It just occured to me that I've never seen an Austin Powers movie...

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited March 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,691
I've never felt the need to watch such a broad satire of Bond. Am I alone in this? And for those that have seen them, are they funny at all? Or just cringeworthy?

Comments

They're funny.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They are pretty funny; I like 1 and 3 the most.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    They're funny. I enjoyed each film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How can this be? Aren't they an insult to the Bond legacy?

I DO like the Wayne's World movies though.... :))
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    chrisisall wrote:

I think it was all in good humor. They aren't an insult but more a tribute to the 60s.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

Of course not. Mike Myers loves the series, especially Sean. He was at Sean's AFI tribute and gave a wonderful speech to him, in his kilt as well.
    Wayne's World is better but they're pretty funny once you get past the Family Guy esque Brit stereotypes. The funniest bits are with Dr Evil and Seth Green.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yeah Baby! Austin-Powers-James-Bond---24621_zpsba974907.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I think the third film drops in quality a tad, but overall they're pretty funny films. As mentioned, they're just comedic tributes to the Bond legacy as well as to mid-to-late 60s culture. I know a few people who cannot stand the Austin Powers character and his humour (it's an acquired taste for some), but he never fails to make me laugh. The films also have decent casts, as well as some great cameos. I say give it a chance.
    I actually saw Austin Powers before I saw my first Bond movie!! Still funny to me- but after seeing some BOnd movies I definitely went back and appreciated a TON that flew over me head before!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Don't forget to watch OSS 117 : Nest of Spies (and then the second if you liked it), which is also a tribute to the 60's 007 - Sean Connery is even named in the French trailer (below I put the international one), and you'll recognize the fights are straight from Bob Simmons' book. Hey you don't get much parodies/genre movies that are made by an Oscar-heavy director, with an Oscar-heavy actor, and an Oscar-heavy composer :)

Ironically, the bisexual joke in SF may cause problem for the creation of a 3rd OSS 117, because before that they felt the "serious spys" movies would never dare to go there and then it was something to use... (In the 1st OSS 117, he's angry some thinks he may be gay because of the Turkish baths, in the 2nd, he's having a homosexual experience while on LSD but refuses to accept it, and then in the 3rd, he was supposed to even go further).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    They were great fun! Check them out.

Yeah, baby! ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have wanted to see these OSS films for a long time, ever since I first heard of them. Jean looks like a French Sean Connery, and evokes the 60s Bond perfectly. I love that the film actually uses some old style ways of choreographing fights and I think even uses a green screen to show traveling at one moment.
    The first two Powers' films I saw before I was into Bond, being under ten I didn't really get the sexual references, or the Bond references. But I first saw a Bond film because I liked Austin Powers :P
  • I love that the film actually uses some old style ways of choreographing fights and I think even uses a green screen to show traveling at one moment.
    It's true retro projection like in the old days, the actors are filmed in front of a movie screen (we see it in the making of). They also didn't use any recent camera tools like steadycam or dollies etc. They are really intended to be "period movies", like "The Artist" they did after.

The first movie is really funny, the second one a poor rehash of the first, the third one is only half good, with plenty of toilet humour, which did nothing for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love all three of them; they're a guilty pleasure of mine and never fail to make me laugh.
    The trilogy is great fun, the character Goldmember is hilarious.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    They are very funny, the ultimate guilty pleasure for any Bond fan.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like Austin Powers. Most of the jokes work for me (though some get pretty annoying after a while), poking fun of Bond is done in a more or less tasteful manner and the scores are very entertaining. Oh, and who doesn't like to see Heather Graham as a could-be Bond girl? ;-)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I like Austin Powers. Most of the jokes work for me (though some get pretty annoying after a while), poking fun of Bond is done in a more or less tasteful manner and the scores are very entertaining. Oh, and who doesn't like to see Heather Graham as a could-be Bond girl? ;-)

Yes, the scores are very good. Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello are by themselves a reason to watch the films (at least the two first if I remember correctly).
    [url]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6sbNQoGwXGg?hl=pt_PT&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6sbNQoGwXGg?hl=pt_PT&version=3"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Austin Powers series is great.
    Now I'm waiting for that reboot with Tom Cruise. :p
    tumblr_m9kvmprZMP1rdw6myo1_500.jpg
    I for one love the Austin Powers series. My family and I can always sit down and enjoy one. I would love for them to make a 4th
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I would love for them to make a 4th
    There's a lot of articles out there- old and new- suggesting Myers is 'in talks' to do a fourth film. I wouldn't mind a fourth one, obviously providing it can bring some new ideas and jokes.

http://screenrant.com/austin-powers-4-mike-myers-official-rob-127932/
    http://austinpowers4.info/

The first article asks the question: 'With the first three Austin Powers movies taking the names of International Man of Mystery, The Spy Who Shagged Me, Goldmember, what would you suggest for Austin Powers 4?'

Hmmm. let's see...

From Russia with Shagging
    Swing and Let Die
    Mojo Royale
    Quantum of Alright!
    You Only Shag Forever, Baby, Yeah!
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Sh*gfall
    From Russia With Purrrr!

With a cameo appearance of Kristen Johnston's character Ivana Humpalot, from The Spy Who Shagged Me.
  • Personally, I can't stand the Austin Powers movies. If I want 60's spy cheese, I watch MATT HELM or FLINT movies. If I want a smart Bond send-up, watch the OSS 117 movies... NEST OF SPIES and LOST IN RIO. If in US, they both stream on Netflix
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If I want a smart Bond send-up, watch the OSS 117 movies... NEST OF SPIES and LOST IN RIO. If in US, they both stream on Netflix
    MANY THANKS!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    So @chrisisall, have you watched any of the movies yet? :)
    Neither have I. And I won't seek one out.