they're not perfect clones of BB. Solidus however, is a perfect clone of BB and because of this, his aging accelerated at an alarming rate. When he should have been a kid, he was a fully grown adult.

Solidus was aged appropriately because he was meant to become President at a certain time. He was also meant to train child soldiers and fight during the Liberian Civil War at a certain time. Snake and Liquid were aging quickly because they were imperfect clones, Solidus was aged on purpose.

Also, note this: Snake didn't begin his aging until after Shadow Moses, and it took speed after the Manhattan Incident. Snake's (and perhaps Liquid's, if he'd lived) accelerated aging may have only happened because he came in proximity with cloned Big Boss DNA. (This makes a bit more sense when you look at the SOP system, which was set up to react specifically dependent on which clone's DNA was programmed into it. Snake and Liquid's DNA may have been programmed to accelerate the aging process because of proximity to other cloned DNA from the same donor.)
    doubleoego wrote:
    As for the guy helping BB, I think it's Miller.

Then where did the 3rd man go? During the beginning, when everybody's bleeding on a table, Miller specifically asks "What about him?" regarding the person who's POV we're seeing this through. Plus, if the character were Miller, then why hide his identity? He know from MG2:SS and MGS1 that Miller looks relatively the same, if a little older, after the Peace Walker affair. And, it's likely the character would be voiced by Robin Atkin Downes (as Miller is at the beginning of the trailer) and not Kiefer Sutherland.
    doubleoego wrote:
    but interestingly enough, they didn't bother to give him back his missing eye.

That eyepatch is trademarked. Otacon had legal troubles copying it with the Solid Eye, so he swapped sides and copied Solidus instead. This can all be learned if you read between the lines of the credits (beLIEve me).
    edited March 2013 Posts: 784

Kiefer Sutherland. As to who he actually is... Maybe he's Chico, all grown up. Though I swear I heard him say "Call me Ishmael".

I thought for sure that was Keifer's voice! Yeah it could be Chico, since 9 years have passed.

I just downloaded the trailer in 1080, so multiple views are on the way. I do have to find good quality video of the extras shown in that presentation though.

edit: here is the link with the added gameplay video:
    As much as I dislike it, it's not too much of a stretch to get a whole different voice for Big Boss, after everything he's been through- plus didn't Hayter (and Kojima for that matter) say that they were about done with the series?

BUT

Wouldn't it be something if SOLID Snake showed up at the end.... voiced by David Hayter?
    I dislike it too, but my whole thinking for this game was to have Big Boss fighting Solid Snake at the end of the game leading into what we already know. What if there were two endings...what we see through Big Boss eyes and what we see through Solid Snake's eyes. We know Solid Snake wins the match up and defeats Big Boss...but Snake didn't know BB survived until the second encounter.

There are so many things that could happen. But David Hayter is a must for sure!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't even know anything about this series beyond some of the stuff I remember from MGS4, but everyones' enthusiasm even has me pumped. I love seeing you all so passionate about a series outside of Bond like I am with Sherlock Holmes.
    what you need to do is play MGS1 on PS1. you will not regret it and you would be doing yourself a favor by educating yourself with the history of gaming. It's that good! B-)
    I've been a fan since MGS on the Playstation Brady; I thought there was nobody cooler than Solid Snake.
    Until we got to MGS3-- a prequel where you play as the man Solid Snake was cloned from! Big Boss!!

If my (and many others) guess is correct, with MGS5 we are now seeing the untold story of 'Les Enfants Terribles': the creation of the clones. And with that, the possibility of Big Boss vs. Solid Snake!!
    SO I'm super stoked for this game!!
    LET has already happened. It took place in 1972. The events of MGS5 are from around 1975 to 1984. So snake, liquid and solidus are preteens, well liquid and solid look their age but solidus on the other hand would look like a grown man.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say at some point, we're going to get a remake of metal gear and metal gear 2:SS. Given the time line of MGS5 and the fact that Kojima himself has stated he's not done with SS, it stands to reason that MGS5 is likely to be the last time we'll play as BB as the next major event takes place in 1995 and we all know what that is.