Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ground Zeroes is in 1975, while The Phantom Pain will be in 1984. Granted, it may take place completely in 1984, with the post credits scene being a remake of a scene where Snake and Big Boss talk to one another in MG1 (either just before their fight or even just a voiced version of the very first lines, either one would be awesome to me). That could get Hayter in the game, and give me the chance to hear two of my favorite actors together for the first time. I still don't know if I like that Kiefer is taking over, but I'll still play the game anyway.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Hot on the heels of the announcement that David Hayter's been kicked out and replaced by Jack Bauer - ahem! Kiefer Sutherland... We get our next trailer for MGSV. (I gotta ask, Kojima: Why no Ground Zeroes love?) The trailer:

It shows us the massive scale of the game (they actually have to fast forward to get through the huge amount of space Afghanistan has), it shows us that not only has Big Boss lost an arm, but Kaz has lost an arm and a leg (let's get him a peg leg and a hook hand, I seriously think Kojima is trying to trump George Lucas on amputations), Ocelot's back with a new (very unfitting) voice, you can hang over the side of horses (Hanging Mode 2.0) and that Big Boss is going to be stepping on Altair and Ezio's toes this time around. Oh, and it'll also be on the Xbox One, hopefully in addition to the PS3, 360 and the PS4 (the latter of which it hasn't been announced for yet)

All around, the trailer was awesome, showing off some new gameplay, sweet new CQC (here's hoping we actually get to perform the kinds of moves that Big Boss does on the Ocelots in their introductory cutscene, or that Snake does to Big Mama's guys just before we meet her).

We get to see some new characters (a sniper named Quiet, a kid desperately trying to be Kiefer Sutherland named Eli, the guy from the GZ trailer who is now called Skull Face, an old man who's probably an outrageous pervert named Code Talker and "Those Who Do Not Exist"), plus some old characters doing new stuff (the aforementioned now-handicapped Kaz, the strangely voiced Ocelot, a Huey who can actually stand on his legs now that he's developed leg braces and Big Boss who now goes by the stupid codename of "Punished Snake"). I still think that kid with the gasmask is a young Psycho Mantis, but I'll wait for more info before I settle on that.

Here's hoping this game turns out as awesome as this trailer showed us. Oh, plus we get our first real taste of Kiefer Sutherland playing Big Boss. It's strange to hear, but I think I can live with it a little more (and at one point there's a clock on screen that just has to be a jab at 24).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I don't know....looks good but the trailer didn't blow me away like I was expecting. Sutherland as BB I can live with and the game mechanics, gameplay and stealth abilities have improved a great deal which I'm happy about, not quite as impressive as the stealth action of the new splinter cell game IMO but still, will suffice.

Also, there is massive speculation that the kid, Eli is Liquid Snake.
    You mean... Eliquid Snake?!
    Ha!
    I wouldn't mind Liquid showing up in some way. We know he at least trained with Big Boss for a little while (BB told Liquid he was the inferior clone, after all), so training him as a child (possibly in the middle of Afghanistan) could give us an opportunity to see this. We can also see Ocelot's relationship to the Mujahideen.

Now, be honest, who didn't think of The Living Daylights?
    Yes, I immediately thought if Kara's we're free line.

But yeah by about age 13 Liquid was a mercenary and blah blah blah, I'm sure you're up on the history and Eli looks about 12/13 plus just look at the little git, looks and even acts like a begrudged brat and his tag line underpins it all the more.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, I immediately thought if Kara's we're free line.

But yeah by about age 13 Liquid was a mercenary and blah blah blah, I'm sure you're up on the history and Eli looks about 12/13 plus just look at the little git, looks and even acts like a begrudged brat and his tag line underpins it all the more.

It may just be me, but I also think he looks a little like Kiefer Sutherland's character in Stand By Me.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited June 2013 Posts: 784
    Great trailer, but tomorrow Kojima will release a 9 minute trailer according to his twitter. So I am holding out alittle longer, maybe some other crucial intel on the plot/story will be released.

1003679_10151430762255986_545028884_n.png

doubleoego wrote:
    Also, there is massive speculation that the kid, Eli is Liquid Snake.

My brother and I both looked at each other and said...hhhmm that's gotta be Liquid???

Kinda disappointed with Ocelot's voice. They surely could have used the original voice from MGS1.

I am not at all disappointed in Sutherland's voice however....He will work out fine!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, that was mind-blowing!
    edited June 2013 Posts: 7,854
    Kinda disappointed with Ocelot's voice. They surely could have used the original voice from MGS1.

I'm very disappointed with Ocelot's voice. This guy does not sound like the middle ground between Josh Keaton and Patrick Zimmerman.
    I am not at all disappointed in Sutherland's voice however....He will work out fine!

I didn't mind the little bit we heard in this trailer, but I'm going to wait to hear some more before I truly judge it. He spoke all of two lines in this trailer (and with his silence at the beginning of the trailer, I didn't think he was going to say anything), and that's not much to gauge a performance on.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this while rewatching the trailer. Way back at PAX 2012, when we saw the first Ground Zeroes trailer, there was a line that said "Snake is back on FOX", obviously meaning the FOX Engine. Then, a week ago, we learn that Big Boss is being voiced by Kiefer Sutherland, famous for playing Jack Bauer on 24. 24 is a show on the network FOX (at least here in the US).

Coincidence?

Also, the idea of Sutherland playing Big Boss was given to Kojima by Avi Arad, who produced the X-Men movies (well, and about a dozen other Marvel movies)... for FOX.

Anyone else notice these interesting FOX coincidences?
    I didn't notice that...interesting. The pieces of the puzzle are falling into place it seems.
    Great trailer, but tomorrow Kojima will release a 9 minute trailer according to his twitter. So I am holding out alittle longer, maybe some other crucial intel on the plot/story will be released.
    1003679_10151430762255986_545028884_n.png

Wow, here is is:

From what I can tell, the only new footage is at the beginning, but it's a couple minutes worth, and it's bloody!!! Not for the faint of heart because
    it shows them cutting open a kid who's still alive and retrieving a package that was left in him (or her, couldn't really tell)
    Open surgery on Paz with no anaesthetic. Chico needs to die btw; the treacherous little git.
    I would just like to say that there's one character in this game who has my absolute favorite name, because it's so f*cking stupid: SKULL FACE!!!!
    Hahaha! But he does look badass though.
    A minor note on Eli.

"Les Enfants Terribles" was a 1950s film but was originally a novel, the two main characters were "two siblings, Elisabeth and Paul, who isolate themselves from the world as they grow up; this isolation is shattered by the stresses of their adolescence"

"Elisabeth and Paul"

Liquid Snake.
    Random Metal Gear Trivia (TM): "Les Enfants Terribles" was also the name of the organization that Metal Gear 2's Running Man worked for. This was changed for re-releases.

EDIT: I just learned from an article on Gamespot that the MGSV trailer we saw at E3, was the current-gen version, and the next-gen version of the game will look significantly better, which makes me want to ask JUST HOW THE F*CK CAN THAT GAME LOOK ANY BETTER?!?!
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Ok, something nobody's talked about: I just looked at the redband trailer again, and about two minutes in we see Revolver torturing Huey (you can briefly see the braces on his legs)
    and in the same room with them, is this guy:

Screenshot2013-06-13at51943PM_zps40e16b83.jpg

Now just who in the hell is that??? Looks almost like Snake, but that would be impossible
    EDIT: I just learned from an article on Gamespot that the MGSV trailer we saw at E3, was the current-gen version, and the next-gen version of the game will look significantly better, which makes me want to ask JUST HOW THE F*CK CAN THAT GAME LOOK ANY BETTER?!?!
    Jesus.... :O I figured we were looking at the next gen version too!
    That's Miller. Pretty obvious. Looks like Miller, trademark shades and the diamond dogs insignia on the hat.

My thoughts exactly. The trailer was graphically stunning..
    Ok, something nobody's talked about: I just looked at the redband trailer again, and about two minutes in we see Revolver torturing Huey (you can briefly see the braces on his legs)
    and in the same room with them, is this guy:

Screenshot2013-06-13at51943PM_zps40e16b83.jpg

Now just who in the hell is that??? Looks almost like Snake, but that would be impossible

It's Miller. The shades, plus we learn from the 6 minute version of the trailer that Miller loses his right arm, and this guy has no right arm. Now, my question, why does Miller have Ocelot torturing Huey? Did Huey sell out MSF?
    Jesus.... :O I figured we were looking at the next gen version too!

If every company were to switch over to the FOX Engine, we'd have the best looking games ever.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,813
    I guess it is Miller now that it's been pointed out 8-}

My guess is this sets up for what we saw in the very first Metal Gear Solid game, where Solid Snake refers to Miller as 'Master Miller' (Even though I know Miller in that game was actually Liquid in disguise) Somewhere down the road Miller must become enemies with Boss

*edit- but then again I guess that doesn't explain why Miller & Big Boss are wearing Diamond Dog insignias.... Guess we'll have to wait and see!
    It sets up the events of metal gear and metal gear 2:solid snake. Miller was called master during his time at Fox Hound, before and during solid snake's own time there as a fox hound operative.
    Miller was called "Master" Miller as a sign of respect by those who trained under him. He was also called "Hell Master", though I'm sure that's been retconed now.

Now, at some point Miller and Big Boss do start to disagree, and I'm going to assume one of two things:

1) They split sometime just before MG1. Miller's not spoken of at all in that game, and possibly learned about Big Boss's real plans for Outer Heaven some time before Snake was sent in. He probably chose not to tell Zero about Big Boss leading Outer Heaven, otherwise BB wouldn't have been around to send Snake on his mission. At this moment, Miller, Ocelot and Huey (maybe EVA) are the only ones alive during MG1 who know Big Boss leads both FOXHOUND and Outer Heaven. Zero may know, but I doubt that.
    2) They split before MG1, but he then returns to FOXHOUND after MG1, and presumably Snake stays there for a little while, too.
    I guess it is Miller now that it's been pointed out

Well, sorry to burst yours, mine and a few other people's bubble, but apparently a Fecebook post (or something) suggested that this was a different character, and not Miller. I learned this from the Metal Gear Wiki.
    It's miller. And the metal gear wiki isn't exactly all too reliable, much like the crappy metal gear database.
    doubleoego wrote:
    It's miller. And the metal gear wiki isn't exactly all too reliable, much like the crappy metal gear database.

Normally, I wouldn't believe it either, but I think it actually had a link to the Fecebook post that mentioned this.

Best thing about MGS4 Database: It's free.
    Now, the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection's been out for almost a month. I myself don't own it (I don't have $50 to spend at the drop of a hat), but the two most important parts of the Legacy Collection (to me, anyway), the Digital Graphic Novels, have been uploaded to YouTube, so I've seen those (and downloaded them, thanks also to YouTube). I think I'll leave a couple of reviews for them.

Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel

Well, some of the weird dialogue that I read in the comic book has been brought to life now by David Hayter, Paul Eiding, Debi Mae West and the whole gang. Some of them are missing, sadly. Greg Eagles, Allen Lurie and Rob Paulson didn't return and have been replaced by James Mathis, Peter Renaday and Larc Spies respectively (Donald Anderson, Kenneth Baker and Gray Fox, if you didn't know who they played originally). It sounds so strange hearing Naomi refer to the Zanzibarland Riot like it was some sort of intense war on the scale of Operation Iraqi Freedom, but like I said, the comic's weird dialogue has been brought to life.

David Hayter has chosen his MGS4 "Old Snake" voice to play Snake here, while Jennifer Hale's voice sounds a little bit more like her Emma Emmerich voice mixed in with her Naomi Hunter voice. Doug Stone, who made Psycho Mantis sound suitably threatening and psychotic in both MGS1 and Twin Snakes, now turns in his best performance yet. The rest of the cast sounds just fine with the exception of Peter Lurie's Vulcan Raven, who doesn't actually sound like Vulcan Raven anymore, and sounds closer to the voice he uses for Marvel Comics villain Sabretooth in X-Men Legends 2. James Mathis and Larc Spies sound right at home as the DARPA Chief and Gray Fox, though it sounds strange to hear Richard Ames' voice come out of Kenneth Baker's mouth.

The story doesn't suffer in any way. Snake gets his PSG1 before fighting Gray Fox, and there's only one Communications Tower now, but other than that, there's no detracting changes (unlike MGS2, which I'll discuss below). Interestingly, Ocelot's ending phone call has been put back into the story, after being missing from the comic book (don't know if it was in the original PSP release, or the Japanese DVD release, but it's not in the comic book at all), and a lot of the dialogue has been tweaked. I always get a kick out of Gray Fox losing a fist fight to Snake earlier on in the comic, but lifting up and throwing Metal Gear REX later. The nuke building 1F and blast furnace are omitted completely, but there was nothing important there anyway.

All in all, not a bad way to experience the MGS1 storyline, and you can definately see some love for the series coming from Ashley Wood's art, which at times perfectly imitates the visuals from Twin Snakes. Kris Oprisko's dialogue gets cheesy some times ("Other than a difference in skin tone, he could be my twin. Background murky, but one thing's for sure, he's the enemy. The solid versus the liquid"), but otherwise stays in line with the game. For a final score, I'd give it an 8.5/10

Metal Gear Solid 2 Digital Graphic Novel

Here... here is where I get critical. To start at the beginning, the tanker portion of the game is split up into three sections, all of them played out of order. It starts off with the RAY picture taking, later shows the Olga fight, then does an overview of the whole thing while showing the RAY extraction. Ocelot here doesn't even pretend to be on Gurlukovich's side, and he's snapping pictures of Snake like some kind of perverted voyeur.

Then we get to the plant. First, we begin by being confusing. A title shows up saying "2 Years Later", then shows Snake fighting Liquid on top of REX. We quickly learn that this is a simulation that Raiden (never going under the codename of "Snake", by the way) is taking. Raiden then gets a phone call from Solidus, asking for his help. Raiden freaks out and nearly beats an answer out of Rose, who he must think is Solidus, for some reason. Rose informs Raiden that he's been selected for the Big Shell operation, treating the situation like it's been an ongoing threat for the past few days or some kind of training exercise. Cut to originally deleted character Karen Hojo saying some of the Colonel's lines, and then Raiden's swimming into the Strut A Deep Sea Dock.

Everything from here until Raiden meets Stillman goes pretty much the same, but then Stillman's cowering in fear while Raiden can't fight Fortune, then he's helping Raiden deal with Fatman, then he's blowing up on the other side of the Big Shell after Raiden's already killed Fatman. Ocelot's hallucinating Liquid (and The Sorrow) while Snake's nearly getting seen by Olga and the ninja is talking to a bunch of 0s and 1s.

(By the way, I know I've spoiled a lot of this, but I feel you all need to know.)

Then, Raiden deals with the Harrier, Solidus reveals himself and the knowledge that Pliskin is Snake, then the Harrier fight happens pretty much as it does in the game. After this, Snake explains the tanker to Raiden while Solidus explains his plans to President Johnson using most of the same dialogue that Johnson says to Raiden in the game. Raiden then goes to save the President (and have a fist fight with Ocelot) while Snake CQCs Vamp and rescues Emma. Raiden still shows up just in time to shoot Vamp on the oil fence, and Emma dies shortly after putting the virus into Arsenal's computer.

From here until the Solidus fight is pretty much the same, excepting the Colonel's dialogue under the effects of the virus, a Solidus-induced memory for Raiden (where he severs people's heads for his tenth birthday, we finally get some hints at why Raiden was called "Ripper"), and the fact that naked Raiden in the comic can still beat the sh*t out of guards like he's clothed while we just get a couple of crappy punches and a stupid roundhouse kick.

The Solidus fight gets a big overhaul. Raiden gets knocked out early, and Snake is the to finish Solidus off using Raiden's sword. We get some decent banter between brothers, but other than that it's a little stupid. Oh, and Raiden talks to the AI Colonel while he's unconscious. The ending of the game then ensues.

Voice acting is once again just fine. My one problem is when Snake says "Great shot kid, that was one in a million" after Raiden downs the Harrier. David Hayter saying it just doesn't have the same feeling as Harrison Ford. Rose is now voiced by Kari Whalgren instead of Lara Cody, President Johnson is now voiced by H. Richard Greene (Hot Coldman) instead of whoever the hell played him in the game, and Scott Dolph is now voiced by Phil LaMarr instead of Kevin Michael Richardson (probably because he's busy being in every animated series on television). David Hayter's still using his "Old Snake" voice, and Patrick Zimmerman also plays Liquid when he's possessing Ocelot, though Cam Clarke still plays Liquid during the hallucinations. Quinton Flynn is still good as Raiden, though he uses his "Ripper Mode" voice from Rising near the end of the comic, for no apparent reason. It's actually quite hilarious hearing him say some of the most normal lines from the game using the "Ripper Mode" voice.

The artwork is still good, though Solidus now looks to be about ten feet tall when he's wearing his cloak. I don't think there's a single scene where you can actually see Snake's face, thanks to a constant darkness cast over his head area. Fortune now looks to be white for some reason (this constantly happens to Vulcan Raven in various artists depictions). The backgrounds almost all look the same, but the action is so centered on the characters that it's all forgivable.

My final word on this abomination that has Metal Gear Solid 2's name on it is this: It can, and should, never replace the game. There are so many deviations that it's insane, and it's just plain weird when Snake just starts using CQC at the Vamp fight. I bet this is probably around the time Ashley Wood was contracted for Portable Ops' cutscenes, so he was probably just used to it by then. I am quite certain there's one part where Snake has an eyepatch, but I can't really remember. My score for this one would be 6.4/10.

There you go, there's my thoughts on the Digital Graphic Novels. Everything I said about them holds true for the print versions with the obvious exception of the voice acting. The music for both of them is taken straight from the games, so you will hear "Yell Dead Cell" when Raiden's fighting Fatman, and MGS1's ending theme during MGS1's credits. The sound effects are a little off - for some reason the Codec is given MGS3's radio noises - but they're all still from the Metal Gear series.

I hope you still watch them and form your own opinions. Watch them objectively, don't watch them through the filter of my reviews.
    I'll give it a watch but you're right, the games are canon. Everything else is just a reinterpretation that can be ignored.